Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

RP: Cirrus Station [Episode 9] The Silver Lining

Odette's seemingly ever-present smile faded momentarily with Blake's rather blunt recommendation, only to turn back in a much weaker fashion. "Ah... well..." Odette raised a clenched hand and cleared her throat politely instead of further commenting on Blake's depiction of reward. "Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of offering to pay for your purchases; I am very well provided for by my family and, as long as your choices are reasonable, I wish to reward you two in this fashion."

---

While Tweak wandered off through the racks of clothing in the picturesque store looking for something to catch her eye, she instead caught they eye of another. Tweak could sense a figure approaching her casually, but would most likely not think anything of it until it was upon her. When at an acceptable distance, Tweak would hear a familiar voice speak off to her side. "Looking for something specific, ma'am?" Were Tweak's senses of memory sharp enough, she would instantly deduce that the voice matched a very prominent figure... Laj Vinross Yu, of Vinross Yu-Cranker Materials. The man was smiling slyly in Tweak's direction, his hands casually tucked into the pockets of his rather expensive-looking dinner jacket.

Within eyesight of Cassefin, Claire and Purina, both Tweak and Laj would also see two more figures approaching the threesome; one Marrisa Cranker, secondary CEO of Vinross Yu-Cranker and one Nell Sarahs, the Unique that Squad 35 had encountered not so long ago. The two women were dressed for pleasure rather than business, however, their state of dress and gussied-up appearances signifying a reason for being there other than what the Cirrus Station crew had seen them attend to beforehand.

Marrisa Cranker approached the group and clasped her hands together in delight. As if it were even possible, the CEO's elegant dress was perhaps even more stylish and expensive than Cassefin's own, her hair curled into flowing golden locks that bobbed in uniform as she halted before the two Cirrus administrators. "'Finny! Purina! It's been so long since I've seen you two together," Marrisa declared, smiling at the group as she eyes jumped between the two, falling on Claire and the others a number of times as well before setting back on Cassefin's red-hot glare and forcibly-faked smile.

"Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of offering to pay for your purchases; I am very well provided for by my family and, as long as your choices are reasonable, I wish to reward you two in this fashion."

"Oh? Well," Kokuten held up the pack of Reubens that he had been holding on to for most of the conversation. "As long as you don't mind paying for another pack of Reubens, then yes! Thank you, I'd gladly take such a generous return. Isn't that right, Morris?" The doctor heeled at the other man's ankle for the comment before and to accept the already given offer, as apology for his forward rudeness. Of course, between men like Kokuten and Blake, this message would be crystal clear, even if it was just a small tap of his heel to Blake's ankle.

MoonMan said:
While Tweak wandered off through the racks of clothing in the picturesque store looking for something to catch her eye, she instead caught they eye of another. Tweak could sense a figure approaching her casually, but would most likely not think anything of it until it was upon her.
Tweak was carefully out-of-sight of Purina, trying to avoid another personal-space-breaking incident as she rapidly flicked through a rack of clothing with one hand, her coat sleeves covering her hands down to her fingertips and the suggested dress from Purina draped over her other arm. Her tactical system was in near-standby mode, only tracking motion and objects, not actively warning since this was not a combat zone or expected to be one anytime soon. However, she still had a minimum safe distance, larger than most people's comfort zones, and the TacOpSys began actively tracking Laj and monitoring his actions just before he spoke. Monitoring...but not warning. No reason to.

When at an acceptable distance, Tweak would hear a familiar voice speak off to her side. "Looking for something specific, ma'am?" Were Tweak's senses of memory sharp enough, she would instantly deduce that the voice matched a very prominent figure... Laj Vinross Yu, of Vinross Yu-Cranker Materials. The man was smiling slyly in Tweak's direction, his hands casually tucked into the pockets of his rather expensive-looking dinner jacket.
The only reply he got was a shrug of her shoulders as she continued flipping through the store's offerings, thinking maybe he worked there. "Not specific," she murmured, barely audible. Meanwhile, her tactical system busied itself.

Voice print analysis: Friendly. Stress points identified, previous analysis results modified: 82.1% probability of false presentation.

False? So...pretending to be friendly? Or the question asked was not something that the man wanted to ask. A bored employee, then. She looked so very out-of-place here, though, dressed like a hobo in a girly store like this. Of course an employee would be wondering why she was there. Wanting to see who was talking to her, but not wanting to look up, Tweak searched for a metallic surface in her line of sight -- a sale sign frame, the rack in front of her, something reflective. Finally she found one and caught a glimpse of the man standing beside her who didn't seem inclined to leave. The TacOpSys took to analyzing the image.

Image analysis result: Non-employee. Motive for contact diminished.

More of a puzzle, then. Well, he called her "ma'am", so he didn't seem to know her. Tweak decided to ignore him. Maybe he would go away.

Within eyesight of Cassefin, Claire and Purina, both Tweak and Laj would also see two more figures approaching the threesome; one Marrisa Cranker, secondary CEO of Vinross Yu-Cranker and one Nell Sarahs, the Unique that Squad 35 had encountered not so long ago. The two women were dressed for pleasure rather than business, however, their state of dress and gussied-up appearances signifying a reason for being there other than what the Cirrus Station crew had seen them attend to beforehand.

Marrisa Cranker approached the group and clasped her hands together in delight. As if it were even possible, the CEO's elegant dress was perhaps even more stylish and expensive than Cassefin's own, her hair curled into flowing golden locks that bobbed in uniform as she halted before the two Cirrus administrators. "'Finny! Purina! It's been so long since I've seen you two together," Marrisa declared, smiling at the group as she eyes jumped between the two, falling on Claire and the others a number of times as well before setting back on Cassefin's red-hot glare and forcibly-faked smile.
Someone is talking to the administrator?

