• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

OOC D & D OOC

Now, here's where I get fuzzy. Do I make a disable device check like for any other trap to try and break it, or what?

Yeah, it's just disable device for most. I can't think of any off of the top of my head, but I'm sure there are some higher level magical traps that require some kind of spellcraft check or something of the sorts because they're so complicatingly magical.

Errr... about that last post Aendri made... does anyone else see the contradiction?

Denkou agrees with Aurelus to have everyone not move.

Then tells everyone to come over to where she is? I am perplexed. :|

That was very purposeful. She's paying attention to the trap, not the exact wording of what's being said behind her. Give her a break, she's a bit distracted! :P

Can one person give step-by-step instructions to another in a way that the skill points of the instructor can stand in for the doer's? This wouldn't work for physical skills, just knowledge ones, I know, but if Den told someone how to deactivate a trap, for example...you could use that person's DEX (there's a minimum DEX rating required for the Disarm, isn't there?) and Den's Disarm Trap rolls, couldn't you?

Wow. That's a stretch, Missing. xD

I mean, I get where you're coming from... but I think, with these traps in particular, it's more about intuition than actual knowledge. I mean, unless she manages to disable one and remembers everything she did step by step, she could very well be telling you how she thinks the trap might be disabled, but not necessarily exactly how it will be disabled without a doubt. =/

EDIT: Also, you said it yourself, physical skills wouldn't count. Dexterity is quite physical. Even if she tells you to 'carefully tug the cord, making sure not to touch the tile', that won't necessarily mean that you'll have the motor coordination required to do so.

Hm, that sounds about right, with the intuition angle. And, yeah, that's why I mentioned the Dexterity swap. I thought of that after I posted, but figured it was worth a shot anyway. It'd be like a bomb technician trying to talk someone through over the phone or something.

Another question, one that wasn't quite answered (answered the "how does neg-damage work, but not this): Can negative energy "damage" be regenerated over time, since there's no physical damage and pain/energy loss can fade or be recovered?

No, you can't give instructions

And yes, negative energy can be regenerated the EXACT same way that any other type of damage is regenerated, lots of sleep and rest :D

Just to clarify, Missing, that means you can heal it just like any other damage. It's like the difference between lightning energy damage and fire energy damage. So long as it's not negative levels, you can heal it just like if they had been stabbed by a sword.

Healed in a "I give them their HP points back" way, yes, I understand...but how am I to go about that in-character? I'm hoping the water counts for something, because if I'm tired, out of breath, or lacking energy, last thing I need is a band-aid. Water or food helps with that, as well as rest.

That's what I'm asking if Gabe will accept the water (and maybe trail mix if needed) instead of a Mend Minor Wounds (in Sorri's case that would mean using a Use Healing Kit). After all, if all Negative Energy does is cause pain (which Sorri doesn't know yet and still doesn't know based on how Aurelus described it) and drain the victim of energy (which she does know), then that's all she can do to help them. If not, then it ceases to make sense and our party members are now short a good chunk of HP with no recourse.

*notes the water...ponders...remembers herbs...*

Well...I suppose there's tea that could be made from some powder...*ideas*...Gabriel, would an energizing additive to the water be good enough to recover their HP? In real life that would probably be the equivalent of an all-natural energy drink mix, but in-game it would a more primitive form, and likely more potent than sugar or caffeine given herbalism is all these people have for such things. I guess you could roll a Wisdom check, to see if she knows how to mix it correctly. A Heal check sounds like it'd apply more to using bandages, so it wouldn't apply here even though she would be 'healing' them with the tea. The modifier is the same for Sorri either way, lol, but it'd be good to know which was used for future reference. Also, if you want, you can count that as one use of the Healing Kit, since that does hold her herb supply too. Or maybe half a use? Whatever you decide, I leave that to you : )

Well, now, I seem to have talked through that problem myself. I'll just post this as-is so you guys can follow my reasoning : ) I would like a confirmation that the tea/herbal mix would be a reasonable way to restore their energy first before wasting a post (and some of her supply), though.

I don't know about using a healer kit, but things like Cure Light Wounds and other such standard healing spells can heal any kind of damage aside from negative levels. I think healing kits are only good for physical damage, not mental/spiritual.

