• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Senate: Misc Senate Application Thread

The 3 previous entries are approved!

Not sure if this is required for me to cast a vote. Feel free to reject if it's not welcome. No skin off my teeth.

Player Name: raz
Star System requested: Tami
Star System's population: Not listed but enough to have a Senator for the entirety of its history
Is this a current Star System in the YSE? Yes
Do you roleplay in Yamatai? Yes
Why did you choose this system? My fleet, the old Ninth Fleet, was based there from its creation until its destruction. My fleet characters fought as insurgents there during the 2nd Mishhu War. The current "fleet" that my characters play in is based there in the Ninth's old underground base. My characters often visit Hoshi Ryusei Ranch on holiday.
What plans do you have to help this star system and the YSE? Sure. Issues important to Tamians include keeping the planet beautiful (likely by way of maintaining it as a nature preserve under the auspices of it being a place for the Star Army to train in forests) and bolstering the eco-tourism or game hunting industries, as well as providing livestock subsidies (Anisa gives us grain, Tami could give the empire some quality steaks maybe). OOCly, I will probably detail the Ninth Fleet's old base complex at some point.
Do you have a character to use as a senator? Yes. Maeda Yusuke has been Tami's only Senator so far. If he's still there after this application then I might have him retire and be a civilian since the Ninth Fleet doesn't exist anymore.

As for my previous request about Tatiana above in the thread, I don't really mind. That planet has too many hands in its pie for anyone to really represent it here best, and with @demibear having Fujiko's Senator I think Tatiana is in a good place to be more of a melting pot with different interests all set up there (Saikas with the governorship in the capital, Mizumitsus hanging out in Dog Mountain City, refugees butting up against ecological laws making things difficult for everyone).

Just so you know, systems need 1,000,000 population to get a Senator. I have often considered SAINT just mass producing a bunch of Snowy Neko to get a Senate vote but always held off because it’d be SAINT being overtly political. And SAINT despises being involved in politics. So it’s up to Wes and Ame if they want the Star Army and SAINT to go that route, you should talk to them.

Just so you know, systems need 1,000,000 population to get a Senator. I have often considered SAINT just mass producing a bunch of Snowy Neko to get a Senate vote but always held off because it’d be SAINT being overtly political. So it’s up to Wes and Ame if they want the Star Army and SAINT to go that route, you should talk to them.
I felt like it wouldn't be a deliberate thing with them just mass producing Nekos just to get a senate vote. It would be more just "natural" growth of the population over a number of years and suddenly they say "oh look we have a million now" after producing a bunch of Snowy Nekos for the Kuvexian War and what not. So it wouldn't have been done with deliberate intent to get a senate seat, but rather would be a natural result of more Nekos moving in, Snowy/Kuro Nekos being created, the SAINT base possibly being expanded, Etc.

Basically natural growth happening over a number of years, since whatever YE 2012 was.

Last edited:
Plus there might be a fairly significant civilian/retiree population out there. The wiki makes it look like a pretty little world.

I really want to move away from people thinking SAINT is a shadowy political organization that pulls governmental strings. Getting away from that to make them a completely military organization that does what truly kino spies and commandos do is more important to me as manager. Putting a public spotlight on a black panel is counterintuitive to how they should be represented to me. That said, Vicky needs a main contact and Akahana would do great. I know this is a) not relevant to current events on the site and b) a major step down from actual senator, but I thought it worth mentioning.

I'll be sure to outline more of the growth of Vicky soon. But I don't think it's at Beijing underground bunkers that house a million levels or near them. Max at 3x its 2012 size. Training a host of highly intellectual superhumans with niche physical prowess and skills then forcing them to live underground with nothing to do besides train each other and younglings, never to use their skills, sounds like a very distinct form of torture that only the enemies of the empire deserves.

If you really want to generate RP for Vicky in some other way, I am open to ideas and also want to help your participation in the org. I just don't want to promote a public government aspect to SAINT.

While I agree that not even the enemies of the Empire deserve that kind of torture, I imagine there's another aspect to the growth of the facility there. Vicky is an ice world, making it ideal for other trainings than just SAINT. And with the recent respect for and pride of the Star Army Intelligence community, people wouldn't be opposed to dealing with SAINT more publicly.

I firmly believe that Vicky likely has not been purely a SAINT facility in some time, and that RP for it is just waiting to happen. With the number of retirees and instructors and instructor families there, even if it is mostly intelligence community, it has likely reached a million, just assuming we're sticking with that archaic rule.

Moreover, the intelligence community is a necessary part of Yamatai. With their positions, ideas, and arguments heard in the Senate, they can continue being a valued and relevant part of the SARP universe.

I'm gonna wait for @Wes to weigh in, but this isn't Akahana trying to represent SAINT as an organization. This is her representing the people of Vicky.

I'd do another planet but all of my Nekos are from Nataria or Yamatai and both of those planets are taken. I'm not really in the mood to make an NPC senator who does nothing but political RP, so if this doesn't work out then I probably just won't bother with the senate tbh.

Okay, I get that. I thought to say that partly because Vicky doesn't have a population of note that isn't SAINT. From an IC perspective, it would look like the SAINT senator.

Maybe there's a way to make senators more exciting to play outside of political RP? I know there are a few examples of them RPing out just adding different stuff to the planets they represent. If this is the only system you want to do that with, it's understandable.

I don't really care what planet I get, it's more that I as a writer wanted to play in the Senate. Unfortunately, I didn't think too hard about diversifying where my Nekos were born when I made them, so Akahana is really the only active one I have that isn't from Nataria. I guess in theory they could represent other planets, but they'd need a connection to said planet that I haven't RPed out yet.

Well, one idea is if you have an appropriate character you can request transfer orders to a Star Army base in an unclaimed system.

I mean, Kanzaki Akahana  is the SAINT analyst aboard the YSS Koun, so she's already plenty exciting outside of political RP.

I'm gonna drop this as it seems like it isn't very popular, but I have something to add:
Senators are supposed to be plausibly elected by the local population.
If this is the case, then I guess we have to ask how a pizza girl got elected as Senator of Shugosha or how a pro-civilian/pro-local government senator got elected to represent a military planet, who also somehow hasn't gotten recalled after being kicked out the military.

Last edited:
RPG-D RPGfix
Back