• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Zairyo's Commissions (Original Thread)

Third time's the charm right

Relevant Links:

Star Army Gallery
DeviantArt page

Zairyo said:
Hello everyone, I'm a fan of Sci Fi, video games and all those things we tend to spend way too much time on. My biggest passion however is drawing, so as requested by Wes and by my personal interest I'm here to offer my skills to you guys.

If you want to see more please visit my Deviantart gallery here: http://zairyo.deviantart.com/

If you want to commission me please make sure you are willing to spend at least $15.00 and that you have a Paypal account.
Thanks for your time.

______aimg474.imageshack.us_img474_8144_samspritetestdf7.gif____________________________________________ aimg401.imageshack.us_img401_5431_hanakospritebt3.gif

This is aimed to those of you that don't have a credit card or paypal account (or any way to pay for digital content) but wish they could get a commission from me. As some of you know I have an Xbox 360, which means nothing Microsoft does is ever free, that goes with Xbox Live and Marketplace related content. The Star Army price for commissions remains the same, $15 for the commission and an extra $5 for the card option which brings it to $20. Those $20 can be paid with:

A- 1600 Microsoft Points
B- 3 months of Xbox live Gold subscription

I currently care more about the points than the subscription 'cause I only play online with friends (friends that I communicate with through IM 'cause I can't hear $#!T through the headset so good thing I only like co-op and not multiplayer crap)

There are sites that allow some people (those living in the US, Canada and forgot where else) to do some surveys and what not and get them for free, I really don't care how you get the points, only that they work. Amazon.com also sells them directly, by e-mailing you the code.

Krieg said:
Cipher said:
Y'mean Altairkri?

Probably me, I've been guilty of the super shiny latexy uniform thing in virtually every picture I've done. :roll:
I'm not saying it looks bad, Krieg, it's just that there's a part of my brain that knows these things are made of cloth, not rubber/plastic...and that part throws fits when it sees total conformity. And you're not the only one. Wes' current avatar has two different versions of Hanako and Yui, both versions with the same conformation issue. No offense, it's a matter of preference : ) And I checked back through your thread. You don't have latex shine on every uniform (I like your UOC renders!), mainly just the SAoY ones.

Anyway, that's why I am happy with Zairyo's version, with cloth conformity that's closer to realism. And Zai, the skirt shine on the first example is applicable for leather or some synthetics, so no problem there, though the cling is odd. And the body-stocking of the second reference is kind of shiny, but I've seen materials that have that sort of reflectivity, it's not latex-shiny. All good, realism center of my brain is pacified : )

Wow, Anselm's actually getting some character art, I'm so happy.

I know I'm third in line, but just wondering if I need to be doing any busy work for Zairyo.

afc08.deviantart.com_fs46_f_2009_204_a_5_a5319ceac70358576522dcfcde3055d8.png

So I finally was able to buy a copy of my own book (yea I didn't even had money for that) I'm really happy with the quality of the book. I seriously recommend anyone thinking of printing some sort of artbook, or a Role Playing Book with lots of illustrations to try Ka-Blam. There are no setup fees which is a plus.

I'm sorry the inside pictures look redish, I used the flash on the cover only. My camera drains the battery when I use the flash too often.

P.S. If you end up using Ka-Blam let them know Zairyo sent you.

That looks really nice Zairyo. I'll have to look into that company when I get Salient done and start going to art shows again.

Thank you all for the comments, I appreciate the support.

I have a little bit of info regarding some of the commissions I still owe some people here. As you probably know I've been through some economic problems (who hasn't actually) 'cause I lost my job back in January. I've been job hunting and I finally got what appeared to be a good one. How wrong was I, it's a good piece of shit. I'm currently annoyed and quite angry so I probably shouldn't be typing this (oh and tired 'cause I got back just an hour ago) So without getting into details this new job strips me of doing commissions during the week. And as it is sometimes during the weekend I have to take care of stuff around the house so when will I be able to draw? I'm going to have a chat with my boss if he shows up tomorrow, to see if I can get the same hours everyone else but idiotic me have. If I can't I will have to drop the job 'cause no way i can go on without drawing and keep my sanity.

P.S.

I work a lot harder doing commissions than working at this stupid job (I practically do nothing for like 6 hrs) but I get paid a lot more for doing nothing. Now that's what I call <sarcasm>fair</sarcasm>

I work a lot harder doing commissions than working at this stupid job (I practically do nothing for like 6 hrs) but I get paid a lot more for doing nothing. Now that's what I call <sarcasm>fair</sarcasm>
I suggest you raise your prices...raising them would either decrease your workload or get you more money for the same work (either way you benefit). I would be willing to pay $20 or $25 instead of the current $15 if you like, starting after you finish the five commissions already paid for. Just let me know. I like that you've kept your prices low for us, but it is also important to me that you are as happy with Star Army as we are with you.

I have a big menu, anything from $5 - $100 but I tend to get requests for $30 commissions. Which take quite some time and honest to God I would charge $60 for them 'cause that's how hard I work on those but I would get less requests for them so it stinks. Personally I wish I could get lots of $10 commissions like some DA artists get. Since they are pencil sketches they can be done pretty quick so I could get more work done and more money than working my ass off on full color pics that require

sketch
approval
inks
base colors
shading
highlights
touch ups

It's a lot of work and takes a lot of time. Funny enough that's the same process with Star Army characters. (Except I don't have to work on a Background) You saw with the previous batch that I didn't take too long drawing them (even though they were inked) but the colored version took a while. It's nobody's fault but my own. I should have developed an automatic style (you know like how Adam Hughes uses to draw his females, they all look alike but it doesn't take him that long to get a very nice looking illustration) Btw I'm not comparing my skill with the great Adam Hughes, I'm just using his method as an example.

One week later and I still hate my job. (for those that don't know which job, it's a job I got at a craptacular local library)

Kim said:
Here's hoping that things pan out for you, Zairyo!

Thanks. I just spit that job good bye. Now I'm back to my old job at the museum so it's all fine. Once again I work Saturdays which means I have Mondays off (and that is AWESOME 'cause I get off early on Saturdays)

So an advice to everyone that could be in a similar situation, now or in the future. You should always try to be a good employee, would suck if you get a stain on your record thanks to some assholes that pissed you off way too much. Also don't take it from anyone, nobody has the right to make you feel uncomfortable, and most importantly, don't start a family if you can barely sustain yourself. I might have had to stay in that place if I had a family to think about.

I apologize for the delays but I promise you I am working on the commissions, just that the lack of sleep has its toll.

Oh my, I elicited an immediate response! Just haven't heard from you in a while is all. Hope everything has been going well.

Don't worry about making us wait, the final product is more than worth the anxiousness of waiting (not mention Wes is paying, hee :lol: ).

RPG-D RPGfix
Back