Yeah...

Missing, I get since you're not that familiar with D&D some things might seem weird to you. On top of using herbs, like I said characters can take damage from the negative energy such as aches, cramps, wounds reopening, and other stuff that can be RPed to be healed. Now, if you google search D&D Healer's kit you'll see that the definition is a little different from how you're picturing it. You have the normal first-time D&D mentality that a Healer's kit simply heal's HP. While this is technically true it's not 100% accurate. A healer's kit simply gives you an additional bonus on your healing skill, and the masterwork kit isn't a canon item, I just doubled the bonus given by the kit and called it masterwork.

Anyways, the healing skill isn't entirely what it sounds like. Healing, as quoted from the book, is used "to keep a badly wounded friend from dying, to help others recover faster from wounds, to keep your friends from succumbing to poison, or to treat disease."

Under the Healing Skill you can do the following:
First Aid
Long Term Care
Treat Wound from [speed reducers]
Treat Poison
Treat Disease

The descriptions are as follows.

First Aid:
Save a character from dying. When a character has negative hitpoints they are alive, but unconscious, and will lose one hp per round (or longer depending on the circumstances). First aid stabilizes this person so they no longer lose hp.

Long-Term Care:
This means treating a person for a day or more. This is used to make a character recover hp twice the normal rate (I'll explain a little more about hp and death in a later post). You can give long-term care to up to 6 people a day, so long as you have supplies.

Treat Poison:
Treating a single person who has been poisoned and will lose hp because of it. Treat poison can be used every time the player makes a saving throw against the poison.

Treat Disease:
Same as poison, but for disease.

Also, the main difference between poison and disease is that poison applies specifically to hp and can't affect abilities, while diseases can affect hp or abilities (provided no magical affects, allergies, or other random extenuating circumstances).

Okay, info on hp and dying.

So different amounts of hp mean different affects. 1 or above means a character is fully functional. 0 hp means that a character is disabled. Below zero means that a character is unconscious. Below -10 means a character is dead.

Fully functional:
A character has no serious problems and can make a full turn.*

Disabled:
A character has seriously injured and can only make one Standard Action OR on Move Action and takes two turns to make a Full-Round Action.*

Unconscious:
If a character is unconscious he is slowly dying but still has a chance at life. The turn after falling below 0 hp a character has a 10% chance of stabilizing. If a character ever gains at least one hp while unconscious then the character automatically stabilizes. If a character is stabilized by a heal skill then he has a 10% chance of his hp increasing to 0 every hour of being stabilized.**

Dead:
The player is gone, the only way to bring them back is through resurrect spells.

Types of Healing:

Natural Healing:
With a full 8 hours of sleep a character regains 1 hp per level. Any significant interruption prevents you from healing. A full day of rest recovers double the hp.

Magical Healing:
Magic spells that heal hp

Healing Limits:
Healing can never raise your hp above it's starting (you can never gain more than you lost unless the spell specifies otherwise).

Ability Damage:
Damage done to ability scores are healed in the same way as hp damage, through rest or magic. Spells will specify if they can be applied to abilities.

*Actions are specified as follows: (A turn can consist of one movement action and one standard action OR one full-round action AND any amount of free actions

Standard Action:
Most actions are standard actions (combat, spells, drawing a weapon, picking up an object, etc.)

Movement Action:
Simply moving from one location to another. Any Standard action can be converted to a Movement Action, and vis versa. Any movement of 5 feet or under does not count as a movement action.

Free Action:
An action that takes little enough time to count against a persons time per turn (dropping something, yelling something, glancing at something, ceasing a spell or skill, etc). An unlimited number of free actions can be used per turn (to a reasonable extent).

Full-Round Action:
Some actions take long enough to take a full round (a full attack, certain spells and skills, etc). A full-round action can take up a full turn or half of two separate turns (so you move and START a full-round action, then on your next turn you begin the turn by finishing the spell).

