Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

RP: Pisces Episode 01 - 'Under A Blind God'

"I can install the equipment, no problem. Unlike our security chief I don't have a problem getting my hands dirty." She made a face in the direction of the door, and then pulled Del aside.

"A moment of your time, doctor. There's something I need to ask if we have on hand."

Camellia was just standing outside the medical bay. Her anger for the actions inside caused her to leave in a rush, and she was debating where to go from there, when Caine appeared and rested a hand on her shoulder.

Looking over her shoulder to him, she smiled sadly, "come to take me away, have you?" She asked, though she knew the answer already. She began to walk forward, her security office and the brig within, was in the general direction.

"So Caine," she said, cutting the silence, "what do you think of the investigation so far?" The current hot topic among the staff. "Personally, I think we're doing terribly. No solid evidence, not even any real clues and witty double talk that uses Occham's Razor." She continued to walk as she silently pondered her last statement.

"Wait... If this person was so meticulous to set all this up, wouldn't Occham's Razor be too easy a means?" She asked, "I mean logically, in the Empire, Hemosynthetic blood would be an obvious answer. But, this is a space station, HS is just one of many 'lifebloods' here. We also have the power systems, heating, water recycling..." She turned her gaze to him while she rambled. Hoping he'd catch on.

Caine sighed and nodded to her in agreement. "I think Marina doesn't know what she's doing honestly." he said, walking with her holding her by the shoulder gently. "But you're gonna have to explain Occha-whatever's razor to me" he said with a chuckle. "but I agree, he could be trying to mess with the power so the station stays isolated for whatever means but it seems like he's obsessed with the taisa, I dunno why. She's not that attractive..." he mused in a voice between them alone.

"Occham's Razor is a logical tenet," Camellia explained, "Generally, it's read as; 'All things being equal, the simplest solution tends to be the best one.' Anyway, this person's grandstanding doesn't mesh with obviousness." She said, determination in her words, "he's crafty and wholely unconcerned for other lives. Spelling out his plans is not the way to catch him, infact spelling them out is what he probabily wants us to think he's doing, he's playing us." She said with a flick of her head, whipping her slivery hair about.

"If only Marina-Taisa didn't act like such a fool, she's been ignoring proper protocol ever since the investigation began." Camellia said with a sigh, "she's comprimised evidence, didn't secure scenes... She never even called me when she found the item in the first place..."

Yaichiro looked to Marina next.

"Taisa...I have concerns about puting the Security Officer in the brig. Now that I think about it, she should suffer consequences, and normally the brig would be suitable, but we are exceedingly short on Command Staff. Unless I am mistaken, there are six of us at best--and I barely qualify. Putting her in the brig, while deserved, might not be the most effective use of personnel, if she can learn her lesson by other means...if we ever needed a security officer, now is the time with this criminal and the civilians, undesirable as her attitude may be."

Terry shook his head slowly,

"Taisa, I do not think that simply because of this crisis we should allow discipline to slip. It could serve as then end of the wedge - promoting ill discipline all around the station, and that is something we can scarcely afford. In addition we now need strong leadership, and your own security officer - the very person who should embody the security of people within this station - questioning your orders and acting in such a fashion ... you can not let it go unpunished, and not be overly lenient. Sir."

Caine listened to what Cam was saying about Occham's Razor, and it was still beyond him but if it made sense why argue. He couldn't argue her logic either, it sounded pretty grounded to him. "You may be right, he wants us to sit around and stew over his message while he prepares another little gift for her." He sighed. "With a station this large and as understaffed as it is it may be impossible to catch him without filtering the refugees out of it so it'd just be him and us." He said

"Tch seriously, I think she doesn't even want to find the guy responsible because then it means she has to dropthe compassion she wants to maintain." Caine said as they walked toward the security office. "Now I have to put you in the brig but it doesn't mean you have to be out of the loop. I'll keep you informed of what's going on, if nobody listens or hears you out I will." He offered her a smile. "I learned to at least try your suggestions at the battle of Taiie." He nodded.

Camellia smiled. At lest she has one ally on the station. "I may not be a great leader, but I know my tactics." She said, as they neared the security station. She stopped outside the door and took a deep breath.

"Caine. This guy's smart, smarter then you, me, definitly Marisa-Taisa," Camellia said, her eyes closed as she kept on taking those deep breaths. "He will strike again." She stated, certinty in her voice, "most likely, his next gift with be a brain." She said before walking into the security office alone and letting the door close before Caine could follow.

Caine nodded, he couldn't argue that response really and just sighed when the door opened and closed before him. Opening up the door he'd blink seeing her in the jail cell already, he just locked it and sat down at the desk, noticing the nekos weren't. "He is. but what makes you think it'll be a brain?"

"Think about it." Camellia said, "he's already made refrence through the eyes. And a vital station system through the heart. What else is there to mention? The communications? The defensive systems?" Camellia shook her head. "The one thing that hasn't been installed yet, and is absloutely vital to this station is the KAMI computer core."

