Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

OOC Conference Discussion

Gallant said:
Miki offered the Envoy his glass again and refolded her handkerchief deftly one-handed, swiftly tucking it away in her blazer pocket. Then she glanced up to the great, concave wall where the painting was displayed, dark eyes sparkling with distinguishable pride, and asked, “Actually, Envoy, would you like a demonstration? All of the walls are capable of holography, just like this one.”
If referring to someone by their role, it is usually lowercase (your mom, the professor, the commander). If referring to them by their title, it is uppercase (Mom, Professor Moriarty, Commander Shepherd).

Miki offered the Iroma [or Commonwealth] envoy his glass again [...] "Actually, Envoy, would you like a demonstration?"
The exception would be if the role/title was the person's name, which is sort of what made me double-take since the Envoy isn't the one being addressed or referred to there. And, with both the Abwehran and Iroma claiming the title in addition to the Freespacer, I think references should include the nation the referred-to envoy represents.

"And we have every right to believe that the NMX are a threat considering how they've dealt with our neighbor to the south,"
Not to mention the Abwheran are probably aware of how the Mishhuvurthyar exterminated the entire Sangriat race from the Ahrbeg system which is very close the Jaspis, despite the Sangriat not being involved with Yamatai or being threatening.

Actually, since the Abwehrans had barely had any contact with the Sangriat (if any at all) they probably don't know it was them exactly. But they probably know that a few species have been killed off.

Doshii, regarding the map, Nepleslia's maximum territory only went out to the 60 light year circle from Yamatai. So Yamatai's shipping lane to the KMS is not in Nepleslian space and has never been Nepleslian space.

And Doshii, Yuumi really needs to learn to read maps, whether you use the old star map or the preferred Cluster Map Daichi is not NORTH

Daichi while north and west of KMS, its South and West of Yamatai and Nepleslia.

Speaking of parties, what do you think of the Yamataian military holding a little party sometime during the conference? It would be open to the diplomats and corporate bigwigs and would involve, food, drink, and starship tours.

Considering there is a war going on with the Yamataian people starving? I get the intent, but I think a party would be some what inappropriate considering the tone of these talks.

I think Gallant's idea has some merit, but up to this point Yamatai has considered its military technology to be top secret — only when the Neko started being constructed with DNA did those Neko stop dissolving at the drop of a genetic scan.

I think such tours, in general, are just out-of-character for Yamatai. They're boastful with actions, not wine-and-cheese affairs.

Giving a tour that shows our military power could be considered a boastful action in itself.

Love them or hate them, it's not often people get a chance to see behind the Zesuaium-armored curtain...

Why do it now?

Yamatai — specifically Yuumi — is trying to present a different face of Yamatai, one that shows it's growing up and getting serious about working with other people, not intimidating them.

It displays trust and mutual respect to invite them.

It's meant to show just how powerful and advanced and lethal Yamatai can be. That's not the image Yuumi is trying to craft with the others, and besides which, they already know Yamatai has very advanced technology.

The Iroma won't even reveal the location of their homeworld. We're not here to build the kind of trust that involves revealing deep secrets — we're working on just being OK with working and living next to each other.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back