• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at stararmy@gmail.com or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

Uniform Updates for the Star Army of Yamatai

I could easily make a Nepleslian versio for you. Send me a conversation with the color arrangement you want it to have. I made this one from a stock image that I purchased.

Here's the new blue exercise uniform:

Here's the cold(er) weather configuration of the new exercise uniform:

I don't know why the socks aren't shown, but I might edit them in myself.

In case you missed what was said in the chat in response to your query.

I added some more information based on the requests above.

I'm thinking of broadening the allowable usage of jika-tabi with more types of Star Army uniforms. Currently they can be used instead of boots for the Type 37 Utility Uniform but I was thinking this could be expanded to allow jika-tabi with the Type 35 Duty Uniform, Class B (but not Class A), the Coverall Type 36, and basically any uniform you'd be able to wear boots with.

This is what Jika-tabi look like. Think boots for ninjas. And yes, there are steel toe versions.

They are very popular with Japanese construction workers (click link for badass gallery of examples).

Edit: Found an example of a sort of "formal" variant:

As I said in the chat box I can see these being popular with SAINT elements involved in either wetwork or infiltration where they can't risk 'noisy' gear like anti-grav or a PA. Additionally I'd imagine they'd be popular with terrestrial soldiers, particularly scouts.

I suppose it could possibly become some sort of marker among SAoY forces that indicate those who are more comfortable with preforming infantry operations outside of PA. Might spawn a rivalry between those in the SAoY who approve of more subtlety in deployments and those who would rather just kick in the door with PA no matter the circumstances.

If they won't be compulsory, then I do not see a reason to not use it. I mean I probably won't have my character use them, but that does not mean they cannot be an option.

I'm not really a Yamatai person so I'm not sure I should comment here, but the boots are interesting.

From my limited understanding they seem to culturally be similar to the Pull-On boot in Australia, were they're worn by workers with more fashionable variations for women. While the decision is completely up to Wes, I do foresee problems with these boots even with steel-cap versions, simply due to the caps being both weaker (due to the need to fit between toes on one side), and having a perfect place to channel objects coming from the front into the foot in an area I don't think would be protected. Basically if working near cutting equipment, expect increased chances of feet being cut in half length-ways.

But yeah, good looking boots.

my wife has been jumping around in tabi for years now. she loves them, and she claims she has better traction, balance, and her feet don't tire as quickly.

Reactions: Wes
Changes incoming! Here's what I want to do:
  • Working uniform tops dark blue fabric color replaced by a version with Star Army Royal Blue (just a palette change)
    • Why: Standardization, and to match the color of the duty uniform and the YSE flag. Since other colors are changing (see below) this is a good opportunity.
  • Replace dark blue pants on the working uniform with Nataria Green ones.
    • Optional: Also allow Star Army Cadet Blue cargo pants from Duty Uniform Class B
    • These green pants will be cross-compatible with the Star Army Utility Uniform
    • Nataria Green Coverall Type 36 would be able to be mixed with the Working Uniform or Utility Uniform tops.
    • Why: This change cuts down on the number of pants needed to be issued and improves cross-compatibility of Star Army Uniforms
  • Star Army Type 32 Utility Belts: Stop making them in Star Army Cadet Blue and Olive Drab and start making them in jet black.
    • Why: There's no reason to issue two colors of the same belt, one for the working uniform and one for the utility uniform.
The color-changed version would be the Working Uniform, Type 38. The dark blue version would remain usable for about 3 years (until YE 41), the length of an enlistment contract, so no soldiers would be forced to purchase them, and to keep older art from expiring too quickly.

New artwork needed:
  • Poncho
  • Utility uniform
    • Utility pants
  • Jika-tabi
  • Recolored working uniform as specified above
  • Star Army Backpack (in Rikupat)
  • Star Army Butt Pack (in Rikupat)
  • Star Army Sleeping bag (in Rikupat) - also need to add this to wiki and standard issue

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…