• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at stararmy@gmail.com or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

Uniform Updates for the Star Army of Yamatai

I feel like a lot of people missed that we're not talking about a tactical uniform, but the division color (e.g engineering red) that MPs have.

Anyway, there didn't seem to be any interest in consolidating the police and emergency services division so here's what I came up with:

The uniform keeps the blue panel color and the armband is moved to the left arm and is now in emergency services neon green.

Edit: Damn it, I just realized I covered up where the enlisted rank would go. This is not going to work.

You could integrate the rank into the armband, potentially. Generally speaking, MPs don't run nearly as broad a range of ranks as the rest of the force, because they don't need the entire structure like civilian police do, so you only really need to be able to designate about... 5 ranks or so, realistically? Especially if we're breaking investigation/detectives into their own category.

MPs have the same rank scale as other Star Army soldiers. The military has far more ranks than civilian police.

Yes, but if you are in the MP branch, there isn't the same command structure. For example, the odds on ever finding an MP Shosho should be literally nil. They would report to base or ship command structures, where a police force has to build its entire command, support, and so on structures. The MPs would effectively be E1-5, one or two lower ranking officers, and anyone else would be part of the usual command structure, or a different branch entirely, so representing an MPs rank is much simpler than other branches, where it ranges the entire spectrum.

Insight on the MP matter; they should be lumped in with Investigations, make that blue essentially be an internal police as a whole. So, the color panels will match and all will be well.

I'm finally coming around to the idea of making official the working uniform skirt variant :

Wes, that doesn't even make any sense. A skirted working uniform just seems like a bad idea waiting to happen. Leave skirts and stuff to duty/dress uniforms. A working uniform is something meant to get dirty and maybe damaged on occasion because the individual is working. Skirts don't really work in the types of environments meant for a working uniform (which would probably contain machinery that would rip off skirts easily).

Abwehran, these guys would like to disagree with you.

As you see in the last picture, those guys seem pretty used to operating with machinery in dirty work environments.

In fact, when the work kilt came to our stores, i couldn't get one because it was constantly sold out. I have friends, both male and female that work in it during summer. it's sturdy, practical and lets your private regions breathe. Don't get me started on the impracticality of pants-induced fungus!

This particular skirt is made of canvas, but i have no doubt that the future will present us with more interesting sturdy fabrics.

Of course, there are certain jobs/work conditions that make skirts impossible, but those require all skin covered, more or less, for protection (Like welding. If you don't get burnt directly by occasional molten metal, then you'll still get one hell of a second degree burn suntan...) Those jobs often require very specific protective clothing that can't be solved with a singular uniform fit for all occasions.

So, i'm all for skirts! My only nitpick would be that the skirt has to be longer, so it covers the thighs entirely. They need the cover of fabric (even in skirt form).

(oh, and if you like the kilt, here's where you can buy it http://www.blaklader.se/sv/produkt/85661370-kilt-hantverk )

If the skirt is to be approved it does need to be longer. As it stands it only serves as gratuitous panty shots when they bend down to pick something up, try crawling in crawl spaces.

Honestly, I think the working skirt is practical on construction and stuff, much like the men with the kilts, but not in the Star Army itself. Besides running around in engineering, they'd have to crawl through tight confines to reach some of the more sensitive parts of the ship. And of course, to increase tension, drama and all that stuff as sparks are flying around or there are boarders looking for them. For that reason, I do not believe the skirt would work for the SAoY, especially since it may be more prone to catching on things.

A body suit for a working uniform, with belts for tool attachment and pockets that can expand would be better I think. Especially since it has a historical precedent in the setting. It's more their thing I feel.

Here's rank flags for officers of the Star Army of Yamatai (Taii and above):

Taisho:

Chujo:

Shosho:

Taisa:

Chusa:

Shosa:

Taii:

I can so see these flag designs being incorporated into officer bedspread sets. With the top comforter being designed to emulate the rank flag, for maximum style.

Reactions: Wes
Cool, so if they are in a vehicle they can have little flags for these, and when at a conference, their chair would have it on the back to mark it.

I can see skirts being on working uniforms.

After all, this is the future. What actual dirty work are we doing?

However, that does distinctly look like a miniskirt, and the provided example of a real-life parallel is quite clearly a kilt with little pocket things. Totally cool, mind, but the length of skirt is pretty clearly a factor in the amount of protection it gives to one's legs.

Also, I like the admiral flags.

I'm thinking about allowing the skirt option with something like "It is decent for hot weather conditions and is required to be worn with knee-covering socks for protective purposes" and/or "This skirt option doesn't make much sense but the Yamataian military is surprisingly into fashion so it's here anyway. Very Yamataian."

Or just common sense. The skirt is an optional piece. And the wearer can decide when to wear it.

Yeah I see no problem, allow it for workers on bridge and logistics and I dunno, but for example in engineering and maintenace, skirt is not a great thing to have on while you work.

Well, I've finally added it. I didn't put much comment on it, just added it's an option.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…