Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

RP: YSS Confidence [YSS Confidence] Arrival

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zakalwe

Inactive Member
Arild walked in through the airlock slowly. So this was his new ship, the YSS Confidence. The name was ironic to him, 'confidence'. Confidence in what? That he wouldn't loose this ship like the last one? That he wouldn't ruin it like this one? Confidence in ... anything? He'd lost most of his. For one thing this ship was a lot smaller. He laughed. Oh yes, a lot smaller. Whereas the Destiny had been 24km long, this ship was only 300m, not small, but certainly a few dozen rungs down the ladder. Perhaps they didn't have much 'Confidence' in him. He laughed emptily.

"AI?" He asked the air.

"Yes sir?" The rather flat voice responded.

"I'm Taisa Arild Bard, your new captain. I'm going to be in the lounge, if you can tell the first fifty or so crew men to arrive to meet me there. Should be a good place to meet." He said, his voice tired and worn.

"Yes Taisa."

He missed the Destiny's AI. He'd had a real personality, not this flat home-grown ordinary one. What he wouldn't give for one of the Destiny's pranks around now. Replacing the water in his shower with lemonade didn't seem nearly as bad in hindsight.

He walked down the hall, his back slightly hunched as if buckling under some unseen weight. He made his way to the nearest lounge, and sat heavily in one of the comfortable chairs. He sunk into it, feeling all of his years, no matter how young his body was. Too much had happaned recently, first that dreadfull message, and then loosing his ship. Arild felt battered, physicaly and spiritualy.

He lent over and undid his bag, taking out a bottle of whisky and a glass. He filled the glass and downed it, and repeated the practice. Feeling a little better he took out an electronic pad and began looking over what was with the Empire. It wasn't good.

He put down the pad and simply looked into the air, thoughts flooding through his head, and a deep nagging feeling in his chest.

After her rather quick tour of the YSS (Now NSS) Destiny's Shuttle Bay, Jae entered the corridors of the YSS Confidence with a bit of trepidation, wondering if she'd be turned back as quickly as she had before. Here, however, it was obvious the ship was manned by Star Army personnel, and there would be no mutiny that resulted in another exceedingly short tour of duty.

After beign informed by the AI to meet the Captain in the lounge, she headed off in that direction, having taken the time between changing ships to familiarize herself with this one's layout.

As the doors slid aside, Chui Jae Nanasen stepped into the Lounge with her usual cocky grin, and glanced around for her CO, Taisa Bard.

Mizuho sat quietly in the shuttle, scribbling away in one of myriad notebooks that she constantly kept about her. The airlock had opened several minutes ago, Arild had left, Mizuho had sat there still, scratching out words, scribbling down more, almost entranced, until...

"...goddamnit!"

Her pen ran out of ink. And, in a moment of frustration, she snapped the writing utensil, flung it haphazardly to the side (ignored the indignant cry of the shuttle pilot as it struck him squarely in the back of the head), and rose to her feet, closing the notebook with a whoosh of paper.

And she stepped through the airlock.

"Welcome, Mizu.."

"Confidence?" She cut off the AI rather abruptly.

"Yes, Chusa?"

"I need a new pen. Where might I find one?"

"We do not have pens on this ship, they are out..."

"You know, Confidence, it wouldnt be too hard to erase you. What were you saying before?"

"...Bard-Taisa requested that all crew join him in the lounge."

"The lounge, you say? Thank you, Confidence. And find me a pen."

She strode dutifully in the direction she assumed the lounge would be in. Never had she been on a Mersina class ship before, but its layout was not overly confusing. She found the lounge, and, still dressed in the civilian garb she had refused to change for uniform, entered with a slightly bemused smile.

Arild jerked his attention back into the room as Mizuho and Jae came in. He looked more tired than ever.

"Mizuho, it is good to see you." He held up a hand in gretting, "And you I believe are Chui Jae Nanasen. I recognise you from your profile, our new head of inteligance. Shame you weren't in action when the riot came eh? Could have given me a heads up." Arild laughed without humour, "Come, sit down." He jestured at the chairs next to him.

