• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

To Crack Invulnerability - Zesuaium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zesuaium has a base substance that's put into zero-G and then altered with femtomachines to be made up into it's final state, which can't be altered anymore.

The key question is, however, why can't it be altered anymore?

I must agree here with the previous few comments. Nothing new was said, and while the OOC reasons for its creation/existence may be of interest in the form of factoids, I do not feel it should make up the bulk of what should be primarily a technical page. The other half of the page (as said previously) either is restating things that have already been said or (imo) stating obvious things.

We still are no nearer understanding the material than we where before. It is still wholly contradictory. It is still not explained how AM or molecular disintegrators affect it (what is its molecular and atomic structure, generally?). Also, how do you go about making it transparent, seeing as this goes blatantly against one of the core attributes of the material?

As Tyler asked, why can't it be altered after its 'curing'? (as a aside, wth are femtomachines anyway? how do you make something functionable smaller than a proton?)

*sighs* Why can't you just accept it for what we know about it and move on? Why is it such a big deal?

It is what it is.
As Tyler asked, why can't it be altered after its 'curing'?
It undergoes a fundamental, irreversible change in sub-subatomic structure.

I think a large part of it has to deal with Wes not having to follow his own rules about technology in this setting. It isn't just this material that should be in question but aether and scalar energy fields too.

Seriously, we have had this conversation before more than once and the end answer is always that the material is kept around because of continuality reasons. Others have stated various problems with the material and I would not hesitate to say that if this were submitted now it would not be approved for use in the role play however the technology Wes uses more often than not bypasses the approval process. In a sense that is what the core of this is because if it had gone through the approval process it would have either been discarded, explaned, or altered.

So, why not phase out the material if it can not be explained satisfactorily?

As you just said, continuity. This metals' been about since the formation of the SARP's history, which co-insides with Yui's birth/creation of the Nekovalkyrja race and the discovery of Aether and Scalar technology aswell.

Aether and Scalar were made up long after Zuesiaum and technology elements have been phased out in the past such as the TTD which means it can be done. The easest way I can see of getting rid of the material would be having something happen which would inhibit the production of the material like a time...flux....capasitor? Odds are it would only have to be one or two lines of text anyways.

If we could only use hard science fiction stuff, then we'd probably be limited to a single star system or travel that lasted years. Star Army is not hard SF. It is more in the Space Opera genre. While the tech is very important, what is more important is the characters and how their world is affected by the technology. That said, what makes Zesuaium work is insignificant, and it isn't something that a group of roleplayers should be expected to make some quantum breakthrough in. We know what affects Zesuaium, and what doesn't, and what that means for our characters, and that's enough.

But that has never been enough for any other tech especally when the tech is seemingly contradictory such as the case with Zuesiaum's molecular structure.

The rule of thumb in the past has generally been suspention of disbelief and this thread has shown that not many people can suspend their disbelief in the material.

So high distorsion speeds is okay, device that duplicate a character's mind is okay, nebulously graded damage output from weapons is okay... all for the sake of continuity... but a nebulous material of extremely high resilience is not?

I'll think I'll gleefully pull a card that's been played against me in debates here before and simply say that 'if it isn't broken, then don't fix it'. I might also add that Zesuaium is pretty hard to break! XD

This discussion is going around in circles. The thread's purpose has been served - you asked for information as to what would crack zesuaium (read carefully: "Ze-su-a-ium" ) and you got it. I suggest this thread be locked - no, wait, nevermind: I'll do it myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back