• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Uniform Updates for the Star Army of Yamatai

Did Shiho start this question of sleeve rolling?

I had her come to the conclusion that she probably wasn't allowed because it might potentially cover the bands around the lower arms which indicate your rank, and concealing rank in some way seemed like it was probably a no-no.

Although if this is allowed, Shiho will not be allowed on civilian flights anymore. Not showing off dem guns anyway.

Actually, I was inspired by the US Army is doing: http://www.armytimes.com/story/mili...combat-uniforms-new-pilot-fort-hood/85989880/

If you look at the example, the ranks are not covered up:

index.php

Also I found a thread that shows how the US Army used to roll our sleeves: http://www.scifihero.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=550

I thought several ranks had stripes on their right forearm, particularly warrant officers.

Also they seriously just got that? They've had sleeves rolled up over here in Australia for years... I guess it's just the 'to heck with it, it's hot' thing we got down here.

Good point. I'm not sure there's ever been an example of officer rank on a coverall, though. Maybe they should just use pins, because gold rank decoration seems goofy for a uniform used to work on cars and stuff.

I checked and the coverall already uses pins for officers, so no ranks would be covered by rolling the sleeves on those. The working uniform uses officer pins, too.

In the Navy we wore our rank on our collar or as a flat one-piece patch on our left upper sleeve. Having a pin or patch on your arms below the elbow would actually have been a safety hazard, if a minor one.

I imagine the equivalent in Star Army would be having the patch on the uniform. Or, having the patches be holographic. NH can project that sort of thing.

Interesting thought.

Also we did the sleeve rolling thing in a VERY SPECIFIC WAY too when the NWU's came out.

Those expensive, useless things. . . >_>

That looks really cool. Now I want all my characters to wear them.

I was thinking the interior of the flap would be the same color as the interior. Also, do you guys like or dislike the metal heel? Technically it wasn't in the specs but it looks kind of neat.

Star Army Jika-Tabi.pngStar_Army_Jika-Tabi.png

Here's a concept for a version with the cloth exterior in camouflage.
Star_Army_Jika-Tabi_rikupat.png

My two cents that might not be relevant, but wouldn't metal be conductive? That being said, I like them a lot more now then before seeing them illustrated.

I remember how to roll BDU sleeves from long ago... NPS summer uniform mercifully has short sleeves (even if the material is god-awful uncomfortable).

I like the metal heel because it makes them look scifi and like they were made for a scifi military. Soldiers would, of course, have tactical options to get rid of it. But I think it'd look nice as part of a technician or engineer's uniform.

Here's some articles by female military personnel that I found very interesting:
  1. Nobody Asked Me But... #SaveTheSkirt by LT Allison Scott, USN
  2. Why Changing The Female Marine Corps Uniform Is A Mistake by Major Nicole V. Bastian, USMC, and Captain Mabel Annunziata, USMC
Please take the time to read them both, or at least the second one. They raise a lot of interesting points. Foremost is that the guys updating uniforms (and let's be honest, it's usually men) for the military forces are trying to push for gender equality by making uniforms that are as unisex as possible, for example having women wear the same type of hats as their male counterparts, or banning skirts. However, these efforts generally result in uniforms that are disliked by female service members. Their (the article authors') argument is that women should be seen as equals while having different uniforms because equality is not about what you're wearing, and having women that look like women in your formation is better than having women who are dressed in the same way as the men. I used to be supportive of things like the same hats for women (because I think they look better and I like a more uniform look) but now I'm not so sure (and combination caps just don't work well, in a technical sense, on heads with long hair). It's given me a new perspective.

In terms of the Star Army of Yamatai, we used to have separate duty uniforms for males and females, but now we have a common one. And it makes me think, I'm glad I didn't eliminate the skirt option at the time I implemented the current look. Also, Yamatai's women officers wear a cap that is basically a combination cap like the US Military uses, but luckily our characters are drawn, not live action, so they don't have to worry about it falling off, lol.

Does this mean we'll be seeing more of the Type 30C?
Probably not. In the art I get, I almost always go for the "main" duty uniform because that's the iconic look of the Star Army. Whereas the 30C is worn usually by people who like that style. I think the amount of people using the 30C will be about the same as it is now (fairly uncommon). But this does open the door for consideration of gender-specific uniforms or uniform accessories. One thing that isn't addressed in the articles is non-binary genders...and more unisex uniforms seem to make sense in the context of having a variety of genders beyond regular male and female.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back