• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at stararmy@gmail.com or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

Wiki Updates - October 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
One must also consider... how many of those users are also PC users.

Well, I went and removed the wrapping, especially considering the plugin already seemed to not work.

Can't say I care much for the result, though.

I'm not really keen in being a voice of dissent, but I have to admit I find a grain of truth in the people unimpressed with the wiki's aged presentation.

That's the thing, @Fred - the vast majority of wiki users create articles that utilize the WRAP function correctly. It's just a few that, in my humble opinion, are - for lack of a better term - "ruining" it for others by deliberately utilizing formatting and/or content that abuses the WRAP function (under the guise of "making it look cool," "being more efficient," "providing more information," and so on) and makes articles virtually unreadable.

Reactions: raz
And here's all the wiki pages that got essentially broken because of that. https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?do=search&id=</WRAP> yay, so much better getting rid of a feature instead of getting another one.

Edit: oh, which includes every wip on the wiki that had the banner at the top.

Edit 2: Example - https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=wip:test

Edit 3: Apparently there are pages on the wiki that are broken that aren't on the list I linked to above, so said list is not exhaustive of the pages that have been broken. I'm assuming because there's too many too list, but that's speculation on my part.

Last edited:
In my humble opinion, removing the WRAP function would have never been necessary had it not been repeatedly abused over and over by a few community members.

And so everyone should get punished and built in page templates should be broken because of 'a few community members' supposed abuse, instead of working something out that would cause a lot less frustration on both sides? That's one of the laziest things I've ever heard of.

Most of my pages are broken now, tbh. But I never got any complaints about them using the wrap plugin because it's important to use it with discretion, which I did. Someone who knows DokuWiki formatting should not be able to assume you're using it when they look at a finished page.

If we added wrap plugin style rules to the existing style guide would that help? I'd be willing to do this, and it'd definitely include that the rest of an article must conform to proper templating if WRAP is used. Something a reviewer can point to and say "you're not using WRAP correctly" so that people stop using it improperly could be part of a solution.

I'd have to agree with Arieg on that one. Given how Frost had previously edited articles without permission, I don't trust him with that job.

Please do not make personal attacks, @Acewing13, as said attacks are "not permitted" by the Code of Conduct.

This. A thousand times, this.

I would suggest that Frost take up the mantle of updating the WRAP pages. He suggested that we get rid of it, after all.

Nice try, @xImmortalxBeauty - but instead of "volunteering" someone you have a known dislike of, why not do it yourself instead?

I'd... rather not have him poking around in my articles.

Yet another reason I shouldn't be the one updating the aforementioned pages, @xImmortalxBeauty.

I'd have to agree with Arieg on that one. Given how Frost had previously edited articles without permission, I don't trust him with that job.

Since when was permission needed to remove perceived metagaming attempts, @CadetNewb?

Edit: If you're referring to the "Tange Affair," then yes, the edits were made without permission - but that was only because of the fact that, well, from my perspective (with no way of knowing that Wes had approved the changes) Gallant's edit seemed to be an unauthorized addition to an approved article.

It doesn't matter if you think something on the wiki is incorrect Frost - you follow procedure and bring it up in either a post on the forums, or a PM to the staff. You don't have any authority to touch someone else's work without permission.

Yes people. Get the plows and pitchforks out.

We know how much they help, don't we?

How about you stow the implications that you don't trust someone or don't like them much. Chances are that if you've already done so, some people might be pretty damned sick of you refusing to do what is necessary to bury the hatchet in order to act like a damned adult.

This thread is about Wes making some changes on the wiki and making certain decisions on existing content. You can be constructive and air your opinion without putting someone else down. You're all smart people, you don't need putdowns to prop your own opinions to heightened validity.

Like a leader that I know and greatly respect once said:

"If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything."
~ Bambi

Seeing as how removing the wrap plugin has gone Fred, I think it's better we keep that in place. Having a second plugin to help mobile users is a better solution I believe.

I made the suggestion of why don't we work together to make a layout that looks better and it's mobile friendly, or set up a plug-in that, like Wikipedia, changes the layout of a page to be mobile friendly.

I'll make it again. Why don't we work together to make a layout that looks good on desktop but works on mobile? We know it's possible. So let's figure out how to do it.

Do feel free to start a Settings Discussion topic if you want to 'think tank' your way to something which could possibly be an improvement.

I'm afraid I'll be of little help. I, like my rolemodel Bambi, am not exactly very wiki savvy. Our expertise mostly results in something like this:

"Pretty!"
~ Something Fred imagines Bambi would say.

The template already changes the layout. For example it moves and collapses the sidebar and it collapses the TOC. The page tools are moved into a dropdown on the mobile view. The wiki already looks fine on mobile and the vast majority of pages look great. It's only the ones where people try to get fancy with the coding that look off.

I don't think we are exactly seeing eye to eye on what I mean by new template and layout.

I'm talking character sheet template/layout or faction template/layout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…