Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

OOC Eucharis Discussion

If Zack wasn't tagged, the question would seem more reasonable... though the answer is easy.

Yamatai is likely to use its own equipment, but where permitted, individual soldiers can use equipment according to their own choice, and it's reasonable that a Nepleslian serving in the Star Army would use NAM grenades where convenient, if permitted to do so, if supplied with them for whatever reason (including their own purchases).

That was easier than trying to counter-criticize him.

@Navian

The SAoY doesn't have the same less-lethal options as Yamatai in their existing inventory as far as I'm aware. They have some chemical-based options but it is unknown what effects those would have on Rixx. Scalar-stun, and physical restriction type less-lethal rounds are more likely to get the results you'd want using off the shelf stuff.

@Navian

The SAoY doesn't have the same less-lethal options as Yamatai in their existing inventory as far as I'm aware. They have some chemical-based options but it is unknown what effects those would have on Rixx. Scalar-stun, and physical restriction type less-lethal rounds are more likely to get the results you'd want using off the shelf stuff.

Wouldn't that be a good thing for Wazu to invent for them, then? Getting artwork wouldn't be a problem either imho, as you could just re-color one of the existing grenade types (as all of the...Type 29 grenades iirc have the same "template," just different colors).

EDIT: My apologies, I was thinking of the Type 30 Grenades - although looking at the them makes me wonder: wouldn't a stun, tear gas, sleeping gas, or (albeit after it's been modified to emit a weaker pulse) scalar pulse grenade fulfill a non-lethal role?

Last edited:
I like the idea of Yamatai-flavoured goo rounds, but they don't have to be of Wazu's devising. I'm sure there's other inventors who can come up with something more fun and fruity, if there's any disagreements with the NAM selection. My only comment was about how it seems strange, to me, that more than one 40mm round would be needed to immobilize a single unarmoured target...

You actually wouldn't want to use Goo-Rounds. With less-lethal 40mm grenades you're still shooting a 40mm grenade directly at someone. There is a decent chance that you'll kill the target instead of incapacitating it. The small payload also means that it won't do a great job at physically stopping someone if they are moving around. Physical-restraint type less-lethal weapons are pretty lousy at their jobs but they are what is approved and on the Wiki.

Chemical options are available, but you have the same problems. You can kill someone if they are hit in the head by the grenade. The chemicals can also OD the target and kill them. The tear-gas also might just tickle the Rixx.

If you're making new stuff you're better off skipping over the grenade options entirely and making an LRAD or Active Denial Field. Both of these are more effective at driving people off and have a lower chance of causing fatality.

I thought the "let's find ways to be less kill-y toward the Rixxikor" was a fun roleplay joke/activity because we don't actually need to not kill the Rixxikor. We just needed to wait for the right time to kill the Rixxikor.

I think those assertions make a lot of assumptions about what exactly is possible in terms of far future gooey-stringy-bursty-weapons. I'd be inclined to allow some more effective ones, since we're allowing plasma weapons and those require some 'impossible' science in order to work as well as they do, for example.

But yeah, the 'not kill the Rixxikor' thing is mostly a hypothetical. Also because it'll be easier to do diplomacy with them when they're glued to the floor.

Well, the garts have those arc guns. I'm sure with some yamatai tinkering we could make a nifty super lightening tazer base off of the science

@Mad_Stylus, what do you think about opening up the "killing power" thread to the rest of the infantry? It might give them a chance to prepare their armor for what I believe is going to be a much longer expedition into the planet.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back