• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

Year-End Festival [Year-End Holidays] Winter-Nights (Yule) Solstice Spectacular! (YE 44)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miyako

🎖️ Game Master
RP Date
YE 44.9 (Solstice->Until New Year's Day)
RP Location
Kyoto, Yamatai
Downtown Kyoto, Planet Yamatai
Winter-Night Lights Pavilion

There was a flurry of activity on the night of Winter Solstice in downtown Kyoto, which was coincidentally encountering a heavy snowfall that early evening. Festivities in the massive park sandwiched between immensely tall skyscrapers and access to mass transit had been underway since at least 1500 hours local time, but the big announcements were coming as the longest night of Winter set in. The party promised to be a complete blowout, and the main event was the lighting of the massive Norse spruce that was replanted in front of a positively massive feasting hall made out of dark wood, and decorated with lights.

Anyone who could be on Yamatai was invited, with explicit invitations going to members of the Motoyoshi, Ketsurui, and Shimizu Clans. Employees not working the event were given the rest of the year off and encouraged to attend. Given the change in temperature and clime, the Norians were invited through Aestaesys Airwin Caeyara with a handwritten card signed by Akina and Katsuko. Just in case, there was a special place attuned to their specific biology in one of the buildings nearby, off of the lobby.

The park was totally transformed into a mashup of Yamatai traditions at the end of the year leading up to New Year's Day. In addition to the feasting hall a large circular ice rink had been created, with the free skate rentals were doing a brisk business, though not as much as the stalls selling hot drinks for the wind-chapped! Revelers were everywhere despite the heavy snowfall, many were actively enjoying it. Opposite the Hall on the other side of the rink about 50 meters away there were lights beaming into large-scale ice sculptures. All the standards were there from snowflake and reindeer shapes to an attempt at the Empress herself. An amateur competition was being organized, and introductory classes (with no few Kodians) were all part of the fun.

Along the western path skirting the attractions there were booths and vendors of all kind that could be corralled into coming. Crews of starships willing to staff booths were given them, and the option to make their own treats and/or gifts to pass out, or use part of the funding for the event to furnish their generosity. There was a lottery booth to award a Princess-Class Yacht and all associated berthing and maintenance fees for five years, as well as secondary prizes.

Inside the great hall it was a buzz of activity. Real fires had been lit and filled the space with heat as much as all the bodies packed inside. Just like most of the staff hired for the Spectacular, they were in various kinds of costumes based on their interests. They ranged from full animal outfits to cheery and sometimes hideous sweaters. Hot food including the somehow traditional fried chicken and white cake with all the fixings was up for grabs, and a massive assortment of drinks from the Tokyo Brewing Company and other companies were being enjoyed with abandon.

For those seeking a reprieve from the nippy weather the skyscraper behind the hall led up to take the elevators to the top floor of the building to enjoy the sights such as they were, from on high in the hospitality suite there at the company headquarters. All of the buildings were specially decorated to have their lights out, and only as two figures flanked by many more made their way on the stage did they begin to slowly fade into colors, then slowly fade out so another on a different floor or further down could light up.

Dwarfed by the unlit tree a large stage had been set up, with snowflake patterns crossing the ground in front of a microphone as things finally started to get underway in earnest for the big lighting ceremony. There were risers for a choir, and a section where a band was already set up. The volumetric projectors turned on, and a band all bundled up with a small group of singers in more traditional outfits from Winter kimono to very Norse styled gowns and trousers. The music swelled as they took the stage, and joined the medley in singing songs about the holiday, and the joy of being with each other.

For some time the two figures stood in front of the orchestra while one conducted it. After covering the band on the massive projected screens, it cut to them. Princess Taisho Shimizu-Motoyoshi Akina wove her hands confidently and worked them through the song with one hand. The other was around a slightly taller blue-haired woman, very easily recognized as Jōkōgō Heika Motoyoshi-Ketsurui Katsuko, her wife. The redhead, whose hair sparkled even more than she had modified it to under the lights, looked positively energized as the song moved into the last minute, and closeups on their faces showed them blushing either from the cold, each other, or both.

