• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Rejected Submission Yuuko Howitzer Warhead

Status
Not open for further replies.
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Hm, the old fluff text doesn't really fit since the warhead is being watered down so far. 5-10km is obviously just pointless since at SARP speeds the explosion won't even have time to go off before it passes by the ship. As such I just changed the flavor text to:

'While there is a large explosion when detonated, much of the blast is focused into a tight explosively formed penetrater which can rapidly close the distance to the target.'

Generally a missile has to explode very close. At the distances you want, point defense is useless. With this distance, it gives point defense adequate time to intercept thus keeping things balances. 5-10 KM is still a long distance, just not super duper MAX range.

This is a huge reason why the NTSE is so exhausting to use.

Would this be any different if it were a single shot railgun?

Would it be any different if it was an RKV?

Or even just a one-shot laser weapon?

Does 5-10km distance for anything even make sense in space? Starships passing by each other at even slow speeds on SARP will still cover that distance in 3x10^-5 seconds. Any kind of explosion is pointless at that range because you've already either hit or missed your target a long time ago.

It would be treated the same as any other long-range weapon mounted on a missile, which is how I have treated this. Fundamentally, a missile is intended to explode very close to its target, as close as it can get. This is not intended to be a missile in the traditional sense, but a way to shove a giant gun in range to fire at the enemy without them being able to stop it all while your ship sits out of range.

This is a pretty clear intended way to avoid having to fight in the first place, instead just hiding while your missiles zoom around and do the shooting for you, which isn't what missiles are supposed to do.

I guess since this one has been controversial I'll lead the review but approval should involve two other Mods OR a Staff member. This way no one may claim that there is any bias involved as I am the minority of the approval.

A range is needed for the blast the missile is firing. I suggested 5-10 Kilometers. @Zack, is this a satisfactory range for the vision you have of this submission?

Can I have a submission review sheet completed for this submission? I'd like to go by the book for this and make sure that the DR rules are being followed as they are written.

Whoever wants to take this with Rizzo should be ready to do the checklist. Any takers?

This review is for: YH Warhead

[ ✔ ] 1. The destination URL should be a page in the appropriate namespace and titled lower_case_with_underscores
[ ✔ ] 2. The article is in the appropriate format and article template
[ ✔ ] 3. The article follows our wiki style guidelines, including: No forced line breaks, text after each section header, etc.
[ ✔ ] 4. The article is easily read and free of errors in spelling and grammar
[ ✔ ] 5. Links to other wiki articles are present as appropriate
[ ✔ ] 6. The article fits into the Star Army universe's space opera theme and technology levels
[ ✔ ] 7. Images in the article are hosted on Star Army's wiki and sourced responsibly (contact Wes privately if there's a concern)
[ ✔ ] 8. The article is original and doesn't contain copy-pasted content from other articles.
[ ❌ ] 9. The article complies with Star Army's rules in terms of damage ratings, speed limits, etc.
[ ✔ ] 10. The Faction Manager(s), if applicable, have posted approval for this article in this thread.

Good call, Zack. This makes everything much more legitimate. So:
A range is needed for the blast the missile is firing. I suggested 5-10 Kilometers. @Zack, is this a satisfactory range for the vision you have of this submission?

An EFP type projectile would keep traveling in space until it hits something. Can you link me to some guidelines on weapon ranges because I can’t seem to find any and this as is certainly matches up with what I see on other weapons in the setting.

In line with writers have no sense of scale 10km is covered by an object traveling at .45c in less than 0.0001 seconds. An explosion wouldn’t need have time to explode at that distance. That makes this a completely different weapon than intended, and the goal here is not to create an RKV style system. If I wanted that I’d just make a completely different submission.

As you have been told many, many, many times, @Zack, this section of the Submission Rules states that “it is not a valid argument to justify overpowered or questionable abilities on your submission by…pointing to an older submission, especially one of a different faction” - and I would strongly recommend that you to accept Rizzo’s offer, as there are no guidelines for a weapon’s area-of-effect save for whatever the reviewer deems sufficient.

I am very well aware that whatever it is spraying would continue traveling forever. Please justify in the article a reason why it will only Shoot 5 to 10 km

I fully agree with Rizzo's review of this submission, aside from one thing. I don't really feel that it fits the theme of the site in its current state. It takes attention away from the actions of players and more towards who has better detection equipment and can fire first. After that the battle is a moot point because the missile can fire off its weapon as far away as it likes (Until a range is added) and bypass point defense.

Edit: Perhaps past 5 or 10 kilometers the metal spray is too spread out to do any damage.

I’d like to request a response from @Wes at this point. NTSE mods don’t need to brigade a thread, and should be working with the submitter to get the article approved rather than repeating the same thought without considering the submission.

Okay this is ridiculous. I have done everything I can to reason with you and you're breaking my heart but I have to draw a line somewhere. The reason I volunteered for this role was to help ease Wes' workload. Since you wish to refuse all counsel that doesn't come from a man with too much to deal with his hands full with moving and having a baby I can only assume that this submission is too controversial for the setting, both not fitting the site theme and ant conforming to NTSE standards.

I move to reject this submission with prejudice. Are there four other moderators or admins who support this decision?

I support this decision, and you don't need other moderators to support you to be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back