• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

RP: 4th Fleet (NSN) [Training Mission 1.0] Welcome to Boot Camp. Again.

Sigma

Inactive Member
3rd Floor Underground, 4th Fleet HQ, Nepleslia Prime

The 4th Fleet Marines gathered in the Power Armor bay. Most of the stations were empty since this was the lower of the two areas for Power Armor maintenance and servicing. However, what stood out amongst the few Hostiles and Aggressors were the three foreign Power Armors present.

A Mindy, a Daisy and a Ripper all stood side by side. The Marines were, more specifically, gathered around these armors where their new Chief was lecturing.

"As you can see, the Mindyis the smallest of the three. Most of us are taller than the armor! Its bigger cousin, the Daisy, is almost as big as a Hostile. Neither, however, is as well armored or shielded. The Mindy and Daisy's shield capacity is about half that of the Hostile and the Mindy's armor is almost negligible. HPAR rounds plus some ARROWs, even a couple RED shells and the armor's a write-off.

"So how do the Yamataians, the galaxy's literal pussy-cats, have such a powerful war machine if their infantry equipment is crap compared to ours? The answer, ladies and gents, is in their pilots. Yamataian pilots are cunning strategists who make use of everything to make up for their machines' fragility. High speed maneuvers, optional stealth systems, and sheer bloody fire power. Equipped properly, a Yamataian armor can throw out aether, plasma, missiles and 50mm gauss rounds at the same time. And these pussy-cats have sharp claws if you think you can overcome them in hand to hand. These forearm modules can throw out aether beams, generate a shield or create energy blades. Don't ask me how it works, it just does. These energy blades will cut through your armor like a hot knife through butter.

"The best way to defeat these armors and pilots is to outsmart them and outgun them. I think the latter part is easy enough. The former may need some work."

Chief Leon Santiago turned his attention to the NMX Ripper. "This is the NMX Ripper. It comes in three variants, all of which are nasty. Long story short, these ugly brutes are NMX copies of the Yamataian armors except employed as simple assault units. They're all well-armored, and the Zesuaium-plated Rippers are nigh impossible to take down without antimatter or plasma. Like the Daisy and Mindy, they're brutal at long range and close range. But unlike the Daisy and Mindy, the Rippers are piloted by brain-slaves which are not as capable as the average Yamataian soldier. Hence why these units are usually not very well coordinated or tactically minded. There do exist commander units but those are rare. Often, you will instead see a mecha like a Ravager or a Render acting as the unit coordinator on the battlefield. This one here has had its brain-slave and all the power sources removed. Likewise, the two Yammie armors won't power up. So don't think they're about to start moving. We've gutted them pretty thoroughly.

"Note, none of these armors are superior to our own! On paper, we possess some of the most powerful machinery. It is up to the pilots to utilize them to their full potential. Any questions before we move on?" Santiago looked at the Marines. Many of them were still looking up close at the captured armors. It was probably the first time that many of them had been so close to one that had not been shooting at them.

Sawyer took an especially close look at the Rippers that he'd been engaging earlier and looked at the chief before asking "Sir, do you know of another way to take out these things with that Zesuaium armor without using antimatter rounds in case of that restriction being placed again? Also do you have any advice on how to kill the Ravager or Render Mechs, because back on Tange I unloaded a massive amount of firepower into one of them and when we were loading up it got back up and knocked me out of the sky with a volley of missiles which is where I got this," Sawyer asked as he moved this uniform top to the side and showed the chief the scar from where a chunk of his Aggressor suit had punctured his shoulder while pinning it to the inside of the armor.

Leon Santiago considered the Marine and his question carefully. Young, slight accent. Country. Recently promoted to P2C. He'd been in the NSMC for a year or less.

"Plasma. It's not as powerful as aether or antimatter but it will burn through the Zesu given enough concentrated hits. The Light Plasma Autocannon, forearm chainguns, and the Aggressor's plasma turrets all do the job. Another option is to use the VOID's fusion launchers but the danger there is the 500 meter blast radius. The beam mode in the LPA is particularly useful against Zesu and NMX mecha. The fastest, and easiest, way to take down any NMX target is to concentrate fire on it. With enough hits, even HPAR fire can take down a Zesu Ripper. Zesuaium is tough but its not truly invulnerable. It resists kinetic force much better than it resists energy.

