Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 September 2024 is YE 46.7 in the RP.

RP: YSS Genei [Mission 1]Finding the hand that feeds

Nobutora only briefly fought the impulse to respond to his superior; the operationally prudent decision to limit communications trafic won out rather quickly. With the elevator bound to reach the ground floor in seconds, there was little time to act. "Eika-san, I will try to manage him," he poked his chin towards the unconscious man between them, "discretely if you will set off the alarm. I think we ought to leave Rokunohe-hei to egress to the vehicle independently."

As Hitomo glanced around the hangar she was amazed at how big the hangar was. She glanced around the hustle and bustle of the hangar looking for Karasu. She heard that Karasu will be going to the YSS Genei too. She was thinking to herself, maybe I should just go on ahead to hangar 7D it was only a brisk walk away. But she knew she was in an unfamiliar place and dangers could be lurking everywhere. Especially with so many different alien clans around some with members twelve feet high and with claws. Her mother always taught her, safety in numbers when in the unknown. Hitomo decided to wait for Karasu; maybe at least she can at least get to know someone well walking to the ship. She glanced around, looking at the different species and sizing them up.

Aeto barely managed to spit a tooth into his hand, struggling up to a knee as the news of the vehicle came to light. Rolling his eyes and groaning after wasting a good bit of effort-and a bit of feeling in his jaw-he quickly made his way out of sight less the authorities catch wind of him.

Regaining his balance, Aeto stumbled back in the proper direction.

"I...agh...just give me a min-for the fucking love of turn that down!" the still somewhat dazed infiltrator ranted quietly to himself as he focused in on his target in the parking lot. Hands pawing like a weak puppy, he yanked himself into the drivers seat. All he had to do was get himself together before this 'package' came down from the building. Hopefully they wouldn't take to long, especially with the sirens of nosy company not too far away. Just long enough to nurse a blazing headache, hopefully.

Konpeki shifted Sukimade to Nobutora. When the elevator door opened she stepped out and verified that the hallway is clear. "All clear at the moment, find a cubicle and I will take care of the alarm." She moved quickly towards a closet that she saw when they were on the floor earlier. Konpeki took her NSP, and held it up to a box of paper. She fired the NSP in heavy mode several times igniting the container. Once she was satisfied with the boxes combustion. She then fired the NSP at the fire alarm. The building alarms started sounding. She hid the NSP in her clothes then closed the door, and returned to Nobutora. "Yamamoto-San, we should make our way to the nearest exit."

"Indeed," replied Nobutora, nodding, as he hoisted the traitor back up and began hauling him out of the cubicle. He fervently hoped that their plan would work, that they would be dismissed by the panicky crowd as two coworkers helping out an injured man. The discharge of his NSP only moments ago had been the first time he had used a weapon since training; he suspected it was the same for Eika. Either way, he had little interest in attempting to fight his way out. Thinking ahead for a moment, he turned slightly towards Eika and spook in quiet tones. "It is unfortunate that our team is not larger. If he," he hefted Sukimade up for a better grip, "alerted the rest of the cell, it may be impossible for just the three of us and the Shosa to bring the others into custody before they disperse."

Konpeki heft Sukimade so that she and Nobutora were each supporting him from under his shoulders. "Well, Yamamoto-San capturing the cell was not our mission. Capturing Sukimade was necessitated because of your concern about accessing the data. Our mission at the moment is just to discover who is funding them." She continued to scan the area with her eyes for any sign of problems. "Although our issue at hand is just to get out of here and to the vehicle the Shosa identified."

The alarm was blaringly loud and effectively doing its job. People could be heard moving all throughout the building as they rushed toward the exits. Meanwhile the press-conference out front was suddenly aware of this as well, the speaker and reporters all moving away from the building quite quickly. Once outside it didn't take Nobutora or Konpeki long to find the car and get inside, all that remained was direction.

After a while, Angela started to get hungry. She noticed that she didn’t have anything to eat since her departure from Kyoto. She decided to take a walk to the nearest Quickie Eats. She remembered from her training to not stand out in a foreign place, and went to a thrift store to buy some local civilian clothes but first going to a currency machine to get cash in the local currency. After checking the virtual wall map on the side of a building, she noticed that her short walk carried her halfway to hangar 7D. After reasoning with herself, she thought it would be better to arrive early at hangar 7D, than wait around for Karasu. As soon as Angela got to the thrift store she brought 2 pair of outfits. She changed from her Star Army duty uniforms into one of the local civilian outfits that she saw the majority of the populace wearing. She stuffed the remaining outfit and her uniform into her duffel bag and hurried to the Quickie Eats after checking the time. After grabbing a quick bite at the Quickie Eats she had spent a total of 90 KS.