**Characters can stabilize without the help of others:
A character has the initial chance of 10% to stabilize. Stabilizing without the help of others means that the character is still losing hp, but at a slower rate. If a character is stabilized without the help of others then every hour after being stabilized he has a 10% chance of becoming conscious at 0 hp. Every hour a character fails to become conscious he takes 1 damage. After a character is conscious he remains at 0 hp (disabled) and cannot heal naturally. Every day a character has a 10% chance to begin healing hp naturally again. Every day a character does not begin healing hp naturally he loses 1 hp and is stabilized without help at -1 health, and begins the process of becoming conscious over again.

any questions?

Aendri said:
I don't know about using a healer kit, but things like Cure Light Wounds and other such standard healing spells can heal any kind of damage aside from negative levels. I think healing kits are only good for physical damage, not mental/spiritual.
Mental damage I think would require something other than a spell if dealt with ICly, unless that spell messed with the injured's head...but I guess the definition of "healing" is broad to the deities in the D&D world. OOCly, okay, got it.

Gabriel said:
[(See his two previous posts, too long to directly quote.)]
The problem seems more to be that I'm separating the mechanics from the description of IC actions a bit more than it seems you may be used to. But you are right, I may have been looking at the kits wrong, from the mechanic point of view. I was thinking of it that way because that's how I saw it used in the Neverwinter Nights video game...though now I realize that I was wrong there, too. But, I stand by my IC description and this is why...

Sorri's Cure Light Wounds is not a spell as it is used in-character. It is something she does by hand, and so is restricted to physical effects. This is also why she needs a kit, but this seems to be at odds with how everyone is used to kits being utilized. The way I describe it being used in-character compared with the OOC stuff seems to be the cause of the misunderstanding.

First, though, I was wrong in asking for the Wis. roll. I had all of what is described in this post above and expanded on below worked out when I created Sorri but I forgot about it when I posted my tea/remedy request. That caused the current confusion, and I apologize for that.

Now, for how I intended this to work:

(Wall of text...summery at bottom, but recommend reading it all. May be used as reference/reminder-to-self later on.)

OOCly, as far as the game mechanics are concerned, everything is the same. The kit gives her a +X bonus to healing of another character, has ten uses. No problem so far.

Here's where it got tricky (and tricked me). ICly, a kit holds everything Sorri could possibly need: herbs, minerals, bandages, and some pre-made salves; everything she would need as a healer to make someone's wounds better or relieve them from aches, pains, sicknesses (within her expertise, which at this point is limited), and even fatigue. This is a description of what she can do with the kit in-character. Without the kit, she would have to create items to perform her healing out of what she has on-hand, which may be strips of cloth from clothing, herbs gathered from nearby, minerals from the area, etc. Not the best stuff (but that is why the kit has an OOC bonus attached to it, better materials). So that is why she tries to carry it around with her, and this is what I'll describe her using in posts, since it is how she heals.

With this in mind, she heals what she knows about. Take the current situation: Trap went off, negative energy worked as described, hurt targets. Sorri, not being a classically-trained cleric/healer, only knows about healing physical damage so far, not magical, and then also only what she can see. Aurelus told her the mental effects (which she can't do anything about, aside from some mind-altering/soothing herbs: chamomile, etc, and he said he was fine so she's not worried about that) and the fatigue he is experiencing (able to be remedied through the energizing mixture I proposed before). He doesn't say he's bleeding from an old sword slice from his leg (nor has Aendri mentioned it in his posts if there was any damage like that), so I assume that there are no re-opened wounds. If there were, and she was alerted to them, then she could apply healing salves and bandage those injuries.

So, to summarize the current predicament...*reviews this post to see if everything's said right this time*...ICly, she'll use resources from the kit. OOCly, ignore what I said about the Wis. roll, etc...and just roll for "Cure Minor Wounds" and use the spell's mechanic for the healing. Since she always uses the kit, the bonus is used up each time. I just took this whole process too literally (after watching the recent stuff with the rope and trap-searches) in my previous post instead of remembering what I intended to do way back at the start : P

I hope this addresses everything...Thank you for your patience, especially if you read all that ^_^;; If there are no further wrinkles with this then I'll write the IC post for it as soon as I can.

Oh, you are absolutely correct, Denkou is a she. My bad!

Anyways... So from now on OOCly when you heal someone it will count as spell use but NOT a use of the healing kit. The healing kit will only be used as described above. ICly, you can use the kit to describe your actions if you wish, but we won't actually count it against the uses of your kit.

