• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Star Trek: Nightmare Mode

Wes

Founder & Admin
Staff Member
🌸 FM of Yamatai
🎖️ Game Master
🎨 Media Gallery
So, it's less than three months away until the movie Star Trek: Beyond is released, and I'm concerned that there's basically nothing happening in terms of marketing from Paramount.

Here's the trailer.

It basically gives away whole movie. Oh, were you starting to finally come around to the look of the new Enterprise? too bad, it gets blown up, and the crew gets captured and, with the help of some alien fighter, the main characters have to fight the scaly faced generic alien bad guy of the day to solve the situation. More of the same stuff as the JJ movies where story is something that's just something used to glue together action scenes.

Meanwhile, Axanar is still held up in the CBS lawsuit (I hope Axanar wins!) and there's a court battle over whether or not the Klingon Language can be copyrighted. CBS has also just torpedoed FEDERATION RISING, the sequel to the fan film Star Trek Horizon.

CBS is also planning to release a new Star Trek series in January 2017 (possibly why it's so litigious lately) which will reportedly be filmed in Toronto and will be an anthology series where each season takes place in a new part of the Star Trek timeline, starting with after the TOS movies. The show is going to play on CBS all access, which is CBS's lame attempt to make their own Hulu, and my opinion is that putting it there instead of on real TV or major streaming services like Netflix will doom it to low viewership and thus early cancellation.

I think it's clear that the Paramount/CBS split of Star Trek is the worse thing that could have happened to the franchise that I loved so much growing up. The new movies are forgettable garbage, fan film makers are being persecuted, and the series is the internet age equivalent of direct-to-VHS. In an ideal world, the copyright for the TOS would have expired by now (I feel like copyrights should only last like 20-25 years, honestly), and the IP would be in the hands of the fans, who have been making amazing stuff like Star Trek Continues and Star Trek New Voyages/Phase II.

Yeah by far my favorite show of all time was TNG. That was a major catalyst for launching me into the world of sci-fi, at all. It's still something I watch and enjoy on a regular basis. But I agree, the new movies are pretty well just complete trash. Star Trek, TNG, and DS9 had good story lines and cared about their writing. I can't speak for anything after that, because I stopped watching when Voyager came along. But these movies...well, it's already been said.

I actually quite liked Voyager, and unfortunately I've never got to really get into Enterprise because of all Army-related stuff going on in my life from 2000-2004. It's a real shame that it's been well over a decade since we had fresh Star Trek on network TV.

I'm reserving judgment for Beyond. I actually have some bit of faith in Simon Pegg and how much he likes Star Trek, and he himself admitted that the marketting guys goofed in doing the trailer and that it didn't represent or flatter the StarTrek moments he wanted this movie to have.

Do I hate the idea of the Enterprise yet again just being a pretty victim that just gets shot at and can't amount to much? Yes. It pisses me off and I don't know where this is going. But I've read several articles about it on Trekcore.com (excellent news site) with interviews that have me take a breath and figure it might be enjoyable after all.

They seem optimistic about laying the groundwork for a 4th movie right now. I've heard allusions of messing the Enterprise up being an excuse to "fixing" some things in the design - and, well, nuTrek Enterprise did look a bit awkward. If not, considering this is an alternate universe, I wouldn't be against Kirk's crew ending up on another ship... according to production notes, the Excelsior almost happened in Star Trek IV. I could live with that.

There's a thought: Maybe to prevent "brand confusion" with CBS (TV) Star Trek, Paramount (movie) Star Trek is destroying the ship to bring in another design. Meanwhile, the new Star Trek series is not going to be set on the Enterprise.

Possible. Yeah.

As for the fan series, I wasn't heavily invested or hopeful about them. Oh, sure, I ohh-haaaaed the 20-minute Axanar documentary... but I already felt lucky to have this much so I'm not upset not to have gotten more (didn't contribute to the Kickstarter). Horizon seemed right at a glance, but I wasn't interested enough to sit through it to watch the fan-film, so, I'm not shedding any tears over the sequel's cancellation.

As for CBS All Access... my expectation is that the new Star Trek series will be heavily pirated for not being more widely available than All Access (Canadians don't have access to All Access >_< ). To me, this'll probably be "punishment" for not making it more available.

