Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

OOC Eucharis Discussion

Today's a day of action (similar to the Stop SOPA effort), they will be gone tomorrow.

Hey, I want to apologize for being less around than usual this month. It's the end of the semester and I'm not doing so well in school, so I've been really stressed out and trying to work on my stuff I need to pass. I've got one big project to do this week and then two major exams to take on the 22nd, and so while I'll still be on SARP, I will also be spending most of my time working on it and studying. Thanks for being patient with me as I go through this rough spot. I've given Kyle GM powers in the planetside thread to help ease things through.

Also, I know this is a terrible idea, but if Sienna burned herself, maybe that would give her an excuse to visit the lonely medical lab so both characters could get some dialogue in. Just brainstorming here. *scoots off to bed*

*Snicker* Sienna go burn yourself now.

On a side note : Sorry I didn't mention but I've been at a convention for the past few days and so that's why I haven't been around. I should return to normal activity tomorrow.

Haha, well, alternatively you could decide Sienna needs more medical testing. For, uh, science.

Reynolds There isn't suppose to be sleeping bags or tents... SURVIVLE TRAINING. not camp-out... if folks want to survive they will need to figure out how to use what little is in the large survivle kit and the cold weather out fits... that is it... anything more isn't survivle training, it's camping.

Well there are sleeping bags and tents in the survival kit you wanted to bring. I don't think you told her to remove any items in particular.

She is Logistics. She supplies people with things. If you put her in a situation where people could use items she can provide, she's going to want to provide them.

I, personally, have doubts about how well they will be able to survive on the surface of a planet with 'neverending blizzards' with nothing more than some warm clothing. I'm fully prepared to dive right in and see how you and Wes are going to handle them perhaps freezing to death or being buried under snow, assuming they're not attacked first. In character, Mitsuko is going to attempt to follow her orders while doing her job and assisting everyone the way she thinks is best. She's going to keep trying to help unless Misato wants to specify more about her plans. She sees a situation and is attempting to fix it with her skillset. Normally planning ahead like that would be a good thing. Again, Misato will have to be more clear, if she's going to be in charge and want this done a specific way.

Not being directly involved in the survival training mission, and with no practical wilderness survival experience myself, you can take my opnion with a grain of salt. However, I have to chime in here and say that Mitsuko's actions aren't unreasonable. While it seems like it's theoretically possible for a well-trained soldier to be able to survive in such a hostile environment with nothing more than the clothes on their back, it's fairly impractical to assume that an organized and well-equipped military force would ever deploy their soldiers to a place like Ether without at least some rudimentary survival gear and a temporary shelter. While I do understand Tanka's point, unless Mitsuko starts coordinating the drop of a climate-controlled RV and stuff to make s'mores, I think she's doing her job well enough given that she wasn't specifically told not to bring tents. Surviving in a Hoth-like world would be no picnic even with tents and sleeping bags, as I would imagine that keeping one's body temperature regulated would be paramount, even for finely-tuned Nekos. :)

Maybe the label on this mission should be "Prepare To Die." (Wait, no, not that. Been playing too much Dark Souls.)

I've got it. It should be "Prepare To Huddle Together For Warmth."

Igloos... Ice caves.... Snow drift lean tos.. I have used each of these in blizzards over the years. I have survived with less then what is in the one Large Survival kit. I'm not a superbeing like the Nekos. i'm just a humble human that has kept a level head and fought tooth and nail against nature when she decides that my card was up.

An example was when I was snowshoeing on Mt. Ranier on a bright sunny day. weather reports were clear, but the mountains around here laugh a weather reports. It turned gray and a visibility to ten feet with in an hour. I was about 3 hours away from my car and the ranger station. I dug in under a tree building an snow cave, and with a bit of luck i used some of the lower dead limbs to build a small fire. between my ipod and bad words games Me and my companion made it through the night, just to snowshoe back out the next morning.

So the fact that the shuttle is there and the tank both laces in an emergency we can move some one, it isn't all that bad that all Misato is giving the teams is the Survival Kit and the cold weather outfits. Which the kit has more in it then I take camping normally. (that per person, cause that kit is huge and there would be no way a single person would need it for a simple over night camping trip.)

Either way tents, unless they are designed for cold weather with insulation and a heating scorce will be a death trap on the surface. The best bet would be for them to dig in and built an igloo around it, so the tents are useless.

Unless we have trees around, we need something that burns, something to dig with, and something to keep us off the snow. Outside of that and the cold weather gear, anything else is extraneous for overnight survival.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back