• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Wiki Maintenance

Our wiki has been causing some issues lately. Some of the code and plugins are outdated, causing lots of error messages to pile up behind the scenes. While troubleshooting a brief site outage tonight, I noticed the log files alone from all the errors basically took up all the space on the server. Obviously this is a problem. So, I'm going to make some changes:
  • I removed well over 100 GB of unneeded log files that were filling the server's disk space, and disabled certain types of logging
  • The wiki will be moved to its own server to isolate any issues it has.
  • Plugins that are causing error messages, unless vital, will be removed
  • I'm going to make a new version of the wiki's style/template/theme
The cause of this is basically that Dokuwiki is an open-source project that simply hasn't caught up to the latest version of PHP, especially when it comes to the plugins. Hopefully a future release(s) will solve a lot of this but some of the plugins may just have to be removed.

I apologize for the brief outage tonight. I really try to give you guys the highest-quality environment to RP in in terms of speed and software. You may have noticed I've been battling overly-aggressive bots lately and these issues with Dokuwiki are basically amplifying the bots' impact on site performance because every time a page was loaded, Dokuwiki was writing down errors.

If all this goes over your head, that's okay. Sorry to get all technical. Just know that I've identified the issues a lot more clearly now and I've got a better plan to solve them.

The best thing you guys can do to help the site is to keep RPing and posting on the forum.

Last edited:
UPDATE: The wiki has been soul-transferred to its new home on wiki.stararmy.com. All your old links will still work (they'll automatically be rewritten to the new address).

RPG-D RPGfix
Back