I would say the current fan project that has me excited for Trek is the BETA fleet coming. I think it's really good.
http://betafleet.tumblr.com/

If I might put in my two cents - I've always been a huge Trek fan, and I've done research into how Star Trek survived the gap between TOS and TNG. Essentially it survived and remained unforgotten because of fan projects like the ones CBS is persecuting. I get that copyright crap is as bad now as it's ever been, but it still doesn't sit well that the people who have rights to the IP are being as harsh as they are to the people who kept the series alive in our hearts and minds.

I do agree, though, that the Star Trek series is going straight to the treasure troves of the pirates. It would anyway, but that sounds like something that would draw their immediate attention.

Yeah, the new trailer is far superior. We, actually, get a taste for some sense of a storyline rather than just "Hey check it out, aliens, fighting and explosions."

The rule dictating that "only every other Star Trek movie is good" is still in play. Galaxy Quest showed that an unofficial Star Trek can eat a "good" slot, so someone must have decided that maybe they can get Axanar to eat a "bad" slot and thus have two back-to-back theatrical releases of good quality. Part of the plan is to make sure that Axanar has a high enough profile that it can be counted as a Trek movie and tying it up in litigation was the means to that end. Their plan to sacrifice it may backfire if Axanar takes too long or fails to release, but a film with a fan scale budget isn't going to have the luxury of wallowing in post, so the decision should be prompt. However, because of their small scale, the Axanar team may be able to turn around a second production before the next theatrical release. We will have to wait to see if CBS' machinations bear them sweet fruit.

Well that is certainly unexpected, the Axanar lawsuit is a slam-dunk case for Paramount. Here you have another studio, making money off the Star Trek IP, and using that money to pay salaries and run their own studio.

That would be like someone making and selling SARP movies and merch and keeping all the profits for themselves.

J.J.'s big thing is being able to market movies. He's pretty much the best there is at it in the game right now so from a marketing perspective the move makes sense but there has to be something more to it than this. Maybe they worked out a deal for Axanar to pay for the IP? Because the alternatives don't seem to make much sense.

If they dropped the lawsuit without getting paid for the IP, then Paramount has no footing to protect their IP. Its basically open season for anyone to make and sell star-trek stuff. While that might be great for fans, I can't see Paramount opening up an expensive IP like Star Trek up to public domain. Sure they've had a really hard time making a profit off it but if studios like fox have shown us anything its that they'll hold onto IP once they've paid for it.

Oh, did you guys hear that Star Trek Online, the FTP MMORPG, is coming to console soon?

Alright, comparing the first trailer to the second, I love the second much more. It brings back more of that Star Trek feel. This isn't about fighting and conflict. I can't deny that I enjoyed ST 2009 and Into Darkness, as action movies, but they weren't really Star Trek.

2:10 - Correct me if I'm wrong but I think I saw the Enterprise NX-01 during that trailer? Does this mean I need to watch ENT?

And I did not hear about STO coming to console. Interesting but, I haven't played STO in months. Will there be a new expansion on the level of "Legacy of Romulus" during the console release?

Yes. They're releasing a new faction which is in the TOS timeline, but related to the rest of the game via time travel shenanigans.

...which is a thing now, a big war was won through the development of time travel technology - and now the genie is out of the bag and some characters are starting to misuse it... ultimately leading to the "Temporal Commission" organisation that vessels such as the U.S.S. Relativity timeship from Voyager are part of to preserve the timeline.

The main STO campaign is in the 25th century, and the Relativity comes from the 26th century. So, chronologically, it kinds of stands up that we would start to dabble in such notions.

Yes, it's a TOS-themed expansion.

And get this...leaked screenshots have shown the JJverse bridge and a unique bridge officer character from the 2009 Star Trek movie.

So apparently STO is going to have a crossover with the alternate timeline Star Trek. Wow! I never expected that.

ai.imgur.com_ArMf7L5.jpg
ai.imgur.com_tnaawC2.jpg

I've known for some time, but I didn't know if you approved of datamined information since it breaks the Cryptic TOS.
I figured you might have wanted to avoid references to such leaks on Star Army with the above in consideration.
Otherwise, there was a lot I had access to that I could've shared sometime ago if people didn't mind being spoiled from future offerings in the game.

Is this now an STO thread? I thought we already had one.

What can you say about something so random and horrible? The guy was younger than I am. Just awful. *shakes head*

RPG-D RPGfix
Back