Caine sat back in the chair and thought on what she said. "Yes you're right which means that he could target the computer systems eventually to keep us from being able to fully install the KAMI and he'd get away with it." he said and sighed. "but what if it's someone we aren't thinking about, think about it, Marina is the first suspect, she found both packages first." he said. "How would she be there to find the packages before anyone else would?"

Kitty led Yuichi away from the medical bay, shaking her head slightly. "Its not a drum, Yuichi. Its something I dont quite understand, and I think we'll do better getting you away from them. Do you have any family that you know of? Anywhere to stay on the station?"

The pain in her leg was beginning to recede. A Yamataian's regeneration was not to be underestimated. Still, the sharp sensation lingered with every passing step. It struck her briefly that her leaving without permission could earn her punishment, but then, she realized just as abruptly that she didn't care. Yuichi was, as of the current point, the only person on the station whom Kitty held any loyalty to, or responsibility for.

Yuichi shook his head.

"Nuh-uh...Gramma and Gram'pa died before I was born, an' Uncle Shigeru died last year fighting here against the tentacle monsters...I'm alone now."

He sniffled a bit, reminded of his loss...

Yaichiro acknowledged his superior.

"Normally I'd agree...but I am still concerned with the lack of personnel...are there any 5th XF Officers or Soldiers from the refugees we can bring aboard? In this situation, we may even be able to draft retirees from the bunch. We need more than 5 officers to care for however many thousands of people are in our midst, plus this crime..."

Suddenly, an idea snapped in Yaichiro's head...

"...then again, maybe we can...Taisa, I read a report of a Nozomi found in the remains of the old 6th SF's lines. It was fairly recent. I also remember that when we overhauled Gemini, we often used a ship's MEGAMI as an interim IES until the KAMI was online...I have a Daisy 1B on order. When it arrives, would it be prudent to scout for a Nozomi wreck to salvage its IES as long as I can maintain my other responsibilities?"

Marina coughed slightly before responding. "If you could do so, Kage-juni, that would be appropriate...however, I will have to agree with Terry. There must be the image of a commander who is generally supported by her subordinates, and I can't be lenient and let things fall apart right now."

"As for drafting the 5th's soldiers...whoever we can get, we shall recruit. However, no one is to superscede the command staff, regardless of rank."

Yaichiro nodded, bowing...

"I understand, Taisa...I also recommend putting a guard on the Kessaku Electronics Representatives. The killer likely knows delaying KAMI will be to his advantage."

He directed his eyes to his datapad, set on the task of locking administrative HSCS access to those his rank and above, and designing something to read and track KS cards with the most effectiveness possible, with limited processing power.

"What to you mean we're not allowed to leave? Do you see this fucking rank pin, soldier!?!" the displaced Taisa shouted. Taisa Frank Steel was a 5th Expeditionary veteran who'd gone with his crew to Pisces after his ship had been irrepairably damaged by the Mishhuvurthyar. Now, attempting to leave for Nataaria, the investigation was in his way, and it pissed him off. He nearly slugged the docking port guard across the face, but his soldierly discipline kept him in check. Of course, he was pissed off. "Get me this Taisa Marina, now," he ordered. He definately had a few choice words for the station commander.

Del, noting Tetsuko's request, turned to address the officer. "...errm. Yes, ma'am?" A slight bow, a rather definite change in mood from his prior sourness. "I'm not entirely sure how we're stocked, I've only just arrived. I can check anything you need, though..."

Perhaps the apology had earned back his namesake, trademarked delight! Yes, we shall say that.

Taisa Igarashi Yuka emerged from the crowd behind Frank, the former XO of the Saisei Carrier Group and one of the most decorated captains in the fleet. The Eioku had been destroyed at Taiie but she and her senior staff had made it to Pisces onboard one of the fleeing shuttles. "Pull your self together Steel.â€

While Caine was talking with Cam about the investigation, a signal came over his communicator. "Hmm? I guess these things are still working within the station." he said and opened it up to hear the guard Steel had almost slugged telling him that he's needed in that area. "Well damn, I'll be back Cam." He said and stood up and looked at her nekos. "You two, keep an eye on her, you can socialize but I'm afraid you can't release her yet." He instructed and hurried out of the room.

The half-elf walked briskly down the hallway, his boots clapping against the metal floor as he did. Once he got to the docking bay he looked over the guards shoulder to the other 5th taisas. "what seems to be the problem here?" he asked the guard who pointed out the two people.

He spotted one familiar face from the 5th's Iori. "Taisa Igarashi?!" he asked in surprise. "I take it you two want off this station...." He trailed off.

Chief took the CMO by the arm and promptly pushed Del against a wall where they were out of sight, and looked him square in the eye.

"I want your solemn word that you will not speak of this to anyone, do you understand? I need...it's to help a problem I have. A result of the biowarfare waged against Albini." She showed him her left hand, shaking uncontrollably if she didn't ball it up. "A neurosuppressant. In its purest form. It's the only thing that keeps the rogue impulses in check."

The reason for the secrecy was that the quantity and concentration she wanted it in could well be viewed as possession with intent to distribute. If the CMO wanted more details, however, he'd have to look into a little footnote not shown in Chief's career records but present in her medical file.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back