• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Uncle Vanderhuge Wants YOU

I want to compose a battle hymn now... eh, I'll do what I can.

[1]Under the skies and over the hills,
[2]Her cannon shout their wrath,
[3]Green Nepleslia marches onto the field.

[4]Into the fire and through the flames,
[5]Her blade rings with anger,
[6]Green Nepleslia strikes down the foe.

...hmm... anyone want to help?

I recommend just saying Nepleslia, instead of making it a political thing (greens).

Ah, but it IS the Greens. It's like the Blues and Greys, once the Confederates lost, the Yankee military became the one used for the nation. The losing side (red or grey) was absorbed or replaced as the Nation's military.

It would sting any Red to hear "Green Nepleslia" in the battle hymn they may be expected to sing, as hearing "Yankee United States" would injure the pride of one from the Deep South. But for the rest of the army, they know the color of their uniform, their flag, and their allegiance.

Heh, wes, dear, don't you know everything is political?

I also thought saying Green Nepleslia would be a bit ironic... because of the rampant industry and everything, I figure there's not a lot of green left on Nepleslia.

On most of it, no. Some planets (namely the ones that haven't been raped by Nepleslia's industrial might) still have some green left, EG Nepleslia Prime and some frontier planets.

Oh, and Delsauria, if you can cound "desert" as "green".

Nepleslia Core, or Planet Nepleslia, literally has no natural trees left. Probably very little shrubbery too; all of it is either artificially placed and taken care of (very sparingly, since we'd rather have a parking lot than a park) OR some very LUCKY natural plants creeping up beneath someones house.

Most of the older Nepleslia systems are most likely in the same boat, or are getting close.

Nepleslia Prime and the Colonial Expanse systems are too young to have complete floral extinction yet. But we're working on it.

Eh, I own a Korg Triton EXTREME and a small stash of talent... I could compose a cute little march to go with those lyrics. Or maybe an anthem of sorts. I smoke too much to sing it properly, though. I used to do choir when I was in college, but I haven't sung since then.

Long story short, although it's a month late to reply to the initial post, I do have the equipiment and the skills to make this a reality for the most part.

So, How do you properly pronounce Nepleslia?

neh-PLEZ-lee-ah

I think the emphasis is on the 'plez' part, it could be on the 'lee' as well.

it could also be: neh-PLESS-lee-ah

that double 's' is just to highlight the softness, don't extend the sound too much

EDIT: Also, is everyone happy with my meger lyrics? I kind of just wrote them down as my muse spat them out and did a little fine-tuning.

EDIT2: Also also, if you're going to start music'ing something up, I had a feeling that the second and fifth lines should be very loud and boistrous, like it was a drinking song, with the first and fourth lines the softest, but still very angry/tough/manly. (lyrics edited with line numbering)

I'm seeing this as more of a march of a shanty than an anthem now. I'm sure I can write something to do it justice. I may attempt to extend the lyrics. It's fine, though. There's nothing wrong or uncommon about having multiple drafts. We'll work on it.

I'd recommend that this song has a noticible rythm to it since military songs have to always been something that people have to march to. And it's something that should be shouted loud, clear, and with pride but in no way requires any kind of on key performance. I learned that much about The Army Song. No one cares how off key you are as long as you're deafeningly loud.

I'd like to hear a Nepleslian song and appreciate the effort put into one. It's always good to have someone contribute to Nepleslia. National pride and all.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back