• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Mecha in SAoY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now is not a good time for me. My wife's dad is dying right now and we are up at her parents's house. See Eucharis OOC for details. Will post some other time.

I literally know exactly what it feels like to be in your position given I was in the same position a month ago.

Hold together, Wes.

No takers? Where'd the discussion go?

To be honest, I feel like the gorilla in the gif where it comes over, sees something it doesn't like and Nopes Out as fast as possible on its hind legs. I won't post the image since it isn't my intent to offend; mentioning it is just the best way I can sum up what's going through my mind.

For me, the concept of a mech or frame for the SAoY feels like it's spiraled out of control. Looking at the thread and the OUREX that's on the drawing board, I can see that this work-in-progress is already far larger than originally talked about, and is armed with weapons that honestly feel over-the-top. I originally wanted some sort of front-line general workhorse that the everyperson could potentially get inside of and use. One that could contribute to RP by working together with Power Armor by either giving players that are in PA supporting fire, or be piloted by players and be screened by PA.

I don't mean to be harsh, but as it looks now, it appears to be a 'Special Snowflake' or 'Hero Unit' type of vehicle. As a player, the odds of getting in one are very slim, and working with it as a PA is likely unenjoyable as it's likely to do all the kill everything on its own. As a GM, it's useless to me since I can't be fair in how I issue it to players since it's likely to only be just one unit per hundred infantry or so, and that it appears powerful enough to the point that on its own, it wouldn't tip the scales, but flip it like a table. From my perspective, it's only useful as a very rarely used plot device of some sort, and is also quite likely to be exactly what people who are against frames/mechs were imagining.

I can't speak for others, but I wouldn't be surprised if many people had similar feelings.

Last edited:
I believe it was mentioned at some point that the Ourex is not intended to be a PC unit, but a boss unit.

I'm sure we could automate the OUREX like the TASHA if it would help.

EDIT: this statement sounded much better in my head, the concept I'm trying to convey is that as a community we can request that this machine be controlled by an AI rather than a human pilot.by we I am NOT referring in any way that I am assisting with the creation of this machine.just wanted to clarify that seeing as after two edits I have not been able to make that statement mean what I had intended for it to mean

Last edited:
Less than 500 are to be made. They'd be stationed 60 a piece on worlds as basically mobile surface to orbital turrets.

Think Space Invaders. Because that's what they're for. You touch down? You get a boss fight. Sometimes they're sent in by GMs as backup for named characters.

ai.imgur.com_cQhwQbO.jpg
Pictured above: The designer of the OUREX and her reaction.
Somewhere out there in IC-land, a petite L'manel with a drug problem is nursing a very strong alcoholic beverage, sighing in exasperation and muttering things in gutteral orthodox Lorath wishing she could hurt you.

Joking aside, it isn't meant to be a PC weapon except in some pretty exacting/plot specific circumstances. Given its size, the firepower is pretty par for the course considering the mobility it sacrifices and its interior displacement is actually greater than that of most gunship-style Yamataian starships if you subtract the interior crew-space. Its a one-man defensive gunship on legs.

In terms of loadout? A big rail cannon, an assortment of computer-controlled tactical Davey Crocketts, a pair of L-Mark II and a lot of armor -- which actually isn't all that impressive. Coupled with the mobility issues, those are some pretty stiff sacrifices.

Last edited:
Oh god I want that little bunny. Oh, I better say something topic related. How about designing a mecha that is modeled after a bunny? I love those whiskers. A bunny is fine too.

ai.imgur.com_1hnmhh6.png

After a bunny? I know you're joking but you've set gears in motion.

I have a character based on one, so it does seem like a logical progression...

Would it have sensor "ears" and whiskers kind of like how like how the protagonist's mecha in Overman King Gainer has hair?
I feel like my mewmew needs to meet your sniffsniff someday.
Now I'm going to run away before I derail the thread anymore.

My sniffsniff has an intense phobia of cats and cat-like-things; she freezes to the spot, like paralysis and stutters like a wind-up toy.

It would be interesting and probably really funny.

I think part of the problem though, Osaka, is that what a lot of us were looking for WASN'T a boss mecha. We wanted something for us to use, not something shiny for us to look at. This doesn't do anything for the players. Maybe it's just me, but I'm not interested in having yet another big bad enemy/boss type unit that looks really cool, and that I'll see maybe once, ever.

@ anyone who doesn't like this result from the conversation.
Feel free to hate me for saying this, if you're not satisfied with Osaka's service just remember that nobody was paying or commissioning her to build this. She made it because she wanted to. I didn't even like the concept of having a full on Mecha, I wanted a frame similar to what they use in titanfall. So why didn't she make me the frame I desired so much? Simple, because she doesn't have to, I'm lazy, and don't care enough to pay for what I want to see. people wanted a new mecha and they got one, maybe not the one that wanted but there it is.
So far there hasn't really been much R&D on this thread. Just chatter about what various individuals do and don't like. I'd love to help make a new thingamajig or whachamicallit but no one else has actually been starting a project from what I've seen.
'Be the change you want to see'
'Just do it'
pick a motto and roll. otherwise we may just end up with a robot bunny.

The point is that the whole premise of this is to design something players would use, that the Star Army needs. If the result doesn't fit those needs, then it is literally pointless. If this was Osaka designing something for herself alone, that would be one thing. This isn't that. This is something being designed for the use of player characters in the SAoY. And this doesn't fit, no matter how much I do like the results.

Reactions: Wes
Aendri, if this was a stationary placement you wouldn't care. Its artillery with legs. I'm not even designing it for SAoY anymore; someone else lept in and nabbed it for another nation while you were all bickering.

Given the amount of effort that went into making that reply Osaka, I'll assume it wasn't a joke, and offense towards me was intended. But, ignoring that, the fact remains that the objective of this thread was to find a suitable unit for the SAoY and that your Ourex flat out does not meet what people are looking for to the point that it's for another nation. In other words, the issue is that you've derailed the thread. That is a hard, solid fact - due to this, you cannot complain that you are not getting feedback like you did on page 12. It's off topic. It's fine if you want to make this for yourself, someone else or whatever. This just simply isn't the place for it.

Now, getting back on topic, can anyone even remember the size class that Wes wanted? I know I preferred a 6 meter one, but suspect he wanted a 3 meter, which is likely redundant since that's about the same size as a TASHA.

Last edited:
Yeah, I already gave Wes that, the flyer which met the more specific demands we spoke about on IRC. Also, I have no hard feels (ppfft how can I hate any SARPer? I even liked Five when everybody else hated him).

Plus, that was meant to represent how one of my characters would handle your shut-downs. I thought it was pretty funny.

Rizzo, that was Osakan's art...

If you went all the way back to the start of the thread, I'm not sure if there was even a requirement for mecha, just a question on if the SAoY used mecha and Wes's answer was that there are no mecha units, just experimental Origin platforms. Then came the "I want, I want, I want", which was how this current mess came about.

Go all the way back to page 1 and see if what I said is right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back