"Good day, Arild. You dont look as well as you did when we met." Mizuho sat then, looking over the jaded expression. She knew it well enough. She had seen her own visage so contorted many a time in the past.

"Confidence tells me pens are outdated. Confidence also tells me you wished for the crew to meet you here, so I now must ask what you wished to speak of."

Her attention was no longer on the careworn features of her commander, though, but rather on the bottle and the empty glass (which, by the scent of the room, had seen very recent use). Perhaps serving under Arild would be as enjoyable as commanding her own ship had, if had so few reservations about alcohol on duty, and had not yet reprimanded her for her lack of uniform. And the fact that she still hadnt asked for a replacement sidearm.

And, the fact that she didnt address him as Taisa.

Oh sure, the ship he gets assigned to decides to riot and mutiny right AFTER he decided to go on a shopping spree at the clothing stores....at least thats what Kenda was thinking when he stepped off one of the various shuttles that was ferrying SAY personnel from the neplisian colony ship. The duffel bag at his side was a bit heavier than the one he had carried onto the Destiny due to the extra clothing there. As he stepped off the shuttle, and started his way into the corridors, his eyes snapped upward, as was habit when the AI spoke...he knew it wasn't exactly above him, but it always sounded like a voice from some primitive diety when it popped in like that, no matter the ship.
"Welcome Kenda Nall, Taisa Bard would like to meet with all crew members in the lounge"

Kenda merely gave a grunt of acknowledgement, and shifted the duffel to his other shoulder, and started down the hall, heavy foot treads beating out a nice tempo on the floor...damn mutineers. He soon arrived in the lounge, and found himself a seat near one of the walls, setting his duffel in the seat next to him, and folding his hands to wait, watching the others trail in after him after a quick glance over the ones that had already arrived.

Leiko nodded, her grin wavering slightly as she spoke, "The Riots were a little out of my sphere of influence at the time. I had just stepped off the shuttle and onto the deck when the MP's turned me around and sent me back to Yamatai."

She waited for the Chusa to sit first, bowing her head in respect to Mizuho before turnign her attention to the room around her.

Henako walked through the door. "Hello?" He had managed to get out of the Destiny in one peace and was now on the Confidence, "I hope this place is good." Henako though to himself. "Where is everyone." Henako carried on walking down the corridor. "AI?"

"Confidence is an idiot. Pens are essential; you can't get your thoughts down with an electronic stylus or by dictation. If she doesn't get one, I'll have a word with her. And time hasn't been particularly kind on me." Arild smiled weakly, he turned to Jae, it was so confusing when people where talking to him at the same time, "I understand, I don't hold it against you certainly. Now who wants a drink? I have whisky, scotch and sake."

"I'll pass, thank you," she replied, as she watched the door, waiting for the others to make their way in.

Mizuho blinked quietly. A Star Army officer who agreed with her thoughts on the necessity of pens? Fascinating. It was a momentary fascination. "A drink, you say?" She brightened more than seemed possible at that thought. "I would love a shot of sake, please, Arild." She spoke rather politely to him, which was quite unusual. Most people irritated her or offended her or ignored her. And she generally preferred the third of them.

"Everyone is in the nearest lounge. That is where Taisa Arild Bard ordered everyone to go." Confidence responded to Henako.

"Your loss," Arild told Jae, "And of course you can have a shot." Arild bent down and took out the bottle of Sake and a small cup from his bag, he didn't mind her not calling him by his rank, she was his commanding officer after all, and to be fair, he no longer gave as much importance to formality.

"Thanks you AI." Henako replied. She doesn't sound as nice as the Destiny's AI. Henako presumed he was close, as she had said the nearest lounge. HE carried on walking down the corridor until he heard voice. Henako knocked on the door where the voice had come from. "Hello, can I come in?" Henako wasn't to sure what to say, and he decided that this was a stupid first opening.

"Sure, more the merrier." Arild strove to remember who this person was as he handed the Sake and cup to Mizuho.

Henako opened the door and stepped through. "Jôtô Heisho Henako Kusaki reporting for duty." Henako noticed that there where four people in the room, they all looked fairly nice at first look. "Am I in the right place?" Henako lowered his bag down from his shoulder and placed t next to his feet on the floor.

