• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at stararmy@gmail.com or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

Uniform Updates for the Star Army of Yamatai

Those were suggestions for the general boots that are worn with the Type 35 uniform. You complained about them not having details. Those give ideas for details. As for your desire for combat boots. I've already spoken my peace on that.
Fair enough. I'm just trying to prioritize here since we can just stick with our current boots for non-combat uniforms in the meantime. The boots used with the duty uniform don't really need to be changed, and perhaps they shouldn't be changed a great deal, since it is a tradition-based uniform. Whereas currently there is a gap in field footwear that creates a need.

One thing we might consider is simply reusing the boot design from the old field uniform,

Or we could make a field-colored version of the working uniform's boots:

Note the added detail on these. They don't have a distinct heel or vamp but they have a padded collar (?) on the top of the upper and they have visible treads on the bottom (in dark blue).

These are the kinds of details I think our future boots need. Simple stuff like a pullstrap loop on the back and visible seems. So they look more tactical and less like rubber wellingtons.

Pictured: Old art where the boots kind of look like rain boots.

Also, I want to point out what I think are the best-drawn boots on SARP. These aren't regular combat boots. The laces don't take up much space or go all the way up. The seams are visible with a clear vamp (front of the shoe) and heel. My only hangup about these is I'd like to see a thicker sole.

Yes! That last pic of the uniform has the boots I was describing! Using that design and modifying it to fit the needs of today with thicker soles that have treads, newer fasteners and the fabric part being the same green as the uniform would be perfect, in my humble opinion. I would suggest keeping the vamp, heel, soles and leg wraps black, just to give them a distinct separation from the pants...but again, just a suggestion.

Reactions: Wes
In my wide searches of the net, I've realized the following:
  1. Almost all work and combat boots are lace-up. Hell, almost all shoes are. In terms of functional (as opposed to fashion) boots there's almost no examples of non-lace footwear for combat or work purposes. If we're looking for something without laces showing we're looking for something that doesn't exist in real life, and for a reason (see #2).
  2. No other type of lace substitute, be it straps, Velcro, or elastic, can compete with laces in terms of effectiveness. I'm not sure what we would use if not laces if we want our boots to be realistically effective. Also the more sophisticated technology we put in our boots (like automatic size adjustment), the more points of failure we give them.
  3. I actually didn't know this until this week, but combat boots are apparently contemporary fashion, particularly for women. I was amazed and the enormous number of combat-boot-styled womens boots there are. Wow! Traditional combat boots are sexy according to the global fashion consensus. Most of these are styled like the russet and later black boots worn in the Army until the tan ones took over.
Maybe the problem with the field uniform is any field uniform we make is going to look more modern than what Star Army is used to, because Star Army's never really had a really thought-out field uniform before. And modern stuff is not only seen as less sci-fi but also Nepleslia's visual turf, even though Nepleslia doesn't actually have a field uniform...probably because it would look too modern. *headdesk*

Edit:

Here's a possible contender: What about a Chelsea Boot that is tall like the one pictured above? Apparently this style is hardcore enough for Australian work boots. Chelsea boots were also used by the RCMP.

Last edited:
Maybe the problem is that modern is ancient history for SARP, you mean. Comparing what is available now to what is available in what could be literal centuries from now is ridiculous. The number of potential developments that could happen in the next fifty years, let alone hundred, that could invalidate laces is ridiculous. Yamatai is not old-school, or retro. They're high-tech, super advanced, sci-fi leaders. Act like that's the case, rather than harkening back to modern uniform styles.

I agree with the fact that we shouldn't base what we are wanting/needing for the uniforms solely on what is available today. If you look throughout history, many boots retained similar styles. The only difference is that there were subtle changes here and there to reflect was was current at the time a 'new' boot came along. So, yes, in what we would consider "today" for SARP, laces would no longer be needed. Velcro, for the most part, would no longer be needed as far as boots are concerned. We have the technology, in our present future, that would allow us to have auto sizing in the material to help keep a boot on. Let's not limit ourselves too much.

Hmm, is this a chance to link my character that apparently has the only other piece of Field Uniform artwork on the wiki? Woohoo!

Those boots would probably be fine, if you just gave them a little bit more detail.

A mention on the Chelsea boots, if you're wearing boots that high at work around here (in Australia) you'll either fill them with sweat, or look like a...well, we can't say it online anymore...

The Australian chelsea boot is ankle high or maybe an inch higher at most and are used because they don't require laces, allowing them to be slipped on or off very quickly during breaks or for tradesmen entering peoples homes. Also, they're fairly easy to install steel toe caps into while being somewhat airy at ankle height. One thing of note, though, it's almost impossible to stop wrinkles forming in these boots, it's not a very sexy look when it looks like dried, bent, dusty leather. Tradesmen in more demanding roles that require climbing will tend to wear a variation of the hiking boot.

I've made a new page on the colors used in Star Army uniforms.

Note the updated terminology for the main duty uniform colors:
  • "Star Army Regal Blue" is what has been referred to in the past as "Yamatai Flag Blue" or "Star Army Dark Blue-Gray" or "Star Army Blue"
  • "Star Army Cadet Blue" is what has been referred to in the past as "Star Army Light Blue-Gray" or "Light-Blue Gray."

How's this look?

• Changed cuffs
  • Traditional Uesureyan pointed bottom
  • Hexagons
  • Played with camo

I found an old plugin that generates camo patterns with the colors I pick, so I've been playing around with some of them. Here's one I made with color inspired by multicam and Nataria green.

I think I like this one a little better.

Here's one with hexagon action.

Here's one with subdued patches:

Hexagons everywhere!

Here's a two-tone one with and without the hexagon thing.

Some alternate designs:

Here's an animation showing the jacket changing its pattern:

I think the jacket is looking a lot better now, definitely. The different texture on the lower section with the hexagons really helps. For those boots, the second does look closer to what I was imagining, but the first seems like he's in the ballpark, just not as close.

I decided not to use the hexagons on the field utility uniform because they make it harder to draw, and because they make the fabric look, well, less fabric-y.

Here's what I got right now for the jacket: https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=stararmy:uniforms:field_jacket_type_37a

I'm not entirely satisfied with it yet. My hangups are:
  • How is the color changing feature controlled?
  • Why keep the two-tone version? I like the look but why have it and the two-tone solid version?
  • Where are the sensors for the color changing version located and should they be visible?
I feel like keeping the jacket simple and using less tech might be the best option. It's a field uniform, it's going to be put through some terrible conditions.

The two-tone variants look best, and it really isn't a stretch for Yamatai to have the tech for this.

It could just use some sort of smart-pigment or dye. Alternatively, it could even be the property of the polymer it's woven out of. The color changing ability could be handled by cheap miniature photo-receptors that are woven into the cloth itself, and powered by the wearer's own body temperature. The photoreceptors don't even need a high definition of 'vision', but just one good enough to determine color and crude patterns - basically the things necessary to generate good camouflage. In a sense, it's much like some color changing species, who have cells that do so independently of the animal's thought as an automatic response. If you want it to have a central point of processing and memory or somesuch, you can even use the tags - those annoying things would finally have a proper use! The visibility of the sensors is completely optional - I suggest going with whatever looks best. As for having more than one pattern, it could simply be a user selection.

Though you are right that just having a simple jacket would technically be the best option due to logistical symplicity, it's overlooking the other factors. Yamatai can simply afford the best, and by having items like this, is basically showing its might. Its likely the only nation where it's grunts don't complain about "Made by the Lowest Bidder" when it comes to their gear.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…