Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 September 2024 is YE 46.7 in the RP.

What is the intended tier of the Twin Plasma turret?

Alex Hart

When looking at Nepleslian ships, I noticed that some list the twin plasma turret as being tier 8/9 but others, and the weapon's page, list it as being tier 11. Given the fire rate of the weapon, I feel that tier 8 makes much more sense for it, but I wanted to see what other people thought about it. Certainly tier 11 30 times per second is far too much for what's ostensibly a point defense weapon.

Its role is anti-starship, which is even listed separate from its damage rating. Anything below 10 is not anti-starship. It should be 11 due to what it was made to be. Ship pages that state it is 8 or 9 should be corrected. It goes worth saying that the update from DR 2 to 3 was done by Wes and has not been edited from what he adjusted it to, 11.

At some point a footnote was edited out that clarified that as being a combined rps. Each barrel is firing at 15 rps, combined it is 30.

It looks like it was auto-converted, so I feel like it needs a second look. Tier 9 at the rate of fire it has more than makes it a threat to ships, and tier 11 is just absurd.

Regardless, it is a direct translation of SDR 3. There is no "it could be 9 or 10, but also 11" on the conversion to DRv3 section. It is simply that it would be 11.

This is an old SARP article. It's a useful piece of equipment. It doesn't need to change because 1 (one) person in the past decade has seen it as OP when it's, frankly, not OP for the setting it is in. It fires a lot and it has a short duration within which it can sustain that and a short range. For comparison, its range is 0.004 AU, rounded up. AU is the distance between us and the sun. It's a small distance and a small window for how long it can fire. I don't believe it needs a change.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back