Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

OOC 4th Fleet OOC Thread

Re: [4th AASP] OOC Thread

CadetNewb said:
These will include advanced volumetric optics and targeting system, silencer, as well as an under-barrel mounted single shot mini-missile launcher.

A tactical nuclear mini missile launcher? Pleeeeease!

Seriously however how about things like an optional bi-pod, choice of under-barrel grenade launcher or shotgun, the option to fire rifle mounted grenades. Maybe also subsonic rounds to be used with the silencer... just some thoughts to increase tactical possibilities.

On a different note do our characters have to purchase the gun out of their possessed DA?

LitD said:
On a different note do our characters have to purchase the gun out of their possessed DA?
I noticed that the prices were in KS. Considering it is being made for NAM, I wondered if we could have DA prices there as well. But I imagine that everyone in the 4th Fleet will be issued one; at least I hope so. 8-)

Huh let's not make it another CoD gun guys. But bayonet attachment would be nice. Also Cadet I really have to ask. Doesn't it have some regular bullets to shoot? You know? Just a piece of metal making holes in people?

There are three remaining Daisys. They're all running away now. If you want to kill them, make a post with your pursuit and subsequent kill. Details always appreciated. Otherwise, follow your squad leader.

Looks like my trip will be going ahead (barring a quirk of our rather mercurial weather), so don't expect to see me during the JP. Sorry, guys.

Sigma said:
There are three remaining Daisys. They're all running away now. If you want to kill them, make a post with your pursuit and subsequent kill. Details always appreciated. Otherwise, follow your squad leader.

Right, we have three targets (2 if we assume that Volkov hit the one she was shooting at) how do we divide them so everybody is happy?

ShotJon said:
Huh let's not make it another CoD gun guys. But bayonet attachment would be nice.

I agree with a bayonet plug. The attachments I think are a bit necessary. A 12.7 round is a bit specialized so the various attachments will provide some tactical flexibility... at least I think so.

LitD said:
I agree with a bayonet plug. The attachments I think are a bit necessary. A 12.7 round is a bit specialized so the various attachments will provide some tactical flexibility... at least I think so.

Hey, we are Nepleslians. If it shoots big bullets it's enough :D

Welcome back.

I have just noticed that LitD is using his Imperial Guard to kidnap ponies. I wonder what sinister plans he has for the xenos scum.

Just a bit of an update and clarification for what I have in mind;

I'm planning to have the M203 style mini-missile launcher use the same DART and ARROW mini-missiles as your Hostile power armor uses, though the BOLT will likely be a bad idea due to something relatively unheard of in Nepleslia. I think it was 'Personal Safety' or something.

In addition to this, I'm also making a marginally effective silencer; it'll get rid of the muzzle flash completely, but still be quite loud due to the high velocity nature of the rounds. Also, since you guys asked, I'll also make an oldschool 'bigass slug' for it to shoot too, but in all honesty, it's nothing you'd want to use on a Mishhu, and is better left to target practice.

Oh, right - I'm messing around with the volumetric sights as well as a collapsing stock. As for the bayonet, I'm going to make a basic vibroblade that has a 'pressure activated' mode for those that don't want that thing constantly making noise - it won't start cutting through everything like they're all butter until a bit of pressure is applied. When I'm finished with these accessories, I'll put up the pictures of both the Vanilla and Snubby housing them to see what you guys think before going back again and working out the kinks.

I am not sure using PA-grade weapons is the way to go. You've seen how Wes is against PA level weapons being in the hands of mere infantry. ARROWs are ADR2.

We already have 40mm grenades, why can't we just use those? There's no need to reinvent the wheel, Newb.

See:

this and this

Sigma said:
I have just noticed that LitD is using his Imperial Guard to kidnap ponies. I wonder what sinister plans he has for the xenos scum.
We are going to love and tolerate the shit out of the galaxy!

Meh, I just found it amusing enough to replace my previous one. It was actually a toss up with this from here but Grimdark pony carried the day.
You can be surprised what sort of random crap you can find in the darker regions of the internet.

CadetNewb said:
I'm also making a marginally effective silencer; it'll get rid of the muzzle flash completely, but still be quite loud due to the high velocity nature of the rounds.
Thats why I suggested subsonic rounds as one of the types of ammunition available. Most of the stopping power would be retained while reducing the sound on firing to something that is actually difficult to hear.

I know this is going to sound dumb, but I've become a bit confused as to where Stan should be as of Sigma's latest post. I'd like to get some confirmation before I end up posting something foolish.

I'm under the impression that Ran and his group have joined up with the rest of the Cavaliers.

Well, the advancements I've made so far located right here.

I'm more or less tossing around ideas for an underbarreled launcher for this rifle right now, but in all honesty, I'm not sure where to take it. I'm trying to aim for something to give users something that'll give them a fighting chance against PA, but not something that's outright OP. And yes Sigma, just in case you may or may not have suspected, I don't like that rifle Uso made. I think it's simply Too powerful and capable. And to imagine Doc couldn't get his rather normal anti-material rifle approved while Uso could get this through.

Just plain ridiculous.

Anyways, since I'm worked up and annoyed now, I'll just keep on ranting - this is a gauss rifle. All the showstopping power of its rounds come from the velocity at which they travel, save for the HESH ammo. That's why programming it to fire the rounds at a subsonic velocity is, in my opinion, a very bad idea when using the I-SLAP or I-APE rounds - they will penetrate raw flesh, but just won't penetrate body armor. Yes, you can go ahead and use HESH rounds with a rifle utilizing modified programming for subsonic firing in conjunction with a silencer In Character, but no matter what, it's not going to be as effective against someone in hard plates.

And quite frankly, this rifle wasn't designed for dealing with street thugs and taking out your average trash. It's made to deal with the freaks - using it on anything else is both wasteful considering the expensive ammo it fires, and is also ungodly messy. You have to absolutely hate the janitor in order to use this.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back