Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

OOC Eucharis Discussion

Can I say that the current situation is getting very, very intense?

Because it's getting very, very intense.

(PS: Apparently I've posted in this thread before, but I don't remember it!)

Kyle: Sure, you can start another thread for the away team.

Luca: Indeed, it's thrilling! It'll be great when Eucharis picks up the away team and they can swap stories with each other. "So, anything interesting happen with your team?"

OOC Note: Hanako's claim here is invalid;

"Besides, we got the evidence we needed with our scans. We will see how the eyes of the universe judge the Lorath when they find out what happened up here."

There is no conclusive evidence, the Lorath have had the better part of two years to clean up, after already scouring the area of pretty much everything of value in their initial bombardments. The most that can be deduced is that there was some sort of event, but, nothing conclusive that could even begin to indicate signs of what actually went down.

Now, if Hanako wants to fling blind accusations without anything to base them on, that is fine too.

DocTomoe said:
Now, if Hanako wants to fling blind accusations without anything to base them on, that is fine too.
You know, that wouldn't be out of character for her if the Lorath are involved...

Just as it seemed that the streaks would touch-down... there were flashes brighter than the star in which the planet circled. There were surges of wind and heat which tore away the last signs of civilization from the planet's surface. It was a nuclear holocaust which was so devastating, it caused the temperature of the entire planet to climb to the point where every last bit of water on the planet boiled away... but soon, the temperature cooled, and mists of radiation laced vapor swirled through the atmosphere.

There was one more step, and it was handled by flights of Hawk Fighter-Bombers. Massive torpedoes were dropped into the planetary atmosphere. Upon reaching the surface, they detonated, they detonated with the spectacular force of thousands of the atomic weapons used before. Antimatter was introduced to matter, and when the two forces collided, the planet was shaken to the very core. Tectonic plates split, lava gushed to the surface, entire mountainsides became flows of molten slag, and every last insurgent, even those secluded in the most stalwart of bunkers found themselves facing annihilation as the entire crust of the planet was liquefied

First, what planetary scale Terraforming systems do the Lorath have? They vaporized all the water, with the shear heat, pretty much made it Venus like.

The second one, two years that planet would still be pretty much lifeless and tectonically volatile. The surface would take a long time to even cool enough to try to do anything on them.

And then there is the reason, why would the Lorath bother terraforming two planets that they went to such extremes to destroy. From their perspective wouldn't they serve better as a reminder of what will happen if someone tries to rebel again?

Nashoba said:
Just as it seemed that the streaks would touch-down... there were flashes brighter than the star in which the planet circled. There were surges of wind and heat which tore away the last signs of civilization from the planet's surface. It was a nuclear holocaust which was so devastating, it caused the temperature of the entire planet to climb to the point where every last bit of water on the planet boiled away... but soon, the temperature cooled, and mists of radiation laced vapor swirled through the atmosphere.

There was one more step, and it was handled by flights of Hawk Fighter-Bombers. Massive torpedoes were dropped into the planetary atmosphere. Upon reaching the surface, they detonated, they detonated with the spectacular force of thousands of the atomic weapons used before. Antimatter was introduced to matter, and when the two forces collided, the planet was shaken to the very core. Tectonic plates split, lava gushed to the surface, entire mountainsides became flows of molten slag, and every last insurgent, even those secluded in the most stalwart of bunkers found themselves facing annihilation as the entire crust of the planet was liquefied

First, what planetary scale Terraforming systems do the Lorath have? They vaporized all the water, with the shear heat, pretty much made it Venus like.

The second one, two years that planet would still be pretty much lifeless and tectonically volatile. The surface would take a long time to even cool enough to try to do anything on them.

And then there is the reason, why would the Lorath bother terraforming two planets that they went to such extremes to destroy. From their perspective wouldn't they serve better as a reminder of what will happen if someone tries to rebel again?

First, the Lorath have planetary terraforming systems capable of stabilizing their home world after a moon impact. However, yes, there are still very minor traces of what happened, just enough to raise an eyebrow, and perhaps spawn a genuine investigation and not just a fly-by "I see everything!" gig.

