• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Rejected Submission 4th Elysian Empire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zack

Inactive Member
Submission Type: NPC group
Submission URL: https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=wip:faction:4th_elysian_celestial_empire

Faction: 4th Elysian Empire / USO
FM Approved Yet? Yes
Faction requires art? Yes

For Reviewers:
Contains Unapproved Sub-Articles? No
Contains New art? Yes
Previously Submitted? No

Notes:

One of the NPC groups that has shown up in the western starmap area during the course of the 188604 plot. I'm just now getting around to putting together what I have on them into wiki articles.

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Seems to me Jaegerman already listed specifics. Zack just doesn't want to do what he asks, or thinks it's arbitrary.

Zack wants to be able to get his stuff approved in pieces so he can develop the NPC faction over a long time frame and not get burnt out trying to do a massive write up all at once.

Zack would also love to be held to the same reasonable standards that everyone else is.

Zack is also calling arbitrary complaints as what they are. If you feel a number is too big, or that your number is a better number, then show your work. Explain how you arrived at that number. Much like every grade after 5th you only get points if you show your work.

Zack, the problem isn't that the number is too high. The problem is that you don't specify how many are natural born patricians.

Zack is also calling arbitrary complaints as what they are. If you feel a number is too big, or that your number is a better number, then show your work. Explain how you arrived at that number. Much like every grade after 5th you only get points if you show your work.
This is total BS. You know why? Because you wont tell us how many of your freakin' citizens are natural Patricians. You say 500million is 1/14 earth's population? Okay wow so what? Elysia went through 4 wars in less than a generation. They wouldn't have a population anywhere close to Earth's population. That should be obvious but apparently it needs to be spelled out. Unlike Yamatai they don't just print people. So their numbers would recover at a natural rate, it's very likely their population was below 5 billion.

Alex, I don't think the problem is me or my article here. Other NPC factions don't break out their population by race so it shouldn't be required here. I wanted to leave it nebulous since we can always go back in later to more fully develop that when planet and city articles start showing up.

Though since we are talking about it now, I'm partial to 1/100 being a partician. Or maybe 1/1000 if the 1% thing is too on the nose.

Syaoran's post is also a fantastic example of why showing the work is important. I mean is war a major cause of population loss? Survey says no. We can easily dismiss the numbers that follow because they are built off a faulty premise.

They frekain' sunk The Heavens in the first war and indiscriminately attacked civilians. Yes that is a -massive- cause for population loss. It literally even says "Most of the Elysians were exterminated here" If "Most were exterminated" does not mean massive population drop to you then you're just stupid.

Alex, I don't think the problem is me or my article here. Other NPC factions don't break out their population by race so it shouldn't be required here. I wanted to leave it nebulous since we can always go back in later to more fully develop that when planet and city articles start showing up.

The thing is that people want to know, and because of that, you need to address that. You can't just say "No, I don't want to, you're dumb and your point is dumb."

Syaoran's post is also a fantastic example of why showing the work is important. I mean is war a major cause of population loss? Survey says no. We can easily dismiss the numbers that follow because they are built off a faulty premise.
WHAT IN THE ACTUAL FUCK?

War is a huge cause of population loss. People want to know stuff, and you should address it without being toxic.

Take a look at IRL casualty rates vs actual population.

Then also consider that it's usually the men that get killed.

Then consider birth rates tend to go way up right after a war.

Yes people die in war, sometimes it's a whole lot of people, but compared to the size of nations it tends to be just a small fraction of the total population. It may be counter intuative but that's how it is IRL. That is before you factor in things like ST tech and printing new bodies.

You know, this could be fixed by just GODDAMN PUTTING IN THE ARTICLE HOW MUCH OF THE POPULATION MIGRATED THERE AND HOW MUCH OF IT IS ST COPIES.

And don't even try to justify having most of them being natural. Because if most Elysians were exterminated, then you can be damn sure that there aren't enough of them left for even a few million to go missing without someone noticing.

Take a look at IRL casualty rates vs actual population.

Then also consider that it's usually the men that get killed.

Then consider birth rates tend to go way up right after a war.

Yes people die in war, sometimes it's a whole lot of people, but compared to the size of nations it tends to be just a small fraction of the total population. It may be counter intuative but that's how it is IRL. That is before you factor in things like ST tech and printing new bodies.
Actually read the small little stubs about the Elysian wars or my post. IRL has absolutely 0 influence on this. Yamatai attacked -civilians- not just soldiers. And they literally destroyed the Elysian habitats that they were living in. They essentially went around and bombed most of the cities, the difference being that after the bombing the whole freakin city fell from the sky into the ground and was destroyed.