People carrying volumetric candles they were given joined them after a time, but stayed to either side out in front of the orchestra, where they sat down. The seating was for Star Army Command Staff, Ketsurui, Motoyoshi, Shimizu, the Norian state leader if he attended and his retinue, and serving members of the Senate of Yamatai if they chose to attend. More handwritten invitations had gone out to the Empress and the heirs of each Clan, so anyone could show up!

The music came to a crashing, bouncy crescendo at the end and suddenly stopped as Katsuko suddenly raised her hand and directed the last page of music! When it ended, they both bowed slightly to the performers, then turned around and bowed in greeting to the crowd.

Akina took the microphone and placed her other hand in her wife's as the lights hit her and the screens showed her from the waist-up. She wore a traditional Norse dress that flowed to the floor, had a collar that was patterned in rare winter plants and trees, and it had a rather comfortable and warm looking sash around her midsection. A dagger hung from it in a sheath, and her makeup had been carefully applied to show up easily from the stage without being too dramatic, including a nice berry tone for her lips.

"Happy Yule, Kyoto!" She shouted, to get the crowd to shout back, which it did in a raucous song. A big smile cracked her face as she motioned out, sending the snowflake patterns to drift through the crowd while they all got more and more real snow on them.

She continued, "We're going to throw the switch up here and light up the whole complex to kick off in a moment. I want to welcome you to the First Annual Winter-Nights Solstice Spectacular! Happy Yule, to one and all! I'm so happy you've come to join us, it's really touching. It has been quite a year, and most of us have been through a lot, so we're going to party and enjoy each other's company like it counts, because it always does." After a pause, her eyes went to one of the screens.

"I have always wanted to do something like this, but this year there's even more reason to celebrate! Thanks to the hard work of everyone on our most involved project to date, I want to announce a new SYNC ecosystem of services and products to the Empire, but not just the Empire, to the sector!" At the clapping from the stage, she paused before going on. The words '桔梗connect' Flashed on the screen after a swooping transition of white and gold snowflakes obscured her face.

Akina continued to speak as a video showing a sleek hub page started to shift into three dimensions for a user with a volumetric projector coming from her Star Army Communicator. It swooped into her eyes, and then back out as she held up her hand to meet another pair of women in a mountainous region, meeting her with their snowboards. After that, images of a shopping hub both as a static page and a generated construct to browse with sensory input flashed on the screen.

"Consider this service formally available to the public. Use it to make connections across the vastness of space. Wherever SYNC reaches, Kikyo Connect will take you further. I am going to keep this brief, you can see all the features at the product store near the skating rink on the Western side." A vague gesture with the mic went in that direction, "My daughter Miu, one of the project managers, will also be there. She's dressed like a bear. Sort of. You can't miss her. With that all out of the way, I am officially announcing the formation of the Shimizu Zaibatsu to help manage our growing business. The work everyone has done to put these things together, not to mention working on the Spectacular is tremendous, and I am even happier to be here with my wife, Katsuko. I feel as giddy as when we met, and we're even closer now." That elicited both merry cheering as well as some hoots from the crowd, and some on the stage with them laughed softly.

"Now, if you'll help me?" Their hands went to a large switch on a pedestal in front of them. "Okay everyone, time to light up the Winter Nights! Count with me!"

"Ten...nine...eight...seven...six...five...four..." The crowd became louder and louder as the numbers went lower, and the band and choir both prepared themselves to perform.
"...three..."
"...two..."
"...one!"

Together, the couple turned the light, which sent a wireless signal to the computer operating all the lighting, including with those in the buildings around them. The tree blazed to life from the star on down, and like it was spreading from that point of light, all around the park beautiful displays lit up, surrounding the entire place in twinkling lights beaming through the onslaught of snow.

"Happy Yule! Winter-Nights has officially started! Enjoy the rest of your night, and into the morning. Free access to the premium service from Knet will be given out to anyone wearing fancy dress, that is, a costume of some kind, at the main Shimizu tent, or just find a wandering gift giver to sign up! If you enter the lottery, you may get far more than a year! Again, from all of us at the Shimizu Clan, and Motoyoshi Clan, the best Yule to all of you."

