• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

RP: 5th XF [Prelude] Point of Origin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tesuro half nodded and half shrugged in response to Ichiro. "She's our Shosa, I'm sure she has a sound plan in mind. We'll be able to put our weapons training to use eventually. As for me though...I'm happy with my station...sciences are something I've wanted to advance myself in."

Kiyoe stood very still, doing her damnedest not to fidget, while the Shosa addressed them. When she'd figured out that the three of them- three grunt soldiers- had been chosen for special duties, she'd been caught in between fearing that it was something menial and hoping that it was some sort of top-secret mission. The revelation that they'd been chosen to pull bridge duty for a shift left her feeling a bit disappointed. This was not only boring, to her eyes, but it seemed like she was expected to treat it like she was being given some great opportunity. At least if she'd been assigned to do some sort of grunt labor, she wouldn't be expected to act thankful for it.

But, oh well. She'd long since learned that being in the military didn't exactly entail always being pleased with her orders. She'd just wait this out.

As the other two trainees were led away, she looked around in brief confusion. Oh, sure, leave me to figure out what the hell I'm supposed to be doing by myself... Seeing no better option, she quickly bowed to the Shosa and turned to follow the other two

Tesuro turned to Keiyo as she caught up with the two of them. He had hardly even noticed she had been left behind, which made him feel a bit guilty. If he would talk to anyone he didn't have to aboard the Yugumo it would definitely be her and Ichiro, seeing as how the three were more or less in the same boat. That thought in mind, he figured it appropriate to at least initiate some form of conversation as they were led to their stations.

"You were assigned to the Navigation Table, Keiyo?" he began. "what do you think of that?"

Creighton turned and led the enlisted from the room, letting them continue their conversations. As he reentered the bridge he saw Itkatsu moving into her station without the enlisted directed to work with her.

Stopping close to the center of the bridge, Creighton turned to address the enlisted crew. "Well then. Santo Hei Kanai, you will be working with Itkatsu-Chui at the navigation station." He then pointed to the long table that the neko was now working at. "She'll help you through this, though I assume you already are familiar with standard navigation practices."

Creighton then turned his attention to Ichiro. "Itto Heisho Kobayashi, you'll be aiding us with the communications network. You should have been given basics from training, the Yugumo will help smooth out any problems you have. The station is over there, at the fore of the bridge." As he finished he pointed to the trio of stations in front of the Command chair.

Then Creighton looked to Tesuro. He looked the Santo Hei over for a second. "And you must be Santo Hei Urameshi. Hmm, science station one. Well you'll be aiding the sensor team with readouts. Since our destination is inside a nebula, we'll need your readouts more than ever. I trust your willing to perform this task. And the Yugumo will also be on hand to aid you. The station is on the far side of the captain's chair." Again he pointed out the location.

Creighton paused as he let his directions set it. "Is that clear? Or are there still questions." He calmly placed a hand on his hip while the other adjusted his uniform's collar.

Kiyoe blinked at the navigation console, looking just a bit bewildered. After a second, she looked up to the Chui, rubbing the back of her head. "I dunno what made her pick me for this... I don't know the first thing about navigation. I mean, I know how to use computers and all, and I know math, and I guess it's kinda in between the two..." She drew off, realizing she was rambling. After another moment of staring at the device helplessly, she turned back to Kiyoko, apologetically stammering, "I, er... would it be possible for us to start from the beginning?"

"Of course. I'll do everything I can." Tesuro responded with a nod. While writing and assessing readouts was not exactly the most exciting job out there, Tesuro was grateful for it and immediately headed off to the laboratories.

When he arrived, there were other personnel busy at work, and Tesuro felt himself just a bit lost. He sent a message to Yugumo using his innate Yamataian abilities. "Yugumo--I apologize for bothering you, but where shall I begin?"

Ichiro was busy checking his stations, one of the first things drilled into him at boot camp. His eyes flew over the readings, everything looked green.

After she arrived at the navigation station Itkatsu took a few moments to look over the table and the projection that Yugumo had displayed for her; while visually satisfying the Neko had always preferred the instantaneousness that SLICS – and now SPINE - data feeds provided, something she attributed to her life as a starship pilot and the moment-to-moment control required. For my new position however, Kiyoko mused, visual representations and telepathic links will suffice.

Setting up such a link with Yugumo and reading through the requirements set for their route, Kiyoko pondered the situation while Creighton sorted out the enlisted trainees. It wasn't long before he had finished introducing them to their duties and the one assigned to Kiyoko, Kanai Kiyoe, was walking her way. The Santo Hei's introduction – if one was polite enough to call it that – left Kiyoko glad that Kyoto War College had included techniques for training; it looked like they were going to get quite the workout.