Vocal analysis: 87% probability of falsehood, 49% probability of malicious intent.

Another faker. Well, they knew Cassefin...but the possibility of "malicious intent" worried the 'Spacer neko, so Tweak ran the voice through her external memory cache.

Almost immediately two flags went up over "Cranker, Marrisa" and a moment later over "[unavailable]" as her tactical system went on full alert and noted that there had been a second set of movement beside the unseen speaker. What was going on? Tweak reached the end of the rack and went over to the next nearest one, keeping her back to Laj, who also had just been flagged.

Identified: Vinross Yu, Laj. Status: Threat. Action: No action available due to present location and collateral damage restrictions.

Relevant logs:
0328.200909.06 through 0709.200919.46 (specifically 0609.200923.39 through 0619.200922.50)
0513.201001.23 through 0904.201021.42 related.

Her shoulders tensed, hidden by her jacket, but Tweak never missed a beat as she continued her browsing. Her tactical system did, however, go into alert mode and begin actively tracking and monitoring everyone in the store.

Only Marrisa had 'seen' (through whatever means her armor/mech had given her during the station invasion) Tweak's face. All other times, it had been covered by opaque, one-way visors. All the same, Tweak remained cautious; if the machine had been recording then Miss Cranker could have distributed it. But why would she be hunted? Tweak wondered.

Code:
As the camouflaged neko bounded away, Marrisa chose not to pursue, instead watching every movement Tweak made with wide eyes and a coy grin. She *could* see Tweak...quite clearly, so it seemed.

"How...interesting..." Marrisa said [...]

The clip from her external memory cache played in a 'window' in her vision, audio/visual only so Tweak wouldn't "dive" into the memory, but enough for her to positively-identify Marrisa when the rival businesswoman greeted Cassefin. What should I do? This isn't an assignment, but what if they turn aggressive? It was possible, even with every record putting the Yu-Cranker's actions only where they would have immune to claims of wrongdoing. The pirate strike and the Bell Incident were both performed with plausible deniability...this place was too open for a confrontation like that, so there had to be something else.

There are more than physical ways to damage an enemy. And, as far as Tweak knew, there were at least two ways Marrisa Cranker could try to damage Cassefin Montreal.

These thoughts were considered within seconds. Meanwhile, Tweak found another skirt and held it up, looking it over before draping it over the dress already on her arm. The white would go well with the orange.

Without another word, Blake presented his selections to Odette sheepishly. He avoided looking back at Kokuten, remembering the little heel-tap as the universal symbol of a drill sergeant about to tear into him during training. His body tensed up and his face stiffened from a loose smile into a tight glaring shape, with the mouth perfectly straight. He had unintentionally brought himself to attention as a psychosomatic response to the heel-tap.

Memories of being chewed out by different superiors for dropping different balls crawled into his head and with each one, he was reminded of how terrible a soldier he had been. As if responding to the snapping fingers of a hypnotist, Blake shuddered and came back to reality in a quick snapping motion. His return was heralded by an endless stream of annoying noises coming from his mouth.

"Captain, please hold my items for me just a while, I'm going to go buy something other than this smelly uniform to run around in and maybe some art supplies, and I'm pretty sure I need a new journal, and I'd like to call my parents, and of course I can't forget to buy stuff especially for customizing my armor, now that we can do that, and I bet mine's gonna be the prettiest armor of all of them, and so I'll see you soon, please don't leave my stuff behind, it'll only take a little while, and besides...."

His voice could still be heard rambling on as he made his way out of the store, but Blake himself was nowhere to be seen within seconds.

Kokuten eyed Morris as he seemed to react strongly to the gentle reminder. The man's odd nature showed itself again, and the Captain had wondered if his verbal warning would've been enough. They weren't on duty, so he had no reason to truly follow it, but as a man, it was just natural in such a setting. For some reason, Morris reminded him of a less crazy Adrian.

"Captain, please hold my items for me just a while,
"Alright, I don't min--." Kokuten tried to reply amongst the stream of words.

"I'm going to go buy something other than this smelly uniform to run around in and maybe some art supplies,"
"That sou--."

"And I'm pretty sure I need a new journal,"
"You writ--?"

"And I'd like to call my parents,"
"Now's a goo--."

"And of course I can't forget to buy stuff especially for customizing my armor, now that we can do that, and I bet mine's gonna be the prettiest armor of all of them,"
"Well, you're very arti--."

"And so I'll see you soon, please don't leave my stuff behind,"
"Wait, you--?"

"It'll only take a little while, and besides...."
"... Noted."

That was when Blake trailed off and disappeared, leaving Kokuten and Odette in the cigar shop. Honestly, he wondered what went on in that man's mind sometimes, and upon thinking on that, perhaps he didn't want to get involved in such a... uniquely constructed subject. The Captain looked down at Blake's selection, and then back up at Odette.

"Don't mind Morris, he's got his thoughts on a lot of things. He's really quite a decent fellow, and a very skilled artist." commented Kokuten, chuckling a little bit at Blake's somewhat eccentric behavior.

Within what only seemed two minutes, almost as quickly as the echo of Blake's voice faded out, the sound of his footsteps were back with a high meter. The lights of the cigar store gleamed off of the sweat collected on Blake's head as he slid back into the store, looking like a new man. A quick dash past the high-dollar clothing store with 2000 DA had brought him a suit. It was a black, formal deal with a peaked lapel, a raised collar and shiny satin buttons all lined up in a row. Underneath, he wore a plain white shirt and a silky red tie. His uniform was bundled up under his arm. As an afterthought, he put his beret back on his head and smiled.

"Private Third Class Morris reporting for off-duty recreation."

