• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at stararmy@gmail.com or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

OOC Black Knights/Byakuren Discussion

I thought I'd be okay with the both of them.

I was trying to reach Soresu, to ask if it was okay to truncate his last post a bit: as is, I can't mesh in Nimura whirling around in a test battlesuit in a volumetric testing range along with Ruri looking over her shoulder and talk as if she was oblivious to what they were up to. ~_~

For the moment, though, I feel like I can wait a bit. Some conversations between people can still progress, and it'll give Tom a chance to catch up. I know Rolf is headed to the ship... I just want to tie this in with the other people going there so I don't just have him roleplaying with himself or faceless NPC technicians.

I'm probably okay in general with roleplaying Nimura as long as she's being professional. Her touchy-feely side, though? Uncertain. I'm concerned that if I acted on it in ways beyond glossing over (because I did read the 44th, dangit!) that it would feel tacked on rather than genuine because I'm not in that 'new' part of her head. I lack that point of view. My Nimura is a lot less vulnerable, and would likely follow through more to take care of others than because of any personal need... and that's not what happened in the 44th. She dared open up, and kind of liked it.

It's the 'kind of liked it' part that I feel I might not emulate well. Although my Nimura is not as insensitive as before, and can relate with people more... that impression of stoic strength and efficient 'stick to what matters' is very divided from a near-adolescent exploring of closer relationships.

I can portray her here... but the truth is that I may not be able to use her anymore. That sense of uncertainty is part of the reason why Nimura is not coming along on this trip. I'm not against Nimura having character growth, even if I can't reconcile to it and keep using the character for the roles intended for her. If the choice I have is between roleplaying her badly, or giving her a less active R&D at home role... I'd rather pick the latter. It'll allow for more room for Ruri and Masako, so, it seems like an acceptable angle to take on this.

Suzume is a much simpler deal by comparison. Her nerd side is fairly easy to take in (I like to give helpful information and be valued for it), and what appears to be the outstanding behavior quirk is that she likes to use her affinity with computer to look at what's going on with other people; perhaps along with the satisfaction of seeing how they would really act without other people (or her) around. That's easy - it's actually a very ship avatar thing to do and even if Suzume's not one herself, Suzume is not a YSS Miharu sprite; she's a YSS Hoshi sprite. Amongst the Miharus, she's the closest thing Hinoto has to a biological sister. Somehow, the pieces there fit together very well for me.

Last edited:
If the near-adolescent exploring of closer relationships is very dividing, the stuff happening in the JP between Masako, Ruri, and Nimura might be traumatic :3c

The problem is that if I had handled Nimura, it wouldn't have happened. My Nimura wouldn't have opened up like that. My Nimura would have remained aloof even under duress. She'd have had granted Ruri sympathy, but not commitment or taken the pains to edge out of a comfort zone. That would never had given her any reason to open up to Masako either; Masako - before - had never valued her proficiency the way Tom or Nyton had. Nimura had practically no reason to give much of a damn about Masako.

But my Nimura also was a plot device more than a person. Nimura was very... elemental.

To Doshii, she was a person more than a plot device. She lost a lot of her 'force of nature' vibe in favor of being relatable.

And, to be honest, he did most of the fleshing out post-Melisson-screwed-with-her-mind... which was not something I really dwelled on. Meaning my mental image of Nimura is dated. Since I'm in general satisfied with what showing Doshii gave her during his plot, that's why relegating her to a more background role seems like the thing to do. It's really hard to deal with something which is familiar and yet very different in subtle but important ways. Because Nimura was a character that I had heavily invested in, the differences today feel crippling. I don't question Doshii's handling of the character so much as my ability (or interest) in carrying the torch.

It's not greatly different from one of you leaving the site for one year, seeing one of your characters adopted in an NPC role and then that character gets into a loving relationship with another PC character. Then you come back, but if you're to pick up the character at this point... wouldn't it be daunting? Is it really your character? Is it really what you need when you feel like roleplaying that character? It may not be upsetting, and you can be glad your character lived in the minds of others in the meantime, but there could be a very matter of fact yeah, this doesn't feel right for me thing to it as well.

Last edited:
It's because you take it so seriously that I respect you so much, Fred. There's some tinges of regret with this, but just tinges. I'm glad we respect each other, and recognize the style of the other.

That's why you're my mentor, sir.

Could've dropped me a line via a PM, Fred. ^^; I check SARP regularly throughout the day. If you need anything changed, either tell me here or tell me via a PM or what not. I changed the last portion of the post to her standing near the entrance.

Last edited:
I've got something for you if you poke your head in the ship. You won't be playing alone for long.

Hmmm, I could post Rolf getting on the concourse, but I wouldn't know how to describe the Asamoya, if Fred doesn't mind me just mind me vaguing my way in.

I'd just like it down for the record that Rolf should not be getting this kind of attention from the fairer sex of any species, let alone Neko.

I know some of you guys frequent the forums/plot on much higher frequency than others. I noticed.

I just want to remind everyone that I'm making a conscious effort to pace the plot for the sake of being as inclusive as possible. This does not stop me from making replies (i.e.: I have four groups progressing at difference paces, doing different things, and I help with thier narration); plot advancement, though, is another matter.

I'm hoping all of you are cool with the way things are progressing. From this point, though, it's kind of looking like downtime/socializing. We can carry on a bit, though it's been my experience that PCs will elbow-nudge for downtime-style roleplay if they want it... when it's given by GM, things usually quickly bog down. I mean, I'm fairly sure most of you didn't want to join into this plot to profit from the glorious roleplay involved in selecting your rooms on a ship. =P

So, right now, I'm at the stage when I'm letting you guys carry through with this... until I choose to fast-forward to 1400 hours that day, which was the appointed time for a sitrep and see how soon the ship can launch. I'll see about expediting this and carrying the plotline further when it'll seem appropriate (your input on that level can also help determine that).

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…