• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

Time to Put the Nomenclature to Bed

The Standard Product Nomenclature System is one of our few international standards in the Kikyo Sector, like the standard cargo container sizes and airlock sizes. It started with Yamatai and most neighbor factions have picked it up out of convenience because it's useful. The most useful thing about it is keeping track of which subsystems go with which ship, for example you can immediately see that any weapon that as a nomenclature Ke-S3-W3900 is something for a Sakura, Plumeria, or Fuji class gunship because those are all Ke-S3-xx or that a Ke-M2-W2901 is a Mindy weapon because it has M2 in it.

If a manufacturer doesn't sell products in the Kikyo Sector, for example in the case of NMX warships, then it would make sense to allow them not to use the SPNS. Also if they don't have familiarity with the Yamataian calendar, which is the standard calendar for most of the Kikyo sector.

If you want to come up with your own factional system (like the US Army's M numbers, NSNs, or project numbers or something) you can do that, But otherwise please just use the one provided.

@Doshii Jun - With all due respect, since when have we allowed submitters to get away with not following the rules? As I said in my earlier post, if @Arieg didn't want to follow the Standard Product Nomenclature, then he should have submitted his own version of it.
Wes already mentioned a time window of three months for "easily" pulling old submissions. I don't see anything but bad blood being spit about if we start hauling out people to fix older submissions. Especially if the alternative is tar and feathers.

His current submissions are another story. As are anyone else's.

Yeah it should be noted that the rules say the standard nomenclature should be applied if applicable in other words, places that it would be illogical, don't have to use it. Though I suggest if at all possible, it should have it. Also for people saying the nomenclature isn't used, you're not paying enough attention. It's just not in the title, but most of the standard formats for wiki pages have a place to put it, and most submissions that are actually mass produced products that have come out in the last couple of years do actually have it.

However there is room to make company/faction specific nomenclature systems if they for whatever reason wouldn't use the standard. And using the nomenclature actually has it's benefits, for instance, it helps with keeping track of how many products have been produced (depending on how you do your numerating), it can help people identify what products are compatible without having to find that one line in the text that says "Oh it works with this too" It also takes practically no time to do as long as you know the most recent product number in that line.

So while it's not my favorite standard in SARP, it's already here, and it's not really a hassle, so why remove it?

I have to agree with Fred as well - let's just have it apply to anyone particularly familiar or close to Yamatai. It just doesn't make sense for someone like the Ersetu, Iromakuanhe or Mishhu to use it. I do approve of the opportunity to create a customized system however.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back