"Ah... well," Laj spoke in a hushed tone, returning a single nod at Tweak's passive response. The Nepleslian sounded a tad disappointed with the disguised Neko's answer, although he didn't allow his expectations sully his good mood. Laj leaned in a small bit closer before speaking again, before casually beginning to walk past Tweak towards the other women of her small party. "Pick something nice, little miss, and try to have fun tonight. It's the grand opening, after all."

---

"Oh... Marrisa!" Purina exclaimed in surprise, nearly dropping the article of clothing in her hands as the fashionable blonde businesswoman made her appearance, along with her small entourage. Purina smiled as warmly as she could, a slight tinge of worry running along her brow line as she turned and approached Marrisa, offering the woman a welcoming hug of affection, which the CEO lightly accepting. On the other hand, Cassefin quickly replaced her scowl with a cleverly-concealed smile, obviously not as thrilled to see Marrisa as her pink-haired counterpart.

For the moment, however, it would seem the Vinross Yu-Cranker figureheads weren't there to immediately gun down the off-duty security team and their gussied-up employers. As Marrisa released herself from Purina's grasp, Nell Sarahs stood off to the side and watched, silent for the moment as she fiddled with the hems of her silvery evening dress. Marrisa turned her gaze between each of the individuals present, drawing in a deep breath and grinning smugly.

"It's so great to see you two together again... outside of business, of course," the blonde CEO stated, crossing her arms across her chest as she shifted her weight between her heeled feet. "I mean it's been, what, several years now? I thought you two were going to stay in touch."

Purina closed her eyes and rubbed at the back of her head in embarrassment. "Err, well... it's just been pretty busy. You know, me and Cassefin were out of work for a while until NAM commissioned us for the Cirrus Station," the pink-haired beauty attempted to explain as best as she could. Cassefin rolled her eyes at Purina's comment, however. "You were out of work, Popjoy, I had plenty of offers before Cirrus Station. I was just waiting for the right one." Purina merely laughed nervously in response.

"Ever the opportunist, eh Finny?" Marrisa added her own comment. "Some things never change, I suppose."

---

Odette returned an odd smile to Kokuten as she watched Blake leave, coupled with their strange exchange of words. "I'm sure he's... very talented," the raven-haired woman cleared her throat and remained silent for a short moment, her eyes trailing between Kokuten and other various tidbits littering the store. For all her manners, it was still readily apparent that she was anxious to present her purchase to its intended owner. "Well. Mr. Chiaki, I really do appreciate your help... and I suppose you also have a place to be..." Odette thanked the gentleman as he inquiry faded, giving him a short bow of gratitude.

"Oh, not really, but I should check on a few people. As you can see, the folks I associate with are never the most typical of persons. They also in a lot of trouble! Heh heh." Kokuten laughed a bit before looking out of the entrance. He threw a look back to her with a comfortable smile. "So, I'll bid you adieu, Miss. It was a pleasure to make your acquaintance, have a good day!" farewelled the Captain as he gave her a respectful bow, before stepping on out of the store, and off to find the others. In his pockets, were his hands, twirling around the blunts between his fingers.

Today has started pretty well. thought the Chiaki as he was on the move.

MoonMan said:
"Ah... well," Laj spoke in a hushed tone, returning a single nod at Tweak's passive response. The Nepleslian sounded a tad disappointed with the disguised Neko's answer, although he didn't allow his expectations sully his good mood. Laj leaned in a small bit closer before speaking again, before casually beginning to walk past Tweak towards the other women of her small party. "Pick something nice, little miss, and try to have fun tonight. It's the grand opening, after all."
"Thanks..." the 'Spacer neko replied in a distracted tone, flipping through more clothes as Laj walked away. She hazarded a glance over her shoulder when her senses placed him far enough away, then listened in on the conversation starting between the rival administrators as she wandered toward the checkout counter.

On her way to the counter, Tweak pondered what she aimed to do. There were a few problems: First, she didn't know how to pay. Second, she didn't know if she could pay. And third, she needed to get out of the store. If Marrisa Cranker really did aim to use Tweak to damage Cassefin, then it would be best for Tweak to help her employer have as much deniability as she could. And, if this had nothing to do with Tweak, then then hopefully the Cirrus Head Admin could handle it on her own.

"Are you checking out, miss?"

Tweak found herself standing at the checkout counter with a clerk staring at her in a dubious manner. "Yes!" she said rather suddenly, making herself jump. "Um...I...I'm with the Cirrus Research Station. Is there a way to find out if I have something to pay with?"

The clerk looked at her. Tweak guessed that the person was trying to decide whether to ask for a manager or play along. Finally a decision was reached. "Riiight...Well, assuming you have an account that you haven't had to use up to now--" Insert a pointed look at the neko, who nodded. "--then may I have your name, please?"

"Um..." Stupid paperless society, she couldn't write it down. And she didn't really want to say it...chalk it up to paranoia, but better safe than sorry, not with two people around who she didn't like. She settled for looking down and acting ashamed. "Tweak," she said in a small voice.

"Sorry?" The clerk frowned and leaned toward her.

Tweak made a quick estimate and guessed that the distance would allow her to say it at the same volume while letting the clerk hear it well enough to understand. "Tweak Three Seven."

That made the clerk back up a bit, wide eyes looking Tweak up and down and sniffing before muttering: "Shoulda guessed." The name was put into the computer and results returned. "You have a temporary account directly linked with Cirrus. It appears to be valid only there, but someone opened it up so you can make purchases in this hotel. Might want to get a datapad or card or something and validate that account if you plan on shopping anywhere else, though." The clerk ran Tweak's selections through and bagged them, then offering the bag to the neko while making an unnecessary show of staying as far as arm's reach would allow in the process. As Tweak took the bag, the clerk kept staring at her. "Hey...are you really radioactive?"