The cheering started to swell again, and that's when the band took over to play them off the stage as the music, full of pomp and cheer started up again. They moved off following the VIPs also leaving the stage, as the official festival finally got underway in earnest, lighting up the Empire's home with light and merry-making.

Last edited:

Naika

Swirling snow dotted Naika's ponytail making it sparkle in the light as she watched the festivities hosted by Akina and Katsuko. None of the other Norians had arrived yet so she was sat alone wearing the traditional Aest Vyrdi. The one she wore was particularly conservative, of a black background with dark purple patterns influenced from Yamataian culture. Though she sat by herself she silently hoped another Caeyara would show.

She found herself cheerfully counting down with the others for the tree to be lit. Joy spread through her as the countdown reached its end and their hosts lit the ginormous tree. Filled with holiday glee she clapped her hands, now more than ever determined to enjoy at least a portion of the festivities provided. Though she was free to venture around on her own unaccompanied, she figured she would wait a moment where any Ysi would easily be able to find her.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thia strolled happily through the park, happy to have a chance to get out of uniform and unwind for the first time since she'd taken her commission. Rather than her standard-issue black combat boots, she was wearing impossibly high heels, boosting her lithe 5'10" body well past the 6' mark. The shoes themselves seemed to be carved of crystal clear ice through which onlookers could see that her toenails were painted icy blue, matching her fingernails and lipstick. Around her otherwise naked body swirled holographic snow that sparkled and provided an eye-catching contrast to her dark skin and always seemed to be preserving her modesty, despite being ever-shifting and seemingly insubstantial. Her hair, which normally hung down to her shoulders, seemed to be caught in the same whirlwind as the snow being projected around her, gently dancing around her head in a flowing liquid-like mane.

As her one organic and one cybernetic eye scanned the revellers around herself, she quickly spotted Naika sitting by herself and walked over. "You look like you could use some company," Thia's voice purred as she held out a hand to greet the Norian. "Call me Thia. And what would you like me to call you, precious?"

Kari stood motionless, staring into the glassy eyes of the insignificant creature who had only moments ago decided to challenge her to a contest. At the time, Kari thought it would last but a moment before ending in her opponent's defeat, but she realized that she'd underestimated the boy. Her eyes had long since begun to dry up from the light wind, but she knew that if she were to blink, it would be all over. She couldn't let that happen, not when she could tell he was about to crack. Just when she felt like her will was running out, the boy started blinking rapidly. Victory!

"Otay, you win. You're good at staring, miss," the small child, whose winter garments made him look like a marshmallow, said with a giggle. "Can I haff treat now?"

"You may," Kari said, finally allowing herself to flutter her eyelids a few times as she reached to grab a bowl of snow cream from the booth she had volunteered to staff for the evening, which she promptly handed to him. "You were a worthy opponent, young man. There was honour, even if your defeat."

"I'ma tha best at staring contests in my whole wide school," the boy said as he started munching loudly on the sweetened snow.

"Of that I have no doubt," Kari said with a nod, to which the boy replied by getting distracted and walking away. Narrowing her eyes, she watched him leave and wondered if he had truly given it everything he had, or if he had taken pity on her.

Jackson stood in the long line of people waiting for snow cream. Why were his favorite things always the most popular? Sighing, he turned his head to look at the large tree in the center of it all. His hometown, Kobe, never had a tree that big. And never a skating rink too. The idea of trying it bounced around in his head, but that went away once he saw a new skater looking like a new born baby deer. He couldn't do that unless he had some friends to help him. Seeing all the families, all the people, made him think about his family. Letting the melancholy emotions take over, he looked up to the sky. I wonder what Moms doing? he thought to himself. Is she still making her town famous winter casserole? She cried when I left. And what about dad? Is he still ranting about how to find the best trees? He hit me when I told him I wanted to join the army, even though he had never- "Sir? What are you going to order?" Jackson blinked, having the cashier cut into his thoughts. "Huh? Oh um just one." "What flavor?" "Uh, Ill just get the original." "Okay. that'll be 4 KS please." Jackson went to swipe his card. This is it, the 15 minute wait better have been worth it. Wait do I even like the original? Theres other flavors? I swear to god If I have to get back in the fu- "Your order sir." The cashier handed him a bowl of snow cream. "Thank you," Jackson said, taking the bowl from the cashier. Taking the spoon up to his mouth, he finally tasted the long awaited treat. And it was good. Walking and eating, he was practically shoveling the food into his mouth. Life is good. Siting behind the booth, he took another bite. The future is bright and everyones happy. Deciding to wait in the line again, he started to get up from the bench Yule is the best goddamn holiday ever, I mean, how do they even make this stuf- his thoughts were cut short as he slipped on some ice, spilling the ambrosia all over the floor as he fell to it. Overcome with fear, anger, sadness, sorrow, and loss, he could only stay on his knees and look up at the sky and cry. For in life there is only suffering for men like him, sinners that hurt the things that mater most to themselves, and destroy the things that bring them joy.

