• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Define "Consent"

Rizzo

There is a fine line between having and lacking someone's consent. In normal conversation most people do not specifically ask "do I have your permission?" or "I grant you my consent."

So at what point when a RP begins do we have the reasonable right to withdraw consent? Do we need to begin with a contractual statement? Perhaps we must submit documentation to an administrator first? I never recall anything like that being necessary. Would it be unreasonable to suggest that by responding to a post you have given your consent?

Along with consent, at what point may one decide they do not want PVP action? Before or after they post their character committing a violent act toward another character? Would it be unreasonable to suggest that by initiating a PVP scenario that you have given your consent?

I have recently had the great displeasure of having a friend, who shall remain nameless, determine that part way into a story, in which their character was intended to live, that his character would attack mine! After discovering that my characters equipment would save his life and prevent the attack from being a one-hit killer he decided to make accusations against me using my action of editing my previous post to satisfy a request he had made to "prove" I had cheated, despite that not being the case. He argued that I had not obtained his permission to engage in that RP, despite having helped me set the scene by giving me information and even posting a response!

So now I ask the community, at what point do we determine that a post is canonical?
At what point do we determine that a member has made a commitment to see a plot through to the end?
And finally, when two plots scrape against each other with conflicting continuity are the GM's obligated to work with each other to correct the plot hole?

Along with consent, at what point may one decide they do not want PVP action? Before or after they post their character committing a violent act toward another character? Would it be unreasonable to suggest that by initiating a PVP scenario that you have given your consent?

It is unreasonable, when the combat is the only reasonable reaction of a character, and when another player has invaded one of your threads and threatened the family of a character you play.

Context matters. His character was leaving the faction, you tried to kill him for leaving. This is a breach in player rights.

I had already told him his character would live.

Edit: this thread isn't for debating the situation either. This thread is for getting a feel for how the community feels about bailing on a thread because it's not going their way.

And yet you tried to take his stuff away from him. He wanted to leave the faction. You forbode him from leaving through IC coercion and force.

Maybe you shouldn’t have engaged in PVP on him through hostile intent. This is the stake of PVP, your character might die. No one is invincible.

1. I never engaged his character in PVP. This player engaged mine.
2. I never took anything away, I was facilitating him leaving in a way that explains him living on.

>So now I ask the community, at what point do we determine that a post is canonical?

When it is posted/responded to. I'd say that the vast majority of the time edits don't happen. When they do happen, the vast majority of the time they are small things that don't matter much. However, in general, once an element is out there, it's out there. If no one's responded to it, then it might be malleable. That should be pretty uncommon. Once someone has picked up an element of a post and responded to it, that element is pretty much gets set in stone.

>At what point do we determine that a member has made a commitment to see a plot through to the end?

For me, at the end of the plot after everything has been wrapped up. No one owes anyone posts. If they decide in the middle of a plot to just stop responding, then that's their right. In general, what had been written at that point stands. If they have the GM flag as yes, then a GM might be able to say that they do something. That's very uncommon though.

>when two plots scrape against each other with conflicting continuity are the GM's obligated to work with each other to correct the plot hole?

I think that according to RAW, everything that is posted is canon. However, my experience is that there is actually a lore/broad strokes perspective when it comes to plot holes. Indeed, I don't think that SARP actually has a canon, it has lore.

1. I never engaged his character in PVP. This player engaged mine.
2. I never took anything away, I was facilitating him leaving in a way that explains him living on.

You came there threatening his family. Candon kind of has a history of killing people that don't agree with his plans. The guy put two and two together.

Aside from that, I never consented to you taking a hostile action like threatening his family. That action forced the character into a situation where he would have to fight to defend those he loved.

You forced me into a PVP situation, not the other way around.

I only ever answered your questions, but I never agreed that you could come into a transmissions thread. However once you did, the character took the appropriate action in response to your post.

For me, at the end of the plot after everything has been wrapped up. No one owes anyone posts. If they decide in the middle of a plot to just stop responding, then that's their right. In general, what had been written at that point stands. If they have the GM flag as yes, then a GM might be able to say that they do something. That's very uncommon though.

I was never in one of his plots.

This thread is for getting a feel for how the community feels about bailing on a thread because it's not going their way.

....I'm pretty sure that site staff (In this case, @Ametheliana and then @Wes ) locking and then removing RP posts from a thread is not the same thing as one of the participants bailing out.

Like, about 170/200 parts of me of me are sure of that.

Right @Arbitrated, I'm referring to the action of resorting to any manner of means to back out of a thread after beginning participation. Also, I'd like to ask that we continue to keep this thread on topic, the discussion is specifically for members to express their ideas of when commitment is made. If anyone would prefer to continue discussing these specific aforementioned event perhaps we could do so in private.

Staff, I would like the record to reflect that I made no references to names, factions or other identifications. I would also like to ask whether this counts as a personal attack on myself.

Staff, I would like the record to reflect that I made no references to names, factions or other identifications. I would also like to ask whether this counts as a personal attack on myself.

It, in my opinion, is pretty much a given that this thread was made due to the (since deleted) drama that happened here - unless, of course, you were referring to the events of a different thread.

Aaaaahhh I tried. Yes, I went too far with that one. Still, Rizzo, you did go and challenge consent in the OHI “we’re leaving” thread — and here you are trying to redefine consent.

If said drama has been deleted, then it is going to be hard for the community to access the specifics of that situation. So we should probably look more about the guiding principles then what happened in this specific situation.

I think I should clarify, the intention of this thread is not to redefine anyting. I simply want to get the Public's idea on consent. I'm not making any rules, I'm not submitting a new guideline for weaponry that fires politeness. This is like a poll where you get to express your feelings. I'm sure that there is a word for that but I'm not that smart.
It would be much better if we try to resolve the actual issue we had privately so as to spare the reputations and feelings of each other.

I think we should just let this go and put everyone else on ignore. We have more than enough to do in USO plots. If other people don’t get along then just don’t play with them.

Please, please, please can we stay on topic. Zack, buddy. Frost,... well informed member(best I got, ATM).
If it doesn't have anything to do with defining consent, please, let's just make a new thread and have it out there, or take it to Discord.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back