• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Threat of full scale aetheric shock warfare: Mutually assured destruction?

OsakanOne

Retired Member
Inactive Member
In much the same way we have nuclear weapons, in SARP we have shock weapons capable of total non-recoverable destruction. does a circumstance of full-scale warfare to wipe out another nation with first-strike or second-strike mutually assured destruction exist as a deterrent from any such first strike?

I'm very interested to know what kind of infrastructures, systems and equipment are in place for this sort of thing.

I have something of a weird suggestion. A new classification of Master. We have Game-Masters. We have Faction Managers.

Why don't we have Conflict Masters?

GMs from different conflicted plots who agree the terms of a given conflict between two factions, regardless of its size to ensure the conflict events never exceed a set size -- and only they know the permanent outcome of the events, so it remains unknown and up in the air to players.

In this way, we could take the power out of the people who are too heavily invested in their factions to allow for percieved losses or make entirely unbiased decisions (Doc for the Lorath, Wes for Yamatai) and put a small acceptable-loss portion in the hands of someone who isn't quite as heavily invested emotionally and have a set of events that will spur competitive roleplay between factions?

In this specific case, if there's going to be a conflict between Lor and Yamatai on a cold-war basis, I'd like to nominate myself and Gallant to run this. It'd mostly be small border skirmishes -- not live-fire but encounters and posturing that have everyone on edge because of the high stakes involved in the event we do go to a mutually-assured-destruction scenario.

In this way, PvP faction events cannot happen until a Conflict Master has been nominated and the terms agreed to.

If this is used in true warfare, the way it would be done would be to partition off an acceptable loss and essentially either gamble or agree to lose an equal amount or decide one side is the winner and the other is the loser -- but for the loser to gain something else that has a tangible worth to make up for the losses -- as an exchange of sorts.

I'm just shooting the shit and its a very rough diamond, assuming it even is a rock at all and not just a clod.

Thoughts?

Why should an FM trust a conflict manager?

Trust is the only currency on which a conflict master could work. If the trust isn't there, it won't work. Considering what and how we've talked here, I think it's clear that the trust isn't around.

Besides which, it basically would have to devolve into war or dissipate into some kind of diplomatic solution, which is where the IRC is doing its job.

I ran a Misshu once. It's why they camped on Nataria instead of wasting themselves in the beginning of the war.

In this way, we could take the power out of the people who are too heavily invested in their factions to allow for percieved losses or make entirely unbiased decisions (Doc for the Lorath, Wes for Yamatai) and put a small acceptable-loss portion in the hands of someone who isn't quite as heavily invested emotionally and have a set of events that will spur competitive roleplay between factions?

Herein rests the issue.

There is no definition of acceptable loss. There is no over-arching rule for faction conflict and there will likely never be, as this would remove power from the Faction Managers. It would require them voluntarily giving up conflict power, which they will never do.

In spite of introducing GURPS into my present campaign, I also very much am against using numbers for fleet battles, because I firmly believe that SARP is about story. What would we do if Nepleslia was crushed? If the Lorath were steamrolled by a bad roll? I like the setting too much to see it burn in such a crass manner as watching a bunch of FMs rolling dice and spitting out fleets.

There's an exception, which is that on a GM-to-GM basis this has been done, before. I did it once with Doc, although the script I wrote never got RP'd out properly. That's where it's really got to begin, I think, with the lower-level people in factions, and the GMs, deciding between themselves what assets they can spare for plots. I'd do it again if there were sufficient reason.

For my own part, Tenth Fleet assets will always be open for discussion and skirmishes in the Yugumo cluster. It's the only reason I'm sitting on them still. And that's an example I am hoping to set for other similarly-endowed players who have been given small fractions of larger empires, that we be more open to the idea of conflict and putting plot above numbers.

P.S.: I'm flattered I was nominated.

Last edited:
I, uh, saw the thread and thought I'd drop a whole lot of text here that no one would really read. I'm going to be talking about chelti here, you have been warned. I'm not entirely sure why I'm writing this here, I sure as hell don't need it for myself, but maybe there's a few ideas I can pass on for others here. Certainly nothing that will magically fix all the problems, anyway.