"Chui Itkatsu Kiyoko,â€

Kiyoko finished up some work in the ready room, and Yugumo signaled that the trainees and the officers had reached their stations.

Time to get to work...

She emerged from the ready room, one of the crewmen stationed at one of the mission operations panels noticed and announce, "Shosa on the bridge.â€

Creighton nodded to Kiyoko at the order. Using the Yugumo, he closed his eyes and comprised a message in his mind and sent it to all onboard the ship outside of the bridge.

Attention. The Yugumo is readying for launch procedures. All personnel are to be at their assigned stations. This ship will be underway without further alert. We expect the best.

Upon finishing and opening his eyes, Creighton looked to the science station. The Yugumo had been giving Tesuro a rundown on basic functions and his duties. Creighton then made a short walk to the pilot's stations. Again he fought back the urge to move the current pilot and take his seat.

"Keep it steady helm." Creighton finally spoke as he watched the two pilots. Turning from them he walked towards the communication stations. Pausing there he stood overseeing the communications network. Looking for anything particular.

"Aye, Shosa." was Ichiro's reply, as he opened up channels. "YSS Seijin no Umi, this is the YSS Yûgumo. We are now leaving port." he said over one, and turned to the other. "Yard Master, this is the YSS Yûgumo requesting launch clearance. Please put out to all other ships to make some clearance so we can maneuver."

Itkatsu Kiyoko said:
"When you fly your power armour you decide on a course after taking into account a great number of factors, you may not be aware of it as you are doing so but it does go on. All we will be doing here is going through many of those same decision processes, just on a different level.â€

As Tesuro was receiving instructions, the Shosa called out his orders to which he bowed and replied, "Yes, Shosa!"
He immediately made his way to the appropriate panels, a bit panicked and initimidated by all of the screens and buttons laid out in front of him. However, he had trained for this sort of situation and was soon able to find what he needed.

"Airlocks--umbilicals disengaged. All ready to launch!" he called out.

Ichiro sent out any messages or info that was to be sent, at all the right security levels. "All communications are green, Shosa."

The Yugumo left the space dock following the course set by Itkatsu and Kiyoe. The Seijin no Umi took up position above them, the two massive vessels on their maiden voyages and sadly due to the war not a ceremony to commemorate it.

"Helm, increase to 0.5c and engage jump at Nav's mark when we are clear of the system.â€

Only Creighton's eyes shifted from the communications station to Kiyoko. It could have gone better. But I'm glad to be off and away. And it is incredibly good to see you in high spirits again. He spoke telepathically with his commanding officer.

His eyes then dropped to watch a series of communications from the Seijin no Umi. They were sending information regarding their planned route and fold timing. "Comm, transfer that info to Navigations." He stated to Ichiro and turned to watch the stars through the bridge windows.

He caught sight of Yamatai in the background and had his thoughts brought back to his home estate. The grapes will be ripening soon. It's a shame I couldn't bring some of the family special aboard. Creighton commented off-topic to Kiyoko.

He carefully moved his legs shoulder length apart and began to brace himself for the fold. He folded his arms over his chest and made a small smile in satisfaction. "Navigations keep us aligned with the Seijin no Umi for the fold. We don't want to lose each other in the nebula." He only turned his head slightly to address the navigations station behind him.

His head the shifted back to the view from the bridge windows. A damn shame. And maybe... A blessing.

Kiyoko smirked, a playful look danced within her eyes as she spoke to Creighton. She held her position overseeing Tesuro at his station, reaching over his shoulder to synchronize their scanners with that of the flagship.

They have no idea...I have been playing the professional officer since they arrived. I was going to play it out until we got well underway, but I don't know how much more of this I can take. Think they have any idea?

Meanwhile in the Galaxy Arboretum some of the crew worked diligently on a secret project for the Shosa. Yugumo was down there, helping one of the crew adjust the simulated night sky to perfection. The simulated Yamatai environment was breath taking; the neatly planted gardens, the softly lit paths weaving around the ponds of koi and the rippling fountains. At the beach of the small lake tables were being put out and the bars were being stocked.

Ichigawa Ritsuko emerged from the lift and onto the bridge, not knowing the illusion Kiyoko had been giving, she strolled up to Kiyoko and said cheerfully, "About time we got those knuckle heads from the base off the ship, a girl can only take so much of their base-rat personalities. So where are Creighton and our liquor?â€

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back