Second, simple, because no one is supposed to know what happened. It was one of the few distinctively covert operations which the Matriarchy has undertaken, and the reason why they went through such lengths was due to wishing to preserve public opinion within the then stable United Outer Colonies.

First, the Lorath have planetary terraforming systems capable of stabilizing their home world after a moon impact

Except that there is no mention in the wiki of Lorath having that level of advanced terraforming technology, I think that's one of the issues here. Basic terraforming tech is something everyone possesses; but you're talking about a level of technology that can completely clean a planet after it's been bombarded multiple times with everything wiped away.

And, the problem is that, even if the Lorath had been rather meticulas in wiping away evidence there would still be something left that could point to what transpired.

It takes longer than 'two' years for a planet to recover from such terrifying enviromental damage even with advanced terraforming technology because the level of enviromental damage would be extreme on the order of several magnitudes.

I'm sorry, I know this really sucks.

"During a conflict between the Mishhuvurthyar and Yamatai, one of the volcanic moons orbiting the gas giant of the Lor system was then dropped on the surface of the Lorath home world, thus altering the surface into a smoldering heap of volcanic rock, glass, and a rapidly changing eco-system."

That is the last comment about Lor from the Wiki, which basically since there is nothing canon about the terraform effort, Lor is still that way.

*raises hand* That was my fault: I'm the one whom made Melisson do that.

Though, the 1st XF's strategic strike pool went through a lot of effort to blast that moon down to size so that the chunks would mostly burn up in the atmosphere.

I always felt that it was made a bigger deal by DocTomoe to give the Lorath something to be drama queens about, and then once convenient it all magically disappeared... along with their world somehow teleporting from the southern nebula.

Here's a map of the NMX facility past the reception desk. There may be some occupants. Note: Your characters don't have a map.

Remember to say when you want to open a door, don't assume it will open.

Attachments

• Facility.webp
    Facility.webp
    693.5 KB · Views: 130
Nashoba said:
"During a conflict between the Mishhuvurthyar and Yamatai, one of the volcanic moons orbiting the gas giant of the Lor system was then dropped on the surface of the Lorath home world, thus altering the surface into a smoldering heap of volcanic rock, glass, and a rapidly changing eco-system."

That is the last comment about Lor from the Wiki, which basically since there is nothing canon about the terraform effort, Lor is still that way.

Yeah, well, I never even knew we had art for the system until now. I did not edit that article to indicate those changes, and RP has indicated otherwise as well. Yes, my record keeping sucks ass.

Additionally, Kyle, it has been previously stated that faction managers and GMs are able to produce technology to suit a given plot if required so long as no major changes to the setting take place through such an action. At the time, which was literally two years ago, there was no expectation for anyone to go back there and do any of these things which are going on. When I say the Lorath wiped things clean, they wiped things clean, that was my decision as faction manager, and it was given the nod way back then as A-OK.

If anyone wants to squabble over it, I'll beat the situation over the head with more reverse engineered technology. I'll throw old QnC technology and reverse engineered Yamataian technology at it. Nanoscopic and Femtoscopic machines which would literally be able to reconfigure the molecular and atomic structures of matter on those worlds. That's my decision as an FM, which I considered to be a solid conclusion at the time, and still do.

Fred said:
Is the Eucharis OoC thread really the best place to discuss this, though?

Seriously, guys, less OoC, more RP.

It's where it is happening, but it could take place elsewhere.

Can I get a post from all the away team people in the new away team thread? I would like to pick up the pace for your side of the mission.

I almost made a post in this forum instead of the Byakuren earlier out of habit. I've been a part of the Eucharis plot so long that I click to it in my sleep -_- I still read the RP going on over here. It's great.

Miss you too, Konoka. :)

- - -

Hanako has gone to the wardroom for snacks and to meet with the Occhestian dudes we brought along.

Thanks I am :)
(Tom has made a character called Akiko equally as hyper as Konoka over there. I got a contact sugar high just reading their conversation together lol)
Have fun with the Gartagens and Lorath, guys. I envy the inter species RP you've got going on right now.

Everyone on the ship has missed their posting deadline, so just I assumed Hanako was monitoring communications rather than expecting an update from the bridge. Remember: 1 or more posts every 2 days.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back