Winter-Nights Lights Pavilion
Behind the Snow Cream Booth -
Miyako

The first person to get to Jackson was reindeer! Okay, well, a woman in a reindeer costume that covered her head with that of a very cute reindeer by way of volumetrics, so it was just the right amount of warm for the pop icon, but no one could recognize her either. The woman's voice was easy enough to pinpoint for fans, but this was the best she could do, and it gave her an excuse to wear a costume to the Winter-Nights festival, the only one that fit her thanks to it being a rejected costume for her most recent show. There was talk of her performing before her next orders arrived, but she was going to do one on the Knet anyway, and that would reach almost as many people, not counting the crowd there in real-time.

The costume was made with care, and it had lush, fluffy brown fur with a lighter tone along the underside. She even had a cute sleigh harness on, and everything! It was easy to hear all the bells on it jingling merrily as she moved.

Instead of helping him up, she handed him her second helping of snow-cream. "You look like you need this." Really one would be enough for her, there were more booths to visit. "You're okay, right?" The friendly ungulate chimed while making the nose wiggle by probably just wiggling her nose behind the mask such as it was, if he had to guess. Seeing the spill that was caused sent some of the groundskeepers towards the patch to take care of it, though they were a bit out still.

Winter-Nights Lights Pavilion
Stage - Akina

With their duty done and the orchestra and choir going all out to give those remaining a longer show, it was definitely time to think about what to do next. She lifted the hand still not grasping Katsuko's and waved to Naika as she made her way into the fun. At least the benefit of being on the Empire's Homeworld was that people unfamiliar with Norians would just assume she was one of the rarely seen Xiulurians, if they had not noticed her on the stage. She had a shot!

"There was so much to go into this I feel a cruiser lighter now that it's in full-swing."
She admitted to Katsuko, not that she could or would hide that from her.

Calandri was interested in the traditions of the people, she had heard about them but never got chance to actually partake, celebrating her own traditions as well. She walked into the Pavilion and was amazed by everything going on, the smells and sights were amazing. She was a little out of place in this area, but hoped she wasn't going to be asked to leave, her tall frame made it more obvious she was different. She had a dress that was obviously hand-made, the navy fabric looked a little crude and frayed, liked it had been warn many holidays, no sleaves as her four furry arms were on full show to everyone. Her face was even more interesting than the outfit, she had painted it, using a mirror to make sure it was right, her face now covered in intricate designs of trees, flowers, and bones, her horns as well, painted up white.

As she walked though the pavilion she noticed people stare but she bowed and smiled, not really speaking a word to them unless someone asked about her outfit, as she talked and joked with people around she felt more at ease that people would be more accepting of the outfit and what it represented for her. She smiled and sat down where she could, enjoying a warming drink, when people with younger kids came up "excuse me miss, my children were wondering what you are dressed as."

Calandri looked up from her cup with a smile as she was surprised someone was interested, even if it was some children as she smiled to the parent and looked around and saw other people that had pause to look over to her, with more of a why would you ask someone that. She didn't like that look as she nodded, and placed her drink on the side as she knelt down "Well you see young ones, my species comes from far far away, we don't celebrate this holiday like you do, but we have something similar, we call it the night of the endless hunt, or Hildros." She breathed as she looked around with a smirk "I am dressed up as a goddess, Nio, my goddess of the hunt and also seasons of my home, we believe it is her, hunting the unseen prey." She stood up and bowed to the children "the longest night is her catching one and the feast starting in the heavens, the gods deciding to party instead of giving the world light." The kids seemed excited and some of the others around also had stopped their conversations to listen to her as she looks around and then grinned with an idea "you could be some of the other gods and goddess if you want."

