• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Create Limitations for New Guys

Do you agree with these limits?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Wes

Founder & Admin
Staff Member
🌸 FM of Yamatai
🎖️ Game Master
🎨 Media Gallery
I've seen a lot of new guys show up recently and then imediately try to create massive "corporations" or species without any prior knowledge of the IC world and its balance.

I propose:
  • Any IC player corporation requires 2 players to RP in it.
  • Any IC player species requires 3 players to RP in it.
  • Players who have not participated in an IC plot cannot start with a rank higher than sergeant.
  • Player characters do not start with starships. 3,000KS total value of their posesssions is still the limit!
  • Players who have not participated in an IC plot cannot create (and definately not control) NPCs.

I agree with all of the above, save for two points:

1. An IC Player Corporation is a very broad category, from an important multi-user organization, to the original one-man salvage operation that the Yggdrasill once was. I think that having a very small one-person IC corporation is acceptable...a good rule of thumb would be that it has to lack any NPCs, which inhibits size greatly in itself.

Furthermore, the 2 person rule is easy to circumvent...just ask another newbie for help. I say that rather than just have a two person minimum, also have a minimum OOC participation requirement for starting an organization which will affect roleplay in any large capacity...perhaps three OOC months and at least some IC experience. After that, see if they have the knowledge of the RP needed to take on such a task.

I say this because I started trying to make a small organization, but couldn't do well until I RPed a bit as Yaichiro first and learned how the RP worked. After that, I was able to make it work, even as a small one person effort with no NPCs.

As such, the huge IC corporations should be turned down right off, and the smaller endeavors should be on a case-by-case basis, and both should have a minimum OOC/IC participation requirement.

I believe everything I've said should go for new species as well, except that you MUST have other people interested and perhaps even stricter requirements for OOC/IC log time.

Also, though you haven't put it in here, designing ships should not need multiple people to do, but WOULD require at least a fair amount of OOC log time, long enough to view the technology precidents of the RP. Exceptions can be made for really good submissions.

2. Player Characters not starting with starships, while it should be TIGHTLY regulated, should not be completely excluded. I think it would depend on the reasoning for the ship, the application quality itself, and technical knowledge of the vessel shown, as well as the ship's type and potential use. Nothing better than a Vampire or a Bellystabber should be owned from the start, and only for very good reasons. Again, case-by-case basis.

What's 'Sergeant' in the Star Army of Yamatai? Gunso? I don't recall seeing that x_x can you clarify that bit?

You might want to assign a board rank requirement of Ittô Hei to play a NH-29 Nekovalkyrja character. It'd make the yamataian and the nepleslian more attractive for the new player and insure that a new player making a nekovalkyrja character would probably have been around long enough to portray one responsibly and correctly.

Besides, you've broken the Santô Juni rule for samurai when Tiffany created Jo, so, I expect you'd break it again if a new player made a good enough character sheet submission anyways.

What exactly do you mean by 'IC player species'? Does that mean that we can't create an exotic alien race if we don't have the backing of another player? I'm not sure I like that, even though I understand the reason for putting the lid of early creations.

Getting more players to agree on one thing would promote interaction and exchange of opinions though.

The currency limit is often overlooked in order to make the setting more approachable by people whom come and want to have their ships. You've often permitted that before Wes ~ otherwise the Yggdrasil would not exist. How would you treat new players wanting ships Wes? Would you dare tell them 'no'? I'm all for agreeing to this, but pessimistic as to the implementation.

I wholly agree with the last point. Let the member actually get involved in the community and the roleplay before flexing his muscles.

Sergeant is "Heicho."

Fred said:
You might want to assign a board rank requirement of Ittô Hei to play a NH-29 Nekovalkyrja character. It'd make the yamataian and the nepleslian more attractive for the new player and insure that a new player making a Nekovalkyrja character would probably have been around long enough to portray one responsibly and correctly.

I dunno about this. The Ittô Hei rank is too quickly achieved. I mean, what would we be going for there anyway? "We need to make the Neps and Yamataians more attractive" -- we might start losing Nekovalkyrja this way, and they're the only ones who are technically allowed to fight, which mostly all players like to do.

It might, I suppose, make for good GM training. But I say we let people play Nekos if they want. It isn't like we've had a lot of them recently.

Erik said:
As such, the huge IC corporations should be turned down right off, and the smaller endeavors should be on a case-by-case basis, and both should have a minimum OOC/IC participation requirement.

