Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

RP: 188604 Sand World Dig

• Thread starter Thread starter Dumont
  • Start date Start date
"Sir I am very sorry to hear about your son. Was he a guard at the palace on invasion day?" Ace began to pick up the knives and inspect them closely. When he got to on of the broader ones he held it in his hand balancing it. Then he began to toss it from hand to hand before laying it on the counter. "This one was well made I could use this but the price might be a bit high." Ace then looked down to see a very similar knife in the case. "Can I see that one for a second that one looks like it would be great. Also this one as well looks good." Ace pointed to a thrust one that had a heavier handle. "When I could ask Doc to fix up your boy or I could do it myself in exchange for a blade made out of a material I choose but I need to get the supplies."

The old man points out the prices on little hand-written labels strung around the blades, then grumbles as he takes out the cheaper alternative from the glass case. Chances are the old man was trying to sell some of his finer wares to gather money to help support his now disabled son. Having exchanged the money, Tomblyn explains that the price in local currency amounts to around 200 DA a piece for the old man's finest knives. Regular ones were 100 DA, while the cheapest were about 70 DA. All in all, the two had produced about 1500 DA worth of Arcmarks, and an equal amount in local gold coinage.

At the mention of a potential fix, the old man's remaining eye goes wide.

"He weren't a palace guard, no. He were conscripted and forced t' fight in th' field when y' fell from th' sky." He explains, "But if y' give 'im new arms, y'can have yer knives for free, an I'll pick up th' hammer again an' show you space fucks how a real smith makes a blade."

Knowing full well that Ace is not a cybersurgeon, Scrabler gently elbows Ace in the ribs and goes 'niiiiice'. Clearly approving of conning the old man out of his wares.

Ace glared at Scrabler before returning a gentle look to the old man. "It would be my honor to help. I have a few favors I will pull it might take some time at most two years but I am a man of my word." Ace put a chip on the stand. "This is a part of my bio equipment I will leave it here so that when you know I'm not just making an empty promise." Ace looked over at Scrabler and spoke in a language the old man would not understand. "This is a con. I have a copy of that disk at my base so its no problem. Though I will try to hold up my end of the bargain."

Scrabler emphatically approves of this course of action, as Ace receives two of the finest knives this world can offer basically free of charge.

The knives are gleaming polished steel things with pearlescent ivory handles, both carved elegantly with scenes of desert vistas, inlaid with gold leaf to bring out the colors of the dunes at dawn. A work of art each, and each one sharp as a razor. Of course, they were still not able to do the same things as weapons sold beyond this world, but these were fine pieces none the less.

Now armed with blades: Tomblyn points out that Ace has yet to acquire maps, transport, food supplies or anything else of that sort. But he can handle whatever sort of backworld bandits he may find in a knife fight.

"Tomblyn I got the knives first because I don't feel right with out them. Also it was the closest shop. Next we'll get food and supplies." Ace headed off for the food market. "Hi we need supplies for a journey and I would like to know where one could get a good transport and guide for cheap."

On Ace's Address:

Tomblyn clarifies that he is not being impatient. Just that there's still some stuff that would make sense to get, the two with Ace are pretty much cool with doing whatever.

As Ace approaches the markets, and just addresses the collected merchants in general; many simply turn away. Apparently unwilling to speak with anyone from space after what had happened at the palace. A tumblefungus rolls in on the breeze as an uncomfortable silence fills the food markets. A few people even opt to hide behind their stands as a giant, a killbot, and whatever it is they believe Tomblyn to be rock up. Chances are they think he's a werewolf, maybe? It was hard to tell.

Finally a young woman from a nearby stall puts two fingers to her mouth and blows a piercing whistle to get the expedition's attention. She's surprisingly short, with light brownish skin tanned from a lifetime of harsh sun, and a thick mane of sandy-blonde hair. Well, maybe it's sandy-blonde. There might just be so much sand on her that it's hard to tell. She wears simple baggy brown trousers, and an oversized off-white blouse. A wide khaki scarf around her neck. The stall is an array of squat wooden pallets with an open top. Rough-spun cloth hangs over the spongy local algae products that constitute food, and long strips of strange meat.

"We got food here, ya?" She points out. "The dried Algaeia more or less tastes like salt an' grit, but it keeps for a long journey withoutta ice box, and it's got alla tha good stuff innit t' keep you big an' strong. All a growin' body needs, right? We also got some dried salt-eel, an' I can get ya some game meat if you got tha coin."

She crosses her arms and looks over the crew.

"I can also hook y' up with a guide an' some horses, an' a wagon. A'course that'll include a finder's fee t' yours truly."

Ace looked over the woman. "Sure how much but before I get anything. Why aren't you scared of us everyone else apparently is. Also to all you cowering Uso had me locked up in a jail cell till the rebellion that burned the palace I'd rather be on your side then hers. I hate her. If this changes your mind about us come out. Oh and Tomblyn here is a species of alien not a mythical creature." Ace jerked hi thumb at Tomblyn.

