• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

RP: 21st Fighter Sq [Mission 1.3] Letting off Steam

Nashoba

SARPaholic & Admin
Convention Veteran
Retired Staff

Kayo paused at the entrance to the bar, she was off-duty so she was wearing the t-shirt from her exercise uniform, and the pants from her working uniform. There was music coming from an Anaba Super Karaoke Machine. Her bright blue eyes scanned the room for any of the other crewmembers from the Fighting Diamonds. Looks like I am first, so I will go and claim one of the card tables as Numa-Chui instructed. she thought.

Kayo strode into the room taking in the decor as she found an empty table and pulling out a chair she turned it around and sat in it straddling the back of the chair. One of the attendants came over and she requested a glass of water and a deck of cards. When the attendant returned she thanked him, and placed the card deck on the table.

Saori entered the Safety Valve dressed in her exercise uniform, having just come off a work-out session. She looked around at the bar interior and nodded to Kayo upon noticing the presence of the other neko before heading over to a table near the other woman.

Seating herself, she ordered up a mug of barley tea, no cards, and thanked the attendant. Saori glanced over to Kayo. "Popular place, neh?"

Kayo chuckled, "It can be quite popular, occasionally a bit too popular. I've come by a few times and you could not even find a seat. But I can understand the need for a place like this." she said looking at the door as a group of four soldiers from a different unit came in and found another table.

"I take it you are settled in your billet Kuwashima-San? My sources tell me that we'll be staying on the Heitan from now on. Which is fine with me. Packing and moving back and forth was irritating. Not my personal stuff mind you I don't have anything but my military issue. But having to move the squadron's admin materials. I would have to spend a day reorganizing everything after each rotation." She picked up her glass of water and took a sip.

"Numa-San should be here shortly. The cards are for her. I am terrible at poker, I have no poker face. So I choose not to play but to watch and learn. What about you? Will you be joining the game?" she asked.

"Oh, I've settled in just fine, thank you. Not that I've had much to compare it against but this ship already feels bigger than some of the training bases I've been to." Saori said, glancing up at the star field on the ceiling and downing some of her tea.

"Poker, is it? I've seen a few people play but it isn't really my thing - I'll give it a try, though."

Hibiyashi Sekai wasn't happy. With three Kawarimes still in need of repair, a move to a new location, and a lack of hands to use to complete even simple tasks, Sekai found herself a distinctly unhappy technician.

I hate this job, some days. She thought sulkily. I gotta blow off some steam.

Making her way through the corridors of the Heitan, the Crew Chief finally discovered herself at the Safety Valve Bar. She promptly took note of Kayo, and was forced to hide a grin.

Poker? And who was her new friend? Oh -- she was going to have fun with them.

Making a quick check for any remaining grease or grime from the innards of a fighter, she proceeded toward the table.

"Ohayo, Kayo-Kun." She addressed the lower-ranking Neko. "And hello to you as well, Santô Hei...?" She waited for the other young Neko to respond.

"Kuwashima Saori, Jôtô Heisho." Saori replied formally, her fingers manipulating her mug of tea idly as she looked up at the crew chief. "A pleasure to meet you, will you be joining us in this...poker game?" She concluded idly, eyes averting from the elder neko back to the pack of cards.

"Ladies, you are breaking rule one of the bar. Leave the rank at the door." Kayo said with a grin, "Kuwashima-San, you will get to know the Chief intimately. She and her team are responsible for maintaining the Kawarimes. Speaking of which Hibiyashi-San I am working on securing some replacement fighters. Perhaps even an extra one that you folks can use for parts."

"Oh? Replacements are nice. Parts are better! You're a Goddess, Kayo-San." Sekai said, changing her form of address with her change in respect. "Though, I could have gotten them from another squadron if I needed them."

The Chief sat down at the table, and pulled over the deck of cards with a grin. "Kuwashima-San, have you ever played poker with an engineer before?"

"No, never with an engineer before." Saori replied flatly, feigning shame at the playful chiding about rank being left at the door. "I can't even say I've ever played much poker before either - is there a difference when it is played with an engineer?"

"Well, for one thing." Sekai said, "Engineers never lose."

With that, she began shuffling and dealing. "Ready for it?"

"Ready for what?" Saori asked calmly, taking another sip of her barley tea. She glanced over to the cards being shuffled.

"Are we pokering, then?"

"Only if I am at the table, Hibiyashi-San" came the voice of Atsui from behind Sekai. She walked around the table and took a seat opposite Saori.

One of the bar attendants came over, "What will it be Solitaire he asked.

"Double Whiskey, straight up Please. Oh, and put anyone who sits at this tables tab on my account." She said with a smile. She turned to Kayo, "If you would please handle issuing the chips. 100 KS per person sound reasonable, just to make things interesting."

"Go ahead and shuffle the cards Hibiyashi-San and deal. If the others wish to join when they get here, they can enter the next hand." Atsui said. The attendant returned with her drink, and she took it from him. Holding the glass under her nose she savored the aroma. Then she took a sip from the glass, and placed in on of the holders along the edge of the table.

Saori watched with eager anticipation as the game was afoot. She set her tea aside and watched the dealer expectantly.

As soon as Sekai finished shuffling, she passed out the cards and set the game up.

The game was afoot. Fortunes had been made and lost in Poker, so who would leave with the jackpot, and who would be left with an empty Wallet?

Sekai was determined not to let herself lose her month's pay. Perhaps the newbie or Kayo-Hei would be the ones walking away with lighter pockets?

Atsui picked up 5 KS in chips and tossed them into the center of the table, "Ante is 5 KS" she said as Sekai started dealing. As was her norm she waited for all five cards to be dealt before she picked up her hand.

-------------------------------

Kayo was nervous, but wanted to make a good impression with Solitaire. The young Neko picked up 5 chips and tossed them in. "I'm in, nothing ventured, nothing gained." she said cheerily.

Saori's demeanor took on a slightly more serious cast as she chucked in her chips to make up the ante, keeping her cards down against the table and lifting up the corners to examine them surreptitiously.

The edge of her lip twitched ever so slightly.

Kayo picked up her cards, and carefully organized them. Placing them so that she could easily see what she had. Once she completed that she took a moment to examine what kind of hand she had. Her eyes went wide for moment.

As soon as the cards were placed where they needed to be, Sekai checked her own hand. With a wink at Kayo, she threw in 5 KS.

"Well, Kuwashima-San? Ready?" Sekai said with a grin.

Atsui looked at the pot and said, "If everyone ante'd up, next you decide how many cards we want to exchange. Then the strategy and betting starts. I'll take two." as she discarded two cards.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back