• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Structured Data Updates for Wiki Pages

If you missed the last meeting, you might not have heard about the structure data that's being added to wiki pages. What is that, you ask? Well, basically it's tagging pages with nuggets of data (like for example tagging character pages with ranks or occupation or species). If namespaces or pages are added to a schema (think of a little database) under the main edit field you'll see some extra boxes. These fields are actually hugely useful to the site because they can be used to make lists of characters like:
  • Listing every SAOY character who hasn't been promoted in over 3 years
  • Listing all Elysian characters
  • Listing all locations in the setting and sorting them by type and faction
  • Finding all the Star Army's clerks
  • AUTOMATED CREW ROSTERS THE GM DOESN'T HAVE TO EDIT or go into "wiki code table hell" for!
  • Automatically updated list of playable species (already implemented)
Right now the Star Army of Yamatai is kind of the guinea pig for a lot of these but I hope to use the learning experiences when I roll these useful tools out to the other factions.

Speaking of growing pains...

We've updated the way that ranks work in struct data. Instead of looking up a rank page, it talks to the new stararmy_ranks database and provides a convenient dropdown. The purpose was continuing work to try to get ranks to sort by rank on crew roster. Unfortunately this means all rank fields on character bios will have to be updated to use the new system. If you're a GM you can change your crew roster to use the column saoy_rank_old instead of saoy_rank if you want to use the old data for now.

As I continue to roll out new struct stuff, I'm going to use this thread to post updates.

Also, we have TONS and TONS of older pages that need to be tagged with data so they're findable. I have been doing this almost all by myself and need help with the workload. Please help me. You can offer help in this thread and I'll assign you a small task like "update struct data for all star systems that start with P on this page" and if we work as a community it will go fast.

Added product category: Drones & Robots

I'm thinking we should add a fielded_by to the product thing, so other organizations can make equipment lists (would have to accept multiple values)

Okay, I added it as product_usedby

I've been trying down the cause of an error where dropdown lists in LOOKUP fields where once schema talks to another one which should show titles for all pages are showing some pages as page names, and it appears that this is happening when I put struct data in a WIP page and then move it.

In order to prevent more of this from happening I've removed all struct assignments from WIP namespaces. Add the struct data AFTER the page is already in its permanent location.

I'd like to suggest adding a Fleet Field to the Star Army Roster struct. That way there can be a fleet-level roster.

Add "parent_product" field so that accessories and ammunition can be connected to the products they are built for.

@Wes

I've added a dropdown to the tag schema. It's called "Needs update?" and has options: Content, Damage Rating, History, Template

It's basically an update request system and we can use it to make a list of pages that need attention.

Added saoy_orders (URL) to stararmy_personnel for orders threads links

When you reactivate it can you make "template" a reason needed for update? ;)

Alright, I must of missed that update when I was going through

Had to check it a few times, but I am unable to find the building classification in the Supply Classification. Could this be added? Or does it fall under a different name?

Do you mean for Star Army Logistics? The struct fields are based on the article - the article would need to be updated first.

You can categorize products as buildings already, and presumably in transit the buildings would be classified as building materials or components.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back