Now, rules wise, I think the reason that the type of healing you're thinking of wouldn't work is that you really have to think of what is reasonable during a dungeon. For example: If Aurelus does something and injures his sword-arm, it would be much more reasonable to treat it afterwards as long-term care (I think most of the healing that you are thinking of would go under the long-term care portion) simply because if you're only healing option is to splint the arm, you would be much better off having him fight through the pain and treating him after rather than treating him immediately. Treating him immediately could render that arm useless until it's healed and mid-dungeon you don't want your fighter without an arm. The same would go for if Denkou injured a finger, it would be much easier to treat her later and have her suck up the broken finger, because splinting it would simply hinder her too much and make disabling traps even more difficult than if you hadn't splinted that finger.

EDIT: And sorry about posting so quickly, I just thought that we were taking a little bit too long to get moving. Besides, ICly it would actually make sense to hold off on healing to see if you even need it. As far as Sorri knows you might not run into any more problems for the rest of the mansion, so in her mind it might make sense to wait until a problem arises and then heal them based off of those needs. Probably not accurate to Sorri's mentality, but it's just a thought.

EDIT2: In one of my above posts I had inserted a [movement reducer] correction. The book describes that type of healing with a different name, but mine is for simplicity's sake. Basically, there are certain types of traps that are targeted for a person's leg or foot and will reduce their speed by 1/2. This type of healing is simply to return that character's speed to it's original speed.

Gabriel said:
So from now on OOCly when you heal someone it will count as spell use but NOT a use of the healing kit. The healing kit will only be used as described above. ICly, you can use the kit to describe your actions if you wish, but we won't actually count it against the uses of your kit.
Alright, if you want.

Now, rules wise, I think the reason that the type of healing you're thinking of wouldn't work is that you really have to think of what is reasonable during a dungeon. For example: If Aurelus does something and injures his sword-arm, it would be much more reasonable to treat it afterwards as long-term care (I think most of the healing that you are thinking of would go under the long-term care portion) simply because if you're only healing option is to splint the arm, you would be much better off having him fight through the pain and treating him after rather than treating him immediately. Treating him immediately could render that arm useless until it's healed and mid-dungeon you don't want your fighter without an arm. The same would go for if Denkou injured a finger, it would be much easier to treat her later and have her suck up the broken finger, because splinting it would simply hinder her too much and make disabling traps even more difficult than if you hadn't splinted that finger.
You're right about it being awkward and a hindrance mid-fight, but there are ways around that. The thing about mixtures is that they are versatile; if you need someone to fight through pain, then a pill or drink of pain suppressant would work for fighting despite stuff like broken bones and bruises. A salve could seal an open wound temporarily (the semi-solid state enables it to move with the injury and if mixed right it could go a while without hardening) or sooth a burn or puncture until it could be bandaged properly at the end. Now, at the moment Sorri doesn't have extensive experience...but that would be reflected in the amount of HP returned, so I guess that isn't an issue.

Maybe the temporary fixes could count as temporary HP during the fight and then long-term care could be applied after the fight? Just an idea. For the sake of the game, she could find some ingestible thing that could speed the healing of serious injuries, shortening the time in the splint or bandages...when they get back to the town and the hospital, maybe. It would be slow compared with a spell, but it would still work.

EDIT: And sorry about posting so quickly, I just thought that we were taking a little bit too long to get moving. Besides, ICly it would actually make sense to hold off on healing to see if you even need it. As far as Sorri knows you might not run into any more problems for the rest of the mansion, so in her mind it might make sense to wait until a problem arises and then heal them based off of those needs. Probably not accurate to Sorri's mentality, but it's just a thought.
She's a cautious type, and clearly we have run into problems...but Aurelus could have moved on before she had a chance to suggest it. Also, lack of energy is not a critical thing, just a worrying one : )

EDIT: Gah, sorry, in my previous post I called Aurelus Aendri's character...he's Sentient's.

No you didn't Aendri, you're simply disabled (see my above post that has to do with damage and dying). In order for you to have been unconscious then I would have to have rolled a 5 on a 4-sided die XD

RPG-D RPGfix
Back