"With NMX mecha, the first thing to do is to stay mobile. No power armor can take on a Ravager or Render and hope to survive. I'm told Private Greer to testify to that," Santiago looked to the nodding Bernhard. "Secondly, aim for its weapons and reduce its capabilities. If you can be airborne, great. If not, make use of cover, your thrusters and hit-and-run tactics. High speed, high mobility and concentrated fire is the tried and true way to take down these giants."

John considered the ongoing lecture carefully, keeping in mind that this was what they'd be fighting in the coming months. He had no intention of even getting close to one of these beasts, but first he had to know how fast they could close on him, and at what range they were dangerous. They were big, he'd give them that, but even big weapons platforms had weaknesses. Never blind spots, contrary to popular belief. John laughed when he heard that the first time.

He raised his hand. "Excuse me, sir, how fast can these Render-esque suits actually move? Any kind of flight capabilities? I ask because, well, I have yet to experience their capabilities myself," he flinched as he realized that he'd yet to experience anyone or anything's capabilities himself, being brand new to the soldiering business. He'd have to remember to find some kind of documentation to study for himself.

Lisa watched the Chief with lighted cigarette safely nested between her lips. She was paying attention, but she let her face look bored and non-interested. Chief might have been total jackass but he still might have some valuable experiences to share. She was interestedi nthe Raveger, so she linked with Drei and checke the beast out. It was large, well armed and dangerous.

"So boss?" She then said. "These ravagers? How about engaging them from up close? I mean if AIR unit with fusion cutter got to it, its clanky hands would not be much help, once our PA would sit on its backs. Or how about just leaving explosive gift. I sure get that getting close is super dangerous, but unless tehre is swarm of Rippers around the Ravager I would probably rather get close and get sniped by the heavy barrage that son of octopus can spit out."

____
____

Alexandra watched the training session with interest. She wondered what this new chief might teach them. Except for the Raveger part. She stood against Ripper many times, once even unarmored, but she never experienced a battle with Ravager. She did not know much about them, except from them being tough and heavily armed.

Phaedra stood near the back of the group of Marines, her hands behind her back. She watched the training session with interest; starting with the basics was best, in her opinion.

She stayed silent and observed.

Santiago considered the technical data he had read the night before. "The Render and Ravager mechas? I cannot say but not fast usually. They're 5-7 meter tall ground assault mechs, not power frames like Origin's toys. I don't think they can go terribly fast for a long time but a short burst, possibly. What I can see from combat footage tells me that the Ravager is the more agile of the two and able to make short bursts of speed. Thus, why Private Greer got surprised as he was making his way back to the squad on Tange. Sorry if that's a bad memory but it's the only example I can remember, Greer."

He took a breath and pointed to the Rippers and Yamataian armors. "These," Santiago said, "have speed. Since they can operate as a ground or space unit, the Mindy and some Ripper variants can travel at FTL speeds in space. We don't fight in space. Much. In atmosphere, all three can exceed mach 1.5. Using our Push-Pull system, we can exceed that. Hostile using the Push-Pull have been clocked at Mach 5, Aggressors at Mach 3. We can outrun them and outfly them. It's you lot who need to realize that and not just become sticks in the mud. Never stay in one position even if you're supposed to defend the area. Move from cover to cover."

Simmons' point about close combat was good. Very good. So she did have a brain in there after all, just not quite as well rounded as he had thought. "Excellent points, Simmons. Very good points. It is difficult but not impossible. But you forget that there is the risk AFTER you get off the Ravager or Render. It could explode and take you with it. Or if you left a timed bomb, it could shoot you down. AIR units are fragile, depending on speed. A squad of eight was reduced to one in an ambush on Tange by two Ravagers. But you won't get 'sniped' by a barrage. Precision is not usually the NMX strongest point. We have no perfect weapon against mecha since we're the little guy fighting the big guy. If you have ideas, please share it with me later. Anything helps."