Radioactive? Oh, the Freespacers... "No-no-no...not really. I mean the--" Tweak stopped when the clerk backed up another step. After another moment of awkward silence, she turned and left the store.

"--...never seen the holograms do that--"

"I promise, that wasn't in their programming!"

Amid the distraction provided by a rather enraptured clientele and a single freaking-out computer tech (with a hologram-concealed hiding place for good measure), Tweak changed her clothes before she made her way outside the store and found herself with a bag of clothing, not all of it of her choosing. She now wore a hoodie, hood up and tied at her neck, that was a couple sizes too large and a pale shade of orange. She tried to find the flat grey one that she had thought she picked up, but somehow it had been switched out for another one.

The skirt was of the neko's choosing, though, and it was a compromise between what she wanted and what she hoped would meet with her companions' approval (more or less). It was just over her knees in length, and made of a moderately thick cloth which she chose for resistance to wear and the ability to keep its shape. If she couldn't wear pants, Tweak had been willing to settle for that. And, in the distraction caused by Cassefin's rivals showing up, at least she'd been able to keep her boots.

Tweak quickly headed out of the store while everyone wondered at the jellyfishs' performance of an ancient Nepleslian folk song (Ever heard a school of sea creatures belt out "tro-lo-lo"?). Keeping under the racks to stay out of sight until she reached the edge of the arrangements, she darted for the door and flopped against the wall to one side of the entrance. Her head drooped to her chest and she sighed.

Kokuten was glad to have finally managed to be on his way. He was ready to find a nice spot and relax for a while. Afterward, he'd probably scour the stores with a fresh mind, clear of whatever clutter the Cirrus caused him. As he rounded a small bench he put a little too much pressure on his leg, and felt a small amount of pain shoot up his side. He gave an awkward looking twitch that garnered the uneasy attention of some people walking around or away from him for about a second.

"Still not quite one hundred percent..." murmured Kokuten as he recovered his poise. Sometimes it wracked him to force a certain stance or form for the sake of a situation; with so many well-off people around, he had trouble focusing on anything, but somewhere to get away from such standards. This was a vacation, he didn't want to look or feel important.

As he continued on, finally feeling the eyes others off him from his strange little episode, he stepped by a clothing store. Upon noticing some of the fashions on display, he remembered Purina and Claire wanting to lead a group into a store like this. Perhaps, he thought, he could find them in there; the store itself did not seem his type, so he felt somewhat uncomfortable just marching in. As he mumbled possible solutions to himself, the soldier's eyes began to change colors, as if working as a screen saver while the computer processed in the back ground.

One of those eyes, stopped for a moment, catching sight of a rather inconspicuous, yet pale looking girl off to the side of the entrance. She had her head hanging down, with a bag in her hands. The young lady reminded him, rather vividly, of Tweak, but he did not want to be rude by mistaking her for someone else, so he returned to his thoughts.

More or less closing herself off from the sounds of passing people while she tried to relax, Tweak watched the ground from under the edge of her hood. The hood was tightened, but not quite cinched, so it still obscured her face. But she was able to watch the shoes of everyone walking past. They were interesting to watch, she realized, unlike faces. Somehow, watching without being watched was a bit calming. Flats, sneakers, loafers, more heels...sandals? The flip-flops were surprising; it didn't seem like those would be permitted.

She watched the feet pass by for a while, then noticed a pair of familiar wingtip shoes pause in front of her, then start to go into the store. Looking up, Tweak saw Kokuten walk by. She blinked, then opened her mouth to say something.

"Be careful..." It was a whisper, she almost didn't say anything because she couldn't think of anything to say. She said what she did because, having started, she needed to say something. The warning was the only other thing she could think of. The neko started to turn back to lean against the wall again, or maybe turn to walk away, but she found herself face-to-chest with a rather large ID-SOL that had walked into the path she intended to take. Squeaking in surprise, she dropped her bag and the ID-SOL stumbled, nearly tripping over the sudden obstacle while trying to dodge Tweak. He finally tumbled and Tweak clinched her eyes shut, covering her mouth in horror.

"Sorrysorrysorry, sososo sorry...!"

"Eh...?" mumbled Kokuten as he looked in the direction of a strange sound. It was quiet, something like a strange breath... a whisper? He looked at the young woman that had seemingly concealed her face, who was also turning off. "Excuse m--...?" started Kokuten before the catastrophe happened before him. An ID-SOL, rather large, and not Stovaa. The Doctor held up his hands. "Ah, are--...?"

The ID-SOL rolled, but recovered and managed to turn it into a tumble that landed him back on his feet, sending people dodging in all directions. Recovering his balance, the man looked back to see what had tripped him up, a dull look of anger in his eyes. "Hey! You push her?" he growled at Kokuten.

Tweak was still frozen, but peeked out when she heard the ID-SOL's accusation. Push who? "Wait, no! I-I-I...it was my fault!" she said, starting to wave her hands to stop him from taking it out on whoever he was glaring at. She glanced over and saw Kokuten doing the same thing, minus the waving. Something struck her about that as funny, but she was too nervous (fortunately) to laugh. The ID-SOL probably would not have taken kindly to that.

"I did not." said Kokuten calmly, though his widened whitish-green eyes betrayed him. While he had an arm that had the capability of throwing around one thousand pounds of weight, ID-SOL's usually had two that did more. He pointed over at the young girl, who had tried to apologize. He forced a smile, trying to be as consoling as possible, "From what I saw, you walked straight into her, with little concern whatsoever. In actuality, you pushed her. Which means you should probably apologize to the young lady, instead of throwing around your own frustration." The man could've worded that better, but he wasn't quite in the right element to be intimidating.