First, it sounds like Yamatai is just waiting for a Major Kong to arrive with those bunker loads of unsecured aetheric warheads. Just one mid-level rogue officer with the right clearances and suddenly the planes are away and you might not be able to turn them back. Scary proposition.

From when I started making the chelti I knew I wanted to make a medium-sized enemy because I could usually speak to smaller factions in a closer setting without having to worry about what ten other plots might be doing and selecting the scope of our interactions. One thing I've discovered that seems to create more interest is that instead of coming up to another FM/GM and asking if I could take something away, I've actually tossed them a bone to chew. Would you like to destroy a chelti planet? Would you like to stop a chelti salvage operation? Would you like to get the jump on a chelti patrol?

Maybe it just gives a good impression on the acceptance of loss, or maybe people just take pity on me but it seems to get them to at least consider the idea. I had a much bigger spiel planned, but I'll just leave my caveats I tell anyone who asks (or rather, I force chelti upon) about their appearances in others plots as enemies.

Competence. I expect chelti to put on a good showing, cause some actual damage. They're not going to destroy everything, but chelti are meant to be highly tactical hard mode, despite their perceived technological inferiority. Fun, but hard. If a PC does something really really stupid I expect something to happen their character might not like. This does not make them infallible, however.

Withdrawal. When the players win, depending on the scenario, chelti forces are very good at evacuating their troops out of combat zones. This also makes for recurring chelti commander characters and such that I can use again. Having a chelti commander flip the bird from a withdrawing dropship down at the PC's makes me tickle inside. It also means that I'm not losing an entire section of content as an FM whenever plots stampede through stuff.

I've been pondering if this last rule takes the treat from the jaws the players, but I've begun leaning towards the conclusion that it allows larger engagements to be concluded quicker without required total annihilation. Play the objective, very rarely have I seen protracted combat scenes work.

There is no definition of acceptable loss.
To me, an acceptable loss is one that doesn't affect the long-term stability of my faction, because YSE plots depend on that stability. For example, if the evil Slurmarians invade and destroy Star Army's Third Fleet, that's an acceptable loss because Yamatai has more fleets and no plots would have the rug pulled out of under them.

First, it sounds like Yamatai is just waiting for a Major Kong to arrive with those bunker loads of unsecured aetheric warheads.
*eyeroll* Yamatai's weapons are not "unsecured." Although there is some truth in that there are definitely captains flying around with aether torpedoes shock arrays at their disposal, and they have free will.

I'll correct myself: The Lorath people perceived incompetence, whether there really was or wasn't. Its a huge point of contention between the two nations and Lor looked for a scapegoat: that scapegoat was Yamatai, who they blame for not doing a good enough job since they didn't have a complete idea of what was actually happening
If Yamatai knew what a bunch of ingrates the Lorath would be, maybe we would have just let the moon hit and destroy the planet. It would have worked out better for us.

If Yamatai knew what a bunch of ingrates the Lorath would be, maybe we would have just let the moon hit and destroy the planet. It would have worked out better for us.

Sorry that Kotori decided she wanted see them saved, and that your NPCs then followed her lead. x_x

Heck, the Lorath haven't even been grateful to her for both salvaging the first contact (sparing them from an all-out ground invasion), stopping the moondrop, and even taking revenge on the person responsible for the moondrop. The High Priest actually sent her some rather insulting gifts last Christmas for her involvement in the appeal to Himiko for the Bill 95 nekovalkyrja body thing. She's gone from well-disposed, to disapointed about the trainwreck but still sympathetic, to coldly indifferent.

Of course, she didn't do those things to be thanked by them, but that deliberate show of disdain was... an inordinarily strong display of spite. That's one potential opponent the Lorath had not needed to make.

Mostly... the above posts just reinforce what I said earlier. The Lorath are really just around as long as Wes decides that the irritation of tolerating them overlong doesn't outweight the inconvenience resulting from peer-backlash over actually making moves to stomp down the Lorath back to non-spacefaring capabilities. Heck, I almost wish this would've happened because it'd just get this PITA OoC drama done and over with.

This situation has, after all, gone way astray than the original intention: a Star Army ship meeting a cool new alien race that would then become part of the Empire and put Lorath crewmembers eventually available on SAoY ships. Or so the Lorath's other co-creator had told me. It blew up waaaay out of proportion.

