• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

RP: YSS Genei [Mission 1]Finding the hand that feeds

As Yoshiko waited for Aeto's response she sent a message to the other members of the team that was out, detailing to them the change in orders. The datapads or SACOs, if they were being worn, would notify each team member to the change in orders.

"Yes actually, if you could would you run to the store and grab us something to eat?" Yoshiko sent a mental image with the request, it was to the Quicky-Eats that the informant happened to work at. "Just get us a little something to eat, nothing fancy. Eating out is too expensive anyway." Yoshiko said.

Konpeki after receiving the Shosa's mission update started making her way towards the others in her group. Okay, so we need to get into the Novacorp building, find this guys office and borrow his storage device. Easy.... After finding a suitable place to meet with her team mates she sent a quick text message to the Shosa.
Okana-Shosa,
Will the other team be rendezvousing with us once we secure the device, to copy the data off the storage device so that we can return it so before Iro Sukimade notices that it has been moved?

"Understood, ma'am," replied Nobutora. Quickly exiting first the room and then the hotel, he made his way into the small grocery store. Well aware that he was not a skilled field operative, Nobutora settled for keeping a discreet eye on the informant, looking for any obvious signs of distress or fear. As the attack against Sukimade's system had happened almost an hour ago now, there might have been time for the terrorists to have alerted eachother. Watching for any facial cues or microexpressions, Nobutora walked to the register and set down the instant dinners and drinks he had gathered, nodding at the informant. "Hi. How are you?" he greeted, as casually as he could.

Yoshiko got Konpeki's message and quickly typed a reply:

The other unit has been deployed, they will not be rendezvousing with you. You and the other members in your unit will need to handle the data extraction on your own.

"Hi." the cashier responded before beginning to scan Nobutora's items. The cashier's name tag matched that of the informant, Jonathan Henderson. "Do you have a Quicky Eats card?" the cashier asked halfway through the transaction. Jonathan seemed distracted, not even noticing Nobutara's question about his welfare. Something seemed to be bugging the man, but placing a finger on just what it was seemed to be something elusive. While Jonathan had been scanning he switched between staring off at the mini-screen on his keyboard, though clearly not reading it, and glaring at seemingly nothing in particular.

"No I do not. Is it beneficial?" said Nobutora, somewhat distractedly. The man indeed seemed somewhat disturbed. It would have been easier if they had made contact with the informant earlier, so information might be passed now. However, for the moment there wasn't anything for Nobutora to do but passively press the man; a chance to get more out of him now might be critical. "Is something inoperative with your system?" he said, gesturing at the mini-screen. "Working with computers myself, I may be of some assistance."

Wonderful, this mission just keeps getting better. Konpeki thought Okay, so we need to locate this storage device and download it. But to do that we will need to secure a data storage device of our own. she thought about the equipment she had on hand, SACOS hold 50 Gigabytes, don't know if that will be enough, and then there is matter of downloading the data. Okay, first things first, I should get with Rokunohe and the other Yamamoto. I really wish Nobutora was here. I thought the Shosa said he was to be my big brother on this mission. After getting with the others on my team, we will need to acquire a data device and then get into the Novacorp building and then find Iro Sukimade's device and transfer the data.

Jonathan snapped back to. "Oh, I'm sorry. The computers fine I think, you know how they get sometimes, they just develop a personality of their own...hardly ever a friendly one." Jonathan muttered something under his breath involving several explatives and Freespacers before continuing. "Yea, after you buy a 100 KS worth of stuff you get a 10 KS gift card." Jonathan continued. As Nobutara watched the man a pattern became visible. Whenever his eyes would shift away, it would be toward the customer service desk.

-----------------------------

While Konpeki awaited the rest of her team to join her something else happened. Some body had just passed Konpeki heading for a far seemingly ungaurded door. "Sir! You can't be back here sir." the only security guard on that side of the building yelled as he ran past Konpeki to get to the trespasser.

"Ah, well perhaps I will acquire one if I return," replied Nobutora, finishing the transaction with the informant. Nodding at the man as he gathered up his bags, he exited the store, moving briskly. As soon as he had moved a good distance away, he contacted the Shosa. "Ma'am, the informant appears to be agitated at the moment. I noticed him mentioning Freespacers, a threat I had not considered, as well as his attention being caught repeatedly by his computer and a location in the store. I believe this merits immediate examination, given the recency of our attack on the traitor's system. Do we have a secure method of contacting him?"

Konpeki upon hearing the commotion decided that she would follow the security guard discretely. This may provide information on how to gain entry to the building. This entrance may be suitable for our objective. she thought. From a safe location, she tracked the guard with her SACOS, and monitored his conversation with the CDLD-2.

She beat me to it Aeto mentally grumbled, unable to react as quickly and think about the message he was given at the same time. At least if she was able to figure something out, it would give him a bit of time to work on his own small plan. A bit under dressed, and probably not the best hand to play, but it would have to work for the time being.

Rather than track Konpeki directly, he moved a bit further up as the commotion allowed. I wouldn't give him direct access, but at least he'd be able to hear what the press conference was about. Possibly glean some info, or wrap his head around the subject. Something that would make him sound-more or less-like he gave a damn.

"Ma'am, the informant appears to be agitated at the moment. I noticed him mentioning Freespacers, a threat I had not considered, as well as his attention being caught repeatedly by his computer and a location in the store. I believe this merits immediate examination, given the recency of our attack on the traitor's system. Do we have a secure method of contacting him?