The children nod as Calandri looked to the mother for permission before she got some flowers and made some flower crowns for the children "okay then, you can be Orw, Jali and Foz." She handed the flower crown to the children as she said who they were "Orw, the goddess of knowledge, Jali, the God of animals and Foz, the goddess of Wisdom." She smiled, these weren't the full names of the gods, she doubted anyone would be interested in them as she picked up her drink and left, towards the stage, wanting to listen to the songs and understand more of what this holiday was for the people here, moving past different species also made her a little less nervous as well.

Ice Skating Rink

It had been quite a long time since Sayako and Tachiko had last seen one another in person. With Tachiko on the Resurgence and Sayako on the Kōun, neither was generally on leave at the same time. It was only Tachiko's transfer back to the Fifth Expeditionary Fleet that had made the reunion possible. The pair giggled as the skated together around the perimeter– both inhumanly gracefully, the trained movements of the toned Nekovalkyrja martial artist and the precise, perfect ones of the advanced android evident even in simple, slow laps. It was if a pair of sisters reunited, although it seemed perhaps to the filially-aware Yamataian eye that it was Sayako in the role of elder sister, despite Tachiko having been her owner and inadvertent creator before Sayako became self-aware and made a free being, not to mention the ranking officer between them. And, considering how guarded and formal either of them could be, for anyone that knew them to have to seen them with those guards down and formalities dropped it might require a second look to make sure they were who they appeared to be.

"Ah~ No, he didn't! Really? Sayako-chan, I just... never saw you getting into that sort of situation!" The pair linked arms and spun together in a trojan orbit inside their mutual orbit around the rink, with Sayako's neck-lights flashing an alternating blue-pink chasing pattern as they laughed. Tachiko's bright pink skates, a custom made gift from the Motoyoshi Clan's gift exchange, bore rhinestones that glistened in the mood-lighting, but Sayako's were solid volumetric projections, tangible hard light- blades that stayed perfectly sharp and adapted their geometry in realtime- rainbow slices of suspended photons that carved their way across the ice as if they were the same durandium alloy as Tachiko's. Eventually, they came to a stop. Exiting the rink, Sayako simply transitioned to walking by turning off her projectors. Tachiko engaged her inertial system and floated above the ground instead. "Let's go get some snow cream!" It was never long before any Nekovalkyrja's mind turned to food, and the restauranteuse Tachiko was, hers was always even closer.

The two of them came across Jackson along their way, right after he'd been given his second helping. While Sayako's cold, alien demeanor didn't generally allow for changing her emotion so fluidly between happiness at her reunion versus empathy for the crying soldier, the graceful Motoyoshi princess on the other hand flashed him the sort of warm smile princesses are known for in romantic fantasy stories, so widely her soft brown eyes nearly disappeared.

Last edited:
Downtown Kyoto, Planet Yamatai
Motoyoshi-Igarashi Yue’s location
A large screen showed a music video of a Midnight Infinity’s song, and then there Yue appeared alongside Kaoru with the song going at a lower volume so they could hear her. Hey there! I am Azure of Midnight Infinity, and this is Midnight! And I’d like to say Happy Yule Everyone! I hope you enjoy it as I will be! Yue gave the viewers a cute smile and a curtsie in her cute frilly dress.

Yue remembered that recording as she looked up on the screen, dressed in a cute, warm outfit. She wished she could go without clothes, but with the weather as it was, the others loyal to the Motoyoshi clan told her that probably wasn’t a good idea, and that she could get sick. Not good, especially with the trip around the corner.