"Sergeant Volkov, tell me, how effective were your squad's weapons and tactics on Tange?" Leon asked. He wanted her evaluation and did not plan to lecture them anymore on what they did right or wrong. The next part was going to be very interesting for all parties.

Bastilen was at a casual stance of attention, staring blankly at Santiago. The young soldier hadn't seen the Ripper before, at least not a live one, but the Mindy and Daisy armors were familiar enough. He had seen them before in previous demonstrations, and had actually seen footage of the armors perform in combat. A lot of Nepleslian Marines back in those days were either gangers or former YSE soldiers, with the latter actually bringing a great deal of military intelligence with them. Thanks to that, Nepleslia had in-depth knowledge on just how advanced Yamataian military technology was.

He took a short breath, sighing mildly at some of combat data he had to review for Post-Red Green war conflicts. The Rippers themselves were actually beastly monsters he had seen chew through lines. Operations ended because of those behemoths.

"Sergeant Volkov, tell me, how effective were your squad's weapons and tactics on Tange?" Leon asked.

Phaedra stepped forward and spoke loud enough for everyone to hear.

"Our weapons were sufficient to oppose the Rippers, Ravagers, Crabs, and Nekos that were arrayed before us. The Ravagers were certainly difficult to eliminate, but nothing concentrated fire could not solve."

"As for our tactics, we simply held the spaceport terminal as a strongpoint and intercepted the waves of NMX as they closed in on our position."

Leon nodded. "Good. Thank you. First Fleet had been getting reports of up-armored as well as less-armored units. So it sounds like things are status quo right now," he said to Phaedra. Tactically, he wondered if she could have had a better rein over her squad. But then, he did have to acknowledge that no one had trained her for the position she was currently occupying.

"With that in mind, let us go test out what I've just said with some war games." Leon led the Marines to the simulation rooms on the 3rd floor.

He directed the Cavaliers to suit up in the simulators, large blocky machines which enclosed upon the Marines and made them feel like they were in a power armor suit. The other Marines sat around the TV screens to watch, and place bets. "I'll wager they lose this game, 200 DA," Rochester growled. "Sergeant Volkov has shown she has some tactical grasp, I'll wager against that," Holmes said, speaking up.

"We'll keep things simple," Leon told the Cavaliers, "Hostiles and Aggressors only but with all the weapon choices available to 4th Fleet. Since this is atmospheric combat, BOLTs are allowed but no GREEN warheads. After all, we all want to do our bit to be environmentally friendly. You have two minutes to figure out your surroundings and make weapon selections before I activate the program's enemies. Let me know if you need coaching. Have fun!"

----------------

The Cavaliers' simulators activated, their HUDs looking exactly as a real Hostile or Aggressor.

Laura Romero chose an Aggressor for its "cute plasma turrets." She chose to equip the AOP and AS4GS. She rounded out the A-list with ARROW mini-missiles. A perfect set up for a perfectly cute Aggressor. "Laura Romero, ready to go."

Bernhard Greer was, once again, in his Hostile. Despite how often he had been wounded in one, he still believed it to be a more balanced armor than the Aggressor. He selected the HPAR and PLA. If the Chief was going to test them, he'd probably use the NMX suits they had just learned about. And he had said plasma would do the trick. Though the Chief has said BOLTs were allowed, Bernhard had gotten into trouble for using them. So to play it safe, ARROWs. "Bernhard Greer, all systems functional."

John didn't know what to do. He thought he could probably manipulate this interface with mindware, but he'd never been in anything nearly so advanced before. He reached out and curled his fingers, and the HUD changed. It was a menu, telling him to select some armor. He knew what to do, having trained in one suit and one suit only.

A Hostile popped up around him and he got another choice. Weapons? There were so many. Maybe he'd have a play around, maybe he'd pick impractical weapons so he could look cool.

Maybe he'd just do well with practical weapons. He picked standard weaponry from boot camp, a HPAR-01a and ARROWs. Let them see what he could do, and he would simply hope to hell Captain Testosterone was watching. "Karrelik ready to deploy," he stated into his helmet.

