• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

RP: Pisces Episode 01 - 'Under A Blind God'

In minutes, the thralls of refugees, both civilian and military, began to fill the station, setting up wherever they could find. Some took shops on the concourses. Industrious types set up tents and went to work on nearby living sections, hoping to quickly complete them. Others simply claimed a nook or corner as their own and fell asleep on standard-issue blankets, exhausted. There was no shortage of resources; the raw materials and part gained from dismantling old Arashi destroyers at Nataria's Star Army Depot poured into the station's cargo decks, moving to storage bays and from ship to ship. Some of it was going to Nepleslia, some to Elysia; Pisces got its own share. Overall, the station was quickly becoming crowded and cramped.

Expecting a dumb Nepleslian kid to back down from a fight just because it was certain death would be the first mistake Kitty made. The second mistake would have been to not stun the kid the minute he threatened the boy; as he apparently had a gun installed in his right arm, which he promptly shot towards the soldier - he was short, so it would only hit her legs, but this wasn't a good thing at all for a kid to have, now, was it?

<center>* * *</center>
"I'm getting complaints from every team; the passengers haven't been properly screened!" Marina shook her head. Nothing was going as planned. The station should've been finished in the first place; it was understaffed and underfunded; the fleet's logistics were a joke; and most important of all, they were alone, without the all-seeing god that normally watched over them and arranged nearly everything for them. It was too much to bear.

"Nozomi-Taii, meet me in the commercial sector. I'm thirsty..."

With a sharp cry, Kitty dropped to one knee. Oh well. Better she take the shot than some tiny child who recently discovered the loss of her parents. She was quickly realizing exactly why every leader of Nairan so greatly despised Nepleslians. Was barbarism and idiocy hardcoded into their genetics? At this point, it didnt much matter. Kitty had a sidearm (much as she hadn't wanted to use it), she drew and fired for the ground in front of the boy's feet. Or she had intended to, anyway. Pain makes things a little blurry. Or maybe anger. Either way! The shot wound up more of a shot at the boy's feet.

"You're testing my patience, you know." The weapon now leveled on the child's gun-arm. "

The kid's boots were immediately fried. "Hey, I liked those!" In his left arm was a knife, and he leaped and charged at the soldier. He was fast.

An injured leg didn't mark any great disadvantage against a charging opponent when one knew how to rect. Kitty's reaction to his charge was, in fact, two-fold. She fired for the gun-arm, twisting her body to the rightas he lunged, hand shifting under his knife-arm in a kaitenage form throw.

Considering he was both significantly smaller than Kitty, and had charged, keeping his footing would be an effort worthy of an Olympian gymnast. Indeed, any course of action other than falling flat on his back would be a feat of extraordinary physical ability.

Yuichi, that was the boy's name, looked scared...

"STOP THIS! Is it even worth my hat to you?!? Why are you doing this? Leave the nice woman alone!!!"

Sighing dejectedly at the captain's continued exasperation, Cheif nodded in resignation. "Commercial sector is...only half finished. At least it has atmosphere, but it's damned cold. As for complaints what were they expecting would happen with millions of refugees flooding every sector of the empire?

"I'm beginning to understand the SMX tactics better; they're not waging a war of attrition as much as they are forcing us to devote resources to other endeavors. I can't believe that the handling of the refugees hasn't been turned over to civilian authorities already. If I were in the proper position I would order that immediately; then I'd gather every ship I had and go after the Misshu resources. Not shipyards, but their raw materials."

She wasn't much of a strategist but Tetsuko had a fondness for pointing out the flaws in every operation. Even her own endeavors. While she could do nothing about the screenings, she did still have those Custodians. Unassigned as of yet last she checked, but that could quickly change.

Camellia was watching the fight from a security feed, the right side of her face cradled in a hand and a bland look on her face.

"Inou, contact Marina, thirty seconds ago." Camellia stated, pointing at the Santo hei. "Sasaki, get a Custodian down there to break the fight up and place both parties under confinement." She finished, pointing at the Joto hei.

