• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at stararmy@gmail.com or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

Uniform Updates for the Star Army of Yamatai

1. Removing the stripe could avoid some confusion I've seen in recent commissions for character art for sure. Other than that it would make the sleeves fairly plain, especially for all those who do not have rank stripes on the cuffs, so I'd lean more towards keeping it myself

2. I'd say keep both current types, I like options

3. I like this, would definitely look more dressy! And I second Lamb's motion for full dress whites!

Reactions: Wes
Based on feedback, we will:

1. Keep the cuff piping
2. Keep the current two types of skirts.
3. Start moving towards white pants/stockings with the Type 35 uniform's Class A Formal configuration with it being optional at first and slowly becoming the standard over time. Side note: This will also help with IRL cosplay IMO, since the proper colored pants were hard to procure. This change is now on the wiki and is effective September 1st.

The question of shoes has arisen. White shoes or black shoes with the white pants? White looks nice, but black does too and we already have lots of black dress shoes that are fine for it.

I'd weigh on the side of black shoes, probably both for logistical simplicity and for proper contrast with the whites.

If it were two tone wheels, I'd say they're stylish, but no so much with shoes. It's too much small scale contrast and not enough large scale contrast. Since the pants are a large portion and are all white, might as well have the shoes be solid black I think.

Well, on the other hand, the YSE did have an all-white dress uniform once IIRC. While coming up with this stuff, we gotta ask ourselves what Yamatai is wanting out of it's uniform from an IC perspective as well. Do they want to stand out in stark-white, or look like a more conventional military of today?

Black shoes, which will contrast with the white pants. Otherwise they'll run together.

Looking at this image, I kind of infer that with a dark top like the one we use, it's more traditional to use dark shoes, and if the top was all white, we'd use white shoes.

That's actually not bad looking. I hated wearing all white when working in the hospital, but when you're not the one wearing it...

EDIT:
You're right though; since it's a black top with white pants, some black shoes are likely best.

Okay, based on feedback, we're going to stick with just black shoes.

"In the span of thousands of years,we went to the stars, conquered countless worlds, stopped ravenous alien hordes and built mighty fleets. But they still make us recruits Kiwi our shoes." -unnamed graduating cadet.

The color "Gunbelt Gray," #333333, in Star Army uniforms is being replaced by the very similar color Jet Black, #343434. This affects Star Army of Yamatai duty uniforms' boots, belts, shoes (excluding gloss black), and gloves. This is primarily a name change.

Also, reminder that "Star Army Blue" and "Star Army Gray," aka "dark blue gray" and "light blue-gray" are now being referred to as the actual colors "Regal Blue" and "Cadet Blue." This does not affect the hex codes we use. The technical names for these colors are Star Army Regal Blue and Star Army Cadet Blue, although these are normally left off for brevity purposes.

The Star Army clothing store page has been updated accordingly with the new color names above.

Also, the "sky blue" color sample image on the wiki has been updated to the correct web color, which is NOT the infantry cornflower blue color. You will have to check your roster pages to make sure the correct image is linked. If you linked the old image instead of the one from the color page, it could change color to sky blue instead of the proper infantry color (Cornflower Blue).

You can find all the colors used in the Star Army of Yamatai uniforms, including image examples and hex codes, at https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=stararmy:uniforms:colors

Tails are now optional with Nekovalkyrja bodies, based on player feedback.

Uniforms will have to be adapted to accommodate tails in some cases. For skirts and pants I think we'll just include a version with a tail hole that's covered by V-shaped flap.

Eistheid pointed out this could pose issues for people using power armor.

I think it's a very good point. Retooling the Mindy/Daisy for that could get rather cost-prohibitive. They're already pretty conformal suits of armor.

Misato Suzume, because of my newness and the fact there was a body update right as I joined up, so she changed bodies in the first rp session for me... Ended up with a tail 3 1/2 years ago... She wraps it around her waist like a belt, (or like Sajyans from Dragon Ball Z)

Reactions: Wes
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…