She also remembered the dress she wore in that recording too. She thought she looked cute in it, and hoped she really did. ok.. Aunt Akina is.. over there with aunt Katsuko in the Pavilion, I think Tachiko’s supposed to be here too, now..where is my darling goddess? oh, I think I see her! Yue thought and smiled as she moved over to Tachiko. She thought that Akina and Katsuko wanted to be alone with each other but she planned to greet them later. As she hurried, she spotted Miyako as well, and her mind thought about Miyako’s work, causing a unseen blush. Taaaachiiikoo-chaan! she called before she pelted the poor cute dear with a snowball, before she flew over towards her.

Last edited:
Jackson reached his hands out to accept the cup (of the best damn food ever made) from the... reindeer? He took a bite and looked up to the furry looking woman, and said, "Miss, you are a god send on this planet. God bless you, I love you." Adjusting himself to sit on his behind. he kept on eating, letting the feelings of hope over take him. That reindeer-woman lookin thing was a saint. All hope had been lost when his precocious ambrosia had been spilled, all had been quickly returned by that messenger of god. Finishing his bite and going to take another one, he noticed a pair of woman looking at him. One of them, whose skin was blue for some reason, was smiling at him. He looked back, and said, "You cant have any..." then chuckling and smiling back, "Just kidding, Happy yule."

Last edited:

Vec Wilson​

Today Vec did something he rarely did. He visited Yamatai. Sure, he’d lived there for a good long time during med school, but even then, Yamatai felt like a distant presence. He had been a Star Army soldier for nearly two decades, but even now, he didn’t truly feel like part of Yamatai. Leave for him generally meant traveling to some less settled world to go backpacking. This time why not do a little urban exploring in the capital? Dressed in an ancient field jacket he’d managed to mostly get ID-SOL blood out of, Vec stood debating whether he should get a hot drink or alcohol. A pop-up bar selling hot toddies caught his attention. The best of both worlds. As he made his way over, he caught sight of the Resurgence’s Consular in killer heels swaying her way over to some Norian. He decided to let her do her thing. She didn’t look like she wanted to be running into her boss.

Pierre Ruike​

A thick winter sweater, a pair of freshly visited parents, and an absurdly large tankard of Hummingbird Pilsner had Pierre’s mood absolutely soaring. They made their way through the crowd wondering if a pair of antlers they hadn’t been so diligent about shaving down would count as a reindeer “costume.” The Chui was just about to find an event staffer to ask them when they caught sight of a pale-haired woman holding a staring contest with a child. Pierre sidled up beside the taller woman as the child scampered off. “Hey, soldier,” they said, “I think it’s about time you let me buy you that drink.” They lifted their own beer and took a swig.
@hyralt

Saga Lindqvist​

Beyond a brief visit at the beginning of her exchange Saga hadn’t ever been to Yamatai, she definitely hadn’t had time to explore. While standing in line for cocoa, she’d managed to befriend, or maybe be adopted by a tall, pretty girl named Nas. She was another Nepleslian but a pilot with the Star Army. For better or worse, she found herself caught up by the girl’s infectious smile as they wandered looking at the displays and decorations. Saga almost let out a smile of her own. At some point, she’d let Nas talk her into ice skates and her near smile was quickly replaced by a look of pure focus. Some might have called it a death glare, but it was simply the marine trying her damndest not to fall and definitely shaming her Kuznyetski heritage. Nasrin looked just as awkward as she must have, but her ever-present smile had somehow grown wider.

Matsumoto Fuyuko​

Sometimes Matsumoto Fuyuko Air Boss on the fucking YSS Battle of Aynee Capital City liked to pretend she was still Fu-Chan the catapult officer. There was a certain quiet to being a nobody. Going to a Motoyoshi sponsored event might not have been the best plan for that, but here she was. She wandered the festival, maintaining a solid buzz as she sampled her way through various micro-distilled spirits from across the sector. Eventually, she made her way toward the stage, finding a spot next to an unfamiliar, four-armed alien.

As soon as Kari's eyes fell upon Pierre, a feeling she couldn't name fluttered inside her. Holding up a hand to silence them, she looked away and ran a quick diagnostic. "Hold on, Pierre, I think I may suddenly be sick."