This said, I totally endorse what Gallant mentioned on the first page of this thread. The epeen waving involved and the tension that comes from that is mostly wasted if there's no story coming out of it.

Overall, Yuumi is pretty much the Lorath's best chance to finally stop that cold war-thing so that it becomes a non-factor. That'd likely be best and would put a lot of things to rest.

Last edited:

You'd wipe a nation of people out just because they were ungreatful on a meta-level, Wes?

Not all information a public are privy to is always accurate.

And what do you mean 'us'? You represent the entire site with those words, not just your little happy corner of cats and sushi.

I believe what Osaka means is that conflict for plot's sake is frustratingly impossible, not that conflict between factions is good in and of itself (it isn't).

Thank-you.

... First, it sounds like Yamatai is just waiting for a Major Kong to arrive with those bunker loads of unsecured aetheric warheads. Just one mid-level rogue officer with the right clearances and suddenly the planes are away and you might not be able to turn them back. Scary proposition.

Heck, the Lorath haven't even been grateful to her for both salvaging the first contact (sparing them from an all-out ground invasion), stopping the moondrop, and even taking revenge on the person responsible for the moondrop. The High Priest actually sent her some rather insulting gifts last Christmas for her involvement in the appeal to Himiko for the Bill 95 nekovalkyrja body thing. She's gone from well-disposed, to disapointed about the trainwreck but still sympathetic, to coldly indifferent.

"We should be grateful because Yamatai decided against invading us over a misunderstanding? We're supposed to be greatful they chose to use their brains for once and decided not to be assholes?"

Those are the sentiments of a character I play, in her own words. And I think they sum up the situation quite well in a way we're going to have to acknowledge: What we have here isn't necessary a disagrement created by truths but by misunderstandings and more importantly cultural incompatibilities. It isn't an OOC disagreement as Wes chooses to see it but an IC one and one that can be overcome.

Many nations fear Yamatai -- "Yamatai is the big kid with all the toys and if you so much as point your finger in a gun shape, that big kid is going to rip out your teeth with pliers for looking at her funny."

But as we can see here, that fear doesn't translate into respect. In this particular case, what causes the greatest distrust of Yamatai in her character is when Yamatai expect to be admired as heroes on horseback for doing their duty - a duty you should be able to do for yourselves with self-defence - and how incredibly crestfallen they become when denied that admiration -- as if that was the motivation for their actions rather than any good nature. And if you try and take that so called 'glory' for yourself, you become a threat to her. That's how lots and lots of characters ICly see this issue.

Just imagine for a moment, you're being beat up bloody. Some big strong person pulls you aside, even when you've already taken an utter beating. You have that warmth in your heart that everything will be okay. That person goes and fucks up the person who pulped you. Then when they come back... They want you to tell them how good they were and worship them -- and for you to give them your lunch money as thanks.

Well, that's how it felt culturally; She sees them as children!

Are they children?

No! They're a nation of people fighting tooth and nail to survive, JUST like everybody else with their own problems to overcome and their own personal struggles.
But this is the key thing: She doesn't know that. I can't inject that OOC information into her head and change her character; that would be metagaming. She is a reaction to the world around her, same as all characters are.

"Oh, look at how easy life is for them, look at how happy they are in their smug little castle".

She's inherently a hypocrite but in a world this complex, who honestly isn't?

The big issue at the centre of this is this are the core incompatibilities between Yamataian and Lorath culture and the lack of respect going either way:

On a larger less individual basis, it boils down to this:

Lor despises and fears the nanny-state. While they understand compassion for your fellow Lorath or even Helashio is incredibly important, they're strongly of the opinion that any person who exchanges their personal freedoms and privacy for safety -- either for military purposes or cultural ones (with the all pervading PANTHEON) isn't someone you can trust or respect when an entire state can know the individual's thoughts at will. You might argue 'if you've nothing to hide, why does it bother you?' but Lor's inherent culture is one that accountability is a private matter, not a matter of the state and that prejudice is the norm on the grounds you do not act on that prejudice and discriminate: Your thoughts are quite strictly your own.

