• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Testing New Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm currently working on a the new chat add-on (Chat By Siropu) that is intended to replace the current Shoutbox (TaigaChat). You're welcome to go in there and test it out and give me any feedback you have.

One of the many new features is we have have multiple rooms.
  • If you're a GM, you can make a new room.
  • If you're a Site Supporter, you can make 2 new rooms.
  • You can only join 1 room at a time right now, but the ability to be in multiple rooms is confirmed to be coming in a future release.

The chat box looks grating on other themes due to color choices. The Dark Green/Blue on the Yui's Blood Red theme for example.

The chatbox, even when maximized, only uses 30-40% of my screen vertically and maybe 40-50% horizontally. I liked being able to position the window on the old shoutbox so that the chat portion took up nearly all of the screen. This is grating on the PC, and makes chat very difficult to use on Android when holding the phone vertically. (Holding the phone horizontally causes the shoutbox to take up the entire screen which is great!)

Thank you for your feedback. The colors on the Yui's Blood theme have been corrected. I am investigating a way to make our chat content/messages area bigger.

-Enabled Colors and Color Picker
-Disabled embedding media for the sake of page load times.

No, but there's an internal archive system.

chat archive.png

A couple of things:

1) If you select the "enable maximized mode" and open the chat on the main page it fills the entire screen. At least for me using Old-School Black. I have not tested with other themes. For some reason the actual chat page is still much smaller taking up only about half my screen.

2) Since people frequently complain about it: If you select "disable chat" it will only display the chat if you click on the chat tab at the top of the forum page, which prevents the chat from affecting other tabs, and possibly would solve the problem of system burden for those who were experiencing problems with multiple chat instances running.

Hopefully this is useful to people who might not already be using this.

1) If you select the "enable maximized mode" and open the chat on the main page it fills the entire screen.
That is the intended functionality. I actually already doubled the height of the chat page chat window. Unfortunately this also made it larger for the other modes (top of forum list, etc).

So, I was greeted with a continuously updating real time chat bar that constantly beeps at me when I logged on to check my soundless play-by-post message board RP site today. Amazing.

This thing does not save options if you are not currently logged in. So if I was to try to check the site from a new computer I would have to see this again and listen to all of the beeping. I would assume all new guests will have to deal with this hassle as well. Even when disabled and logged in to my account so it will remember my options, it still puts a giant ENABLE CHAT button on the side of the screen. Again, like with the Shoutbox, I had to install and use a third party addon in order to block this thing from appearing on every page and scrolling to constantly stay where I can see it/am forced to see it.

It also doesn't even display right half the time in Chrome, so to even get to the options button I have to resize my window to make the options bar visible again.

This thing does not save options if you are not currently logged in.
Settings are per account. If it doesn't know who you are, it doesn't know what your preferences are.

I turned off sound for guests/default for now. This means if you haven't saved your settings yet you may have to tell it to turn in back on if you want it.

Well I disabled the chat when in the forums. In fact the tab that I am on, doesn't show it. But when I opened up a different thread in a new browser, the chat is active again in the bottom.

I had to disable it, both in Chrome and IE it as causing a major slow down in the browser.

I want guests checking out the site to get engaged and chat with us, which is why I have it showing up to guests/logged out people. We have already seen 3-4 guests show up and talk with us since we turned it on, which has been cool.

But if it's slowing people down, I'll keep it in the chat page only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back