Wulfe had been standing around while they briefed the marines, occasionally glancing at the NMX suits laid out in display near them during the briefing, but not actively participating in it but still there and consequently absorbing the information until he was brought back to full attention when he heard the word “war games.” Although it wasn’t the same as being inside actual power armor like in live exercises, it was close to the point that he had to remind himself several times before they reached the simulators that it was in fact not a simulation, and then perhaps the mind-game would work on him.

He got inside his own box and mused at how the insides actually resembled the ones that he had been using in boot camp not too long ago when he got out of it. Wulfe interacted with the HUD inside of it through the arm sockets and decided to pick the Hostile along with the HPAR and ARROWs; a versatile loadout for a versatile armor. It seemed to him that it had taken minutes to check everything, but when Wulfe looked to the counter on the HUD he had seen that not even thirty seconds had passed. With a sigh, he activated the comms inside his simulator, "Stones here, ready for deployment.” He said, looking at the counter and waiting.

Lisa rubbed her hands together, liking what she just heard. So they won't just listen to some boring talks. THey get to shoot things and Lisa will get to try out Aggeresor suits. She meant to do so, since their team rather lacked them and she though ehr aggresive combat style might be better suited.

She quickly climbed in the nearest free simulator and strapped in. She chose Aggie and decided to use AMP and AOP with it. One box of ammo should be enoug for AMP with its 5000 rounds. Of the six clips that she could carry the one in the gun included she picked four reds, one white and one blue. She did not know when friendly fire could be a danger. As for her minimissile racks she chose to go BOLT all the way.

"P3C Lisa Simmons. Ready to rumbel." She exlaimed. She started checking over waht her suit is capable of while waiting for the simulation starts. It was different from VOID and Hostile suits that she was used to after all. She will have to make sure to not forget that her mobility will be lacking now greatly.

____
____

Alex had no problem with simulation. Any training is good and the team should start working together after. She wonder if Phaedra will choose fire team or if Chief will do so himself. Not that it really bothered Alexandra. She was medic, she knew what to do.

She picked Hostile for herself as always. THis time she picked only HPAR, since last mission showed that it is only weapon she will ever need. As usually she took one missile rack of ARROWs and one of DARTs.

"P1C Alexandra Mayhew ready." She reported and started checking over her non-combat inventroy that she could pull int. She made sure to carry hypolathe, first aid kit. Bag for head could not be included in the simulation though, she made a mental note to talk with techies abotu that.

Well, you can always make a better armour, but fucked if you're going to make a better marine in a hurry.

Henry was sitting back and taking notes from the presentation. Some of it was stuff he had already learned about as a mechanical engineer, but he felt that it was always important to take the time to revise when you weren't fighting.

"Plasma is definitely a - good solution, to most problems," Henry interjected when Santiago spoke his piece about the usefulness of plasma, and his notes to aim for weapons systems. Aim, for, weapons... hit-and-run is your friend... we can run circles around Mindies and Hostiles... He was writing this down in a well thumbed notepad.

When John raised a question about the agility of the Render and Ravager, Henry was quick to point out: "I always assume they're faster than they look. Crooked Demons certainly were," Henry frowned as he remembered his engagements against Crooked Demons - especially the upfront ones with their claws in his face.

-

Henry had found the war games quaint and informative in their purpose, but he'd sometimes heard about some stations loading less-than savoury games and more entertaining things onto them. Oh well, it was those stations alone, and their problem.

Getting inside the large simulation machine was similar enough to be an armour that Henry's mood had swung to the better after it all closed around him. He had elected to pick himself a standard Hostile with BOLTS and DARTS on his legs, all of the basic secondary weapons, and a familiar HPAR, "Corporal Morris, standing by."

He wanted to see how he'd do outside of his favourite, familiar VOID armour, and see how well he could work with less rather than rely on the VOID's fancy toys as crutches.

Bastilen set his Hostile to be loaded out with DART missile pods, something of a familiar support layouts when people did this stuff in the old E-Series. Personally, he favored the WATERII for its versatile capabilities, but these armors were the face of Nepleslia now. He'd just need to get used to their configurations. The IPG had been nice enough to give him some moderate familiarization with M-Series, but it still felt odd. Especially as he loaded himself into the armor itself.