Worse is what the people would describe as Yamatai's shame avoidance: This fear of being seen with egg on your face, this need to posture and posture rather than back down and to speak large and act large. Lor's people view Yamatai as idealistic and childish rather than pragmatic and mature: A child with weapons is a danger to everyone. This mindset probably isn't necessarily true but events like the great lighthouse and Yamatai's refusal for anyone else to defend themselves from outside threats on the same level Yamatai themselves do with aetheric weapons smacks deeply of "no, you can't have it, its mine" which is the very basis of that "jealous maid" mindset Lor sees in Yamatai.

Perhaps the worst offence here though is that Yamatai is a post sacristy society. Hypothetically, want does not exist. And yet the basic ingrained drives for self-improvement are not acted upon: automated weapons that think they're people are sent to war, removing personal accountability and turning war essentially into a game: For war to happen, the people must desire to fight and survive -- and if people are properly informed, they won't join an unjust war. But the Nekovalkyjra can't say no, can they? They'll fight whatever war they're told to.

This slender pocket of a psudo-utopia, Lor eyes with immense jealousy from that freedom from hardship and resentment for how little they choose to do with it.

I can't go into the mind of a country and change their minds on issues like this. This sentiment evolves from lots and lots of players and lots and lots of roleplay -- and its only through compassion and roleplay that if you really want Lor to play well, you're going to have to solve this issue.

Part of that is Lor despises being the underdog. It kills them inside and they won't ever live it down. Worse, Lor doesn't like feeling useless in a war and projection is the easiest cultural answer. To turn the person who makes them feel bad into their percieved enemy.

We know that isn't the answer but mob mentality ICly can only be influenced by IC actions.

The best thing Yamatai can do is respectfully ask Lor if they want to play with the big boys and work together rather than against eachother -- but that would require a change in Yamatai's view of Lor ICly too, which is just as difficult and as complex an issue.

Fair enough. The core problem between Lor and Yamatai is perceived by characters to be 'Yui's ultimatum'

Described in-character, the terms of that ultimatum are...

1) "I will not allow you to defend yourself.
I also won't do an adequate job of defending you...
Unless you sit, roll over and play fetch for me.
Because I own you."

2) "And if I think you've been looking at any other girls?
I reserve the right to annihilate your species out without basis.
Because I own you."

"Well, they expect us to be surbortinate. We're not equal. Like we're not even people" [...] "Yeah but the only reason the Helashio are subordinate is so we can raise them to be equals. They started out as monsters and we bred that out of them" [...] "Whenever they've proven themselves or even shown the desire, we've always given them their freedom and we're legally required to - so don't compare us to the cats: they've evolved alongside us. Without us, they'd still be living in mud huts."
- Aiesu Kalopsia

You obviously didn't pay attention to the Yamatai-Lorath first contact. Granted, Rufus Sydney acted like an alarmist ass, but it was only after demonstrations that the Lorath actually had evil intentions towards the Yamataian people. Basically, a Fyunnen hoped that during the greeting ceremony that would involve ritual dueling that she'd get to see the offworlder scream. Any perceived respect just went out of the window at that point, and it went downhill from there. Add in treating them as heathen, inferior and whatnot - the Lorath, for all their intentions of toeing into space exploration, where woefully unprepared to meeting what their curiosity pushed them to look for.

I know you're all onboard with victimizing the Lorath, and I won't begrudge you that. But you weren't there. To some of us, this isn't just history: we lived it. While there were strenuous circumstances, the Lorath kind of richly earned what happened to them, simply for acting monumentally stupid about it. Like, a next to non-conductive-to-long-life level of xenophobia.

It's like, in D&D, you go out and meet some neutral-aligned dragon, and then give it the finger out of disrespect/spite. How is the dragon supposed to react? Is it supposed to take kindly to the gesture and feel obligated to treat the small thing fairly due to some noblesse oblige? Is it supposed to not feel obligated to just make a snack out of the critter and just get it over with the annoyance? And what about if there's another dragon competing with it? Maybe it'll decide to eat you first just so the other dragon won't benefit from having had snack/loot from your person.

Arrogant? Sure. Go argue with the dragon about that. I'm sure it'll care. Or not. It'll likely just be snack-time. I hope you're okay being BBQ-flavored. Or, you could just be really nice and polite to avoid any of this from happening. Maybe the dragon likes polite and enjoys chess.