Mizuho inclined her head slightly as she accepted the shot. "...thank you." It vanished in short order, and she glanced towards the ceiling temporarily. "How old is this...?" The question was the first thing which came to her mind as she sampled that liquor. The second thing that came to her mind was the confusion of the new arrival - one she had never actually met. "Henako is it? You are in the right place unless Arild is engineering some master plan to humiliate us all." She smiled. "And that would really be very amusing." She looked about quickly at the uniformed people around her, wondering how they tolerated such clothing.

Arild cursed, he wished he had engineered a plan to humiliate them all "I don't know, a few years? I forget, cost a bit." He looked blank for a moment, "Join us Henako, we're just collecting here." He said, in his tired but not unfriendly voice.
"Thanks you. I'm sorry I don't know who any of you are, apart from Taisa Aril Bard. Nice to meet you Sir." Henako felt slightly stupid, he had no idea who these people where, and he had been on the Destiny with them.

She quirked a brow with a laugh. "Years? That explains a lot." Mizuho set the shotglass down with a soft 'clink', turned her head towards Henako. "Well, Henako, I am Mizuho. I am Chusa, but it would be wise of you not to address me as such." There was a grimness to her voice that had not been there a moment before, and that vanished a moment later as she burst out laughing. "Welcome to the Confidence, where we have none!"

"Likewise," Arild inclined his head, "Mizuho here kept quiet, and Jae is new."

He laughed at Mizuho's joke, so much like his own monologue earlier.

"Way to inspire Conf- oh, wait," Jae added, grinning.

"Well it is nice to meet you all." Henako moved further into the room, placing his bag down on the floor next to the chair, he outstretched his hand towards Arild's, and then the other's in turn. "So how many of us are there then?" Henako wasn't to sure what they had been talking about before, but didn't want it to go silent.

Arild quickly filled up another glass with Sake, and put it in Henako's outstretched hand. "I don't know quite yet, more people are being assigned." He pured himself a glass and downed it.

"Oh.......thanks." Henako liked Sake, but that only made him think of Leoni. Downing it quickly and placing it back where Arild had picked it up from. "Can I take a seat?"

"I said that didn't I? I didn't? Well do so." Arild said smiling, he found the new man amusing but didn't know why.

"Thanks.â€

Carlos had left the conference a bit early, having the thought to head to the medbay and check it over. Back on the Destiny he'd hardly had a chance to get a look at the medical accomidations before the whole place was swept out for the Nepleslians.

He strode into the med bay and shoved his hands into his pockets, surveying his surroundings. This was where he'd work from now on.

The medical bay looked pretty spartan, primarily five beds and a bunch of cabinents on the walls of the rectangular room. There was one entrance, and nothing on the blank walls, giving the room a rather depressing feel.

Henako stood up slowly; Carlos had just left the room. He was the only person he knew. "Wait Carlos." He hadn't heard, Henako stretched. He was a little tired, and his muscles hurt. He walked slowly towards the door, picking his bad up as he moved of. As he reached the door he realised he still had the glass in his hand, quickly placing it back in the table and moving out of the room, leaving the other's behind.

Henako reached the door of the medy bay. He had known Carlos was a medic for a while now. Henako knocked on the door three times. "Carlos you in there." Henako didn't wait for a response, he stepped through the door way pushing the door in front of him. "Nice room. So this is all yours? I like it. You ok?" Henako looked around, it was that great, but he couldn't say otherwise. He walked over to one of the five beds and sat down continuing his look around.

After leaving the conference, Masako hauled her duffle bags into the corridor with a grunt. "Yare, yare," she muttered as she looked around the corridor. Sighing tiredly, the young neko took a step one way only to stop and turn around the other direction.

She hated to admit it, but she was lost now. "Excuse me, Confidence? Where would my room be located," she asked the ship's AI.

"Oh, hey. Yeah...I'm fine. Just a little bit overwhelmed by my duties, y'know?" Carlos sat down on the bed next to Henako, cracking his knuckles and sighing.

"I dunno if I'm ready for this, man..."