"Eh~?!" Tweak turned to Kokuten, then back at the ID-SOL. "No, I--"

The ID-SOL stepped forward. Then he looked at Tweak. He seemed conflicted...either Kokuten was right, and he lets the little man get away with talking to him like that, or the girl was right and he should just leave...And were the two together? Even with the hoodie, she was a cute thing...but beating up her boyfriend probably wouldn't work. It'd just gotten him slapped and lonely when he tried it before. The ID-SOL finally just grunted and went on his way.

The Freespacer neko slowly lowered her arms, wondering what happened. Then she remembered her bag of stuff and quickly knelt to start packing it back in the shopping bag before it got walked on. Without an angered giant nearby, the crowds were beginning to close around the spilled merchandise.

Kokuten sighed in relief, narrowly avoiding a concrete fist to the face from an intimidating stranger. He watched the man walk off with one eye, before returning both on the rather quiet young lady. Before he could offer his help, people were already stepping by as she hastily tried to gather her clothes. So instead of just asking, he got on his knees and assisted her, just narrowly grabbing two articles of clothing before they got fresh shoe patterns pressed into them. When he had successfully gathered a few, he presented his gatherings to her with a bit of a nervous smile.

"Need a little help, miss?" Kokuten chuckled, trying to break the awkward air.

Tweak gathered the articles closer to her, out of foot-traffic, then quickly folded and stacked them back in the bag. She tilted her head a bit to see what Kokuten was holding and nodded. "Sure-sure-..." She stopped, calmed herself, then tried again. "Thank you, sir," she said, referring to Kokuten as her commander while taking the clothes off his hands and putting them away, then standing and brushing off her skirt as the bag's handles rested over one of her wrists, then looking up at him.

"It was no problem!" replied Kokuten, holding his hand, revealing the small blue conduit in the palm. "I was just wor--..." His eyes clacked, blinking in a certain realization. He recognized that voice, one of his squadmates and friends. He stood and brushed his knees off, and decided that if he was wrong, that the sort of situation wouldn't make it such a faux pas. "Tweak? Is that you?"

"Mm-hm." Tweak nodded with an embarrassed smile, then looked down and back up at him. "Oh yeah...um...Claire, Popjoy, and..." She lost her train of thought, aborted the sentence, then just said the next thing that came to mind: "Do you like it?"

"..." Kokuten blinked again, a few clacks audible even amongst the crowd. She had twisted that sentence in a strange way the distracted him enough to spend few second contemplating it. Though, he quickly looked her up and down, and fully grasped the sort of clothing she was wearing now. It was clean, conservative, and rather cute on her, especially with how she tried to hide under the hood.

The Doctor let out a short chuckle and smiled, "I like it! It looks very good on you. The hood's a smart choice, too." With that, he looked down at her skirt, he grabbed his chin, "Very functional, and very different from what you stepped off the shuttle with." He let loose of chin and crossed his arms, giving Tweak a discerning look, smile withstanding. "I think you look cute!"

Maybe she shouldn't have asked that question...Tweak felt a little odd being looked at. She tried to be invisible so much that, short of activating her cloak, she had avoided attention most of the time. What she got was mostly conversation, which was alright with her. But being examined...

At the same time, Kokuten was complimenting her. "Thank you, sir," Tweak replied, her eyes flicking down as she wanted to look down but not be rude by not looking at him when he was talking. And he was her superior officer. It was disrespectful.

Then she remembered why she was out of the store. The neko looked around, trying to find somewhere to go, away from Purina's need to fix her style. Oh, and away from Laj Vinross and Marissa Cranker. Why were they secondary to getting away from Purina? She didn't spend much thought on that. "So..." Why could she never talk when it was urgent! In battle, she was fine, but put her in a social setting and her mouth clamped up like an airlock seal! Tweak finally just grabbed Kokuten's wrist and pulled him along, away from the store and in the opposite direction that the ID-SOL had gone.

>>PAUSE

>>RESUME

"Somewhere, somewhere, somewhere..." Tweak murmured. The map to the station that she was shown earlier was pulled up and a flagged location flickered up ahead. Ahead, in a general sense of the word. Did she want to go there? Wait, why was she pulling him along? "Oh, um..." She slowed, allowing him to catch up so she wasn't dragging him with her. "Someone is talking with Administrator Montreal right now."

Kokuten had kept a steady pace, but tried to look as little hurried as possible so the two of them wouldn't attract the attention of any wary figures. The way she was hustling, it seemed she was highly distressed, or perhaps frightened? Tweak seemed skittish like that. By the time they had slowed down, the Captain had pulled out one of his Rueben cigars, and opened the film around it by sliding it down the sides as he pressed the cigar's tip against him, like one would remove paper covering off of a straw.

"Is that so? Are we going that way?" asked the Chiaki, having little inkling of which direction Cassefin was. His arm began to buzz as a charge built on the contact pad in his palm. "Because, no offense to the Head Administrator, but I'd prefer somewhere less..." He paused to bring his palm to the tip of the cigar, and lit it from the heat of the electricity coursing through the contact pad. He gave a puff or two before finishing, "... Oppressive."

Tweak shook her head. "No...away. Definitely going away," she said, watching the floor.

"Sounds fine by me." said Kokuten, his tone becoming relaxed now, and the cigar bobbing up and down with each word. He made no effort to loosen his hand, since the Freespacer-Neko would likely notice she was still leading him around. So, by his reasoning, there was a reason why she was handling him in such a way. "Though, if you don't mind my asking," he puffed, "Is there a specific place you're taking us?"

The neko slowed a bit. That gave the smoke trailing behind Kokuten time to catch up and her nose crinkled at the smell. She glanced up at him, noting the fresh-lit cigar. "Not really," she said, looking back down and speeding up to the previous pace. "You don't have to go if you don't want to."

