Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

Star Army Is Fat

Status
Not open for further replies.
The server needs to go on a diet, lol. Due to high disk-space usage, I'm making some tweaks to the site to slow down the amount of disk space the site is using.

Here's a non-comprehensive list:
  • Reduced max file upload size from about 20 MB to 12 MB
  • Keep less copies of automated backups of the forum
  • Dropped support for non-English languages on the wiki
  • Working on clearing out orphan media files on the wiki (also trying to find a way to find and remove duplicates)
  • Stopped rehosting external images in forum posts (cached instead)
  • Reduced cache duration on externally hosted image
  • Recommended server tries a low-carb option instead of stuffing its face with the Double Quarter Pounder with Cheese like its webmaster is doing
Stuff you can do as a user to help:
  • Use reasonably web-sized images on wiki pages, not gargantuan pics
  • Request deletion of unused wiki images (ask me in conversation)

I don't know why, but on the wiki it now says the namespace that the article is in in things such as the search box and on search results pages.
Sorry; was asking about this. I get the namespace moving for images, but did we change/update wiki software for the search bit to happen?

Because we use the setting "Use First Header as Page Title" the pages all have whatever ====== Title ====== we give them instead of showing something like stararmy:weapons:armor_service_pistol_type_29 -- but the side effect is that we don't see the namespace. I've been constantly editing people's titles to be more specific (if 3 factions make all a page titled "Military Equipment" that looks really awkward in a search).

Recently I installed a plugin that puts the namespace in brackets after the page title so you can know which namespace it's living in. This has been really useful to me as I try to organize wiki pages (e.g. moving Star Army equipment into StarArmy:Equipment: ). One fun thing about it is that it will use the page title of a matching namespace (for example, pages in stararmy:equipment: will have the page title from stararmy:equipment (which is Star Army Equipment) appear in the brackets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back