Henako watched Calros sit down. "There is nothing to worry about, we are doing the same mission as we did on the Destiny, just in a smaller ship." Henako smiled, he didn't want to admit that he was nervous as well, he liked hepling people. "What have you got to be worried about, we have a really good crew, with experianced people in it. Now you have had riot experiance." Henako laughed. "You even got a medal dude. Nice one."

Henako stood up walked over to one of the cupboards, as he opened it a small bandage fell out, "Ah the usual stuff. So do you know where our rooms are?"

Kenda stepped out of the conference room after the captain's little pep talk...that was happening too often recently as well...and out into the hall, bag once more at his side as he walked. After a while, he cast his head back and asked the AI where his room was located. Giving a nod at the directions, he followed them, and was soon setting upon the task of unpacking yet again.

After following directions from Confidence to one of the many crew quarters in the habitation block, Masako's fatigue was now starting to really get to her. Yawning quietly, the young neko chose one of the bottom beds and sat down with her bags just dropped to the floor. "Can't sleep...must unpack," she mumbled to herself as she unzipped the larger of the two bags. With a little bit of force, the young woman began to pull out four large down-feather pillows that had been surrounding and protecting a hard viola case. Sliding her viola case under her bed and throwing the pillows in their appropriate places, the neko then pulled out her dress uniform.

Taking her time to smooth out a few wrinkles, she headed towards the wardrobe to hang it up. The rest of the unpacking only took a few more minutes with her other uniforms going in the wardrobe and the rest of her things going into one of the two dressers, though only taking a couple of drawers in all. At that point, she could care less if she slept in the current uniform she was wearing. Sliding off her boots and hanging her belt off the corner of a bed-side table, she fell back into the multitude of soft pillows and was out like a light. A cute purr of content coming out of her throat.

Seekrin took her first steps onto the YSS Confidence except her duffel bag got caught up in her feet. So instead she stumbled onto the Confidence much to her embarrassment. Looking around the little Fenyaro was still amazed by her surroundings even if this wasn't the Destiny there was still a lot of exploring she could do. Violet eyes were filled with excitement at the chance for a new adventure. Shrugging her heavy duffel bag up higher on her shoulder she wandered around a bit. "Ah...err Confidence? Where am I supposed to go exactlyâ€

Taisa Bard came over the intercom, to speak to the crew. "In a little bit, we'll be headed over to a nearby planetary system to make first contact. It's nto the one we were originally going to handle--Fifth Expeditionary Fleet is apparently going to get it, I hear. Anyway, in the meantime get settled in and cozy. Nitô Heisho Talis will be making something to eat soon, so hang in there. That is all."

Seekrin's ears perked at the sound of the intercom coming on. First contact sounded interesting, it'd be fun to learn about other races in the universe. Maybe she could score some unique recipes. "Huh...?" She mouthed hearing her name. Jumping up in excitement her tail began waving ever so slightly from side to side. "eeeeek! I need to go start cooking! Ummm sorry sir, excuse me sir, I need to go sir...ah ummmm Bye!" She bowed her head respectfully then began dashing out of the lounge without looking back. Her duffel bag swung from her shoulder as she anxiously looked for the kitchen. Finding a terminal the over excited Fenyaro brought up a map figuring out where the galley was located and dashing off whizzing past a few crew members.

"eeek! AI please! Ummm How many am I cooking for exactly? and of those people how many have special dietary needs? Wait shoot umm is there anyway I can get a visual list on a monitor or something...wait I mean on a monitor in the kitchen!" Seekrin said aloud tongue tying herself with trying to be specific. She made it to the kitchen opening the door and dropping her duffel bag to the side. "wow...It's so...awesome!" She squeeled tossing on an apron and pulling up her hair. She had never got a chance to explore the Destiny's kitchen but this ship's suited her just fine.She washed her hands carefully before throwing on a clean pair of gloves. "Now AI where's that list? And is there anything specific I've been ordered to cook?" She looked around absolutely beaming.

"There are sixteen crew, none with any special needs that I know of," the EIES computer responded. "No specific dishes were requested." Everything seemed to be in order in the kitchen thus far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back