• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Define "Consent"

I'm confused why this is being posted in setting discussion when it has nothing to do with the setting. This doesn't seem like it was a discussion but some sort of way to validate an action/course of events.

I have no idea why this is a thing, but maybe handle things between each other. Throwing people on ignore and taking arguments into threads like this is silly, just keep it to PMs and involve staff as needed. Seems like a no brainer.

Legix, this is probably the "about roleplaying" side of "If you have a question about roleplaying or the setting, ask here!"
But it really doesn't seem worded that way as a discussion. It's posed that way, but the fact that I can click in here and it looks like an argument instantly broke out?

I don't want to be "That guy" either, but all of this is pretty well defined. A player is, at any time, allowed to evoke their player rights. This was the case when a few months ago @Ethereal used his to withdraw from my plots in the middle of them. I'm not angry about it now and I wasn't even when it happened because it was his right and fundamentally cannot be contested by even the GM of the plot. Players are allowed to withdraw their consent at any time, even if it hinders the RP, because that is their right.

This question is "where do we draw the line" when the answer is already well-documented: there is no line to draw. If they say "I don't want this", then they get to back out. The only ones who can overrule this is staff via a staff/moderation decision.

So where's the discussion to be had?

I withdrew, and Rizzo, even though not being my GM, took it upon himself to enact In Character consequences. There was no consent given then. When I was pushed into PVP, there was no question that he didn't have consent.

Edit: I agree with @Legix when he said this:
I'm confused why this is being posted in setting discussion when it has nothing to do with the setting. This doesn't seem like it was a discussion but some sort of way to validate an action/course of events.

You did something wrong, and you're trying to get out of it by saying that I gave you consent by initiating PVP that you forced me into.

Last edited:
I see, so perhaps this should be more of a question regarding etiquette. Let me rephrase these questions.

So now I ask the community, at what point do we determine that a post is canonical regardless of player activity?

At what point do we determine that a member has made a commitment to see a plot through to the end without screwing everyone over by pulling his consent because all of a sudden he feels inclined to leave for whatever reason?

And finally, when two plots scrape against each other with conflicting continuity are the GM's obligated to work with each other to correct the plot hole since they're not really just players at that point, they are actually taking a leading role?

And a new question, how do players feel when someone pulls the carpet out from under their feet?

This is now about etiquette. Please keep answers to what you feel is socially accepted, not just what the player rights state as this is not about making or changing rules.

When you push a player into something, you do not have their consent. How about that?

Aside from that, this whole thread is, as Legix put it, "
some sort of way to validate an action/course of events.
" This whole thing is a sham of the highest order. It's not a discussion, it's an attempt to get out of trouble.

You want to validate your actions, and you want to be told you didn't do anything wrong. But you did. You violated my player rights, and are now trying to convince yourself and everyone else that you had consent when you did not.

For those who feel that this was a valid "discussion" initially, allow me to show that it clearly is not via the already established rights granted via Player Rights that every member is given upon joining the site and maintain as long as they are actively RPing. Specifically, the reason this discussion of "defining consent" is not a discussion that should be had within this context is due to the nature surrounding it and that the player's fundamental rights are being contested.

The following rights protect the person and are effectively why this entire argument/discussion/whatever you want to call this shouldn't have been here and needs to be resolved via staff/private discussion.
  • I have the right to ask for a retcon or edit of the last RP session, if I feel my character was played incorrectly or left out at a vital time.
  • I have the right to take my character with me to another plot if I have problems with her current plot or its game master, without worry of my plot GM using his position to get revenge.
  • I have the right to refuse any roleplay that makes me uncomfortable, especially sexual or strongly violent role-play, without negative consequences on my character or myself.
So yes, my point is that this is not discussion about the roleplay.

I see, so perhaps this should be more of a question regarding etiquette. Let me rephrase these questions.

So now I ask the community, at what point do we determine that a post is canonical regardless of player activity?