Angela decided to walk the rest of the way to hangar 7D, taking in the sights, sounds and smell of the area. After a few minutes she comes to the right hangar with thirty minutes to spare. She walked into the hangar, this one equally as huge as the others. She walked into bay 14 which the Shosa told her the ship was in and stopped. The YSS Genei sat peacefully on the floor of the hangar that she was stored in. Gloriously undersized compared to any other ship in the Empire, save for her sister ships, the hangar that she rested in seemed almost too large for the ship. "This gotta be the right bay." she thought. She has been studying all the different types of equipment, weapons, and ships of the empire during training. Its size and shape resembled a Yuuko-class Gunboat. She turned back to the bay entrance and confirmed that she was in the proper bay. Slinging her duffle bag over her shoulder she approached the ship. Sure enough, there was the designation for the Genei. Seeing that the ship appear to be undergoing a refit. She decided to wait at the bow of the ship for the welcoming party.

Jime slinked into the proper hangar, taking note that Hitomo was already standing in front of the ship. She approached the other neko, coming up beside her and looking down from her noticeably higher viewpoint. She stared at the girl placidly, sizing her up. Her file said she was born a Yamataian, and therefore lacked the inherent psychology of a Nekovalkyrja. "Jyoo, Yamataian. Vot are you vaiting for, girl, someone to hold your hand? You're in army intelligence, for heaven's sake." Jime gave her a critical glare before brushing past her and approaching the ship to board it.

Not wanting to risk detection now, when they had so successfully left the premises of NovaCorp, Nobutora paused for no decorum about shoving Sukimade into the backseat. He piled in himself, pushing the unconscious man over before drawing his NSP again, holding it inconspicuously down at his side, just in case the terrorist woke up. Glancing out before closing the door behind him, he caught Eika's eyes. "My presence in the back is adequate. Please take a seat in the front." Turning back, he stiffened up quite suddenly as he noticed their colleague in the driver's seat. In his haste, he had failed to properly scan the interior of the car before entering; he could only hope that Eika had noticed, because if it had been another terrorist in the front seat rather than Rokunohe, Nobutora would have been a dead man. Swallowing a burst of self-directed anger, he leaned up between the front seats a bit. "Ah, Rokunohe-hei," he began, but paused as he got a better look at the man. "You do not look to be very well. Are you in need of medical assistance?"

Konpeki had noticed Aeto in the target vehicle as they approached thanks to the SACOS. Good Rokunohe-hei has gotten to the vehicle, I was concerned we would have to wait for him to join us. she thought, but she did not see him well enough to notice that he was injured.

She opened the other door to the front of the vehicle and got in. "Rokunohe-Hei, if you are fit to do so, drive away from here. If you do not feel sufficient for the task, then I will take your place. Once we are way from here, we should contact the Shosa and find out where she wants us to bring the prisoner. And what happened to you?"

Angela was admiring the ship, when she sense that someone was approaching behind her. She looked over her shoulder, to see a tall, thin, Neko walking towards her. She turned around already knowing that it was Jime, by her file and her cat-like walk. Angela thought to herself “Oh my, that’s the tallest Neko I’ve seen so far. And why did she call me a Yamataian, she must’ve read my file like I did hers.” Upon hearing Jime spoke, she quickly noticed the accent and wonder what her original language was. The thought of learning about her culture and language excited her. But then again with a glare like that, it might be difficult to talk with her. She filed in behind her and made her way up the ramp into the launch bay. She paused to look at how small the corridors were and instinctively thought about Jime’s height. At least I don't have worry too much about stooping over. Angela heard the computer acknowledge that people were on board. She walked into the passageway, looking for a place to put her gear. After a bit of exploration she found the crew quarters. She put her gear into one of the storage lockers and went to find Jime. She thought to herself, “The crew is on a mission now; maybe I should contact the Shosa and find out what she wants us to do.” Upon finding her she asked, “Did you receive any orders from the Shosa?” Hoping that Jime was not feeling feisty, she braced for the answer. Not out of fear but for in anticipation her first real-life mission.

"No. Neither of you did." Came a voice from the Genei. Seconds later out stepped a nekovalkyrja with shoulder length jet black hair. "Santo-Heis, Angela Hitomo and Karasu Jime I presume?" the neko approached the pair clad in a Type 31 Dress Uniform whose ship patch matched that of the Genei but was not wearing a rank pin of any kind.

Angela immediately stood ramrod straight at attention and saluted. “Santo Hei Angela Hitomo, reporting for duty ma’am.” She was beginning to think that Jime and she was the only one on the ship. That’s when she noticed that the Shosa was using holographic projection to change her hair color. Angela thought to herself, “They crew must be undercover on this mission, which only means that this mission might take a while to complete.” Angela saw that the Shosa was looking questioningly at her uniform, and she looked and discovered that her rank was missing. She reached into her pocket and attached the Santo Hei rank to her uniform.

