Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

OOC Eucharis Discussion

Italics are usually for thoughts or telepathy in SARP. When I first read Riko's latest post I thought he was trying to talk to her with telepathy despite her being a Nepleslian!

Also, I noticed Sune didn't administer any painkillers. Ouch!

I just realized something here, which I can retcon if necessary. What language is the team speaking in? The way I have Sienna written, her primary language is Nepleslian, and her knowledge of Yamataian is rudimentary at best.

It's early enough that I can hand wave this and make it so that she's more fluent in Yamataian, though not as comfortable with it as her native language, if it will make things simpler.

Most of us, if not all, are fluent in both languages. If you approached with Nepleslian, you received replies in Nepleslian. That's what I would go by at least.

OK, then I can keep her as she is and presume that the recent conversation has been in Nepleslian? I would imagine her Yamataian could be improved with practice in the future, if she's regularly exposed to it.

If this is the assumption, how should we handle Riko's question in Nepleslian?

When in doubt, I always assume everyone's speaking in Trade (English) since it's the most common language in the SARPiverse. Unless we're on planet Yamatai where Yamataian (Japanese) is the norm.

Fact of the day: Most signs on Star Army ships are bilingual.

For Riko's question, I'd treat it as a normal post.

Ah, I forgot that "English"/Trade is an option. I suppose that renders my concern moot, then. Thanks for clarifying.

We now return you to our regularly scheduled programming... :)

Just to be clear, "Nepleslian" is the same as Trade.

Wes said:
Also, I noticed Sune didn't administer any painkillers. Ouch!

Nashoba said:
He took off his AMES gloves and pulled on a pair of surgical gloves. He gave Bors a local pain killer in the area around the worst injury. He daubed iodine around the wound and pulled out the tools he would need.

I don't think he gave him anything else to help him walk around, but at least the actual surgery wasn't too bad.

Wes said:
Italics are usually for thoughts or telepathy in SARP. When I first read Riko's latest post I thought he was trying to talk to her with telepathy despite her being a Nepleslian!

My mistake on that... what trying to make sure that it would be recognized as non Yamataian

Awesome John said:
SHOWING us things gives us options and lets us participate in the story. TELLING us things limits our options and satisfaction.
The quote above is something I agree with and I want to kind of build that into the RP.

What do you guys think of us trying to write our characters dialogue and action without getting into their thoughts? What your character is thinking isn't something the other characters can see and we can't act on it.

I totally agree. I started off trying to do that very thing, actually. Interacting with a character who may appear to be doing something for one reason may have an entirely different reason for it in reality, and we, the readers, probably shouldn't have an omniscient insight into the intimate thoughts every single player on the board.

Sorry, not my plot, but I'd like to chip in.

In the Byakuren plot, I seldom give thought bubbles for the GM NPC Kotori. But that's mostly because I want my player characters to try and figure her out. If I did, most of her motivations would be rendered bare.

But I think it's a different deal with player characters. One of the things that makes a PC shine is a reader's ability to relate with them, to connect with them. It's what allows a character to exist not just in one mind, but many. In my mind, it's what allows them to live.

As a GM, I'm not sure I'd find it as interesting to only be able to take things at face value with the PCs. In an ideal world, I would have thetime to be all analytical of my PCs actions... but you can only do so much when you have 5+ people to be the referee to. There's also the matter of being entertained - and there's far less to be entertained about in a 'thought bubble-less' post. It's hard to praise a character as well written if there's little meat on the bone to enjoy.

I agree with this too, but (correct me if I'm wrong) the idea I picked up from his question was that the more introspective posts should be limited to times that are a bit more lacking in action, like over dinner, lying awake in bed, at a social gathering, and whatnot. With very few exceptions, we probably shouldn't be seeing deep thoughts running through a character's mind while they're being shot at, for instance.

Of course, there are some things that make sense, like emotional reactions to high-intensity situations that would be written all over a character's face, or at the very least, something a more intuitive character nearby would be able to glean from their expression alone.

You're right about it being hard to develop a character and make him/her interesting to anyone else without "thought bubbles," however, and I guess I should modify my stance in that light. After all, I myself like very complex characters with many layers that may not be readily apparent at first glance. They're more fun to try to figure out. I don't want to shine too bright a light on Sienna (my first and only character here so far) yet, because I'd like many of her motivations to remain murky for the time being. So let me offer this - allow internal monologue, but discourage it from being overused? Focus mostly on what can be observed from the outside, but offer insight in appropriate situations?

Wes,

Kindly look at my post prior to Sune doing the Surgery, you will clearly See.

He took off his AMES gloves and pulled on a pair of surgical gloves. He gave Bors a local pain killer in the area around the worst injury. He daubed iodine around the wound and pulled out the tools he would need.

I'm having trouble figuring out what you're trying to communicate. Could you be more clear, Brian? Is there something I forgot to include in my post?

Sune was definitely not entirely comfortable with the Mishhu's diagnosis
Note that the Mishhu is examining Conrad, not Bors. In my latest RP post I responded to him second-guessing the Mishhu.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back