At what point do we determine that a member has made a commitment to see a plot through to the end without screwing everyone over by pulling his consent because all of a sudden he feels inclined to leave for whatever reason?

And finally, when two plots scrape against each other with conflicting continuity are the GM's obligated to work with each other to correct the plot hole since they're not really just players at that point, they are actually taking a leading role?

And a new question, how do players feel when someone pulls the carpet out from under their feet?

This is now about etiquette. Please keep answers to what you feel is socially accepted, not just what the player rights state as this is not about making or changing rules.
We do not maintain the right to determine whether or not their post is canonical regardless of activity, particularly so if the posts are requested as retconned by the player maintaining their Player Rights.

This would be treading on the player's rights to retcon it, particularly if this decision was upheld by staff. Etiquette shouldn't overrule someone's rights.

No player should be forced to see a plot through to the end, otherwise I'm sure the slippery slope of "at what point" would mean that players like myself who grew disgruntled in the past with our plots might be "locked in" and forced to roleplay with people that may honestly contrast from our experience. Etiquette shouldn't overrule someone's rights, particularly in this case because it's bad etiquette to "get revenge" by forcing someone to RP with you through to the end.

And as for how do people feel, I'm sure it's not great. However, as a Player, GM, and FM that has had players abandon plots I've been part of, created, or help run? Boo hoo. I've never found a reason to get bent out of shape for more than a few minutes of initial shock (I remember rolling my eyes when @Ethereal left my plot, but I didn't get angry or let it stop me).

Maybe I just have thick skin, though. And I do apologize that I discuss player rights, but this discussion (even with the shift) still maintains core problems and borders on discussion that threatens player's rights. If all this is is discussion feelings, though, then awesome. But I'd rather not open SARP and see people firing off at one another and taking a tone that implies player rights are about to get tread on for situational junk.

To give perspective: some now-departed members used their player rights very disrespectfully. Etiquette aside, this was something many people stomached because it's far better to have some moments of bad etiquette versus have no rights to protect us when the time calls for it. A bit of headbutting and temporary anger is far better than us worrying about everyone's "feelings" and forgetting that these rights should supersede most cases of etiquette lest players get truly wronged in the future.

TLDR: Some junk explaining how Player Rights IS important and should be visibly recognized even if the discussion is about etiquette. And a reminder that people should be adults and not try to act poorly just because someone was disrespectful once or twice.

If you didn't consent, why did you post a response? Why did you critique my post until I edited to meet your request? You say I pushed you into PVP, yet you drew first blood, even with the entire idea being your character surviving without any further need to worry about reprisal! No, I did not push you into anything. I told you I saw a problem with our stories interfering with each other, told you I had an idea to correct the matter, asked you a couple of questions to build a scene, began what should have been a conversation, and then you attacked! The real question, why do you want to talk about this publicly? You've been slandering me and accusing me privately and other people are repeating what you've been saying about me. Still, when I made this thread it was not with the intention of exposing any names. Why are you being so militant?

Although I shall refrain from answering the first question, I can certainly answer the other three.
  • There is no "point" at which "we determine that a member has made a commitment to see a plot through to the end without screwing everyone over" - because the Player Rights allow for a player to pull their consent at any time they want to.
  • GMs, to the best of my knowledge, are under no obligation to work with each other - it's recommended, sure, but it isn't required. Disputes between GMs regarding continuity are (again, to the best of my knowledge) settled by the SM, as he (the SM) is responsible for determining what is and isn't considered canon.
  • It might not be pleasant for a player to "have the carpet pulled out from under their feet," but you know what? Too. Freaking. Bad. There's nothing that states a GM has to continue providing RP they aren't comfortable with.

I posted a response because I felt forced to. That's coercion, not consent. And I'm being so "militant" about this because this thread is a sham, an attempt to disguise your wrongdoings while simultaneously gaining a definition of consent which paints you as the 'good guy' which you in no way are.

