• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

RP: Pisces Episode 01 - 'Under A Blind God'

"I've never met either of them to be able to judge one way or the other, so for the time being I'll blame both of them." As for proprietary military technology--well, hire smugglers, thieves, black marketeers to run the machines that the army didn't have enough personnel to. That, or teach the civilians how to operate and maintain them.

Although Tetsuko wasn't so foolish as to believe there was a solution for everything; she was a military woman herself and knew that there were some things that just weren't done.

Her left hand drifted onto her right, to steady it against an almost imperceptible shaking. Not from inebriation, or from anger...hoping her CO didn't notice.

[GM's Note - Link to conversation]

Yaichiro pulled out the communicator and set it on the table with a sigh...he'd elected to stop doubleshifting, at least for today, as Dr. Gunn said he had to pace himself...and he was right. back down to time and a half, which was still a lot...

A few people had droped by to congratulate him of his two pet projects: A paper detailing technical tactics for Engineers to push more performance from their vessels when it was needed most, and a more economical and reasonable Main Gun or the Nozomi...they weren't super tech, all based on existing technology, but they were interesting. Yaichiro wasn't as excited as they, though...it still needed simulation testing and approval...once he was done with his current tasks.

He lay back in a chair and relaxed, thinking about the situation he found himself in, among other things...

Rob Dougan - Instrumental

SCENE >> Pisces Commercial Sector

Marina was soon disinterested at the current subject; she came here to escape the situation she had been pushed into, not to drag herself further into it. And so, with a bright smile, she changed the idea. "Ne, Nozomi, would you like to come to the observation deck?" Unlike most Yamataians with traditional educations, Marina evidently didn't mix languages in that manner that infuriates native english speakers.

She seemed...puzzled at first, but quickly relented to the idea of spending a few minutes or perhaps hours with her clipboard in standby mode. Steadying her hand against the table to stand, Tetsuko nodded. "Alright, I'll bite. And please for the love of pulsars, you're allowed to use my given name or my moniker; I'd hate the underlings to think we weren't on friendly terms."

"Your last name suits you better...the way things are going, you seem to be the last hope for the station, after all." Marina said that horrid pun with no sense of hyperbole whatsoever...she really meant what she said. The way her eyes laid upon the Chief was that of someone filled with awe. "Follow me," she said, as she led Nozomi to one of the currently operable lifts.

Chief shrugged, and followed to the lift. Not really trusting the damned things, but having no alternative in the matter. "Okay, so the observation deck...no one else there hopefully?"

"It's fairly empty, or at least should be," Marina said, stuffing another stick into her mouth.

"Good. I'm rather...bored of being surrounded by people at the moment." She leaned against the far wall, opposite the lift doors, and gripped the handrail rather tightly. Muttering to herself, "bloody things, they go the wrong way when they bounce..."

"They are rather large," Marina muttered under her breath with a blush, as the lift arrived at the observation deck. It was mostly empty, but that was by design; nothing obstructed the view, the entire wall on this part of the station made of transparent zesuaium and providing a beautiful view of the planet below. Albini, in all its blue and white glory, was a beautiful sight below them; the gaze of the sun was largely filtered by the material, and so too added to the beauty of the sight.

Even here, Tetsuko's thoughts began to drift back to the days past, horrible things...from up here it was easy to forget what had been done to the planet, to its people. Most of them would be returning, as soon as enough spare bodies could be made, but there were some that would never be seen again.

"I thought it would be appropriate," Marina simply said, as she stepped out to the windows, looking for all the world like a child looking down on their home planet for the first time.

"Appropriate...and do you always try to comfort your subordinates by reminding them of things they would rather forget for all eternity?" She didn't mean to sound harsh, or critical of her captain, but there it was, staring her in the face like the blue-tinted eye of a mockingbird, peering out of the surrounding blackness.

"..." Marina didn't respond. She didn't know, of course. But the connection soon came to her; she was there on the planet when it was destroyed, all life on it obliterated...after what seemed like an eternity, she responded. "Even here, there's no way to forget about war...is there?"