As Ace quite loudly announced the words 'rebellion', 'burn the palace' and 'your side', the algal tumblespore proceeded to somehow turn around and roll right on past. A few people, rather than hiding quickly started to pack up their wares and outright flee. Two of Arccos' sheriffs who were watching the square start to watch Ace's expedition very closely.

The vendor who offered them food just raised a single eyebrow "Who's Uso?" she asked.

It seemed, somehow, that an anonymous alien presence which mostly stayed locked inside their armor when in public hadn't made that big of an impression. Uso had taken over with a calamitous battle, and hadn't held a coronation, or made announcements to the public. A lot of people didn't seem to know who their new queen was, to begin with. All they got from Ace's announcement was that he was an escapee from the burnt palace... And the last time the Rebellion came to town, a substantial portion of the city's population was massacred by the aliens.

The city for today was ruled with fear and uncertainty.

"Uso is the tyrant who I regrettably work for. The only reason I'm alive right now is because I'm the only one who knows about the location of old alien tech on this planet. Anyways once we are done fighting the NMX I'm getting out of here with these two."

The vendor woman picks a bit of sandy grit from her teeth with a thumbnail, her raised eyebrow only intensifying in its altitude.

"So ya hate this Uso guy, an' he had ya in prison, but ya work for him now? Alien logic seems kinda ass-backwards..." She grinned bitterly, running her tongue across her now dustless teeth, before pulling back the sheets from her provisions on sale. "No one's gonna trust you t' be on their side, though. No one saw ya in the cell, but just about ev'ryone's lost someone dear since y' turned up... They're still diggin' graves after what you spacemen did at the palace..."

She looked down glumly at her wares. Dried green algae in little disks, long strip of dried fish meat, presumably the 'salt eels' she mentioned. Nothing here seemed particularly appetizing. Then again Uso's crew was subsisting mostly on unappetizing military rations to this day.

"It'll be about a hundred Dead Kings, or twenty a' those Sheriff's papers t' get the basics for a day. Twice that for packed salt-eel. Meat's somethin' I gotta talk to th' hunters about since most o' the game on the mountain was scared off when... Well, when th' mountain blew up."

"I'll get two days worth I can ration it and hunt the rest we need." Ace put two hundred gold coins out. "Yea sorry bout all that I did most of the killing in the town. From what I was told you were the bad guys didn't know that Uso was a twisted one. If I could go back and opt out I would. If I did these two wouldn't have come either. Is there anything I can do for you when I'm free."

"Yeah, well the Osmans were bad too. A' course they never jus' killed ev'ryone, or attacked cityfolk 'cause it were easy."

She wrapped up some algaeia jerky in cloth and handed it to Ace, pocketing the two coins that constituted the entire sum.

"I reckon a lotta folk would go back t' disappearances 'stead 'mass graves." A little sign was hung up on her stall. "I'll go arrange your guide an' such. Jus make sure ya got my finder's fee ready."

Mysterious Guide:

It would take about the better part of an hour for the merchant to return to her stand with what Ace had been asking about. A time during which many of the merchants who had hid or tried to avoid the alien presence had packed up and left. They even managed to take a good chunk of the others at the market with them... By the looks of things it seemed that just about every alien on the planet was given their distance to the extreme these days.

But, still. The woman returned. And she came with a whole covered wagon in tow. Four wheeled, rough cloth coverings, horses that looked... Decent? No one in this group really knew horses, let alone the horses from this world. In the back was a trunk which visibly contained tools for prospecting. All in all it seemed she did a good job.

The Guide rode alongside the wagon on a camel. A lanky woman with long black hair in such a state of tangle and filth that it neared dreadlocks in styling just from neglect, the whole bundle pulled back from her head with a stained bandanna and crammed under a bowler hat. She wore a grimy combination of roughly sewn leathers, and rough-hewn clothes in such a state of disrepair that they were more patching of tears than whole garments. Fingerless gloves showed her long fingers with thick overgrown nails befitting a mad hermit. A pair of preserved raccoon tails hung from a sash at her waist as the only sort of ornamentation... Her whole form was caked in a layer of grainy sand and dried out mud.

Depending on how you looked at it, she was either the best sort of guide, or the worst sort of guide...

"This is Flea." The Merchant woman introduced the guide to Ace. "She knows the deserts around here better than most know their own chins."
The introduction made Flea snort, the lanky guide riding over to look down at Ace and his friends. She stuck a long tobacco pipe between her yellowed teeth, and thumped the side of the wagon with a boot as the Merchant went over to negotiate the money from Tomblyn. All in all it cost about 800 DA worth of Dead Kings for the horses, the guide, the finder's fee and other expenses.

"Get in." Was all Flea had to say, "We're wasting daylight."

"You heard the lady fellas get in." Ace said as he got in. "Leave any trouble makers to us ma'm. We'll handle any trouble we run into. We need to head to some ruins to the east."

