• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Resurrection device principle

Zeroshin

Inactive Member
Soul-transfer devices transfer the brain-wave patterns generated from a living entity and transfer it to another living entity, provided the latter has the computational capacity to support the brain-wave processes the previous "soul" has employed. The Resurrection machine employs similar principles as the Soul-Transfer device, but instead of extracting brain-wave patterns from a living entity, it extracts the subparticle resonances the brain-wave pattern (being electromagnetic in nature) has imprinted on a dead body, or body part. It is preferrable that the body part used will be the most solid part nearest the brain, in humans the skull; since developing osteocytes in the skull are exposed to the EM emissions of brain waves. Of course, there is the matter of errors in pattern translation (see Heisenberg's uncertainty principle) wherein the pattern extracted will contain erroneous, often fatal flaws that will render the resulting pattern unsuitable for transfer. To account for this, missing data must be interpolated based on the life history of the individual.

Extracting brain-wave resonances from body parts is no trivial task. It involves circumventing Heisenberg's uncertainty principle to get feasibly accurate results. Since electromagnetic waves have a very noticeable effect on the arrangement of subatomic particles we can derive the base EM pattern that influenced the particular arrangement of subatomic particles in the body part using quantum computers (computers not based on a binary system but on an infinite number of states, not just 0 and 1). Circumventing Heisenberg's uncertainty principle involves using a very accurate sensor system must be used to record the exact position of every subatomic particle in the body part without disturbing the said positions.

Once the base EM pattern has been determined it can then be uploaded to a suitable body by the conventional means used by the ST system.

Of course only the principle is presented here, I still need more reference material in order to build a prototype. If anyone wishes to build one please let me know so that I can help.

A certain Star Army Research Administration would like to offer your scientist character funding and assistance; a genetics corporation would, too (PNUgen).

There are only three sensor systems I know of that can bypass the Heisenberg's uncertainty principal. Paradox, WARMS, and the Penorse Microscope. Two of which belong to QIS and you can't really go to them so check out WARMS. If your getting support from the imperial corporations then it shouldn't be a problem to get your hands on one.

Bypass the uncertainty principle?
How exactly can they do that? The HUP is a corner stone of quantum physics.

Well Paradox and WARMS cheat. Basically they observe the object in the future. The HUP does apply here but because the infromation is recived before the interaction occurs you can find out exactly where the object is now without disturbing it. Sure it doesn't give you much time to react but its better than nothing.

Basically the same thing as FTL tech. We aren't breaking the laws of physics we are just using them in a different way.

FTL technology does break the laws of physics, since nothing can logically breach it.

From what you're talking about you're using the EPR Paradox to explain the HUP.

FTL does not break the laws of physics because a ship using an FTL drive is not actually moving faster than the speed of light. From any point in the universe other than the path the ship is taking in FTL the ship does appear to be moving faster than the speed of light however from a point on the ships path the ship appears to be moving at a conventional speed.

Also, from a point outside of the path a ship will seem to be traveling X ly while from a point on the path of FTL the ship will only seem to be traviling a distance of signifigently less than X.

The bottom line is that the ship itself is not moving very fast but it is moving a greater distance. No laws of physics are ever breached. This isn't far fetched and is possible. Today's mathamatics even has predicted the exsistance of wormholes although how to form them is still up in the air.

I am also not explaining HUP. However if you know where the partical is before you interact with it then it hasn't been altered until the interaction occurs. This means that HUP has sort of a lag time when applying to Paradox and Warms interactions.

Please, no more replies that are not directly related to the ressurection device idea (such as discussion of FTL drives).

Do we really need another way to cheat death?

The Neko's are nearly immortal as it is, if they aren't killed in combat, and the Soul Savior more or less keeps everyone else from dieing aswell.

Applications of the Resurrection device include resurrecting long-dead people to explain mysteries about our past, and, for military intelligence purposes, bring back agents who died undercover while possessing vital info about the enemy. It could also help in murder investigations and the like.

And also, it isn't technically a way to cheat death. The the original soul from the person is lost forever since the device only reconstructs the base brain-wave pattern from dead persons. We essentially create a new soul from scratch by uploading memories (essentially the base brain-wave pattern) from the source body to a primordial base pattern (a soul without memories-think of it as a blank sheet of paper). So we are creating a whole new individual with the memories of another.

Although brain-wave patterns can be uploaded to almost any suitable body, it is highly recommended that the body has the looks and characteristics of the original to minimize confusion of the target individual.

(unfinished post)

Um. forgive me if I may be wrong.

But, whouldn't the resonence from long dead brainwaves be alittle to degraded to be salvagable?

And...

Well Paradox and WARMS cheat. Basically they observe the object in the future.

So you're saying that WARMS and Paradox use the EPR paradox to bypass the HUP?

Actually this reminds me of something I heard on Resident Evil: The brain still retains an electrical charge (brainwaves?) that can last for years after clinical death. I think it's true, or it might not be but it's certainly plausible.

Cora said:
But, whouldn't the resonence from long dead brainwaves be alittle to degraded to be salvagable?

Absolutely right. That is why we interpolate missing data based on the memory patterns (experiences) of the individual. Of course, there are some cases where complete reconstruction of the base pattern is impossible, therefore resurrection is definitely out of the question in this case. Other minor errors (cognitive dissonance, etc.) can be effectively processed by the natural psychological processes of the individual itself, i.e., the brain-wave "heals" itself over time.

Actually this reminds me of something I heard on Resident Evil: The brain still retains an electrical charge (brainwaves?) that can last for years after clinical death. I think it's true, or it might not be but it's certainly plausible.

Think of it as the pattern produced when a magnetic field goes near a cluster of iron filings. The same principle can also apply to the arrangement of subatomic particles, since it is in their nature to be highly reactive to EM fields, with the possible exception of WIMPs (weakly interacting massive particles). Since osteocytes are constantly producing bone in the skull (to compensate for normal bone loss) the brain-wave pattern can easily imprint a snapshot of the current bran-wave state into the developing bone matter before it completely solidifies.

I'm okay with bringing characters back, so long as there's significant consquences for death. The whole ressurection thing becomes somewhat of a problem when overused.

Here's what I imagine: A character brought back after dying has psychological issues, gradually having to piece together and recognize the memories as their own...

Thjat sounds like the rarely used character renintorduction hook "I lost my memories, and I need to recover them or the course of the story."

It's rarely ever successful, or capable of saving dead storylines.

Yup, I've seen that a LOT of times. We could restrict access to resurrection tech in order to prevent problems like that. Just like aether weapons (is it?).

Zeroshin said:
Yup, I've seen that a LOT of times. We could restrict access to resurrection tech in order to prevent problems like that. Just like aether weapons (is it?).
It's restricted already and so are aether weapons.

Sorry to be out of topic - I am quite new here and I haven't created a character yet. Since I don't like to play a purely scientist character, can I still post the prototype for the resurrection device? By the way, I am thinking about making a field researcher-adventurer character.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back