As fast as she could get down there, Tetsuko arrived in the commercial sector, wondering where in it Marina could have gone. The station so suddenly full was a problem; she assigned a Custodian the task of meeting the de facto leader of every work group and giving them updated assignments, and herself looking at what still needed doing--besides the KAMI of course.

Industrious refugees had set up shop in the mostly-empty sector; though it was illegal, no one was really in any situation to refuse. Even in times of crisis, people needed to buy things.

And that's exactly what Marina was doing - she was at a makeshift food kiosk, looking for her favorite snack. Evidently, most people had been funneled into residential sectors better built to handle them.

Meanwhile, her communicator beeped annoyingly, left on her office desk...

<center>* * *</center>

Before the order to break up the fight could even be recieved by any of the Custodians - hell, before the kid even hit the ground - a sonic blast knocked the kid off-balance and out cold, knocked down by a particularly generic-looking Custodian.

"Enemy neutralized. Soldier Third Class Yuki Koyama and the unmatured humanoid are no longer in danger."

Tetsuko finally, after long minutes of searching, found her Captain, browsing for her favorite snack at a ramshackle food stall built out of half-finished desks and a divider tarp. "Captain, I--" her clipboard beeped menacingly. "You have a phone call."

Chief sighed, holding out her clipboard. It was illegal, tapping into the captain's personal communicator, but she'd done it anyway. Just in case she needed to call her.

Marina cocked her head to one side - the Taii could be court-martialed for this! - but refused the call. "There is a time and a place for those sorts of things; unless an airlock has blown open killing thousands, I don't want to hear about it right now."

"Tell me, Nozomi, what do you want to drink?"

Chief shrugged and let the caller be, shutting off the connection and filing it under "Don't Use Unless In Emergency."

"I think I would like a deep rich mint tea, with a shot of..." she brought her hand up to her mouth to suppress a cough. All this stress, it was definitely not good for her. "A shot of rum."

"Where the hell is that freighter? If it doesn't get here soon...!"

The shopkeep, somewhat aged but still spry, quickly had the tea made, complete with the bottle of rum next to it in case it was needed. Marina found her snack, in their typical red box, and also ordered a sparkling water with lemon; also promptly made. "I expected this to be easier, honestly. I was told the station would be complete by the time I arrived; obviously, some miscommunication happened along the line. Hopefully the refugees can help us soon..."

Out of the box, came a chocolate-covered stick. "Want one?"

"Shit happens." Tetsuko calmly and politely declined the chocolate-covered stick; not that she didn't like them, she just didn't want one at the moment. The bottle of rum was opened and a half of a finger went mixed into her tea.

"The problem is twofold. First, they are trying to use exclusively military contractors to build a star fortress, on limited resources no less. The other half of the problem is how far up our glorious ruler's ass that her subordinates have their noses."

Kitty pushed herself back up to standing with a grimace of pain, spent a moment leaning against the wall. The damage wasn't particularly crippling, but it was certainly painful. She glanced back at the younger child. To the custodian, she paid no heed at all. If it needed her attention, it could make that known.

"...are you alright? Lost..?" She offered a hand. "...I'm Kitty. I need to report to my CO, but you can come along, if you like..."

"...Aida Yuichi...I'm sorry ya got hurt because of me..."

He took her hand, shyly, quite shaken and upset...he looked back at the boy, and then the Custodian, apparently afraid of both of them...

"..Miss Kitty...what's a 'CO'?"

"...commanding officer. It is good to meet you, Yuichi. Come, lets find the Taisa."

Kitty gave a happy smile, pushing back the pain impulses. "You didn't get me hurt, Yuichi. He shot me, and that's not in any way your fault."

"Star Army technology is highly restricted...most civilians simply don't know how to work with it." Marina commented, stick hanging out her mouth as she spoke. "As for Yui...she isn't so bad. Rather, it's the people who think of her as a goddess that are the problem." She took a swig of her water; the taste combination between the snack and drink was strange, but pleasent.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back