The Elysian Celestial Empire page even says these exact words
Elysian Celestial Empire Page said:
In YE 01 the newly formed Yamatai Star Empire stole the treasured Soul Transfer technology from the Elysians, as part of the ongoing First Elysian War which included the Elysians murdering Emperor Ketsurui Saito and Ketsurui Yuki before being blamed for a PNUgen created virus which killed 20 billion Geshrin in YE 08, and which led to the slaughter of almost all of the Elysians in their homes above Geshrintall and led to many of The Heavens falling from the sky.

Have you looked at IRL casualty rates when militaries attack civillians? It's still not that massive unless you're looking at propoganda numbers.

Consider that the elysian population recovered enough for the next three wars just fine.

Consider that the ability to put Elysian_Population_backup.zip on a hard drive and then bring everyone back when new bodies are ready may have something to do with that.

I can't keep supporting you in this Zack.

I'm afraid that if you succeed you'll act like this even more, and that if you fail, and this gets rejected you'll get pissy and leave.

I'd like to say the following:
I've been wanting an Elysian antagonistic faction in SARP for a long time.
ever since I came on the SARP, the Elysians have felt like the Romulan Empire of SARP. Except, they were already crushed by the time I arrived, which meant I couldn't see them acting haughty, sinister and self-righteous anymore.

So, at some point, I fiddled with ship designs. I was actually making Miharu, but some of the stuff I discarded felt organic enough and I went on a fantasy of "wouldn't it be cool if...". And there I built this idea of racial elysian supremacists whom had built up assets in secret to try to regain independence; I called them the "Malakh". However, I couldn't really piece together how they could again compete with something like Yamatai despite that... and there was also that I had no room in my plot's outline at the time.

The idea unfortunately fell to the wayside. I'm probably never going to have the time to dedicate to Elysian NPC antagonists.

Despite that, I was already very cheered to see this thread existed. But you've all gotten bogged down in a conversation about how it can't happen, rather than how it could happen.

So that's going to be my plea to the people in this thread. The process is likely malleable: how can this be empowered to happen?

This is already going on in my plot, and there is plenty of haughty elysian RP going on. The relationship between Raphael Castiel and is mom (Elysians, with mom wanting the estranged son to return to the family business of making elysians great again) is fairly central to what's going on out west right now.

Literally the only thing needed is approval of the wiki version of what's being used. I've already got ship art and ideas for the rest of the wiki articles but all of that moves at the speed of Zack.

Edit: have your elysian supremisists been used anywhere Fred? I'd love to give them a shout out somewhere if they have.

the Elysians have felt like the Romulan Empire of SARP.
So Nepleslians are Klingons, right? I couldn't resist.

And I think the effort to look for ways for it to occur might be getting downplayed by the accusations of "no one wants it to work". I'm fairly certain the thread has, until the most recent posts, been trying to figure out the information to MAKE it a viable method. But it's been devolved countless times.

If the questions Frost asked were answered in a way that he could find viable, then the idea could move forward. But as is, there's no effort being made to achieve this based on what I've read.

So Frost should re-pose his questions. Zack should then answer them. If Frost knows the answers, he can give the input and help develop the group into something that CAN be done. But the refusal for people to work with others is hindering this. Plain and simple.

About to go to bed, but I will be saying this just because it can be said quickly. Soul Transfer is Elysian technology. And so are the Seraphs. Even if you upgrade them they still originated from Elysian Tech. So yes, Elysian tech is involved in all this.

What you two need to start doing is firstly, talk -to- each other. That means Frost you need to start focusing on what's actually important that'll effect you. And Zack that means you need to stop talking around Frost. You two are going to get no where if there's no discourse of compromise.

And Zack 500 million as a population is fine. What isn't' fine is 500 million -Patricians-. We have asked you so many times for "How many Patricians are there" and you don't answer. And for the record, if they are using a 'made' body they are technically not Patrician. Patricians are a 'natural' race. Yes you can have them make bodies that are just like Patricians if you want, but a number of -natural- Patricians that left would be nice.

If you two can't start actually talking to each other you're both gonna be here forever and neither of you will likely get what you want, but you're both looking really childish right now that you can't even figure out how to hold a conversation between each other.

Does anyone have any specific changes or additions to the text of Zack's article they'd like to suggest? Hopefully from @FrostJaeger since he's the guy who matters right now. Because that's what should be happening, rather than long posts generally critiquing the article.

