Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

OOC Fifth Fleet: The Unluckies

you have my deepest sympathies kai i remember loosing grandparents is tough and if you are anything like me you are going to need a lot more chocolate

Oh, something I think I should have noted but forgot to. Actually, two things.

First off, it is technically still YE 35 in this plot. I'm just a slow GM and we haven't caught up yet. nor will we catch up to the timeline until the Lkihujngfv arc is over.

Secondly, the Daisy II's thigh compartments are only so big, 400 x 250 x 50 mm to be exact. They can fit the following:
  • 8 LASR magazines (100 round)
  • 16 SLAG magazines (3 round)
  • 8 SLAG magazines (6 round)
  • 4 GR-magazines (300 round)
  • 1 ASP (Plus 2 50-round magazines)
  • 2 GSR magazine (10 round)

Last edited:
Ah, you know, you're right. I knew we were behind, and for some reason I had thought I had started this plot in 2012, but the timestamps on the first two threads are clearly from 2013.

So, yes, we're in YE 35. still behind the current time of YE 36, though.

Secondly, the Daisy II's thigh compartments are only so big, 400 x 250 x 50 mm to be exact. They can fit the following:
  • 8 LASR magazines (100 round)
  • 16 SLAG magazines (3 round)
  • 8 SLAG magazines (6 round)
  • 4 GR-magazines (300 round)
  • 1 ASP (Plus 2 50-round magazines)
  • 2 GSR magazine (10 round)
Thank you for this. I was unsure as to what could fit in those compartments.

The more you know! In all seriousness, that at least means I no longer have to be so vague about how many magazines Aya is carrying.

I'm still having trouble figuring out what upgrades to plump for; I'm really sorry for the delays.

Oh blast it. I wrote a pretty long reply covering... well, up until Kyoshiro's offer to Brandon, and left it hanging on the "saved draft" thing and I think I might have timed out on it. I'd really like to avoid that happening again, anyone know how it works?

Sorry to hear that. From what I know? It only saves it for a short amount of time to avoid losing it if you accidentally close the tab. Best to slap the thing into notebook if you need to save it as a draft for longer terms.

that's alright, so long as you let us know. Don't worry, and just post whenever you can.

Ah, crap. Sorry, Kyoshiro, Gryal. I keep mixing up your characters. @Kyoshiro9 would you mind terribly editing your post. I'm going to edit mine to rectify the mistake.

Finally recapped the thread! Now all I need to do is post before I get too far behind...

By the way, three questions:

1) I'm thinking of giving Aya an Armour Service Gauss Rifle because I imagine that the relative lack of damage her LASR-SLAG did when the squad were fighting the Render frustrated her. I noticed on the page for Kai's Grimace that his ASGR was equipped with a SLAG, but looking at the page for the SLAG it doesn't indicate the ASGR can have a SLAG attached. Does this mean his ASGR is modified?

2) I was also thinking of modifying her Daisy II to accept a shoulder-fired missile pod (or two, haven't decided yet). Assuming she used the General Equipment Pack and an ASGR, would it make more sense for her to use it for additional missile munitions, carry explosives/whatever the mission calls for, or use it to carry additional ammunition for the ASGR (since it doesn't seem the thigh holders can carry much ASGR ammo)? ...Actually, can the GEP even carry more small arms ammunition?

3) Does such a set-up (ASGR + missile pod(s?) + GEP) even make sense for her since her role is Demolitions? Am I accidentally creating a redundant set-up?

Sorry for taking so long and asking so much, I just want to do my best!

1) Kai's ASGR is unmodified- all of Origin's GR-series rifles (even the GSR, though it isn't recommended) can mount a SLAG.
2) The Daisy II also does not need any modifications to mount the Missile pods, and can mount them normally The GEP, as it is written, doesn't have any way of automatically feeding ammuinition to anything other than the 50MM Gauss bazookas, and unless set up for that purpose, lacks the hardware and is otherwise just an armored box. You can fit extra ammo in it, but I don't really have any good way of figuring out how big the thing actually is. Also, if you check ammo capacities between the LASR and ASGR, the Daisy II's thigh compartments can actually hold more ASGR ammunition. 1200 rounds for the ASGR vs. 800 for the LASR (this is due to the configuration of the magazines themselves)
As for the GEP itself carrying more ammunition- it can be used to store more Magazines but you kind of have to pick one thing to stick in it and stay with that.

3) the ASGR is a good all-round rifle, which makes sense for just about anyone. also, the Missile pods for shoulder use are offensive, which means they do actually explode in the traditional sense, and can theoretically be used for Demolitions. I would also suggest going through the list of Star Army explosives and figuring out which equipment you think she might need, and putting that in the GEP, instead.

So I know we are supposed to discuss our goals in the IC thread, but I'm curious as to how to properly do that? Do I just walk up to a character and ask what I want to put in my setup? I know that's a noob question, but I'd like to get it right.

Yup. that's exactly it. Go have Damien talk to Aya, or Rin, or Anzu (even if she isn't getting any upgrades) You could even talk to April or Kai, Hell, I'm sure Fieke might even have some insight. Talk not only about what kind of weapons and upgrades you want, but also what you think your character might bring to the team, or have them ask another character whet they think he should be. All of these are acceptable things.

Discuss, learn about your own character, about your squadmates, try to figure out, amongst yourselves, how you can work together as a team. this is what Kai is trying to encourage- Not only does he want you to build your armors, but he wants the people to build one another up as a team.

Actually I edited for you already, @Kyoshiro9 I realized all I had to do was change the name you listed for who Kai called- it really wouldn't have changed anything else.

Oh nice! Good looking out man, I appreciate it. Yeah sorry for getting back to you so late, I was running around all day and just got home.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back