• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

Sharie-class Battleship

It's a sci-fi gun that works on sci-fi principles to fire it's sci-fi gun.

That being said, making it a wide cone, shouldn't that lower it's damage? And then make the focused fire version of it the full power?

shouldn't that lower it's damage?
No. It takes up a huge portion of the ship and it only does DR 5. The wide beam is the only reason to justify such a large weapon.

It was pointed out to me that the Plumeria/Sakura's main gun had the same feature, so I guess I've no leg to stand on concerning a lower level of damage on the wide spray setting.

From a game design standpoint, though, it feels flawed.

Well, see it this way:

The Plumeria has a main cannon, which can deploy a wider cone effect with its aether shock cannon. The 28 smaller turrets the Sharie has probably are the single shot version without a greater field of fire. The larger main cannon achieves what it does through something like a minute or so of charging time to hit many targets.

In a minute, a turreted cannon could attack six targets... so on squadron level warfare, this would give the main gun a ~5 attacks per minutes if facing a 5 ship squadron. The more vessels in the area of effect, the more potentially effective the weapon becomes (hence it's classification as an anti-fleet weapon).

As for the speed of the weapon, well, seeing this is pretty much a scalar wave it should go as fast as a beam... and that's 1c. The further you are, the better the chances the attack can be avoided. Unless Wes meant for it to flood the whole area at once... but previous imagery and roleplay description leads me to believe it's an attack that goes from attacker to target, rather than fill a wide area instantly.

In such circumstances, though, the weapon is still viable as a deterrent for any enemy to dare get closer, or something that can win your side some time by forcing the enemy to break formation to dodge (provided Anti-FTL conditions allow that).

If you think a bit on it, it makes sense. This is as much to destroy as it is to gain some control of the battlefield.

Additionally, it's important to note that these weapons have always been recorded as potentially inflicting abnormalities in the space they are used, perhaps making faster-than-light technology not function as well. Because of that, it is usually a sore issue to use the wide-cone more in an allied populated system that normally sees its fair share of traffic. This is one of the bigger reasons why single-shot mode on the aether shock cannons was made (not to mention the faster cycling time made it a better weapon to use in smaller skirmishes).

I'd like to approve this now, if there are no further objections.

Even once approved, I intend to continue tweaking it, mainly adding new interior compartments and art for those inner spaces, as I eventually want to make the ship ready for use as a plot ship setting.

Not an objection so much as a question:

Aren't you going to add the 28 turrets on the Sharie? I mean, in a "this is a picture of the Sharie with its anti-ship aether turrets deployed" fashion?

It'd be an interesting addition, I think.

It still needs a write up in some form for the superheavy turrets (at least a paragraph or something).

Also, when did pure Aether systems make matter directly? All of the aether systems (beam rifles, shock arrays, bombs, generators, etc.) seen up until this where energy-only systems. Making it capable of directly producing energy (as opposed to some second system using the immense power output to create it) really mixes it up IMO. Also, how would these function in a anti-aether field? They are /called/ 'turbo *aether* plasma' engines.

Here's a page for the main turrets:
https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=st ... avy_turret

As for aether to matter, my impression is that when properly handled, the aether energy will form into particles in a post-big-bang fashion.

I think the ship is ready for approval now.

@Fred: I will be adding more art, including art with the turrets deployed, in the near future.

Are the point defense turrets retractable too? And can you write a blurb about that or include them in the artwork?

They are too small and numerous to put into the art due to technical limitations (I can only handle a certain amount of polygons on this laptop). I didn't really intend for them to be retractable, but I guess they could. I don't think it really matters. Let's just say they are.

If they go beyond "Effective Range" wouldn't the DR begin to gradually decrease as the beams lose cohesion? Or rather, as power is not great enough to sustain it at such a range?

Well, I just figured the tracking systems couldn't reliably hit a moving starship that would take the beam more than 3 seconds to reach, and that the subspace encasement would wear out at about that range anyway (I don't see it lasting more than a few seconds). I suppose a GM could reduce damage a notch if they managed to hit something at that range.

Comparatively speaking, the IES systems have the ability to track at more extreme ranges (This may have however changed since I was developing for the Empire way back when). KAMI or PANT-IES at an indefinite range, or 120 LY given the TQP-RDD.

Something I had forgot to add in my previous post was. What of degradation of the beam, as Aether begins to decay as a possibility?

We'll count the beam as having rapid degradation once it's past its posted range (not the effective range). The TQP-RDD isn't really a targeting sensor.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back