Wes has all but approved it. Say exactly what you think Zack should be adding/subtracting so he has solid points to work off of. Right now you're just giving him "that's not cool I don't like this!" posts, which isn't productive.

Given that the above quotes (emphasis mine) are quite accurate regarding the abysmal state of this thread, let's put an end to our roundabout bickering here and now, shall we?

@Zack, I'm quite aware that we rarely (if ever) see eye-to-eye on things, so let me make this clear:

The reason I requested so much content on the wiki in my previous posts is not because of any personal animosity I feel towards you - it's because I, as the Faction Manager of Elysia, want to improve upon the currently dreadful quality of Elysian articles, many of which are physically painful for me to read. I saw this as a launching point of that concept, as something that I could point to and say "that is the level of quality submissions for Elysia should have" when evaluating future submissions.

This thread has made it abundantly clear that such an approach just isn't tenable, given that it comes off as me being "arbitrary," and has also made me realize that it's really just laziness on my behalf - so you know what?

While looking up pre-existing "standards" for faction submissions (due to @Zack requesting such)...

[...]

Zack would also love to be held to the same reasonable standards that everyone else is.

[...]

...I stumbled across this section of the "Creating a Species" guide on the wiki. It suggests that the following should be submitted when initially "adding a new culture" to the setting...

The Wiki Article said:
  1. Start with art! Concept art is required.
  2. Initial Submissions (try to submit these at the same time):
    • Species biology and basic culture
      • Cultural quirks
    • Star System
      • Planet (species' homeworld)

...and, though I can't say I'm entirely pleased with their paucity, I can certainly say that I'd be willing to compromise with you, @Zack, over the question of "how much is enough" via these guidelines.

Seeing as how Elysia already has "concept artwork" (as evidenced here, for example) the first requirement has already been satisfied. Although the biology requirements haven't (in my opinion) really been satisfied, it's not something that I'm going to burden you with @Zack (as it's something I need to work on); regarding the species' culture and cultural quirks, the former is something that's already covered in the 4th Great Elysian Celestial Empire article. The section still could use more detail, in my opinion - but that, as stated above, is something I'm no longer going to bother pursuing, given how "arbitrary" comes across as.

What this means for you, @Zack, is that there are now only two other articles I'd like to see submitted - not approved, just submitted - before giving my approval of this concept:

• An article detailing the star system of Purgatory.
  • An article detailing the "new Elysian homeworld" mentioned in the same section.

For the question of how many Patricians is an "acceptable" amount, my response is to politely request the following:

@Zack, would you mind adding somewhere on the 4th Great Elysian Celestial Empire article - either in the infobox at the top of the page or in its own section - the demographics on the of the roughly 500 million individuals living on the aforementioned planet?

What I'm looking for in particular are figures that describe how many of those 500 million are Patricians, how many are ST clones, and how many are Plebeians or Caelisolans. 500 million Patricians is admittedly still too many of them in my opinion - but before I arbitrarily decide on a number (as I arrogantly did in my post), I'd like to like to see what @Zack does first with regards to the aforementioned demographics.

I'd like to say the following:
I've been wanting an Elysian antagonistic faction in SARP for a long time.
ever since I came on the SARP, the Elysians have felt like the Romulan Empire of SARP. Except, they were already crushed by the time I arrived, which meant I couldn't see them acting haughty, sinister and self-righteous anymore.

So, at some point, I fiddled with ship designs. I was actually making Miharu, but some of the stuff I discarded felt organic enough and I went on a fantasy of "wouldn't it be cool if...". And there I built this idea of racial elysian supremacists whom had built up assets in secret to try to regain independence; I called them the "Malakh". However, I couldn't really piece together how they could again compete with something like Yamatai despite that... and there was also that I had no room in my plot's outline at the time.

The idea unfortunately fell to the wayside. I'm probably never going to have the time to dedicate to Elysian NPC antagonists.

Despite that, I was already very cheered to see this thread existed. But you've all gotten bogged down in a conversation about how it can't happen, rather than how it could happen.

So that's going to be my plea to the people in this thread. The process is likely malleable: how can this be empowered to happen?

@Fred, I agree wholeheartedly with the idea of Elysia being the SARP equivalent of Romulans, which is why I plan for them to outfit their next generation of (warbird-shaped) starships with Quantum Anima - what I've unofficially decided their new term for Aether is - Singularities.

Similar to what @Zack said here, is there any mention of the Malakh on the wiki or in roleplay? They'd make a great terrorist organization or something similar for Elysia to devote a plot arc or two to fighting.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back