The plates secured tightly over his frame, and he gripped his HPAR in one hand, tightly. The other held the vibrosaw knife, a throw-back to the old vibrosaw swords.

Vrrrrm! vrrrm! hummed the knife, as Bastilen tested the weapons kick and ferocity on the air, making a few angled slashes. Quite satisfied, he set the blade in its sheath, and heaved his HPAR.

Sawyer made his way to a simulator and picked out his standard Aggressor suit and for weapons grabbed an AMP and a set of forearm plasma chain guns. He also loaded on a set of BOLT racks for his minimissile type. "P2C Sawyer Aubrey ready for action" he commed to the others.

Samuel headed to the PA hangars, lingering a bit at the Daisy. Last time they met, it was dark and he couldn't get a good look at it, but now, he couldn't help but notice how well-designed the thing was. For something so deadly, it was kind of pretty, especially compared to the huge, freaky, organic-looking NMX mecha next to it. Still, it hadn't stood up to a blast of plasma to the neck. He dog-trotted to catch up with the rest of the squad.

With a smile and a salute to Chief Santiago, he hopped into his machine, picking a Hostile and sealing up the outer hatch. He picked an AS4GS and a LPA-01 for his loadout, since they had worked before, as well as ARROWs for good measure. Thanks to his experience up on the NMX base hatch, he checked the box for a fusion cutter, too. Being able to cut through things could come in handy. "Private Tybalt, reporting in as ready."

He windmilled his arms, making sure they were in good order, and sure enough, they were. The rest of the systems checked out good as well, fortunately. Especially his monoeye. As long as that worked, he figured he'd be fine.

Maybe. The way the debriefing had gone after the 87I fiasco, let alone the mission itself, Samuel doubted that the higher-ups would go easy on them, even if it was just a training mission. With that thought in mind, he steadied himself and stepped forward. One couldn't be too careful when it came to system checks.

Phaedra sighed inwardly when she entered the simulator and chose a Hostile as her armor. She remembered the last time she had actually been in a Hostile; it had not been the most pleasant experience for her. Thankfully, this was just a simulation.

Phaedra chose the PLR-02 as her main weapon, as well as full loadout of ARROWs and a LSP and VCBS for backup. As her HUD winked on, she opened up the squad comm channel.

"Alright Cavaliers, get your asses into gear. I don't expect the Chief to play nice and the NMX sure as hell won't. I expect you all to take this training seriously; if you do not, then you will get yourself killed in the real thing." She let that comment hang in the air before she continued.

"What is our objective, Chief?" she asked.

"Thirty seconds to finalize your loadouts and mission start." Santiago looked over the other loadouts. Most were sticking with mobile, adaptable and fast firing. The only real exception was Phaedra whose loadout was tailored to her former role as a sniper. He opened a private channel to her. "Sergeant Volkov, I question your choice of loadout. It seems tailored to long range combat rather than assault."

He turned to the other squad leaders sitting at the monitors and motioned for them to come. The other five left their seats, and squads, to approach curiously. "Do all of you take specialist roles in your squad?" Santiago asked them. "Our job is to lead from the front - not sit and shoot in the back," Rochester, from 2nd Fleet, growled unhappily.

"Her leadership style may be to command from the back so as to keep a better view. Not all of us can be the charging glory-hound," Corporal Holmes observed as a counter.

The new man, Kerr, who led the tank squad, just shrugged. His squad had just transferred from 1st Fleet. Hell if he knew what was normal. Motoyama, who had seen Sergeant Phaedra in action at Tange, did speak. "On Tange, her long range fire was used to support the squad. I think it worked well enough but it does not seem to be the style favored by the NSMC."

"Sergeant Volkov, I question your choice of loadout. It seems tailored to long range combat rather than assault," said Leon. Phaedra furrowed her brow.

Phaedra was not one to get angry, nor one to ignore suggestions from her superior. But this comment completely rubbed her the wrong way.

She had completely justified her reasoning for taking such a weapon, but she would not bother to debate with the Chief now.

Deciding that responding with an affirmative, and then continuing to use the PLR would be worse than no reply at all, Phaedra chose the latter.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back