"It follows us like a shadow." For some of us more than others, is what she didn't say, but the meaning was there, lingering unspoken in the space between herself and Marina.

"...I heard them, you know. The screams of those who were killed in battle, who went to fight and die...and why?" Marina seemed on the verge of tears as she reminisced. "We never did anything wrong..."

Tetsuko shuffled closer, brought her arm arond her captain in a soothing embrace. "They did it because they could and that's all that matters. Maybe they saw us as threatening; maybe they're aggressively territorial and are punishing us for trespassing." Whatever the reason, they still deserved to burn for their sins.

Marina was slightly shocked by the action of her executive...but didn't stop her. This was a moment, and there was no need to ruin it...not with words, not with anything.

But as with all such things such moments had to end; the shaking in Tetsuko's body was reaching noticeable levels and the chief pulled away, fearful of being found out. But she might still have to tell all anyway and hope there wasn't anyone snooping.

Such thoughts were shortlived, however...as something caught Marina's eye - a certain package. A package of familiar size, and covered with a dark blue paper, with black smiley's and a yellow ribbon. And on the top – an ornate Green bow and a note, ‘For my dearest commander, Marina.' As would be expected of such a package, Marina picked it up...and immediately knew that it was another message.

"Another...another..." Tetsuko steeled herself against...whatever it was causing her to stammer so suddenly. "Another package?"

"...the medbay." The commander manifested herself once again. "Now." And all thoughts of anything but duty were forgotten, as Marina returned to the lift, motioning for Nozomi to follow.

She nodded, sighing as once again duty intruded upon calm and shattered it like fragile glass. "As you wish."

END

Delight Wyndham was not a happy man right now. His arrival on Pisces, delayed as it had been, should have been something much smoother than this. Of course, 'should have' and the like... never really affected reality to any alarming extent, and Del could find some aesthetic pleasure in the almost serendipitous chaos he came to.

Of course, the lack of major station systems to report to was something a little odd, particularly from perspective of one trained by the Star Army. A little nervously, he drew out his communicator. He was fairly certain he had heard a gunshot, shouts, and fighting not too far off - but the echoing through the hallways made it impossible to tell where, and only added to his nervousness.

Where was Marina? Finding her would mean finding the medbay, or at least finding some semblance of stability to lean on. He attempted the comm, attempted contact, leaning back into the wall almost by second nature.

Obviously Pisces was a warzone. It had been invaded by someone.

[GM's Note - Post is now 'post-dated', meaning that it takes place in the future of the current time frame...as soon as Marina reaches the medbay, and the situation with the package is resolved, this post will be moved to the proper spot.]

Caine shrugged off Arisa's rejection to transfer off this hellhole, with this invasion of civilians and misplaced soldiers. He was doing his best to handle the problems the civilians were having about their situations. Caine was quickly losing his patience with the amount of totally asinine comments he was getting and was about to start tasering them. Privately he hoped that someone could overturn that request rejection. He would shut up and continue doing what his little assignment, acting as a cop to keep the civilians needs met with the limited resources open on the station.

Tetsuko heard her clipboard beeping again, and she signed onto the comm network to see what it was. A communique for the captain...but she didn't know if Marina even had her comm with her. Tetsuko brought up the forbidden link and decided maybe it was better to keep it available instead of hiding it away.

"Marina-taisa is not available at the moment, may I speak in her stead?" Not knowing who was on the other end but if they were calling the captain directly it must be important.

"Who am I speaking to...?" Del shook his head slightly, then rephrased. "Santo-hei Delight Wyndham, medical, reporting. I need to report to the CO, or, at the very least, gt directions to medbay. I'm all kinds of certain I just heard gunshots, and if I did, that means people are likely to be injured, which in turn... sorry. This isn't quite what I expected to arrive to. My nerves are off kilter."

A hand settled on his forehead as he waited for a reply, watching dubiously down the hallway.