((Spartan, I think you misunderstood Mizu.))
((And everyone, just pretend Jime is always talking with an eastern European accent. I just can't stand writing her "would"s as "vould"s. It sets off the OCD alarms.))

Jime boarded the vessel and stowed her sparse belongings without incident. She was halfway to the bridge to check for other - not Yamataian - crew, when she was intercepted by Angela. Jime hardly had time to cast a demeaning glance at her before she was cut short by someone else.

Jime gave an acknowledging nod in response to the woman. She ignored Angela, not believing this woman to be a superior officer - though, thankfully, legitimately a Nekovalkyrja. Kind of. "Good day," she said in a friendly tone (by her personal standards), her face remaining emotionless. "I would assume you are a sprite? What might I be calling you?" Jime cocked her head slightly to the side, her big cat eyes contemplating the other Neko.

"Don't worry about it. I've been through worse at a laundromat." Aeto replied, unshaking a crossed eyed at Konpeki before edging slowly out of the parking space. He gave a quick look to Nobutora while looking ahead. Listening for the sirens.

"I'd squeal out of here and have us on the road faster than a well lubed fist, but we've got heat headed our way. Well."

Aeto's sly, near closed excuse for eyes looked to Konpeki from his mirror. "We could just do it the hard way." he shrugged. "Or do we have some directions? Either way works for me. I just hope the rest of you don't mind a little offroading."

He reached to the back seat, nudging their unconscious captive while making kissy faces. "Huu huu. I don't think he minds either."

“Heat?” replied Nobutora questioningly; he was prepared to accept that Rokunohe was not too injured to continue without immediate attention, but he could not help questioning if some blow to the head had made the already seemingly erratic man, well, rather more erratic. “I’m afraid I do not comprehend your specific meaning. However, I do not believe egressing from the scene the ‘hard way’ would be at all beneficial towards ensuring the success of this operation. And certainly attracting attention by ‘off-roading’ would hardly be positive either,” he concluded with a little grimace of disdain. “I will contact the Shosa,” he said, falling silent as he opened up a telepathic link. ”Ma’am, we have reached the car, without having been followed, so far as I can ascertain. Rokunhe-hei is present as well and thinks, I believe, that there may be some complications ahead. Do you have any directives, ma’am?”

Angela turned to look at the extremely feline-like Nekovalkyrja, and was taken aback the mention of being a sprite and by Jime's feline appearance. She almost felt compiled to pat her and hear her purr, but the emotionless like on her face stop her dead. Angela paused for a moment to collect herself, to not go into fighter mode. Once her adrenaline had stabilized, she said in an upbeat voice “I was under the impression that you read my file. Since, we haven’t had time to properly introduce ourselves. My name is Santo Hei Angela Hitomo, intelligence operative of SAINT. And no I'm not a sprite. I dislike slavery myself.” With curiosity stirring inside her, she asked, “What were you before being transferred to a Neko’s body?” Angela was hoping that she could be on friendly terms with Jime before they go into operation. She didn’t want to watch her flanks as well as her front. And besides Jime seems like someone to have on your side.

Yoshiko was already quickly working a solution for the group, but it wasn't quite ready yet. "If you can find somewhere to lay low for a little bit I would recommend it. Try not to draw any more attention to yourselves, there seems to have been an attempted carjacking in the area." Yoshiko conveniently left out the description of the perpetrator for Aeto's sake. "Don't bring him back here though, we don't want to accidentally lead the terrorists to our base of operations."

------------------------

The unidentified Nekovalkyrja remained silent while the pair conversed, only shifting her eyes to from Jime to Angela as they spoke. "I am not a sprite." the Nekovalkyrja spoke, "I am the Genei Yuki, avatar of the YSS Genei. Either Genei or Yuki will do fine. For all intents and purposes I outrank both of you. While I do enjoy this little bit of conversation we are having, I do feel it is necessary that we commence with the mission briefing." Yuki didn't give much time for the pair to agree or disagree with her, rather she motioned in the direction of the Wardroom. Little green arrows materialized out of thin air indicating the path that the pair should take. "I am sure that the ship's layout is unfamiliar to both of you as it is an experimental vessel. Currently there are only 6 other ships of her class within the First Expeditionary Fleet, the Genei is of course classified."

”Understood.” Nobutora glanced about the parking lot for a moment before opening his mouth. “The Shosa concurs that we ought not draw attention to ourselves. She has directed us to proceed, discreetly,” he said, with no subtlety in his emphasis, “to a secure location. The Shosa does not wish us to potentially compromise our operations center by bring him back.” Sukimade happened to twitch right as he finished speaking; Nobutora pushed him over in the seat a bit. “If there are any such locations nearby, I would suggest we move in their direction immediately.” He fell silent again, looking at Sukimade and thinking about the twitch. It crossed his mind for a moment to shoot the man again, just to make sure, but it would have been an inefficient expenditure of NSP energy.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back