I believe everything I've said should go for new species as well, except that you MUST have other people interested and perhaps even stricter requirements for OOC/IC log time.

I agree with this. Essentially, the idea seems to be this:

"If you're new, and the mods don't think you're very good, or you're not willing to start small, the mods are not going to let you do cool things until they think you're good enough to do them the way they should be done and you've proven you can operate stuff on a reasonable level."

So far, that would not have excluded any players from doing what they're doing, except for some of the newest people. Erik, the Yggdrasill would still be in your hands because you took the time to get used to the area before venturing off, and you put in the effort to make the ship sellable. At least, that's how it seems to me. And you don't abuse your power by doing crazy shit and plotting against all of Yamatai.

Again, it seems like Erik put in the work, that's why he has his ship. New players obviously could not have put in the work, and therefore aren't deserving. Does this make sense?

So in other words I've been a naughty boy and all the kids get their toys taken away =/ Well I certainly never intended that.

The problem is we get these new guys who come and create new races in the SARP (See: Ixari, Altinians, Thaxarians, Xylar, etc) and then abandon them and dump a very unfmailiar and possibly unwanted race on the GMs a few weeks/months later. I'm sick of that! They're big plot holes.

I think, in the vein of new races, let's just close the door entirely. Do we really need new races anyway?

If the problem is simply abandonment of races, like Wes says, then maybe there should be greater requirements on races? For example, you need __ many players willing to play a character of that race upon approval.

Or maybe a race has to exist and be active for __ months before it can become part a major part of SARP? Until it reaches that minimum activity period, it will simply be limited to 'encounter for a plotship' status instead of 'important establishing diplomatic relations stuff with Yamatai and Nepleslia' status.

I still want, as a GM, to be able to create my own races for the purpose of an exploration-dedicated plotship (well, after my current storyarc). If some of these races are afterward deemed playable, so much the better... but I mainly would want those to be NPCs and certainly wouldn't be making them to rival Yamatai (though if one develops significantly and gets a liking for the use of a villain race, well, I'd be all for it with Wes' encouragement *shrugs*).

The restrictions are for player races, though. They're not for GM-controlled "flavor" races.

To clean things up, I suggest Races that suddenly go inactive, and has not had a permament impact on a storyline yet, be just simply deleted and any references to them removed.

This would hinder races like the Sangriat, though. The Sangriat weren't all that bad - just not discovered by the Star Army of Yamatai.

Hmmmm....does that mean the Abwehrans can't be RP'd out until I get two more interested players? Then again, I don't plan on having anything like plotships yet, since the Abwehrans need time (or help) to better their technology and create the starships necessary for a plot ship.

As far as new species go, I'm all for it. But I'd think that said race should have a very in-depth background. Culture, government, history, appearance etc. before you were to implement it into the SARP. Basically, as much work as Erik put into the Yggdrasil, so should whomever put into their new race. Personally, I'm working on two different races (non-humanoid too!) but I don't even want to present them until I feel like every aspect of that race is covered.

Also, if you were to get it approved, I'd say one should start out his new race in another plot (with the GM's permission and supervision of course) in order to establish a feel for that race. So, in essence, it would start out as a "flavor" race, and perhaps snowball from there.

((Oh...and can I get a link to these Abwehrans? I've heard some about them, but can't seem to find any info.))

The problem isn't detail and quality. From what I've seen of SARP there have been many well planned races with highly detailed descriptions written up. SARP is basically a community of writers, after all. For example, on the first page of the Contributions and Improvements:

Liberiex Mechanicus
Sourcian
Kiljae'nhai'

And that's just the first page of that forum.

The problem isn't writing ability, but rather creators abandoning races. And leaving SARP to pick up the loose ends. Hence my earlier suggestion, that races have to exist for __ months before they can become a part of interstellar politics in SARP. Before then they would only be allowed 'Plotship encounter and minor RP' status, which will both give the race and the writer's dedication a test run. If the writer gives up we can simply cut it from SARP with hardly any loose ends attached as Fian suggested, as limiting them to minor RP stage will help with damage control.

-----

P.S. -- Utterly messy as it is, the site map is your friend.

https://stararmy.com/m/abwehran/index.htm

I'm currently in the works of creating HTML pages that can be fitted into the normal Star Army Website easily (ie: actually creating CCG pages for Abwehrans). The Abwehrans themselves are going to be a slow process of build-up (hopefully in character) before they can even become a minor power in the known universe.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back