Chief sighed to herself, and then said, "You're speaking to the XO, Taii Nozomi. If you're coming from the main docking armature, head up corridor 1B towards Concourse Twelve, go up two decks and follow the hallway to Suite 18R. The medical facilities are just beyond that."

"Ah, good, the doctor is here." Marina seemed to relax when she overheard Nozomi's conversation. "Assemble the staff in the medbay. I want everyone there by the time we arrive."

Quick to follow the instructions of her captain, Chief logged a note and sent the information to every member of the command staff that was on the station and had a communicator--all of them should have been equipped with one--and then started off for the medical ward. Thinking that they might soon be overwhelmed.

If there were gunshots--well, all that Chief could think is that people in desperate situations did radical things. She knew, all too well, what could result from it.

Caine had been going about his duties to help sort the refugees out into who could work and who could not. From civlian to Military, young to old they were slowly but surely getting sorted out over time. When he got the message to report to the medbay he sighed. "At least it's something different." he said and started off toward the place in question. Luckily he'd taken time to find it when he boarded originally so he knew the way there and would reach there shortly.

Yaichiro opened his eyes and sat up in bed...upon seeing the order on his communicator, he quickly got up and dressed. Within five minutes he was enroute to the medbay in full uniform...

I wonder what it is this time...the last time we were called in this manner...

"Understood. Thank you, Taii." With directions in mind, Del took the most direct course to the medbay, constantly on edge in case some asshat tried to jump him. He was, of course, feeling slightly paranoid, what with all the noise and chaos around him....

~

Kitty noted an alert from her communicator, and spared a moment to look. Then, with a smile, she tilted her head towards Yuuichi. "A bit of good news, sir! We are going to the medbay to see the CO. And hopefully to get my leg tended to, and find you some place you can be safe."

She offered a hand to the boy, and took to the corridors at a slow, limping pace. Perhaps she wouldn't be there before the CO as requested, but she had a viable reason for that...

Yuichi smiled and followed, taking her hand...

"Good! You need to go there anyway...you still have that pullet in you, right?"

Camellia, out of shear boredom, had fallen asleep while at her desk while her two neko helpers were busy handling the security station. When the general call came for her, she didn't respond since she was asleep.

"Should we wake her?" Sasaki asked as she looked over to Inou, whom responded with a shrug. Sasaki looked back at the sleeping Chui, "I'm going to wake her."

A few moments later, Camellia walked into the Medical bay, yawning slightly. "Sorry for my lateness, my two assistants were being a bother."

Back in her office, Sasaki was laying out cold on the ground, a rather large lump on her head and Inou was laughing her ass off.

Caine walked in a few moments behind Cam and shook his head at her with a smirk. "Not much to do for security huh?" he asked her quietly. But really there was a lot going on with Caine at least, with sorting out the refugees; at least he'd gotten them divided up between civilian and military...mostly.

Yaichiro was next...with an ever-present datapad...he silently waited for the briefing, eyeing the package in the room with obvious suspiscion immediately...

Del arrived in a huff, looking rather breathless, somewhat disoriented, obviously a bit scared, and with his rank pin not showing. It took a moment of consideration before he realized the pin was, in fact, in his hand, and attached it quickly to the uniform. He waited in place, awhile, shifting from one foot to the next rather anxiously.

~

Progress for Kitty was painfully slow with the injured leg, but arrive she did, some time after Del, and with a small child in tow. She looked extremely nervous, though not so dishevelled as the Doctor, despite the bullet-to-the-hip scenario.

Yuichi looked at the parcel and smiled as he entered with Kitty, still holding her hand.

"YAY! Somebody gots a present! Is it a birthday?"

When she heard him ask about birthdays, she shook her head, "no. It's not that kind..." Camellia said turning her head so she could look at who asked and saw Kitty with the child from the security feeds,

"You two!" She started as she turned to them, "where's the other child?" She asked as she advanced on them slightly.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back