You forced me into PVP, by threatening the family of an NPC in such a manner that the only reasonable thing for that NPC to do was to defend them. You had no right to do what you did, because you are not a GM for me. You had no right to do what you did, but you claim that you did.

You had no right to do what you did, and now you want an easy out of the consequences of what you did.

I'm fine with discussing it in public, because I know that I did nothing wrong. You asked me for information, and then used that information to make an RP post which violated my player rights. I continued what you had started not because I was OK with it, but because I felt forced to do so. Eventually, you were in a losing position in PVP, at which point you decided that you didn't want to lose, and started to claim that I had been OK with this when I never was.

You are in the wrong in every way here.

Because people deserve to know what happened. They deserve to know exactly what you did.

So why didn't you immediately say no to the meeting?
You assumed because I immediately didn't say no, and answered your questions (When I didn't know what you planned to do), that you had consent.

I didn't immediately say know because I didn't know what you had planned. I didn't say know because you also didn't ask if I was ok with a meeting, you asked me questions and then just broke into a thread.

When you do something to someone in real life because you think you have consent, it's a crime. Here, it's just a violation of players rights.

I want Wes to be able to look at a condensed version of both sides' problems with the RP thread, so that he can make a ruling if it deserves a retcon or not due to infringing on rights. Can both Alex and Rizzo give a brief explanation, after they've read what I have to say?

One thing to note that I feel like Wes will want to know is that this is a GM-less thread. Rizzo's plotline was mentioned and Alex was casting sails from 188. There was no authority to go to besides myself. I made the call to go with what the thread starter asked for, which was to lock it.

Alex also believed that Rizzo had changed his suit or loadout in an edit, but that specific type of edit wasn't made.

Alex agreed to have Rizzo come into his thread, but not for the purpose of having his character (which does not have a wiki page, btw, so he technically isn't a character nor NPC) have a gun to his head. That's not what he wanted for his character and Rizzo didn't want for his character to have his suit he was in crippled. Alex's character was going to make it out alive according to OOC promises, but I can understand not believing that fully. Alex from what I understand was then out for blood. All of that seems like it's too stressful for either to have a good time RPing.

Here's what I want people to read, though, as all that was just paraphrasing:

There is a phrase I've been toying around with making up and I've said it to Wes a few times, now, but it's along these line, "We're here to bring our words together, not to use them against one another."

Answer this, did you use your words against another person recently?

If you did, you can apologize to that person literally anywhere or anyway you feel comfortable.

If you think you didn't, but someone is implying or straight up telling you that your words are causing them stress, then you have an apology to make.

And, in the future, use your words in tandem with others and not against anyone. We're here for fun, not stress.

I do apologize for wrongly accusing Rizzo of editing , but are we going to gloss over the violation of player rights?

@Alex Hart I'm sorry I didn't communicate well enough. I was tired and stressed last night and it would have been more responsible to just go to bed. I never intended for you to feel pressured into a story you didn't like. I know that you are a good writer that values the best storytelling. I saw a problem with our stories and intended to bend my plot to let yours continue without any continuity issues.

You keep claiming that I violated you, but I think that is a stretch of any imagination. I have the respect for you to tell you that directly. Still, what would you have the administration do? Strip me of mod status? Nullify the plot I worked hard on? Ban me? What will make you happy?

The action that I took was to remove the posts from the thread because:
  • Alex is the thread OP, which means it's his thread (Thread OPs are considered the defacto GMs of threads in non-GMed forums)
  • They were not transmissions/communications.
  • It was clear they were upsetting Alex and he didn't really want them there, and Alex has the right to refuse to RP
  • They attempted to block a transmission that was already sent in the RP in the previous post, which I considered an auto
  • They appeared to be motivated by OOC revenge for leaving the faction/plot, which is against the spirit of the player rights, where players have the right to leave plots without GMs getting revenge.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back