The diagnostic revealed that she had elevated heart and respiratory rates, and that her capillaries were constricting and dilating through different parts of her body to divert blood away from her extremities. She was clearly having some strong physiological response to Pierre's presence. It felt like excitement, but almost to the point of fight or flight. Taking a deep breath, she tried to calm herself before turning back to smile at them.

"I'm sorry, I think I'm just very excited to see you," as soon as she said it, she noticed that they were wearing the green sweater that the Empress had sent them. Naturally, her eyes turned to the red sweater she was wearing. "I agree, you will buy me that beer momentarily. First, let me thank you for the sweater you gave me. It is very practical, but not something I would have thought to get for myself. I had intended to give you a gift, but I wasn't expecting to run into you here."

Thinking quickly, Kari grabbed a snow cream from the stand and held it out towards them. "You will take this snow cream. There is a high likelihood it was one of the ones I made. I will have a better gift for you next time we meet."

Talking to the Azalea’s medic never failed to put a smile on Pierre’s face. This flustered side of her was incredibly cute as well. “Don’t worry don’t worry,” Pierre said, hands suddenly full with a snow cream as well as their beer, “I was in town visiting family, running into you is gift enough.” Alternating between sips of beer and licks of snow cream, they said, “If your shift’s over, I’m happy to kidnap you for the night, if not, want me to stick around and help out?”

Kari snapped her head to one side and for a moment it looked like she might inflict something awful on her fellow volunteer. The cashier, who had so recently served the young man who had spilled his snow cream and been mobbed by women rushing to help, looked up at Kari with fear in her eyes.

"I need to go," Kari told her forcefully, looking like she was barely holding back her anger. "Will you be okay by yourself?"

The cashier nodded quickly, clearly hoping to get out of the conversation without bloodshed. Kari nodded to Pierre in turn. "It seems my shift is over. Lead me to the beer."

Pierre stood for a moment considering, before tipping back their oversized tankard and fully draining it. They dropped it off at the booth and offered a now empty hand. "This way, Miss Sunde," they said ready to lead her back to the Tokyo Brewing booth.

Without a second thought, Kari reached out her hand and interlocked her fingers with Pierre's. Immediately, she felt her face become extremely warm despite the cold weather and occasional flurries of snow. Something in her brain reminded her that it was polite to keep the conversation going, but the main thread of her digital mind entered into a crash loop that was becoming increasingly familiar as she spent more time with Pierre.

Unaware of the passage of time and space around her, Kari looked up and suddenly found herself standing in front of the Tokyo Brewing booth. Looking up at the sign, she tried desperately to process it and say something interesting. "Do they make beer here?"

"Oh," Kari replied dumbly. She felt like she knew this, once upon a time, but something was keeping her from thinking it through. This had the effect of making everything seem new and full of wonder, though she couldn't help but feel a little embarrassed at how vapid she must seem to Pierre. Surely they would think she was poor company if she couldn't think of something more interesting to say. But nothing came to mind. Feeling panic start to set in, she blurted out the first thing that came to her mind. "Only if you come with me."

A smile made creases at the corners of their eyes. "I've still gotta buy you a beer," Pierre said as they walked around to the bar.
After hopping up on a bar stool, they flagged down a bartender, "Can I get two large mugs of... uh," they checked the menu, "the Leviathan Dark."

While waiting for their drinks to arrive, Pierre turned to the medic, "So, how'd you end up volunteering at the festival?"

The snowball didn't impact Tachiko. Instead, Sayako's sensors detected it, and she intercepted the slushy projectile with a projected, solid volumetric shield in an instant. Her head snapped in Yue's direction and she gave a stare as cold as the snow that was thrown.

"Ah! Yue-chan! Sayako-chan, stand down, it's just Yue! Surely you remember her!" Tachiko put her hand on the Consort android's shoulder, then waved to Yue with her other. "You know how Sayako-chan can be. It's all right, everyone!" Tachiko tugged at Sayako's fleece sweater, something the android didn't need but wore anyway to fit in among the shivering biologicals. "Let's get that snow cream!" She bowed politely to Jackson, with another of her winning smiles, then again to Miyako. "Come on," Tachiko announced to both Yue and Sayako afterwards, "I want to try it!"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back