Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

Uniform Updates for the Star Army of Yamatai

So long as there's a button somewhere on the thing that acts as a dial which can turn from "Automatic Camouflage", "Lock Current Pattern", and "Presentation Mode".

Automatic Camouflage would be the basic setting that automatically generates a decent pattern based on the color palette of the surroundings.

Lock Current Pattern would of course set the currently active pattern as the priority pattern. This would be the intended default setting once you've found a pattern that works well, for the sake of not sticking out to observes in the field by changing colors all of a sudden.

Presentation Mode would be a non-patterned setting used for muster and meetings. Things like rank patches and other insignia would be visible in this mode, and it would be the recommended setting for both casual wear and when the uniform is hung up while not in use.

Okay, I've added this:

==== Operation ====
Inside the collar there are a set of buttons:

- Presentation mode, which sets the jacket to its default two-tone solid color look.
- Set Camouflage, which analyzes the surroundings and picks an appropriate camouflage color palette
- Automatic mode, in which the colors continuously update

Had an idea, perhaps it could have a port for a memory unit or something psychic that let's you upload custom patterns. that could be useful for urban situations where blending in isn't done with camouflage patterns. Perhaps there could be a variant that can mimic the basic look of different fabric. For example, An agent is being pursued. He runs down an Alley in urban camo pattern and rounds the corner into a group of people. His jacket changes to denim. He then turns again into a nightclub and he is now wearing purple suede. there happens to be a crocodile exhibit in there and he jumps in and tries to disguise himself with an alligator print pattern. he then runs to the laundry room and disguises himself as a sack of laundry. he then runs out of the night club and to the next door knocking whil his jacket makes him look like a Girl Scout. at the last moment he changes his mind, seeing as that would have been a bad idea and changes it to look like a police jacket... trust me when I say I could go on all day with this but I'll just stop here. Could be handy.

my main concern would be the electronics and power source driving the system. How would this thing be resistant against an EMP? What is its power source?it could be using a photovoltaic power source, but then what happens at night?

Last edited:
Haha. That's cool, but it's not made for secret agents, it's made for infantry grunts. The power source is a small battery that can be recharged by being worn by a Nekovalkyrja. It's possible that an EMP might break this (I'm not sure). This is one of the reasons I wanted to stick with a simple cloth jacket with minimal tech. But it's also possible that graphene nanociruitry is like a Faraday cage that will protect stuff inside the jacket. I think I'll go with the latter explanation?

I need everyone's comments on these boots.

Added the following control system to the jacket:
  • LOAD:
    • Press to load a stored pattern
    • Press and hold to revert to the default two-tone solid color look.
  • SET:
    • Press to update camouflage pattern's color palette based on the surroundings.
    • Press and hold to store a pattern in memory.
  • AUTO:
    • Press to activate or deactivate reactive camouflage; colors are continuously updated.
    • Press and hold to make the jacket high-visibility neon green (for survival and safety situations, etc)
Field Utility Jacket Type 37A Enlisted safety green.png
Built-in safety belt!

That boot design looks awesome but it seems like it belongs with semi-powered armor or a powered suit or some type of armor that does not qualify for common PA. May be cool if we built a light armor system for it

Ehh... I'm okay wearing these boots when going to do alpine skiing.

But for doing actual walking around - especially in a combat situation - these look awkward.

I think the page for the jacket is done! Type 37A Field Utility Jacket
  • Added subdued ranks!
  • Desert camo example shown.
  • RIKUPAT camouflage pattern has its own page now.
So now we just need to figure out the hat, the pants, belt, and the boots so we can get a utility uniform.

I'm starting to look at a revamp of the Star Army's Awards and Medals. Here's my work-in-progress page. I'm looking for your feedback and suggestions on what awards we should have. Later, the new awards page will be updated to include a info on what it takes to get the award, who can give it, and how it's worn. Also I'm open to suggestions for devices to indicate multiple medals as requested.

Hmm, looks good, the service type awards definitely need a better structure than what exists currently and guidelines for each so it's not just GM fiat. Specific war medals are more accurate to real life too. Are you still planning on keeping ancillary awards like the Tomoy's Kikyo (purple heart), Good Conduct, etc?

The Blood Medallion was actually one of the first inspiration for the scope of the Miharu plot in the first place. Part of the plot's design intent was to deliver an adventure that could potentially yield the Blood Medallion as a reward.

It being removed would rob the Star Army of one thing which had been perceived as its highest mark of prestige.

I thought the old medals were good. Do we really need all new ones? Maybe it would be better to just update the page.

I'm hoping to include most of the existing ones in some form.

Current stuff on the table:

I'm considering an updated version of the Type 35 uniform that is slightly altered but overall it's generally the same.

Current ideas for this iteration of the uniform:
  1. The second strip of (cuff) piping near the wrist would be omitted and sleeve rank stripes would be moved closer to the wrist, accordingly.
  2. The two skirt types could possibly be merged into a standard type with a flat front and pleated sides.
  3. When worn in the "formal" configuration with medals for fancy events, white pants and stockings would be worn instead of cadet blue.
That's all I got but I'm open to suggestions.

Here are some opinions on those ideas

1. yabsuhlutely not why would you kill the cuff do nawt do that
2. I'd have to see a silhouette of the new skirt type to really understand what you're talking about, but the picture in my head looks kind of dumb. That said, it's really time for one skirt. Having two skirts has always gotten me. Also, pencil skirts in the military have always struck me as dumb.
3. Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes. Maybe even make a fully white uniform.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back