Welcome to the Usoregon Trail, Beware Dysentery:

Tomblyn and Scrabler clamber into the wagon, and a strange and aggravating series of events take place. Scrabler, seeking to ride shotgun proves nearly disastrous as his unnatural appearance spooked the horses, causing the team pulling the cart to bolt. Tomblyn, being once upon a time used to relatively primitive desert trappings and a simple lifestyle successfully gets the horses to stop without too much trouble; but the distraction proves to aggravate Flea, and leads to Scrabler sitting in the back of the wagon complaining about exactly how boring a long wagon ride through the wasteland really was.

And the robotic whining went on almost ceaselessly.

Heading east in general seemed to be about the most direction Flea seemed to ask for: The first leg of any trip in that direction led to crossing the mountains... Or, what was left of the mountains. Out of the desert it was a long and painstaking journey uphill. The trail would take Ace and his crew through what once was the Osman Hunting Reserve. Evergreen forests that clung to the rain shadow of the mountain, and one of the few places on the planet where green things could still grow.

But the winding path Flea takes draws Ace and company through the burnt out shell of the forest. Blackened trunks of trees scorched by heat of the explosion that leveled Mt. Gleipnir, and the occasional scorched husk of an abandoned hunting lodge which was lost in the forest fires. All the while, peeking through the trees was the magnificent view of the massive crater that was one the mountain where Cyrus would start his own base... Tiny figures in the distance shoveling through the wreckage, maybe workers sorting debris for Vier's refinery, or else Ragnarok scavengers looking for anything salvageable from the destroyed base.

Ultimately, following this trail would take the entire first day of the trip. Clearing the mountain would get them out through the pass by the next morning. But this expedition was still Ace's, to a degree. The first stop for a meal finds Ace and company stopping in a clearing of blackened earth surrounded by scorched pillars of trees turned charcoal, facing a meal of foul-tasting gritty algae rations.

Scrabler complains primarily of this trip being boring, and not likely profitable if they're just going to these ruins and back. He suggests that the group take the time to stop and loot some of the ruined hunting lodges where Osman nobility once had free roam.
Tomblyn is more pre-occupied with the rationing of food, expressing total dislike of the foul supplies the planet can offer. This place was once one of the rare viable hunting grounds on the planet, and Tomblyn suggests that it's plausible for them to stop and hunt for extra rations.
Flea spends the time eating her own packed supplies, and looking over the maps, navigating possible paths. She seems mostly on the side of keeping up the pace and reaching the ruins sooner, although doesn't seem to be that friendly and mostly keeps apart from the group.

Ace, being the nominal leader of the expedition gets to choose!

Ace thought over the options before talking. "Scrabler go to the lodges and grab anything that will be of use to us or of value. I'll go hunting and Tomblyn can you go over the route with Flea."

To Split a Party:

Scrabler
seems overjoyed to do a bit of looting, and at the order stalks off into the woods in order to look for any holdouts of the old order on this planet that fled to the woods, visibly loading his grenade launcher on the way. Sending Scrabler out like this feels like a wildcard being played.

Flea seems annoyed at the intrusion on her role as navigator, as well as the extension of the journey. But Tomblyn somehow persists at being inoffensive and the two soon sit down to a tense discussion of how the strange and haggard woman will be leading them.

Ace finds himself out in the wilderness, the outer slopes of this side of the mountain reduced to a long sweeping landscape of burnt black tree trunks and scorched earth. Being experienced in wilderness survival, Ace discovers that this isn't the best hunting ground by far. Even when this part of the world wasn't burnt down, it's unlikely that it ever had that much wild game worth hunting to begin with. Still, there are some signs of life left after the blastwave.

Ace would know that anything which could have gone to ground would have done so before the bombs hit. His best bet would be searching for anything which would have fled under the ground, trapping small burrowing animals would probably still be viable but time consuming. Otherwise heading out towards the side of the mountain not scorched by the bomb blast, or searching for areas around caves where other forms of game might have sought shelter were completely viable.

Ace decided that later he would return to the wagon to get rope to set up traps so that they could catch some gain on their way back through but for now he went off towards the caves while keeping an eye out for any tracks or trails that survived the explosion.

Ace finds no tracks which survived the explosion... But he does find tracks which were made after the explosion.

Heading up the mountain to where it becomes more rocky and craggy, he finds himself looking over an impressive view of the small bay Ragna-city inhabits. The humble city looks strangely peaceful for all the damage and death it had seen over the last few months, hugging the green shores clogged with algae. All of it is marred in a few ways. The burnt husk of the palace, still smouldering slightly. The kilometer long shipwreck crawling with the tiny silhouettes. But still, up here in the smooth wind- and sand-blasted highlands, with a nice sea view and the scent of sea air blowing up the mountain it feels like a good day.

And then Ace finds his tracks. Quite obvious ones, looking like a small herd or pack of animals had gone through the area. The initial signs are obvious: Ash is upturned on the ground, dirt disturbed, small burnt out shrubs are trampled. It looked like the group went down from this altitude to head down into the surviving woods, leaving the area where the caves are.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back