"Why not? I rather enjoy your company." smiled Kokuten as he stuffed his hanging hand into his side pocket. He looked around at the surrounding scenery, taking in the extensive decor and frill of the establishment. "Morris zipped off in a flash, and left me in the Cigar Shop." he explained matching Tweak's pace despite their difference in height, "I thought I would be lost in a sea of people for sure! Walking this large place by myself until dinner. So, it was nice to meet a friendly face, especially yours."

"Oh..." The blinking location kept drawing Tweak's attention. Should she tell him who was talking to Montreal? Would he want to go back there? Would it help or hurt the situation? "The store wasn't oppressive...it was very nice," she mused aloud, recalling what Kokuten had said a while ago. He was her superior officer, he needed to know the situation. But they were both off-duty too, so did that still apply? "Would you want to know about possible problems even if you are off-duty?" Tweak finally asked, looking back up at Kokuten, her Tactical system absently tracing the path of the smoke as she did.

"Mmm?" sounded the tailing Chiaki. Tweak's question was a little out of the blue to him. In fact, it sounded in appropriate enough for a specific reason. Though, he knew better than to upset her by asking more questions. Besides! It was their vacation time, no need to worry. "Well, as a doctor, I would have to say yes, because it could mean someones life. As a soldier, I would have to say no, because things are hard enough to warrant me a relaxing shore leave." explained Kokuten as he brought a surgically adept hand to his chin, "So, only if it was important. I don't like to neglect intrinsic details."

Was it important? They weren't to be trusted, to be sure, but Tweak remembered her previous conclusion. She sighed. "It isn't...just worrisome." The flagged location was in sight now.

Kokuten ran his hand from his jaw to his chin before sighing, letting loose a big plume of smoke. He put his hand in his pocket and thought about it for a mere second before asking the question, "Well, is something worrying you? If so, feel free to tell me. It's best to get these sort of things off your mind."

There was a faint thumping somewhere nearby. She would have a better idea of which direction it was coming from if she could uncover her ears. Tweak ignored it and shrugged. "Why would the CEOs of Vinross Yu-Cranker be here?" she said. The thumping was either above or below them. Probably below. And that would match what she was seeing.

Following that declaration was stop in Kokuten's footsteps. Tweak would feel him act as an anchor to her movement, his hand still stayed in hers, but still he moved no further.

"Vinross." said Kokuten simply, taking a deep breath before exhaling the air. "They're probably here to enjoy the hotel like we are. That, or aggravate the Head Administrator, she seems to invite that sort of pressure. I highly doubt that such prominent figures would attempt anything with so many people around. Especially being planetside." reasoned the competent soldier. He picked up his pace again moving up next to Tweak rather than behind her. "I appreciate you telling me this definitely something I'd like to keep in mind, just in case."

The sudden stop was a surprise. She had forgotten that she was still holding his hand. Her grip loosened and almost let go. When the distracted medic didn't loosen his, Tweak looked at their hands. She quickly looked forward again and adjusted her hand a bit before holding his again, this time without the "come with me if you want to live" grip she'd had on it to start.

When Kokuten came out of his reverie and explained his view of the Administrator situation, the 'Spacer neko smiled in her usual subdued version of the expression. That was what she had thought, and hearing someone else arrive at that conclusion too was comforting. Or at least a little relieving.

"Alright. Alright..." She looked around and, trying to ignore the people, translated the two-dimensional map she had in mind to an augmented-reality view of the area. This floor was aquatic-themed. What were the others? Would they only sell seafood if they had a grocery store here? she wondered, then spotted a patch of ultraviolet light. That was everywhere in some form or another, of course, but not in that concentration. Tugging Kokuten along, Tweak locked onto the patch and everyone in the crowd faded into outlined shapes that she wove through to get to the location.

She seemed almost like a hunting dog that had spotted her mark. When she set off, Kokuten knew he would have to keep pace. He tried to look on ahead to see what they were approaching, but couldn't quite gather a reasonable conclusion. "Ah, Tweak, did you see something?" he asked also navigating and dodging people as they went. He motioned his cigar around in his mouth to avoid it sticking into someone's eye, knowing that that would be a painful experience for anyone.

The exterior to the particular place appeared as if the walls of the corridor had blended with a cave. Raw, unhewn rock formed a wide tunnel that acted as a doorway into a dark passage that was pocketed with lights. Only two things gave it away as a club and not a problem with the building, the guards standing in front. One was the obligatory super-large ID-SOL, and the other was not. Probably a high-conversion cyborg, but based on normal Nepleslian stock.

Tweak didn't even give the bouncers a second look as she stopped in front of the doorway and stared inside. The stone appeared porous, likely fake...hm? Tweak blinked in amusement when her TacOps returned that it was a very, very...close replica. So close, it may as well be stone. That's the sign of wealth, she thought. "Spent more money on getting an accurate fake than using the real thing."

The UV was from the blacklight emissions coming from crystalline formations embedded in the stone. Tweak's head tilting in fascination, she wandered inside. The thumping she had felt through the floor wasn't coming from here, or they had changed the song by now. But there was music inside. The neko's eyes didn't show any external signs, but her vision modes shifted to deal with the low-light conditions. Other than the black-light crystals, the hollows in the stone held some sort of bio-luminescent material that gave off just enough in the visible spectrum that unaugmented vision could avoid running into things or people, but who had unaugmented vision these days?

"Wanting to go in there?" asked Kokuten, before activating his own low-light vision and staring inside. He didn't visit many clubs in his times, and as a matter of fact, hadn't been to one since before he joined the military. "Never figured you one for clubbing!" said the man, before switching the low-light off and then looked over at the two burly looking men working as bouncers for the place. "Can we even go inside?"

