Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

OOC Fifth Fleet: The Unluckies

@Syaoran , @cyborgakadjmoose , @Brett M

Post is up!

For context, an English War Bow - which was a long bow - took typically 120 lbs to 140 lbs to draw back properly. A crossbow that's drawn by hand, sometimes using a hooked belt or lever usually takes somewhere around 350 lbs, while a larger crossbow with a mechanical assist such as the cranequin or windlass often has a draw weight around 1000 lbs. Half a short ton basically.

Historical perspective, yay!~

Yeah, archers actually had to be crazy strong to draw their bows. Hence the whole "If you want a good archer, start with his grandfather" saw.

BTW, I meant to post yesterday - I just got waylaid by RL stuff. I'll try to post tomorrow!

@Brett M @cyborgakadjmoose @Syaoran

I'm going to make another post within on or two days to get us moving on to actually picking armor and stuff, since I didn't want to make a really big brick of a post, and wanted to make it easy to read. I've been looking into historical armor and stuff, and a lot of it is interesting to say the least.

Sorry guys, I should have posted earlier. Instead, I ended up downloading "Star Wars: Republic Commando" and binging. Despite being an old game that was made on Unreal 2, it still strikes me as a good game. That aside, I'll be posting again tomorrow too. Depending on what replies I get or don't, I'll either linger a bit longer if there's interest or move on.

@Syaoran @Brett M @cyborgakadjmoose

Post is up. I hope you all know what you're looking at! Go ahead and feel free to take a look at it as much as you want - I'll describe it in as much detail as your character wants to investigate.

When we finally get to pricing, I'll let you guys determine how much gold each of your characters have accumulated. Or if they even managed to get any gold. For context, the average mercenary crossbowman was paid four copper coins a day, or pennies. During daily use, it was even common to break the pennies up into half and quarter segments as well.

I loved the demo of Republic Commando (never got the full game, alas).

As for the finances, I'm pretty terrible with determining this sort of thing - like my gut tells me that a swordsman would've earned less than a crossbowman, but that's just intuition.

P.S.: the lizard shopkeeper is adorable.

Inorite? There's so much you can do with Kobolds. :3

Basically, going with the wages, whatever you do, don't go higher than Kuroneko's.

It's a Kobold.

Also, yes, there really is no such thing as studded leather armor. It's actually always been brigandine armor, but with the plates inside instead of outside. It's just that fantasy writers and Hollywood don't really know that. The stuff is basically in between mail and plate armor. Since we're not exactly in combat, I'm just going to post whenever I see a good opportunity to do so. Because of that, feel free to take a look at what's there.

@cyborgakadjmoose @Syaoran @Brett M

Post is up! And yes, the little Kobold's claims about the armor are somewhat accurate. I've been digging around and learning about this stuff to some degree for a while now, and it's all a lot more sturdy than I initially thought. Slashing attacks have a harder time against a gambeson because it doesn't let the blade properly apply force, distributing it over a wider area. At the end of this video, you'll see him eventually hack at the older gambeson at 3:55, and even then, it cuts only because the tire under it let him get a solid hit in and properly transfer that kinetic energy. So long as the blows from say, a sword, are glancing or are a lot of the length applied onto a broad surface like in Hollywood gut slice maneuvers, it won't cut.

And against certain arrows, it'll stop them too.

Oh, awesome! I wish I could get my nerd on too, but I'm hopelessly unknowledgeable about medieval weapons & armour (my expertise is much, much later!).

And feel free to imagine Aya's making puppy dog (kitty cat?) eyes at Sif or something. :p

@Brett M @Syaoran @cyborgakadjmoose

Post up! And there's nothing wrong with not knowing about this stuff Brett - because now you get to be taught by a Mini-Neko who's got a power level over 9000 with this stuff and a Kobold who grew up on it. And since I had Sif bring up the topic in regards to how it is portrayed in media, perhaps one of the few anime I've ever seen that had really, really good depictions of it would be "Virgin Witch Maria". That one, despite the premise, shocked me in how well developed and compassionate the characters were, how historically accurate a lot of the warfare was, and how tastefully the fanservice was applied. It wasn't all over and in your face, and was perfectly appropriate to the context! The story took priority.

An absolute shock! Also, I suggest you all grill the little Kobold for info - it's a native after all, and so far, has been chatty.

Virgin Witch Maria is great. Skallagrim on youtube made mention of it too with how well done it's combat is.

Oh yeah, he did. He even pointed out some of the armor that I hadn't quite yet here. The mercenary guy, I can't remember his name, had a sort of ultra-light plate that was worn kinda like a skeleton on himself. It went over his gambeson, and let him actively block swords and stuff with his arms and legs without bruising, whereas with just a gambeson, you'd get a bad bruise and risk broken bones even though there was a good chance it wouldn't cut through.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back