• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Ship build times

ME, Literally the first line: "Im not saying anything bad about the NDC. I just heard a good example of this when we where talking about them and jack was even part of that conversation" as a way to ensure that nobody in that faction assumes i am bad-mouthing their faction because im going to mention them in a few lines as a smaller faction and by mentioning them and a topic ive discovered a very defensive attitude about the NDC and anything ever.

Jack: NOW LISTEN HERE!

Aint no bully or faction bullying going on here, Fam. All i said is that ships are expensive and that losing them shouldnt be something ANY faction can simply shrug off for reasons of morale, cost, material, and manpower.

Nepleslian ships sometimes carry THOUSANDS of crewmen and marines and the total value of producing that ship, the stowed matieral and ammunition and vehicles and weapons and just about anything onboard could add up to MILLIONS of DA for non-capital ships alone. Because theres a difference in the cost and quality of a warship and a civilian counterpart that might cost like 300,000 DA.

Thats not something you can just write off in a fleet engagement when you are losing dozens of ships. So the cost of these ships for any faction should be felt and the time it takes to produce them be longer and each ship be appreciated by that faction.

While going with powers instead of linear growth makes sense, increasing the ship numbers too far will make new classes OOCly take too long to roll out and interest in the class will be lost. We need to remember that and balance that practical OOC concern with the IC plausibility. Perhaps we can have the prototype of a ship be a 'freebie' for plot ship founding purposes, assuming that the time to develop it was retroactive to when the submission was being written?

I think that having the prototype of a ship be a freebie before mass production makes sense, as it's used as the testbed for the development of the class before it's commissioned and mass produced. I.E, once the article is approved, the first ship of the class can be presumed to have been commissioned, and the rest under construction.

Major thing is not only a test bed but sometimes the first ship in the line are abit unique in there setup due to trails. As a example if if you look at the Courageous class carriers the first in the line had a different setup (This was also do to it being converted). Also sometimes they do limited runs in production like Mk.I And Mk.II classes end up happening very early in production runs. So in short yeah I mean not only the prototype but the first initial run could be reasonable especially since more then one shipyard could be running the production of that ship.

Also the Nep question in regards to the new ships being produced I mean due to the loss of previous data I think there should be some retro active for the ships to give a boost in numbers for production to replace the ghost ships. Not only will this sound better to hear different ship types in lore/news or plots but means we can have a shorter roll out to replace existing ghost ships.

So yeah in summary newer stuff a prototype or even a series of prototypes (very very limited like 10 ships or maybe based on tier) initial run and then normal production rates what ever we agree on.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back