The bouncers didn't stop either of them when she passed them, so apparently they were allowed. One of them touched the side of his head as they went by.

So that's how they did it...Instead of the rather over-done version of an undersea party, this had gone deeper. Deep-sea graphics and holographics were present, but not densely-so. The ceiling was hidden by a projection of a shimmering surface as if seen at a great distance, like being on the edge of the total darkness of an ocean floor.

The music was somewhat up-beat, a mix of electronic, a drum loop, and violins at the time Tweak and Kokuten went in. Tweak's hand loosened on Kokuten's again as she wandered inside, keeping to the wall instead of heading into the dance crowd. It wasn't all that crowded, though, since it was still sometime before evening. Tweak switched through a few modes, admiring the non-visible lasers that flickered from place to place, then settled on standard mode. This was good...

Kokuten's eyes looked around as Tweak's did, also taking in the rather pricey looking decor. Coming from a decent amount of money himself, he knew the amount of DA it took to put down architecture like that. With each color that seemed to flash, his eyes seemed to match the color by seamlessly matching it in successive fades ins and outs. As Tweak finally seemed to loosen up her grip, Kokuten let his hand slip loose and allowed himself to move himself around freely.

"It does seem a little early to be coming to a place like this. There's barely anyone here!" said Kokuten aloud, though, the words he spoke gave him a realization. "Or, is that the point?"

>>PAUSE

There was a noise amongst the holographic fish floating haphazardly through the air, and a familiar figure could be seen approaching in a cloud of smoke. Blake Morris approached them with a stern look on his face. His eyes were bloodshot, but he was still dressed imaculaely in his new clothes. He spoke plainly and slowly to the two of them.

"Oh... Captain, and uh... Tweak?" He said, a scowl forming as he stumbled over Tweak's name, "I went back to the cigar shop to find you, Captain. You were not there. I came here to paint. These fish are all magnificent. But I do not have any... familiarity with them. I know you guys, though. I could paint you."

The bald young man adjusted his suit and looked around for a moment before continuing, "What're you guys doing here, anyways?"

"Oh! Morris! I thought I'd run by you at one point." said Kokuten, not beginning with the explanation he was asked for. The doctor reached into his pocket and pulled out the voodooesque smokes that the odd man had wanted to purchase earlier. "I held on to your items here." He said, looking back at Tweak, and then Blake. "We decided to head elsewhere when a few of Cassefin's old friends showed up. It seems Tweak likes the bass here."

Kokuten brought a hand to his mouth, pinching on the cigar nestled between his lips and exhaling a bit of smoke. He seemed to take in the atmosphere before coming to a start, blinking. "What about painting us?"

As he approached, Morris bloomed with a blue aura in Tweak's vision that turned green and faded away as her TacSys identified him. She absently wondered if he was intoxicated (or some similar effect, if she read the symptoms right). A school of fish featuring glowing lateral lines slipped by, their light refracting in the cloud of smoke.

Lam said:
"Oh... Captain, and uh... Tweak?" He said, a scowl forming as he stumbled over Tweak's name, "I went back to the cigar shop to find you, Captain. You were not there. I came here to paint. These fish are all magnificent. But I do not have any... familiarity with them. I know you guys, though. I could paint you."

The bald young man adjusted his suit and looked around for a moment before continuing, "What're you guys doing here, anyways?"
The 'Spacer neko backed up a step, trying to be discrete about avoiding the smoke. Nevermind that the substances within wouldn't harm or affect her, she just didn't like the smell in that heavy of a concentration. Though, whatever Morris was having must have improved his low-light vision some...yeah, that was it. How else had he identified her when she was wearing different clothes and was in a poorly-lit area? It was easy to ID Kokuten in any light...maybe Morris assumed it was her by association?

Ignoring the holes in her theory and letting Kokuten deal with answering the odd (pot, kettle; kettle, pot) squadmate's questions, Tweak continued wandering along the wall, resuming her appreciation of the music.

Kokuten said:
"[...] It seems Tweak likes the bass here."
A miniature deep sea bass looped around her before swimming off into the darkness of the club. The neko batted at its tail as it passed by, then slumped into a corner.

The establishment seemed to push ambiance over accuracy with their projections, she noticed. Casualfish, which were usually in tidal areas, mixed in with deep-sea species like a cute angler fish and some Yamataian vampire squid while the lighting and decor seemed to be styled like a reef or stone formation on the upper edge of an oceanic Aphotic Zone where daylight was reduced to only a thin veil and bioluminescence of various species (the ones that were supposed to be there, that is) took over.

Tweak sat hugging her knees to her chest and resting her chin on her knees. Through the thin cloth of the hoodie's hood, a circle of multicolored lights began to twinkle with an occasional yellow or green glow cast down from under the edge of the hood onto her face. Apparently her hat was on under there, and she had turned on the LEDs. She seemed peaceful, watching a school of glow fish swim in patterned circles near the hologram-shrouded ceiling.

"Well... it's a simple matter, Captain." Morris turned briefly to pull his easel over from the shadows and slide it between himself and the other two. A myriad of fish were already present on the canvas. Some were floating around with another fish in their mouths; others were somehow breathing fire. He started with Tweak as just a shadow in the corner of his canvas. The strokes went down quickly yet precisely. He extended a line of paint to represent the floor; interrupting it to begin work on Kokuten's lower half. As he formed out Kokuten's torso he began to speak.

"Captain, did that cigar-store lady say anything about... uh, what she does for money. She looked so well-dressed and spoke so...eloquently. Do you think she might have been a... 'Unique'?"