Yoshiko had been looking at the more recent results of the scan that Nobutora had done which were still displaying nothing interesting when his message came. "Unfortunately not. The unit he contacted didn't forward that information, I'll see what I can do to find out how they communicated though. While I look into that, after you get back will you go and assist Eika-Hei and Yamamoto-Hei? There is some equipment that they need."
---

The guard quickly approached the trespasser who by this time had made it to a different door to the building. "Sir, this building is private property and off-limits to the public." the guard said before positioning himself between the door and the trespasser. Finally the trespasser made an angry gesture to the guard before flashing his NovaCorp ID. There was a short conversation about 'proper procedures' before the guard let the man go about his business into the building.

------

Sadly for Aeto the press conference was old news. NovaCorp had just created and released some civilian versions of current military technology. It was nothing amazing, in fact the tech was quite common and so a civilian version was highly expected, but it was most certainly nothing revolutionary. Of course, the speech seemed to be going on forever and the press were eating it up.

”Understood, ma’am. I will return momentarily.” Taking one last glance at the now distant store, Nobutora turned and moved quickly back down the streets. It did indeed only take a few minutes for him to reach the hotel, and barely more to swipe in, proceed to the room, and enter. Setting the bag of food and drinks down on a table near the door, he walked over towards the Shosa. “Ma’am the requested food is in the bag. And as for the equipment needed by Eika-hei and Yamamoto-hei… Are there any specific parameters they require assistance with?”

After watching the commotion, Konpeki made her way back to her team mates. Once was with the two of them, "Yamamoto-Hei, Rokunohe-Hei, it would appear that we have located an entrance to the facility that is not heavily guarded." She whispered to her team mates. "We need to get the data from the storage device the Shosa mentioned. I suggest that I engage the lone guard who covers that entrance and keep him suitably distracted. That will clear the way for the two of you gain entry to the building, locate Iro Sukimade's device. Since the other team is otherwise engaged, I recommend transferring the data into your SACOS. You're thoughts?"

"They're copying the data from that external device, you'll need to bring them something to copy it to. You might be able to assist them if they need it as well." Yoshiko said as she fished around the bags. "Mou, you only got frozen food?" Yoshiko weakly tried to sound disappointed. Secretly she couldn't cook, years of service in SAINT hadn't left much opportunity for her to learn the more domestic arts. She knew what she needed to know, fortunately that didn't curtail cooking. Well, unfortunately in this case.

-----------

Konpeki's communicator buzzed again as the guard turned to go back to the door he was guarding.

Message said:
I am sending Yamamoto-Hei to help you. He'll have a spare data storage device you can use if you can't find one.

Nobutora quickly began rounding up electronics, stuffing a laptop, network segregator, jamming/security back-up device, and two portable storage systems into a bag. Pausing in the middle of checking the charge of his duty weapon, he glanced at the bags before responding to the Shosa. “Um… apologies, ma’am. If you require it I can obtain different options at your discretion.” Looking away for a moment, he shouldered the bag and settled it over his clothing, trying to keep its modest bulk somewhat discreet. Striding towards the door, he stopped next to the Shosa. “Do you require different food now, or shall I assist the others first?”

"No, this will be fine." Yoshiko said feigning disappointment. "You can probably catch a cab to get you over there. You might want to hurry though it's about a 30 minute drive to get there." Yoshiko turned and started sifting through the data that the search had brought up. While computers were quite good, it still required a human element to determine if data was in fact useful or not.

“Aye aye, ma’am,” replied Nobutora stiffening up briefly before exiting the room. He walked briskly out of the hotel, trying to find a taxi. One in sight, he paused as it approached. ”Eika-hei, I will be at your location with the equipment shortly.”

------

The area in front of NovaCorp was still quite busy. The various media outlets had left their vehicles parked out front while they covered the press conference; there was enough congestion that the taxi had to loiter for a few minutes to find a place to pull over. Exiting and paying with all possible alacrity Nobutora made his way about the area, trying to locate his teammates. It didn’t to long to localize them and he moved towards them with drawing undue attention. Nodding briefly towards the other two relative newcomers, he turned towards Eika. “Eika-hei, greetings. I have the equipment necessary for accessing and copying the drive. Will you require any assistance?”

Konpeki was surprised, but relieved when she got the message from Nobutora that he was enroute with the necessary hardware. So now we need to adjust the plan, make our way into the building, locate the device, transfer the data and exit. she thought. The entrance with a single guard still remained their best opportunity for sneaking in.

She had the others in her group move with her to a different location where Nobutora would be able to find them easily.

When she saw him approaching he smiled and nodded to him. "Glad you could join the party. We have located an entrance on the side with only one guard present. It would appear to be the logical path of entry."

Nobutora nodded crisply as he glanced discreetly around their location. It made all too much sense for the corporation to have posted only one guard at a locus of potential infiltration; for all that it made their infiltration easier, civilians were entirely too lax. “Very well. You have been observing this location for some time now, so I will gladly follow your lead. Do you have a method on entry past the guard? Is the whole team going to move to extract data, or are we going to maintain a reserve on overwatch?”

Konpeki looked at the other in her group. "Probably best to have part of the team handle the diversion of the guard, and if necessary create a distraction when we come out. Rokunohe, and the other Yamamoto can remain out here, while you and I gain entry and make our way to the target office?"

RPG-D RPGfix
Back