The Lorath have chronically toed a line between being a spacefaring species and not, simply due to lacking the humility of understanding their place in the universe, and figuring out a very simple thing: don't piss off something that's bigger than you... or natural selection will happen... and before you harp about how the lack of humility is just a sign of Yamatai's arrogance, yadda yadda, I'll just tell you that self-awareness of that degree is a survival trait. If you cross the road without taking note that it's a green light and cars are speeding by, it's bad for you. You don't have it, you're a goner.

You can weave any number of explanations, but it doesn't put in any better light this level of stupid. Hence, I'm rather unmoved by the drama queen song. I'm keenly aware of Yamatai's flaws, but anyone with one-sided sympathies to the Lorath seem woefully blind to the same pertaining to them. They just see a martyred little kid and want to blindly cuddle it.

Last edited:
Yeah, this definitely devolved from this thread's original purpose.

What I take out of this? PvP? Not feasibly possible; wishful thinking. Grandstanding between Yamatai/Lor? Will still happen until one of the two top dogs actually does what Doshii suggested rather than keep on the epeen wagging.

Fred has done wonders comparing Yamatai to a dragon. Fred often does very well describing these situations starkly, and I agree with Fred.

The Empire is a dragon. It is vain, greedy, ill-tempered, sometimes very stupid, and absurdly powerful and mean. Doshii is trying to change this, but I think in essence it's always going to retain at least a shadow of these qualities, so let's be fair to the longstanding history of shogunistic bullshit that has come out of Yamatai and it's win-loss ratio, which is everything to zip.

While I was not there personally, I have been given every single indication from here to kingdom come that the Lorath richly deserve scorn and possibly even smiting or subjugation and demilitarization simply derived from the amount of constant sass alone. Honestly I don't think Yamatai wants to conquer, demilitarize, or re-integrate the Lorath, they just want what Doshii generally wants. Bury the hatchet, shut the fuck up, and go about your business. OOCly I'm tired of sitting and listening to the Lorath capitalize on their hate of Yamatai and making that quality their primary virtue. If the Lorath ever actually became a threat, I am absolutely sure that Yamatai would move to end them with surgeon swiftness, and that would be a horrible story. Why are we constantly coming back to it, over and over again? It's stale.

Osaka you know I have utmost respect for you, and Doc, we've worked together before and you know that I'm not just speaking from the love of Yamatai. I get annoyed at it sometimes, too, and I can see where you're coming from fairly well in my opinion. The Lorath were subjugated, they are xenophobic, and no doubt there's a lot of misinformation going around - and you may have even been treated unfairly. Lazarus is, after all, considered a terrorist organization in Yamatai. But this sort of obvious saber-rattling in the face of what Fred just listed is disruptive and frankly bad form. Build on your strengths, develop the Lorath past this... this, I don't even want to say it... Juvenile? Bare-bones? Lackidasical? I'd mention the Helashio being approximately crap as a species but that's old hat. The whole Lorath Nation needs a damnedable overhaul and you're busy creating space weapons to launch at the Empire because you don't want the Empire to steamroll you.

You should be busy making the Lorath fun, interesting, and cool for players, instead of trying to spit in Wes's eye all the damnedable time.

Maybe the Empire wouldn't care if you left it alone. If I chafe sometimes at the blantent, illogical disrespect that the people of Lor generally adopt when talking/dealing with Yamatai, I know for damn sure that the other more invested GM/FMs are annoyed. But the cause of the annoyance is simply this; that if Yamatai can be viewed as a dragon, the Lorath have wholeheartedly embraced the fool errant idiom and completely bought into it. It seems like every bit of tech I'm shown of the Lorath feeds into their trying to out-perform Yamatai, everything I hear about the Lorath is anti-Yamatai, and the only respite I had was during Luca's plot (which I very much enjoyed) because Luca, bless his GMly gamer soul, is a pretty damned good invidual who knows how to focus on plot and story.

That's what needs to happen here. Plot. Story. If you can turn it into plot, turn it into story - sure, do it. You'll probably even get to use some Yamatai fleet resources and do some duck shooting. But it's got to end there. Epic, glorious, plotworthy - the result of effort and story and lots of writing, not the accidental side-effect of some tech that just got wrote up yesterday.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back