Blake looked up sternly from his canvas. Not because he was trying to be dramatic, but because he was trying to keep a straight face. The Black Magic was burning slowly at 'halfway-smoked' on a nearby ashtray and it was at this time that Blake chose to sample it further. His voice came a little deep the next time he spoke, smoke wisping from between his lips. "We are still on Fortuna after all."

Kokuten chuckled at Morris' suggestion. At the same time he tried to hold a still pose for the portrait. Even so, he spared a moment to look back at Tweak, to see her gazing at the aesthetic eye-food that the area seemed so apt to use. The Doctor-Soldier turned his head back to Blake, and took a puff of his cigar.

"Now, Morris, whilst I can understand such considerations, but I highly doubt Miss Odette was a Unique. She was a regal sort, and she carried herself as such. If you recall Miss Nell, she was more of a normal Nepleslian Citizen, she carried herself with a certain trained readiness that would be noticed even in the most common situation. Even I, who was born and bred through money, carry the weight of my Marine training even now. As hard as I try to hide it, the subtleties of a capable fighter always show." Kokuten leveled a stare onto Blake, studying him as the artist studied his posture. "Simply enough, a well-dressed woman does not mean she's a normally-dressed Unique. Even if she was I wouldn't worry. They're all out of armor, and on equal standing with should they try something."

He took another puff of his cigar and sighed the rest of the smoke out.

"Besides, I'm pretty sure that they'd be here to relax more than anything. Even the bad guys need to take break once in a while."

"I'm not worried. If anything, I'd uh... be more excited to meet her if I knew she was one. Wait, one? Yes, of the Uniques, that is! Right!" The young Nepleslian replied. He cricked his neck to one side before throwing down another swatch of paint for Kokuten's neck. There were a few more strokes in time with the pounding music and a face began to form on the canvas.

"Besides," Blake continued, "She said she had a boyfriend. It's hard to imagine what kind of man that strong women like the Uniques would be willing to associate with romantically. I imagine that such men are equally strong and equally beautiful; and possibly even equally stylish... Kinda like you Captain."

Blake smiled and lifted his paintbrush again, forming the lines of Kokuten's eyes on his canvas. This was his favorite part of the picture. He'd been waiting to paint the eyes all day. So expressive, yet so mechanical. Prosthetic was such a cold term for them to Blake; who found them fascinating and beautiful.

"Say, Captain," he asked as he stopped to take another hit from his Black Magic, "Do you make them change color consciously, or is it something that just kinda happens? Uh, I was referring, of course... to your... um... what's the word again? Your EYES! Yes, can you make them change color at command? If so, can you make one of them one color and the other brother another color? Boy that sure was a fun question to ask... 'other brother another color'... Heh."

"I... well... Thank you, Morris." said Kokuten with an awkward grin on his face. For some reason, the compliments made him feel a little uncomfortable when paired with Blakes's odd, inspecting stare. Though, what made him think more was the idea of pairing himself with a Unique. While beautiful, tactical, and strong, the group of warrior women were not first on Kokuten's list of dates. Wait, was that last comment a subtle sugges--

"Say, Captain," he asked as he stopped to take another hit from his Black Magic, "Do you make them change color consciously, or is it something that just kinda happens? Uh, I was referring, of course... to your... um... what's the word again? Your EYES! Yes, can you make them change color at command? If so, can you make one of them one color and the other brother another color? Boy that sure was a fun question to ask... 'other brother another color'... Heh."

Once again, an odd request from the equally odd squad member. Morris was on a roll today, but Kokuten was not one to be deterred by such behavior. In fact, it was what made Blake rather interesting as an individual, if not strangely attuned to his senses.

"When I'm not consciously minding them, the eyes react to the various chemical levels in my brain to produce a color. Generally I'm a calm, neutral sort, so my eyes are mostly green. Though, since you asked..." said Kokuten, before one his eyes turned blue, "I would happy to oblige."

The one song moved into the next at the whim of the audio engineering artist on the stage while some of the bioluminescent materials in the decor and lighting began to flash or pulse according to some unknown stimuli. Tweak watched them for a while, her head bobbing from side to side with the beat. After a bit, though, she finally stood up and closed her eyes. Her mind had already broken down the music, setting up a rudimentary choreography, but she didn't use it when she finally started moving. Standing next to the wall, she simply swayed, her pale orange hoodie sweater glowing faintly as an ambient UV light passed over her.

Was there ever music on Cirrus? Tweak couldn't remember. She didn't run a search through her memories, though...that was a distraction, and she just wanted to enjoy what she was listening to now. Another distraction, though, was Morris. She noticed the easel and guessed what he was doing, hoping he was just drawing or painting a picture of Kokuten. But the line-of-sight wasn't quite matching up. The LEDs around Tweak's head under her hood gradually dimmed until they had gone out before she began moving out toward the dance floor (and hopefully out of frame for Blake's painting).

Blake's jaw dropped at the spectacle of Kokuten's eye-crobatics. A large grin crawled across his face as the strokes of the brush hurried over the canvas. He didn't say anything but simply giggled to himself as his brush formed out the shapes of the eyes, with new additions. The blue one had wisps of smoke curling off of it with one of the nearby fish inhaling a sample. The green one stretched out a series of vines across and around Kokuten's face, with a miniature plesiosaur happily munching away at their leaves. Blake touched up the face around the eyes and added detail to the features. Lips became fuller, skin became textured.

After a moment of feverish painting; he paused. "Where's Tweak gone?" He asked, craning his head in the darkness to see her. "All I have for her is... this, uh... This shadow." The young man pointed the stick-end of his brush at the silhouette of Tweak sitting in the corner of his canvas, her legs pulled up to her chest. He supplied himself with another sample of his Black Magic before searching for his drink.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back